Earl and Countess of Wessex and Family Current Events 6: July 2011-January 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice article praising the Wessexes. I did not know that the Queen offered to pay for Louise to go to America for corrective operation, though it is the press so it probably should not be taken as verbatim. Nice mention of Sophie as The Duchess of Edinburgh, i had forgotten that had been the Queen's title too.

Bit sad that friends say they are more like brother and sister than husband and wife, but that is what can happen in relationships. I imagine they would only ever divorce if one was to stray publically. I also think that when royal marriages break, what does the non-royal do for money? They rely on their partner's royal income, they have not worked for several years yet when they break up they have to then fend for themselves. I can see now partly why Sarah got herself into so much debt. (Of course thre was more to that than just debts etc. but you see what i mean.)

Last edited:
Glad to read such praise. I really appreciate them.... I really hope something can be done for Louise's eye... when she will be a teenager she could be very self conscious about it... like all the teenagers.

Nice article praising the Wessexes. I did not know that the Queen offered to pay for Louise to go to America for corrective operation, though it is the press so it probably should not be taken as verbatim. Nice mention of Sophie as The Duchess of Edinburgh, i had forgotten that had been the Queen's title too.

Bit sad that friends say they are more like brother and sister than husband and wife, but that is what can happen in relationships. I imagine they would only ever divorce if one was to stray publically. I also think that when royal marriages break, what does the non-royal do for money? They rely on their partner's royal income, they have not worked for several years yet when they break up they have to then fend for themselves. I can see now partly why Sarah got herself into so much debt. (Of course thre was more to that than just debts etc. but you see what i mean.)

:previous:
"more like brother and sister" I think this quote is maybe because they are very close and have a great friendship beside that they are husband and wife :). If you remember the engagement interview, the say they are really good friends who also love each other :flowers:

Nice article I think to me they appear far more than this ...."brother and sister" thing and they have a solid marriage and are solid people. A bit of a poor choice of words. Otherwise well said on their behalf.

Hmm, I wonder if the whole brother/sister comparison is the writer's way of hinting that Edward's tastes lie elsewhere? That has long been rumored.

And I'm not sure how nice the article actually is, since it portrays Sophie as rather opportunistic.

But I do think the RF will find a slimmed-down version of the monarchy will prove to be inadequate later, when the elderly cousins retire and there's no one to fill the gap.

Hmm, I wonder if the whole brother/sister comparison is the writer's way of hinting that Edward's tastes lie elsewhere? That has long been rumored.

And I'm not sure how nice the article actually is, since it portrays Sophie as rather opportunistic.

But I do think the RF will find a slimmed-down version of the monarchy will prove to be inadequate later, when the elderly cousins retire and there's no one to fill the gap.

That's exactly what I thought! I read the article and although most of the stuff may sound nice at the first reading, it is rather spicked with a lot of details which are not so nice after all.
From the (not so-)subtle "brother and sister" hint to the part with Sophie being so overprotective that she does not care much what may be best for her daughter down to the opportunism thing. I'm missing the references to Sophies personality, she rather sounds like an efficient machine in this article (although the visit to Gibralter and the pictures we saw from there proved exactly the opposite in my opinion). And while Edward is refered to in the title of the article, there is nearly no mention at all of him in the actual text.
As for their marriage, I don't know whose "friends" would say sth like that and have it printed in an article. I mean they've been together for nearly 19 years, it is probable that their passions don't run that high after such a long time but the looks they throw each other don't look very brotherly-sisterly to me (at least Edward doesn't look that way at Anne ;) - or Sophie at David for that matter).

