The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 10-12-2012, 03:04 PM
Heir Presumptive

I think the invitation normally is addressed to the Queen, and then it is her who chooses. Sophie and Edward are the normal choice, and have been for several years. I think it is right that they go, as Lumutqueen said - they know the other Royals and are friends with them. Charles and William are not friends. Charles obviously knows who they are, but he has not attended as many gatherings as the Wessex's, therefore it makes sense to send them. I for one like to see them go as I love to see what Sophie is going to wear. This will probably be the last Royal wedding they attend, as when the other Royals start to marry William will likely be sent.

Old 10-12-2012, 03:19 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Some time ago, while going through older threads, I came upon what can be called a standard template for royal invitations to foreign royal events.

All senior members of a given royal family (in this case, British), as well as other members who may be personal friends or close relations, are sent official invitations. Afterwards, the Monarch decides who will be his/her official representatives and that particular invitation is formally accepted while the others are graciously declined.

So, in case of the Luxembourgian wedding, invitations would have been sent to the Queen, Prince Philip, the Wales family, the Duke of York, the Earl and Countess of Wessex, the Princess Royal and possibly even Beatrice and Eugenie. British royals would have a look on their engagement diary and those who had prior commitments would automatically be ruled out. The Queen would then chose her representative among those remaining.

The practice in recent years has been to sent the Earl and Countess of Wessex to most high-profile European royal events.

Old 10-12-2012, 03:24 PM
Heir Apparent

^^^^
I suspect the practice varies from country to country.
Old 10-12-2012, 03:27 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
^^^^
I suspect the practice varies from country to country.
Indeed, that would be a valid assumption.
Ultimately, as Molly2101 noted, the decision would still be with the Monarch.
Old 10-12-2012, 03:31 PM
Majesty

I think it's great The Wessexs are going. I agree, it would be nice to see Charles & Camilla or William & Catherine attending these kind of events and I think they would enjoy themselves (if they were to attend) but I think it's down to schedualing and who's been invited.
Old 10-12-2012, 03:33 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemisia View Post

Some time ago, while going through older threads, I came upon what can be called a standard template for royal invitations to foreign royal events.

All senior members of a given royal family (in this case, British), as well as other members who may be personal friends or close relations, are sent official invitations. Afterwards, the Monarch decides who will be his/her official representatives and that particular invitation is formally accepted while the others are graciously declined.

So, in case of the Luxembourgian wedding, invitations would have been sent to the Queen, Prince Philip, the Wales family, the Duke of York, the Earl and Countess of Wessex, the Princess Royal and possibly even Beatrice and Eugenie. British royals would have a look on their engagement diary and those who had prior commitments would automatically be ruled out. The Queen would then chose her representative among those remaining.

The practice in recent years has been to sent the Earl and Countess of Wessex to most high-profile European royal events.
Thank you for clearing this up!
Old 10-12-2012, 03:40 PM
Majesty

That's just what I think, it's all down to who's schedual will allow them to attend. I think this is why Albert & Charlene aren't going.
Old 10-12-2012, 03:53 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmirerUS View Post
Thank you for clearing this up!
You are welcome.
However, please bear in mind I cannot be in in any way certain that's the standard practice nowadays.
Old 10-12-2012, 04:12 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Just a heads up, I found out how invitations to foreign royals for major British royal events are sent (from Buckingham Palace courtier, so pretty sound information).

As per protocol, before actual invitations are sent out, foreign royals are given heads up in the form of save-the-date letter from the Queen. Invitations are sent en masse to most senior members of a given Royal Family, as well as those minor royals that may be friends. That's done about a month or two before actual invitations are due to be sent.

Foreign Royal Houses then ponder who exactly is going: there is no limit on their numbers and technically every single one of those invited can accept the invitation, although that rarely happens. Once diary and convenience matters are cleared, a response is sent confirming the attendance of certain royals and declining the invitation for the others.

Once all the royals have confirmed their attendance, official invitations are sent (at the same time as to everyone else).

Apart from foreign royals, some foreign dignitaries (Heads of States, Heads of Government, Governors General, etc) are usually given the same treatment.

Hope this is helpful.
Old 10-12-2012, 04:15 PM
Heir Apparent

At Williams wedding didn't they say that the Queen simply sent invitations to the reigning monarchs and it was up to them to decide if they would attend themselves or be represented by some other member of their family. I think Crown Prince Frederik when asked said he wasn't invited, QMII represented Denmark.
Old 10-12-2012, 04:22 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

I doubt there was ever a case of Frederik not getting an invitation. It would have been extremely strange if, say, the heirs to the Thrones of Sweden and Spain were invited to (and attended) the wedding, but the heir to the Danish Throne was not.
Old 10-12-2012, 04:29 PM
Heir Apparent

^^^^
But those heirs could well have been there as their fathers representatives, as neither Carl Gustaf or Juan Carlos attended, and not in their own capacity. QM II did attend and Frederik stayed home.
Old 10-12-2012, 04:53 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

That is a possibility. However, but both King Michael and Crown Princess Margarita of Romania attended the wedding, as did multiply members of Serbian Royal Family (Crown Prince Alexander II, Crown Princess Katherine and Princess Elisabeth). For royals of non-reigning monarchies to receive more invitations than those of reigning ones - it's just hard to imagine.

Mind you, William's wedding was not a state event, so things might have indeed been differently done on that occasion.
Old 10-14-2012, 04:08 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Prince backs mother of dead soldier over benefits | Mail Online

Quote:
Prince Edward is backing the disabled mother of a British soldier killed in Afghanistan who has been stripped of her benefits and income support by the Government.
Edward, 48, who resigned as a Royal Marines officer cadet, is supporting Lucy Aldridge, whose benefits have been stopped by the Department for Work and Pensions because of her son's death-in-service payment.
In a letter, the Prince told Ms Aldridge, 44, he 'shares her sense of frustration' that she has been forced to live off her dead son's £218,000 estate.
No doubt Edward's going to get stick for this.
Old 10-14-2012, 08:46 AM
Heir Presumptive

Even just reading the comments on The Daily Mail anger me. Of course the barrage against Edward begins. Who cares if Edward dropped out of the Royal Navy? At least he realised it wasn't for him! That is a very hard decision to make, especially for someone like a Prince. I commend Edward for his choice and do not have any problem with him wearing his uniform. Anne wears her honorary uniforms and no one ever says any negative about her. Though they always say "Anne works hard, Edward doesn't." That is complete ignorance, as Edward works hard, it is just that his work is never recognised by the press, and when it is it is deemed as "negative" or it is an article complaining about him.

Ok, rant over! Fair play to Edward siding with this woman, though there is perhaps more to the story than we know. I understand it is hard for the mother, particularly losing her son at such a young age, but we do not know what the full story behind her "being stripped" of her money is.

I wonder if Sophie supports Edward in this. I wonder if they discuss these like this, or does Edward just do his own thing.
Old 10-14-2012, 10:59 PM

I agree with you molly. We dont hear alot about Edward and Sophie's hardwork in Australia.
Old 10-15-2012, 12:26 PM
Heir Presumptive

Sophie got to see a flash mob piece at Edge Hill. As the police did not rush in and she was positioned next to the camera - I'm assuming all were in on it.
Sopie: http://ow.ly/i/11yik

The flash mob: (She does get a curtsey!) http://youtu.be/vOOIBAbtasA

The Earl, today in Somerset. He seems pleased about the bottle...

http://www.somersetcountygazette.co..../?type=gallery

(More pics in that gallery as well).

He's also officilly opening a sundial in honor of the jubilee. I found no pics with him yet - but the sundial itself is very impressive: http://www.lordlieutenantofdevon.org...12-300x209.jpg
Old 10-15-2012, 05:05 PM
Heir Presumptive

Countess of Wessex today in London
Sophie looks fabulous. Keep going ...

pic 2 3

full gallery:
Search for Editorial Photos - WireImage
Old 10-16-2012, 08:01 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Why send someone the wedding couple don't know or may not even like?
We know Edward and Sophie are firm friends with the majority of royals on the continent. It is even possible to assume that Edward and Sophie were invited themselves. I hate the way people think sending Sophie and Edward is a raw deal. You can see that Charles and William have and are unlikely to make any effort, so sending people who might actually enjoy themselves makes sense.

But they might be on friendly terms just because they are the ones who are always sent!

Imo, that's why the RF should send William or Harry, so they can get to know the continental royals and have a good relationship in the future.
William and Guillaume are the same age; why wouldn't they have more in common than with Edward?

(But it's like these events are some tiresome chore given to those who have nothing better to do! I know that's probably not the intent, but that's how it comes across to me).
Old 10-17-2012, 07:15 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Monaco and Sweden

Yesterday, October 16, the Earl of Wessex opened Montgomery Primary School and visited the Royal Albert Memorial Museum and Art Gallery in Exeter.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 ** Pic 5 **

** devonnewscentre.info: Earl of Wessex opens Exeter’s Greenest school **

** thisisexeter.co.uk: His Royal Highness Prince Edward visits Exeter ** gallery **

** theexeterdaily.co.uk: HRH Earl of Wessex gives Royal seal of approval for RAMM **