The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 10:35 AM
Heir Presumptive

He looks so much like his mum in the 3rd pic

Old 10-17-2012, 11:27 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
But they might be on friendly terms just because they are the ones who are always sent!

Imo, that's why the RF should send William or Harry, so they can get to know the continental royals and have a good relationship in the future.
William and Guillaume are the same age; why wouldn't they have more in common than with Edward?

(But it's like these events are some tiresome chore given to those who have nothing better to do! I know that's probably not the intent, but that's how it comes across to me).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Why send someone the wedding couple don't know or may not even like?
We know Edward and Sophie are firm friends with the majority of royals on the continent. It is even possible to assume that Edward and Sophie were invited themselves. I hate the way people think sending Sophie and Edward is a raw deal. You can see that Charles and William have and are unlikely to make any effort, so sending people who might actually enjoy themselves makes sense.
I think this is a complete misnomer that Charles & Camilla are not engaged with their royal counterparts. Just as an example, when C&C visited Stockholm easier this year, in his speech, the King revealed that Queen Silvia had recently made an impromptu visit to Highgrove - none of this was in the public domain until the Kings speech, and hardly the sign of a couple who do not know each other well. Similarly, at the dinner reception at BP that C&C hosted in May this year for visiting monarchs in connection with the diamond Jubilee, Camilla and Maria-Teresa of Luxembourg greeted each other with a familiarity and warmth that would suggest that the ladies know each other well. Similarly, Queen Margarethe clearly indicated in one the interviews she gave earlier this year (to either CNN or the BBC) that she meets up with Queen Beatrix and QE2 regularly. When pressed about where these meetings may take place, she replied "here and there", or something similar. None of these interactions are typically in the public domain, but corroborate my general view that HM, DoE, C&C are very careful of not being seen hobnobbing with too many royals at very public events, but do often see them privately.

As regards W&C, I suspect once they are full time working royals, you may see them engage a bit more and start to attend weddings of European royals, though I suspect this upcomign weding in Luxembourg may be the last big royal wedding for some time.

Old 10-17-2012, 12:10 PM
Serene Highness

Why is it important for W&C to have 'good working relations' with continental royals? Royal Families don't 'work' together and Britain's focus has always been on the realms.
If Edward and Sophie like this sort of thing, then they should go.
Old 10-17-2012, 02:59 PM
Heir Presumptive

Edward looks really tired in some of the photos. Thanks for the image links! Looking forward to seeing them at the wedding.
Old 10-18-2012, 08:57 AM
Heir Presumptive

That sundial! The Earl of Wessex officially dedicated a Jubilee Sundial in Roadford this week. This is the kind of thing that always intrigues me (Jubilee+sundial+location far off the beaten path, etc.).

I can find no pictures of the Earl at the site - but did find this lovely snap of the sundial, which is interesting and very striking in its setting.
Reflections on The Jubilee Sundial at Roadford Lake.jpg photo - John Farrar photos at pbase.com
Old 10-18-2012, 08:36 PM
Majesty

SOPHIE, COUNTESS OF WESSEX'S TASTE OF MILITARY LIFE-
Sophie, Countess of Wessex's taste of military life | World News | Express.co.uk - Home of the Daily and Sunday Express

I just like seeing Sophie dressed in her uniform as Royal Colonel of the 5th Battalion The Rifles.
Old 10-18-2012, 08:42 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
SOPHIE, COUNTESS OF WESSEX'S TASTE OF MILITARY LIFE-
Sophie, Countess of Wessex's taste of military life | World News | Express.co.uk - Home of the Daily and Sunday Express

I just like seeing Sophie dressed in her uniform as Royal Colonel of the 5th Battalion The Rifles.
I agree! This was a great article and now want to know who won!
Old 10-19-2012, 09:38 AM
Heir Presumptive

Smiling Sophie dons camouflage gear and a hard hat to oversee the third 'Countess of Wessex Cup' military skills competition | Mail Online
Old 10-19-2012, 11:48 AM
Serene Highness

Thanks for the links MagMil!!

Sophie always looks like she's having a blast when she's w/her Regiments. Love that first picture of her in full Military gear. She's just beaming. Love it!!
Old 10-19-2012, 05:01 PM
Heir Presumptive

More pictures of Sophie
Flickr: 20th Armoured Brigade's Photostream
Old 10-20-2012, 08:30 AM
Heir Presumptive

Hi people, after some health problems I back.
I have a little question, sophie in the wedding gala used a new tiara?
Today the world has embraced new royal Princesses in the form of Mary of Denmark and Maxima of the Netherlands. But it's questionable whether even these hugely popular, increasingly glamorous future Queens will ever capture the world's imagination in the same way as Diana.
As Mario acknowledges: "She really was a true Princess".
-www.theroyalist.net-
Old 10-20-2012, 08:32 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by corazon View Post
Hi people, after some health problems I back.
I have a little question, sophie in the wedding gala used a new tiara?
Welcome back! News of the tiara is all here: Sophie, Countess Of Wessex Jewellery - Page 21 - The Royal Forums
Old 10-20-2012, 08:39 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmirerUS View Post
Welcome back! News of the tiara is all here: Sophie, Countess Of Wessex Jewellery - Page 21 - The Royal Forums
oh thanks so much!!!!
sophie is the queen's daughter-in-law that more tiara used, with this I remember 4. diana used only two and sarh one.
Today the world has embraced new royal Princesses in the form of Mary of Denmark and Maxima of the Netherlands. But it's questionable whether even these hugely popular, increasingly glamorous future Queens will ever capture the world's imagination in the same way as Diana.
As Mario acknowledges: "She really was a true Princess".
-www.theroyalist.net-
Old 10-20-2012, 04:41 PM
Heir Presumptive

I'm confused. I think The Earl of Wessex was wearing the dress uniform of the Rifles today. That is certainly the badge of the rifles on his hat and the Crossbelt has the appropriate lion and badge. (badge of the rifles: http://www.army.mod.uk/images/corps-...fles_74x74.jpg) But he is Col. of the London Regiment (badge here: http://www.army.mod.uk/images/corps-...onregbadge.jpg)

I admit to being American and not military - so all this tends to confuse me. Can anyone offer any clarity about PE's dress uniform today?
Old 10-20-2012, 05:08 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmirerUS
I think The Duke of Wessex was wearing the dress uniform of the Rifles today.
The *Earl of Wessex, dear
Old 10-20-2012, 05:53 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmirerUS View Post
I'm confused. I think The Earl of Wessex was wearing the dress uniform of the Rifles today. That is certainly the badge of the rifles on his hat and the Crossbelt has the appropriate lion and badge. (badge of the rifles: http://www.army.mod.uk/images/corps-...fles_74x74.jpg) But he is Col. of the London Regiment (badge here: http://www.army.mod.uk/images/corps-...onregbadge.jpg)

I admit to being American and not military - so all this tends to confuse me. Can anyone offer any clarity about PE's dress uniform today?
Edward has the choice of several British uniforms.

Royal Honorary Colonel of the Royal Wessex Yeomanry
<LI sizset="false" sizcache04200303780550166="81 98 799"> Royal Honorary Colonel of the London Regiment[31] <LI sizset="false" sizcache04200303780550166="81 98 806"> Royal Colonel of the 2nd Battalion, The Rifles <LI sizset="false" sizcache04200303780550166="81 98 812"> Honorary Air Commodore Royal Air Force Waddington <LI sizset="false" sizcache04200303780550166="81 98 817"> Commodore-in-Chief of the Royal Fleet Auxiliary
Old 10-20-2012, 06:50 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
Edward has the choice of several British uniforms.

Royal Honorary Colonel of the Royal Wessex Yeomanry
<LI sizset="false" sizcache04200303780550166="81 98 799"> Royal Honorary Colonel of the London Regiment[31] <LI sizset="false" sizcache04200303780550166="81 98 806"> Royal Colonel of the 2nd Battalion, The Rifles <LI sizset="false" sizcache04200303780550166="81 98 812"> Honorary Air Commodore Royal Air Force Waddington <LI sizset="false" sizcache04200303780550166="81 98 817"> Commodore-in-Chief of the Royal Fleet Auxiliary
Thanks - I used the wrong sources for his honorary roles.
Old 10-20-2012, 07:22 PM
Heir Presumptive

May I ask what the gold braids are for?
Old 10-20-2012, 08:23 PM
Heir Apparent

^^^^^
they indicate that he is a personal ADC to HM The Queen.