Earl and Countess of Wessex and Family Current Events 3: February-August 2008

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Finally an update on an engagement will be performed by the Countess of Wessex from the British Monarchy website on 17th September:
The Countess of Wessex Patron, Wells Cathedral Girl Chorister Trust, will attend a Concert and Dinner at the Royal Opera House, Bow Street, Covent Garden, London WC2.

Pics 18.7.2008

The Earl of Wessex, recently appointed Commodore-in-Chief, presented
the Queen's Colours to The Royal Fleet Auxiliary. This is the first time
that the Queen's Colours has been given to a non-combatant maritime
service, Portsmouth - 18/7/2008

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 **

Okay, I will hide under the desk as soon as I post this question, :) but does anyone else have a problem with Edward being given honory titles such as Commodore-in-Chief? I'm referring to his own military service.

This was already discussed and you can come out of hiding as no one seemed to mind. There was the Daily Mirror who attempted to stir things up by writting an article with fictional soliders saying they hated it, but the regiments laughed at them.
You must first note that ALL of Edward's English regiments consist of volunteers. The Royal Wessex Yeomanry, The 2nd battalion rifles and the Royal Fleet Auxillary. I also usually remark at this point that the Queen, Princess Royal and Camilla also did not do military service and yes they could have. It is an honouary position - Edward made certain that everyone sees the distinction.

Thanks Claire. :) No, I realize it's only an honorary title, I was just raising the issue because of Edward's decision to resign his commission from the marines. I think that makes his situation a little different, IMO.

Mmmm, Diana didn't serve either, yet she was C-in-C of a few things I believe.

To give Edward some credit, he realized military service wasn't for him ... and he spared his country spending resources on training an unwilling prince. It had to have taken some guts to admit this to the public and to his family, particularly the DoE.

Mmmm, Diana didn't serve either, yet she was C-in-C of a few things I believe.

--------------------------------------

What does Diana have to do with it? I realize the titles are honorary (I thought I stated that) and I wasn't discussing the pros and cons of honorary titles. But it's interesting that her name was chosen at random. Lol! Edward left the marines, that is altogether a different situation and that was the foundation for my original comment.

Last edited by a moderator:
I noticed this earlier in the day and just been chatting to my oh who is in the army what he thought (as they have Camilla as their CIC). He said he doesn't have a problem with it as it is purely honoury. They all enjoy the visits they make and interest they pay in the work they do.

The marine course is the hardest of the armed forces. I think it takes a bigger man to admitt defeat than to do something that really isn't for him. He must have been under a huge amount of pressure to go into the armed forces, when he just wasn't the type.

I don't think his situation is any different to the women of the family.

All I meant was that Diana had no military background yet she had the honorary title. :flowers:

So Edward, having had some training and experience although it didn't work out for him, is surely more qualified to have an honorary title than Diana.

Last edited:
All I meant was that Diana had no military background yet she had the honorary title. So Edward, having had some training and experience although it didn't work out for him, is surely more qualified to have an honorary title than Diana..
He was a commissioned officer, he resigned his commission after dropping out of Marine training 3 years later. So it isn't as if he was never a member of the armed services. :flowers:

He was a commissioned officer, he resigned his commission after dropping out of Marine training 3 years later. So it isn't as if he was never a member of the armed services. :flowers:
Edward certainly was a commissioned officer, but just could not or perhaps, preferred not to put up with the rigours of military life, and escaped to the Arts world.... where he was clearly an undoubted success in his ventures...... until Mummy bailed him out

Buckingham Palace has finally confirmed that Sophie will be continuing with a full schedual of engagements after the summer holiday. If you look at the list of engagements - it is to be a bumper ride, Edward is to go the China Paralympic and Sophie is going to make a official trip to Germany for her regiment.

Buckingham Palace has finally confirmed that Sophie will be continuing with a full schedual of engagements after the summer holiday. If you look at the list of engagements - it is to be a bumper ride, Edward is to go the China Paralympic and Sophie is going to make a official trip to Germany for her regiment.

Royal diary search results

Here there's this list of her future activities

Finally she returns to royal duties after what seems like the longest royal maternity leave ever

I wonder whether the Palace expected this to be another difficult delivery for Sophie and so didn't schedule anything for her in case of complications--at least until a safe period of time had passed after the birth.

There is a story today in the Times Onine about Ruthie Henshall, Edward's first serious girlfriend. Personally I liked Ruthie, and I believe that Edward really liked her as well. I remember how shocked Edward's staff was when they discovered that Edward used to use the facilities in front of her and bath/shower with her. His people thought it was very unroyal.

Showgirl tells of her love for Edward - Times Online

I wonder whether the Palace expected this to be another difficult delivery for Sophie and so didn't schedule anything for her in case of complications--at least until a safe period of time had passed after the birth.

I think that it was all arranged for Sophie to spend time with James and Louise. It must be remembered that Edward is expected to take on a lot of the Duke of Edinburgh's engagements soon and that will mean foreign trips, with Louise starting school soon. I think that is was arranged for Sophie to have this time with her children. But I still expect Sophie and Edward to have organise their engagments so that they can spend time with the kids.

The Wessex Family is moving to new and larger premises.

Part 11 can be found here.

¤ ¤ ¤

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom