The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 08:52 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by annaelfka View Post
Hi another amazing pictures of Sophie, I found by accident, where is press on those events??? If that would be Kate, they would be all over her. She looks stunning!
Haven Dinner | Charity | Tim Hardy Photographer
I quite agree, but now maybe some of you that are younger will begin to understand why Diana's effect was so polarizing. She was the "it" girl then as The Duchess of Cambridge is now. It's not fair, it's not earned, it's silly and yet there it is.

And I in no way mean to imply that I did not love Diana and don't love Kate - because I did and do. It just makes clear that goods deeds are not enough in today's pop media world.

Old 01-04-2013, 12:39 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmirerUS View Post
I quite agree, but now maybe some of you that are younger will begin to understand why Diana's effect was so polarizing. She was the "it" girl then as The Duchess of Cambridge is now. It's not fair, it's not earned, it's silly and yet there it is.

And I in no way mean to imply that I did not love Diana and don't love Kate - because I did and do. It just makes clear that goods deeds are not enough in today's pop media world.
I know exactly what you mean! And because of constant articles in press about Catherine (more stupid than informative) I'm starting to have an "ick factor".
How many times can I read the same article about her hair, dressses and so on... or how perfect she is.
Now, I'm starting to appreaciate royals who work, and earn their respect... I still love Kate, I miss Diana, but for now, my IT girl is Sophie.
But still Sophie is in better position, than Princess Royal she is the hardest working royal, and doesn't get any mention in press at all....

Old 01-04-2013, 12:53 PM
Heir Presumptive

I think the obsession with Diana was ridiculous, and I feel the same about the obsession with Catherine. It isn't fair and it's not healthy, but it's there and it's the way it will always be. I think that William will protect Catherine and their children in a way that Charles couldn't, which is good.

I do find it a shame that Sophie does not receive the press attention she deserves, but she is "only" married to the Queen's youngest son. (I say "only" as in my eyes that makes Edward a Senior Royal, but others do not agree.) Sophie is my "it" girl too, Anna right now. She makes anything she attends worth viewing and I would so love to meet her. I am hoping I will come across her in Bagshot village one day when I am visiting my friend who lives in the same village. One can only hope...
Old 01-04-2013, 01:11 PM
Serene Highness

I think Sophie is a great mum and hard-working royal. She is beautiful with an amazing figure and impeccable fashion sense and its really no wonder the Queen relies so much on her and Edward when it comes to representing HM abroad.
Edward and Sophie are very well respected throughout the Commonwealth and with continental royal families and I think they will play an even bigger royal within the BRF when Charles is King.
Old 01-04-2013, 05:25 PM
Serene Highness

I just think Edward and Sophie are a great married couple and Sophie is a very hard-working and glamorous member of the BRF and IMO at least, she and Edward will always have a role within the family.
Old 01-04-2013, 05:28 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke-of-Earl View Post
I just think Edward and Sophie are a great married couple and Sophie is a very hard-working and glamorous member of the BRF and IMO at least, she and Edward will always have a role within the family.
I agree 100% and so will Anne and Andrew.

These two are excellent ambassadors for the BRF and the country. And although there is speculation, I would be amazed when Edward is created Duke of Edinburgh his brother turns round and says - we don't need you anymore.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 01-04-2013, 05:30 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
Where is the evidence for this? It keeps on being said but I haven't read this except from journalists who I don't trust anyway.

I know it is thought that the queen made a point of highlighting the keys royals for the future at her jubilee, but again this was speculation.

If there is hard and fast evidence, where is it?
Well, no there is no "hard and fast evidence", but it's very likely to happen. The Jubilee balcony appearance was likely a subtle note for the future. For her Golden Jubilee, the entire family were there but not for the Diamond Jubilee. I would not like it to happen, but I just feel it probably will. Edward and Sophie (and Anne and Andrew) will probably still carry out engagements, but it will most probably not be on the same scale as they do now.

I totally agree that Edward and Sophie are great ambassadors for the British Royal Family, and I really hope that Charles fulfils his mother's wise to make Edward the next Duke of Edinburgh, as it can only happen upon both Elizabeth and Philip's deaths. It is widely reported that Charles and Edward do not necessarily "get along", but it would be severely disappointing to Edward if he was never created Duke of Edinburgh considering the amount of work he (and Sophie) do for it.
Old 01-04-2013, 05:31 PM
Serene Highness

^^^^ Anne is a given and Andrew works very hard for the family but the press gives him flack.
I think Charles will find he needs his family because they don't deserve to be cast aside.
Old 01-04-2013, 05:37 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molly2101 View Post
Well, no there is no "hard and fast evidence", but it's very likely to happen. The Jubilee balcony appearance was likely a subtle note for the future. For her Golden Jubilee, the entire family were there but not for the Diamond Jubilee. I would not like it to happen, but I just feel it probably will. Edward and Sophie (and Anne and Andrew) will probably still carry out engagements, but it will most probably not be on the same scale as they do now.

I totally agree that Edward and Sophie are great ambassadors for the British Royal Family, and I really hope that Charles fulfils his mother's wise to make Edward the next Duke of Edinburgh, as it can only happen upon both Elizabeth and Philip's deaths. It is widely reported that Charles and Edward do not necessarily "get along", but it would be severely disappointing to Edward if he was never created Duke of Edinburgh considering the amount of work he (and Sophie) do for it.
I think that they will continue and that they will be involved in the plan to reduce royal engagements/expectations over time the way ahead group will continue). After Andrew, Anne Sophie and Edward, there is no one to follow them from their families. So there needs to be a plan in place. Charles may not be everyone's favourite but he isn't stupid. I think he values the work they do but may not be "close" to Edward who is over 10 years younger. Not surprising really.

Old 01-04-2013, 05:45 PM
Serene Highness

I will just add, Edward and Sophie are very popular in Canada and although the don't receive the headlines of some others, the couple work hard and represent the Royal Family very well
Edward and Sophie's first overseas tour was to Canada and that bond continues today.
Canada will have a few questions for King Charles if the glamorous Sophie and steadfast Edward were to never make a return visit to Canada during his reign.
Old 01-04-2013, 05:50 PM
Heir Presumptive

I hope so to cepe, I really do. I would hate to see them disappear! Duke-of-Earl, I love that the Wessex couple are well liked in Canada. They have a Private Secretary and a Lady-in-Waiting in Canada, which I believe is rare as only the Queen and Philip have staff in Canada.
Old 01-04-2013, 06:02 PM
Heir Presumptive

I have never cared for Edward and Sophie.

Kate always had a great deal of criticism (that whole WaityKatie business...yet nothing was said of Sophie when she was waiting around for ages for Edward to propose). I have always seen her as a social-climber, though perhaps I am being unfair. Nevertheless, that is my perception.

As for Edward, he just irritates me! Every time I see him rigged out in uniform with a raft of medals, I wonder why he isn't embarrassed to be seen like that.

I've always thought him rather petulant and arrogant, and my opinion hasn't changed over the years.
Old 01-04-2013, 06:37 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
I have never cared for Edward and Sophie.

Kate always had a great deal of criticism (that whole WaityKatie business...yet nothing was said of Sophie when she was waiting around for ages for Edward to propose). I have always seen her as a social-climber, though perhaps I am being unfair. Nevertheless, that is my perception.

As for Edward, he just irritates me! Every time I see him rigged out in uniform with a raft of medals, I wonder why he isn't embarrassed to be seen like that.

I've always thought him rather petulant and arrogant, and my opinion hasn't changed over the years.
You obviously have not done your research. There were MANY articles about Sophie waiting for Edward when they were together for 5 years. Many articles claiming that Edward was "waiting for someone else to come along," "Edward is going to dump Sophie" etc. Edward was never as high profile as William, therefore his girlfriend would never have had as much press attention, but there were certainly many articles written. There were articles about Sophie demanding Edward propose or she would leave him, there were articles stating they lived together in Buckingham Palace, which both refused outright and there were articles saying that the Queen had asked Edward "to make up his mind or else."

None of the medals Edward wears are for service. He wears the medals he has received for his mother's Jubilee's (even Sophie has a Golden and Diamond Jubilee Medal) and an honorary medal for a position. He wears the uniforms because he holds the honorary positions. It would be rude of him NOT to wear them at events as his mother gave them to him. I am sure Edward is fully aware he did not see active service, and I for one think it's good that he dropped out when he knew it wasn't for him. It takes a brave man to do that and bare the brunt of a father like Prince Philip.