I wouldn't be surprised if some spin doctor - one who is not so very fond of them or of them getting (positive) attention - had this printed. jmo

Last edited:
That's exactly what I thought! I read the article and although most of the stuff may sound nice at the first reading, it is rather spicked with a lot of details which are not so nice after all.
From the (not so-)subtle "brother and sister" hint to the part with Sophie being so overprotective that she does not care much what may be best for her daughter down to the opportunism thing. I'm missing the references to Sophies personality, she rather sounds like an efficient machine in this article (although the visit to Gibralter and the pictures we saw from there proved exactly the opposite in my opinion). And while Edward is refered to in the title of the article, there is nearly no mention at all of him in the actual text.
As for their marriage, I don't know whose "friends" would say sth like that and have it printed in an article. I mean they've been together for nearly 19 years, it is probable that their passions don't run that high after such a long time but the looks they throw each other don't look very brotherly-sisterly to me (at least Edward doesn't look that way at Anne ;) - or Sophie at David for that matter).

I wouldn't be surprised if some spin doctor - one who is not so very fond of them or of them getting (positive) attention - had this printed. jmo
Yup I share you view, after reading this article one more time. It's like ying yang :whistling:

:previous:Agree also, a rather nasty article with many insinuations, reminders of mistakes made, etc.
The only part I believe is that the Queen was particularly keen to include Sophie, and perhaps then did really come to appreciate her, after her brush with death.:flowers:

Its a nasty bit of slander regarding Edward, augmented by the fact that he pulled out of a 'manly' military career that was being charted for him and entered the 'sissy' career of the theater/film.

As a young man Edward was breathtakingly beautiful. I recall seeing a picture taken of him leaning back on a tree - I think it was taken in Australia, I've never been able to flush it out - he would have been about 19, I think - and being startled at how gorgeous he really was. Being au currant in the ways of the gay world at the time I at once wondered how he was faring around gay men who would have seen him as 'good chicken' - sorry if that offends but some realities are unpleasant. Really beautiful men have a hard time - and if they are hetero it can be a thorny path for a while.

I would say that Edward proved a lot stronger than his 'sissy' press - the same sort of negative press given Charles though of a different kind. It seems the (British) press cannot 'forgive' male royals for being deep thinkers and sensitive - as Charles and Edward were and are. Be thick-as-a-plank like Andrew is (apparently - though I'm sure he isn't) - be military men like William and Harry - and all will be well with one's press. Urgh! Two-faced isn't the half of it.

Someone has it out for Edward - probably because he got turned down when approached. Wouldn't be the first time such a thing has happened - pay-back happening in countless ways. (I know a British actor - also breathtakingly beautiful in his youth - who continues to suffer from the animus of previous refused approaches - the extent some people go to get-back at people is startling).

I mean they've been together for nearly 19 years, it is probable that their passions don't run that high after such a long time but the looks they throw each other don't look very brotherly-sisterly to me (at least Edward doesn't look that way at Anne ;) - or Sophie at David for that matter).

Right on! The looks these two give each other are the loving looks of lovers - and he appears to be an attentive husband, certainly more attentive in public than William to Kate (and I know that's heresy}. Just recently viewed their wedding and one cannot mistake that these two are brilliantly matched and in love.

Last edited:
Right on! The looks these two give each other are the loving looks of lovers - and he appears to be an attentive husband, certainly more attentive in public than William to Kate (and I know that's heresy}. Just recently viewed their wedding and one cannot mistake that these two are brilliantly matched and in love.

He isn't an attentive husband when he lets his wife wear the white jump suit! Sorry, I had to mention it. I of course agree that he is an attentive husband, particularly when he holds his hand out to help her up and down steps, but I do not like her white jump suit....

I was a bit disappointed to read that quote, but having read others posts above this I agree that surely a friend would never say that about their friends. Perhaps they are not as passionate toward one another as they were, but they are older now and have been together almost 20 years. That is 2 decades of a public relationship, in a family where marriages do not have the best reputation. I have to say they do not look to be as close in public as they were in their earlier years of marriage, but that is to be expected, particularly when you have young children. I have no doubt this relationship will last, and would only ever end if one of them strayed. I mentioned this in my previous post, and I hope it never happens, but I do think that would be the only reason they would ever divorce. I think that their relationship, though not as passionate and love driven as earlier, they are extremely good friends and no doubt work off each other. They are definitely my favourite Royal couple, especially given that they dated for some time prior to marriage. They appear to care for one another deeply, and though they do not openly show it I have no doubt there is love in their marriage. Their looks to one another are lovely, especially Sophie's smug smile from the tree planting session in Gibraltar. Hilarious.

