The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 05:59 PM
Serene Highness

I do not shoot myself but my father-in-law does and he told me that even if Edward didn't strike the dogs the whole act of raising his stick was inappropriate. When I asked why he said that a fearful dog will always be too nervous to be much use in the field and when I showed him pics of Edward and his antics I could see he was unhappy to say the least. "That dog is terrified!" he said on the last picture and said it didn't matter that the dog hadn't actually been struck but that it had been threatend.

Old 12-28-2008, 06:10 PM
Majesty

Right you, Kezza. We do not know what exactly prompted Prince Edward to swipe a stick at his dogs. He made a decision to do so by taking all factors into consideration. At the same time, it is really unpleasant to see the animal rights activists going overboard in cases such as this one.

Old 12-28-2008, 06:10 PM
Imperial Majesty

Sorry Bella, I must have misunderstood your post.
---------------
It just annoys me that apart from anything else, the 'there are no pictures showing the dog had been hit', is beside the point. Just because Edward is a rotten shot, did not stop him from trying, imagine if he had broken it's back or smashed it's skull, I also wonder what treatment it will receive back in the kennels.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kezza View Post
if he is guilty of cruelty for waving or swiping a stick at his dog to stop them from having a disagreement. Then charge my family and I for the samething.
In this country you quite possibly would be, if caught on camera or reported! I say again - The dogs were not having a disagreement, they were not fighting with one another, they were pulling at the same bird, not one another.
Old 12-28-2008, 06:13 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_bina View Post
We do not know what exactly prompted Prince Edward to swipe a stick at his dogs. He made a decision to do so by considering the situation
I don't think any consideration went into it, it rather seems as if he had a temper tantrum!
Quote:
At the same time, it is really unpleasant to see the animal rights activists going overboard in cases such as this one.
I haven't read any articles from any animal rights activists, perhaps you would care to post some links?
Old 12-28-2008, 06:19 PM
Majesty

The groups mentioned in the Daily Mail article are Animal Aid and League Against Cruel Sports. Now the serious investigation will be launched.
Quote:
... Andrew Tyler, director of pressure group Animal Aid, said: ‘Hitting out at a dog makes them fearful, traumatised and breaks any bond of trust. It’s not only morally dubious but it’s counterproductive.
'If Prince Edward made contact with either dog, it is a breach of the Animal Welfare Act, which makes it an offence to cause unnecessary suffering to an animal.’
Quote:
Barry Hugill, from the League Against Cruel Sports, said: ‘I would not be at all surprised about Prince Edward mistreating a dog. This is a young man who has been brought up to regard it as his right to slaughter and mistreat animals for pleasure.’
Old 12-28-2008, 06:22 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_bina View Post
The groups mentioned in the Daily Mail article is Animal Aid and League Against Cruel Sports. Now the serious investigation will be launched.
They are not 'animal activist organisations, they are both animal welfare organisations! Now if you want activists, wait till PETA have commented!
Old 12-28-2008, 06:25 PM
Majesty

I see no big difference between PETA and the other organisations, whose major aim is to protect animal welfare. Personally I think that the whole situation has been blown out of proportions.
Old 12-28-2008, 06:51 PM
Serene Highness

You're so right, Sky. Actually, the more info. that comes out the more I'm starting to believe he was having a typical tantrum and the unfortunate dog took the brunt. He's sketchy anyhow.
Old 12-28-2008, 09:41 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan
What is the matter with Edward? He's always been a waste of time, all he seems to does is throw queeny strops and mince about the place as though he were God's gift. Ghastly little man.
You have it in a nutshell!

I have to admit that the absence of a shot of him actually hitting the dog leads me to suspect he didn't. It would have been full front page tabloid fodder, and half page in the serious rags.

That being said, I believe he is a sniveling coward to abuse and terrorise the dogs in any way. He obviously lost the plot, blamed the dogs and had a hissy fit, which would be really funny if he hadn't terrorised the dogs.

Anger breeds terror, terror causes dogs to revert to survival mode and bite back. In this case I hope his butt is on the receiving end.

And believe me, dogs have very long memories . . . . .
Old 12-29-2008, 03:03 AM
Aristocracy

Those dogs were having a disagreement i've seen that bodylanguage displayed by those dogs in my dogs when they have arguements.
As far as i'm concern he has done nothing that I have not done or my my family have not done before with our dogs. If he wasn't a member of the Royal Family no-one would know or give a rats about it.
Old 12-29-2008, 04:59 AM
Serene Highness

Prince Edward could face RSPCA probe after lashing out at his dogs with stick | Mail Online

There is a pic in this article that clearly shows him striking the dog on it's head.
Old 12-29-2008, 05:32 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by angela View Post
Prince Edward could face RSPCA probe after lashing out at his dogs with stick | Mail Online There is a pic in this article that clearly shows him striking the dog on it's head.
I stand corrected angela. The rest of my post remains.
Old 12-29-2008, 05:41 AM
Royal Highness

What awful pictures, those of Edward and his dogs. I already think it is awful to hunt for hunting´s sake, and can´t immagine a person who is intelligent and well brought up and especially born in England, acting like that.
I also think the Wessex couple go a little too far in refusing to portrait their children at least once a year for Christmas. After all, he is the Queen´s son and hasn´t refused titles for himself and his son. It´s one thing to try to preserve the privacy of one´s children, but another to completely annul the same children from the public.
Old 12-29-2008, 08:31 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
I say again - The dogs were not having a disagreement, they were not fighting with one another, they were pulling at the same bird, not one another.
Prince Edward could face RSPCA probe after lashing out at his dogs with stick | Mail Online

when looking at the latest pics (DM updated link) i agree with you. knowing a bit about hunting, these dogs are usually tough and well trained, their education is also tough. fighting over prey is certainly not what edward expected from his trained hunting dogs therefore he was annoyed. however, this does not justify his actions and especially in his position he should be careful about what he does in public. it doesn't take rocket science to figure out that photographers are in the area when a royal is out hunting. we've seen many pictures of william, harry etc, even HM wringing a pheasant's neck, what was probably sportsmenlike but still not nice to watch. beating his dogs with a stick in public is a no-no but i agree with the other posters who blame that a bit on edward's character. to me he has always been the one who is a bit odd and does not live up to any expectation at all. he is lacking any charisma, seems to be arrogant and frustrated and thrive on his title because there is little else. hiding away his children from the public for no obvious reason but not ashamed to milk both worlds, the royal and non-royal one to his favour, then telling everyone "neither is your business", that's edward.
Old 12-29-2008, 11:01 AM
Courtier

There are no pics of Edward actually hitting the dogs or they would have been on the cover.

A little news flash here for anyone not aware of how the British press or the Animal Cruelty Groups works in the UK. A little message went out on Christmas demanding pics of the royals hunting and they got it. That simple the newspapers already had decided what there article was about. Unfortunately for Edward, if he hadn't had a run in with his dogs - it would have been Peter Philips' pic with all the pheasants. The press were waiting for this pic.

First little note - these were not Edward's dogs as many of the stories would have you believe. They were therefore strange dogs to Edward and it is unlikely that Edward would have known how they would have acted. For example I recently walked a friend's dog and where my dog understands when a pull the lead one way to follow this dog simply would not go, not even a nudge would get him to move and than the dog attacked me for simply wanting him to move.
A friend of mine who works for the RSPCA thinks this is the funniest crap that the animal cruelty people come up with. You know those that think that it is not alright for people to shot foxes but totally alright to them to dig up dead grandmothers to prove points. Needless to say he says - what else was Edward to do to remove to fighting dogs to each other - yell, blow a whistle, shot warning shots, run inside an get a hose pipe of water, take a dog on himself. Or better yet simply let the two dogs at it. That probably would have made a better newspaper cover. And for those of you wondering I have been told that letting the dog get away with the pheasant in order to eat it would have resulted in the dog getting seriously ill and possibly dying.

Edward did what he thought was best in the situation. I was in a similiar situation and certainly had reservations afterwards, but at the time it was the only thing I could think of to pull the two dogs apart.

The Queen should just let the RSPCA look at all the dogs on the estate they are a sure bunch better treated then the majority of dogs in the UK and have the matter said and done.
Old 12-29-2008, 11:28 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
There are no pics of Edward actually hitting the dogs or they would have been on the cover.
There is a pic on DM homepage Home | Mail Online (main stories right hand side) but it hasn't found its way in the actual article.

This pic today is cover story of various UK tabloids.
Old 12-29-2008, 11:34 AM
Courtier

It is always sad the way people always tend to believe the worst of people especially if the media is against them.

So before this becomes an argument. I would like to point out that Edward, like the Duke of Edinburgh and several members of the royal family are hunters in order to eat. They only kill what is needed to eat. I simply do to M& S but I know that someone somewhere has killed my chicken/duck/turkey for me. It is not my place or purpose to impress on other people my lifestyle and I don't do it in life or chat rooms.
Edward allows people in Bagshot to drop off wildlife like hedgehogs and porcupines into his estate. He even lets local walkers and girl guides and scouts in to see them in their local habitat. And yes, was in a depression after he had to put his beloved dog down after it was diagonised with a brain tumor. When you don't know someone at all and only get a inkling for their life through a tainted press. What right do you have to judge their character? No wonder they feel need to protect their children.
Old 12-29-2008, 11:39 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
There is a pic on DM homepage Home | Mail Online (main stories right hand side) but it hasn't found its way in the actual article.

This pic today is cover story of various UK tabloids.

The problem with the pic is that the dimension is off, the stick could be in front of the dog. Like those pics of people pushing the Leaning Tower of Pisa :)
Old 12-29-2008, 11:57 AM
Courtier

Whose dogs were it BTW?

I recall having seen one pic of Peter and Autumn and a black lab ... was one of the dogs Peter's? And the other one?
Old 12-29-2008, 12:00 PM
Courtier

Claire, thanks for this info. Sorry to hear that Edward's dog had a brain tumor. This is definitly a very sad thing to go through. Hardly anything you can do, only watch a perpetual decline. Watching this decline is even worse than the actual death. One of the most horrible things to go through indeed.

Closed Thread

Tags
countess of wessex, earl of wessex, lady louise, lady louise mountbatten-windsor, louise mountbatten-windsor, prince edward, sophie, viscount severn