The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 03:41 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Monaco and Sweden

Pic 28.3.2008

Prince Edward chats with Britain's Chris Hoy during a training
session in the UCI Track Cycling World Championships on March
28, 2008 at the Manchester velodrome.

-----> Pic

Old 04-01-2008, 01:06 PM
Courtier

Edward's trip to Canada announced.
It is only five days in Ontario.
Oh, whatever happened to those month long royal tours.

Old 04-01-2008, 01:10 PM
Nobility

I read in HELLO! they went skiing for Edward's birthday and they had both of the kids with two nannies. Why do they need two nannies for two kids, one who is an infant and the other a toddler.
Old 04-02-2008, 08:37 AM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

goodness how many times have either Edward or Sophie been to Canada since they got married its nearly once every year they are obessed with the country how come they havnt been to New Zealand, Australia etc and since 1999 Sophie has only visited Northern Ireland twice in 2002 and 2005

Old 04-02-2008, 12:23 PM
Courtier

Edward visits Canada once a year, officially. I think it was 1997 he was a lot but it was due to Ardent doing business there. The way the International Awards work is that they visit Canada ever year. Then Australia, New Zealand, India and China, Malaysia ever second year with African, European countries the other year. For example Edward visited Australia in 2006 with the commonwealth games so I expect that he will visit there late this year or early next.
Northern Ireland is consider still a red zone, so they don't pre-announce engagements.
Old 04-02-2008, 12:55 PM
Courtier

There are some nice pics of Sophie at the Memorial of Sir Edmund Hillary today at Getty. Except that hat I was kinda hoping that Louise would take the hat and rip it apart by now :)
Old 04-02-2008, 04:03 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

oh i know that they dont preannounce visits to Northern Ireland expect for the last 3 day visit by the Queen but what i was trying to say was that since 1999 she has only visited twice which isnt alot
Has Sophie made an official to America, Australia, New Zealand etc???

Old 04-02-2008, 04:37 PM
Heir Presumptive

She hasnt made one to NZ to my knowledge
Old 04-02-2008, 05:42 PM
Commoner

Where did you learn about the visit in Canada??
Old 04-02-2008, 07:12 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessofEurope View Post
Has Sophie made an official to America, Australia, New Zealand etc???
I believe Sophie has been to America at least twice but not really sure whether it was an high-profile official visit or not.
God save Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II
Old 04-03-2008, 12:44 PM
Courtier

I have tried to get clarity about how Royal visits are classified. So lets try, before 2000 Edward's visits for the International Award were not considered royal visits at all.
I think this worked well for Edward as he was able to go to Canada and America ect. do the DOE stuff and then do Ardent work at next day- splitting the cost of the travelling expense.
Then there suddenly was a need to count all these DOE engagements Edward does, so they started to be called Working Visits, as far as I know this means that the charities that invite the royal over pays for the trip and that don't do any terribly official like sign treaties, meet presidents and hold state banquets. That type of stuff is left to official tours. To my knowlegde Edward and Sophie have only had one official tour and that was of Canada in 1999 and it was the last as now only the Queen and Charles can do royal tours.
So all Edward's duties outside of the United Kingdom are 'working visits' or 'private visits.' Neither are high profile. Canadian press tends to follow Edward's doing.
Sophie thus has never made an official visit to the USA, only working visits, - she picked up an award for Vision 2020: the right to Sight at New York, I sure there are more but they were either small or private.
To my knowlegde I don't think that she has visited New Zealand or Australia since marring Edward, odd considering she was once considering emigrating.
Old 04-03-2008, 12:53 PM
Courtier

Tune in to Channel 4 this Sunday for an interview with Prince Edward about Snowsport GB one of his patronages.
Actually the add says the interview is with the Duke of Wessex, one would think Channel Four would know better.
Old 04-03-2008, 12:55 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by philqc View Post
Where did you learn about the visit in Canada??
Newswire:
CNW Group | OFFICE OF THE LIEUTENANT GOVERNOR OF ONTARIO | Media Advisory - Lieutenant Governor Announces Working Royal Visit by The Earl of Wessex
Old 04-08-2008, 07:03 PM
Heir Apparent

I think the Countess of Wessex started to perform her solo engagement already. It is mentioned on Monday, she attended the Sea Trials of the HMS Daring which she is a Sponsor. Unluckily, it seem not a focus for the press, but i believe that they would have drawn quite a crowd out there though.
God save Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II
Old 04-11-2008, 08:42 AM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

In the scope of the International Program of the The Duke of Edinburgh's Awards, Prince Edward and the Duke of Braganca presided over the 6th EMAS Conference, in Cascais (Portugal):

The Duke and Duchess of Bragança and Family: February 2008-
Old 04-11-2008, 02:36 PM
Courtier

Did anyone notice that Edward filled in for the Duke of Edinburgh on his Monday and Tuesday engagements, except his didn't do to Dartmouth with the Queen. On Monday he hosted the dinner for the anniversary of the state of Israel but left before dinner to attend another dinner fot the Duke of Edinburgh Awards in Canada.
Old 04-11-2008, 04:32 PM
Aristocracy

natural progress?

As the Duke of Edinburgh ages and will most likely have health issues curtailing his activities isn't it natural that the younger royals step up? I know the scope of the royal circle (who is considered royal) is shrinking so it's not extended to as many descendants of the monarch. Fewer royals will be handling all the duties (even though in my opinion Edward's daughter is still "Princess Louise" instead of just Lady Louise) and if Edward is on track to be the future DOE this would only make sense. Of course, time will tell if he does become the DOE as things may change again before being granted that title.
Old 04-11-2008, 05:49 PM
Heir Apparent

These sorts of events are certainly good experience for him in the meantime. And even if he doesn't become Duke of Edinburgh in the future, it's great that he's able to "step up to the plate" like this.
Old 04-13-2008, 11:40 PM
Aristocracy

I agree, both he and Sophie work hard- I would like to se them as the new D.O.E. (more jewels for Sophie!)
Old 04-14-2008, 12:25 PM
Courtier

I disagree that Edward and Sophie will be doing more work or higher profile work with the increasing age of the Duke. I expect much of that will pass to William and Harry. Along with the jewels.

Tags
countess of wessex, earl of wessex, lady louise, lady louise mountbatten-windsor, louise mountbatten-windsor, prince edward, sophie, viscount severn