What a biting and nasty piece of journalism. It's like being given a very backhanded compliment. I think this couple does a great deal and deserve to be recognized. As for the whole 'brother and sister' comment, I think that's going too far (those 'friends' that decided to even say that should be no longer considered as such). Pictures are worth a thousand words, and if one looks at the couple very carefully, one can see that they do care for each other in a romantic way. Maybe it's not a passionate kind of love, which happens when things get mundane, but it's still love. It may also be that they may not want to be all over each other in public, but in private it's a totally different story (how it ought to be), and of course we'll never know, which is fine, since it's none of our business. Yes, Sophie and Edward may be very overprotective towards their children, but who won't be, when they're a public figure? There are plenty of nuts out there that could do some very unspeakable things to a child and what parent wants that to happen? When it comes to the whole eye surgery issue, I saw pictures of Louise playing net ball, so maybe, just maybe, her exotropia is not as bad as everyone claims, and there's no need for surgery. Sophie may feel that there's no reason to put her child under the knife if the results are not going to be any different if the surgery is skipped. I've met plenty of parents that have children with various exceptionalities that refuse to have their children go through medical procedures, because there's no guarantee that the outcome will be what one hopes. It's not good for the child, because if heaven forbid the surgery has the opposite effect and Louise loses her vision (possible, believe me), then she'll have to adjust to whole different way of life. I applaud Sophie for not going the surgery route. Her child is functioning like any other typically developing eight-year-old, so there's no need.

Come on "more like brother and sister " :ermm:

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/01919/edward-sophie_1919643i.jpg

and more...... :)

-------------------------------------
here is two images of Edward and Sophie from their visit to Canine Partners
img1 img2 (1,2)
Sophie is truly animal lover :flowers:

I love the picture of them from last year's Garter Day. Yeah, 'brother and sister' my you-know-what :bang:. Honestly, people need to just stop trying to analyze someone else's love life. Anyway, end of that.

Edward's looking very worried in those pictures of Sophie cuddling the dogs. He may be thinking 'Uh oh, I need to get her out of here and soon, before she adopts the whole lot of them...it's bad enough she wants to take Mummy's corgis home every time we visit Windsor'. Well, maybe not something like that, but pretty close :D.

If you are thinking of the same image as me Daria from The Order of The Garter (Edward looking at Sophie and she isn't looking), i LOVE that image.

Haha, he obviously doesn't want anymore dogs from his expression.

Edit:

This is the image I am referring to. Just a few more to highlight, just as Mag has done.

Edward/Sophie + Edward/Sophie + Edward/Sophie

Last edited:
Thank you Ice flower. Sophie and Kate looked absolutely beautiful.

Now that is a nice article:

Kate Middleton, Camilla Parker-Bowles and Sophie Wessex: Co-ordinating outfits and identikit nude shoes. What this picture tells us about a Royal Family that's finally at ease with itself | Mail Online

Not only does it repeat the nicer parts of the telegraph article, it also highlights Sophies personality and her looks.

Agree, really good article and must say 70% is about Sophie :clap::flowers:
S
It's sames that DM finally read the comments of their readers :p:flowers:

Thank you MagMil. There are some wonderful photographs there.

I love seeing more of this couple. Until I found this forum I saw very little about them. Now I see just how hard working both of them are and how engaged they get with the people they meet.

Sophie looks beautiful and elegant as always.

Sophie is gorgeous I do love her in those pale colours.
They look terrific together

I love the picture of Sophie, Edward and the little girl (the second one in the series). She was probably really excited about meeting a real 'prince' and winning a competition (not to mention being able to pass on a card to Her Majesty in honor of the Jubilee). What a talented young lady.

I'm glad to see that kids are excited about meeting member of the Royal Family (and Sophie is almost always surrounded by kids when she's visiting schools). Edward and Sophie appear to be really easy to talk to, so no one feels too intimidated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom