The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 12:42 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Monaco and Sweden

The Earl of Wessex has been in Winchester, Hampshire today, January 29, to open the St. Alphege Building at the University of Winchester, to unveil a commemorative roundel to mark The Queen's Diamond Jubilee at a reception in the Great Hall and to visit Winchester Cathedral.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 **

** zimbio gallery: Prince Edward Opens The St Alphege **

** itv.com: New Jubilee sculpture unveiled **

** dailyecho.co.uk: Earl of Wessex opens new building for University of Winchester **

Old 01-31-2013, 08:17 AM
Courtier

Border Union could finally share pics from BUAS event, gallery is here:
Untitled Album | Facebook

Old 01-31-2013, 10:29 AM
Heir Presumptive

Thanks for this Anna. It looks like Sophie is receiving a tie for Edward. Hilarious.

Thanks Iceflower for the images of Edward. I love his tie!
Old 01-31-2013, 12:01 PM
Courtier

Her Royal Highness The Countess of Wessex GCVO has officially become the Royal Patron of the Leeds Children’s Hospital.
Royal Patron announced for Leeds Children
Old 01-31-2013, 01:17 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by annaelfka View Post
Her Royal Highness The Countess of Wessex GCVO has officially become the Royal Patron of the Leeds Children’s Hospital.
Royal Patron announced for Leeds Children

Great news
Sophie is amazing person...
Old 01-31-2013, 01:20 PM
Heir Presumptive

Lucky Leeds Children's Hospital, what a great Patron you have. I wish she would become the patron of the hospital where I work! It is times like this that I really dislike Charles' decision when he becomes King to reduce the number of working Royals. All these hospitals and charities will lose helpful patrons, but that is another argument in itself as we all know.
Old 01-31-2013, 01:32 PM
Majesty

That is great news. I'm sure HRH will be a great asset to the hospital.

No matter how slim the monarchy get, I think the other royals will continue to support their charities.
Old 01-31-2013, 01:47 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molly2101 View Post
Lucky Leeds Children's Hospital, what a great Patron you have. I wish she would become the patron of the hospital where I work! It is times like this that I really dislike Charles' decision when he becomes King to reduce the number of working Royals. All these hospitals and charities will lose helpful patrons, but that is another argument in itself as we all know.
And yet no one has ever been able to produce any evidence that this is actually his stated intention. The number of royals will reduce over time simply because the elders will retire/pass away and there are fewer people to take their place.
Old 01-31-2013, 01:57 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
And yet no one has ever been able to produce any evidence that this is actually his stated intention. The number of royals will reduce over time simply because the elders will retire/pass away and there are fewer people to take their place.
That is true, there is no written evidence that stipulate this is his intention. I am simply going on rumours written about his intentions.
Old 01-31-2013, 08:29 PM
Nobility

I don't think the nieces and nephews will be cut off. I think it will be Pay Per View. They will be paid per event, and have a career of their choosing, and some from the purse.
Old 01-31-2013, 08:35 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molly2101 View Post
That is true, there is no written evidence that stipulate this is his intention. I am simply going on rumours written about his intentions.
This is a post by me that is in the Moarchy under Charles thread. Sorry but I dont know how to do a link...

We mentioned on a variety of threads, most notably in recent days the Beatrice and Eugenie trip, about Prince Charles wanting a slim line monarchy. And I've asked where is the evidence.

I found the following today on the Royal Reporter Twitter account of Richard Palmer of the Express.

Richard Palmer‏@RoyalReporter
@jennyg2k The idea of Charles wanting a slimmer monarchy seems based on a 1990s briefing by one spin doctor trying to big him up at the time

2:18 AM - 22 Jan 13 · Details

Richard Palmer‏@RoyalReporter@jennyg2k It may be true Charles wants a slimmed down monarchy but I know of nobody inside the Royal Household who is briefing that

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 02-01-2013, 10:50 AM
Heir Presumptive

Thanks cepe for your post. I think we will only find this out as years go by and seeing if Charles lets Beatrice and Eugenie perform any duties.

Anna, I am aiming this question at you as I feel you will know! In the photos on Facebook of Sophie at the luncheon, is her bracelet on her left wrist new?
Old 02-01-2013, 01:29 PM
Courtier

Haha Molly! I saw that bracelet on the first tiny pics, but pics were so tiny that I didn't do any close-ups. Now we have more pics, with a tiny bit better view.
Yes, it is deffinitwly new piece. Maybe it came from the box from the WheelPower’s charity event? I wonder if those bags were Tiffany... But Tiffany for so many people? Or maybe they paid for it. Ehh, any way, it is most likely silver bangle. Tiffany does carry such bangles. But it is only speculation.
Old 02-07-2013, 04:47 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Monaco and Sweden

Today, February 7, the Earl of Wessex inspected award winning buildings for the Diamond Jubilee Windsor and Eton Facelift Project, Eton, Berkshire and opened the Diamond Jubilee Centre, Lambrook School, Berkshire.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 **

** windsorexpress.co.uk: Prince Edward praises town's makeover in Windsor and Eton visit **

** windsorobserver.co.uk: The Earl of Wessex tours Windsor and Eton to approve facelift project **
Old 02-08-2013, 02:42 PM
Majesty

JB‏@Royal_beans
HRH Prince Edward, The Earl of Wessex is being lined up to become the new chancellor of the University of Bath.
Old 02-09-2013, 01:16 PM
Heir Presumptive

Thanks Icequeen for the images of Edward. I do love his hankerchiefs in his suit jackets. Very dapper. Louise will be set for presents for her dad - funny ties and hankerchiefs!

Dman, what does chancellor of a University actually mean?

Edit: I read about it on the university's website. Now I understand. New Chancellor

Am I the only one who is welcoming the idea of seeing Edward in a graduation/chancellor gown and floppy hat with a tassel?
Old 02-09-2013, 01:24 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
JB‏@Royal_beans
HRH Prince Edward, The Earl of Wessex is being lined up to become the new chancellor of the University of Bath.
I doubt he is willing to give up his royal life and engagements to become the Chancellor of a University. His job would be to oversee the school and it would be incompatible with his royal role.
Old 02-09-2013, 02:25 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by grevinnan View Post
I doubt he is willing to give up his royal life and engagements to become the Chancellor of a University. His job would be to oversee the school and it would be incompatible with his royal role.
The Chancellor in the UK and other Commonwealth countries is not the same as in the US. The Chancellors role is a ceremonial position not an administrative or academic one and several members of the BRF have held such roles.
Old 02-09-2013, 03:17 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by grevinnan View Post
The Prince of Wales is Chancellor of The University of Wales.

HRH Princess Anne is currently Chancellor of The University of Edinburgh, she succeded her father in 2011 who had held the position since 1953. Anne is also Chancellor of The University of London succeded her grandmother in 1981.

HRH The Duke of Kent is chancellor of The University of Surrey.

HRH The Duke of Gloucester is chancellor of The University of Worcester.

The Queen is also an official "visitor" an overseer of The University of Bedforshire, The University of Lancaster, Leicester, Belfast and Reading.

Chancellor is a ceremonial head position, the Vice-Chancellor is the guy that runs the show.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:44 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

I'm confused why aren't there threads for Edward and Sophie's current events separately?

@RoyalReporter: Another royal visit to Northern Ireland. Prince Edward today went to Ardaluin Outdoor Activity Centre in Newcastle, Co Down.