And how can you call Sophie a social climber and not use the term for any other "common" woman who has married a Prince? They are all the same if that is the term you are using. They all married well above themselves, have all become "Royal" and climbed many social ladders simply by saying "I do" and wearing a flashy ring on their finger.
Old 01-04-2013, 06:42 PM
Heir Apparent

Sophie may have waited a while for Edward to pop the question but she continued with her career at the same time. They were dating during the years of the War of the Wales's and then the aftermath of Diana's death so not the optimum time for a royal wedding.
Anyway, how long is too long for a couple to be together before marrying? What about too short a time? Someone must have forgotten to give me the rule book.
Old 01-04-2013, 06:44 PM
Heir Apparent

I agree Molly

Regarding medals - these are the one's Edward wears:

10 March 1977: Queen Elizabeth II Silver Jubilee Medal
1990: New Zealand Commemorative Medal
2 June 2002: Queen Elizabeth II Golden Jubilee Medal
7 June 2005: Commemorative Medal for the Centennial of Saskatchewan
2012: Queen Elizabeth II Diamond Jubilee Medal

Old 01-04-2013, 06:45 PM
Serene Highness

With regards to Edwards military medals and and appointments, in Canada alone Edward has the following appointments
Honorary military appointments

Canada Source wikipedia Prince Edward, Earl of Wessex - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 01-04-2013, 06:48 PM
Courtier

To make your day brighter, pics of Countess from
Festival of Remembrance 2012:

Royal British Legion Festival of Remembrance - Images | Chris Christodoulou
Old 01-04-2013, 06:51 PM
Majesty

Part of the problem for Edward and Sophie is that I believe they were planning to announce their engagement about the time of their parents 50th wedding anniversary but...Diana's death interrupted those plans as they didn't want to be seen having a joyous occasion while many were still mourning Diana - particularly the boys as they were then. They then decided to wait until after the first anniversary of her death so that ruled out the summer of 1998 and thus the summer of 1999 was decided upon - and the announcement was made to fit into that time-scale.

As for working when Charles is King - yes Andrew, Edward, Sophie and Anne will continue to do so but the main representatives of the monarch will be William and Kate with Harry and his wife (assuming he marries) doing more of the high profile stuff such as European royal weddings, major overseas tours and so on while the others step back due to age and distance from the throne.

The medals Edward wears are comparable to those worn by William - he has two - both Jubilee medals and Harry has three - two jubilee medals and one Afghanistan service medal. Strangley many members of the military and other services have the jubilee medals - they are for being in the right place at the right time such as having been in the service for 5 years at the time of a jubilee (or in the case of VC winners who are no longer serving - all living VC winners, regardless of whether they are still in the military or not were given the Jubilee medals in a special ceremony).

Sometimes it is harder to leave a position than it is to stick to it - Edward realised that the marines weren't for him and is criticised for that fact rather than being praised for realising that the military wasn't right and that he needed to take is life in a different direction, despite family expectations and traditions. He has made it easier for younger sons, in particular, to not join the military at all as in previous generations only the sickly were excused e.g. Leopold.

The Jubilee Balcony was actually a tribute to Queen Victoria as much as anything. At her Diamond Jubilee Victoria had only herself, Albert Edward (Edward VII), Alexandra and their children and grandchildren on the balcony - none of her other children. The Queen did the same thing for her Diamond Jubilee as Victoria did for hers - focus on the future line.
Old 01-04-2013, 06:51 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by annaelfka View Post
To make your day brighter, pics of Countess from
Festival of Remembrance 2012:

Royal British Legion Festival of Remembrance - Images | Chris Christodoulou

Anna, you make this thread worth the visit! Thanks for the images. Where do you find thessseeeee?
Old 01-04-2013, 07:20 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molly2101 View Post
Anna, you make this thread worth the visit! Thanks for the images. Where do you find thessseeeee?
THANK YOU!!
Literally hours in front of computer screen and instant searching.
I deal with neurosis, and it helps me forget about my troubles, and sooths my nerves.
BTW I know he did also pics from 2011 but he must have archived it... Too bad, Sophie was in 2011 as well, as I'm sure on every other year....