Earl and Countess of Wessex Current Events 3: May-September 2004

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Look, it has already begun all over Britain, this tiring of the pomp, expense, and drama of the monarchy. And, aside from that, what do they really put back? The monarchy itself, I believe, is not the tourist draw, as tourists come to see buildings and objects, not other figures. And, aside from that, it's outrageous that even in this day, the people are seen as nothing other than subjects to a monarch. To me, that is antiquated and offensive, as it is the people who are the ultimate authority, the ultimate power, or at least they should be. If there is to be a monarch in Britain in the future, I believe the British will want that monarch to severr ties with the church (as it breeds blurring of the line between church and state), clearly outline the monarch's powers, take away the right to royal veto, separate the monarch wholly from the affairs of state, and declare the monarch subordinate to the people (as of yet, the monarch is only branded equal to parliament, no mention of the people is made). Many people cease to realize that the monarchy has no defined role in Britain, as there is no written British constitution- only a set of laws and etc. Now, if people think that my finding this a bit strange and unsavory is offensive, then, excuse-moi, pardon my rebellious American tongue.

And in response to the question as to where I'm from, I'm a proud American and New Yorker of Greek and Belgian descent. Now, as for my qualifications for British political commentary, they're a bit scant, but, um, it wasn't meant as gospel truth, just my own personal speculation.

From Hello!

Sophie Wessex in fine form on school visit

30 JUNE 2004

Mother-of-one Sophie Wessex was radiant – and sporting a noticeably slimmer figure – as she greeted crowds of tiny students at the opening of Westbury Leigh primary school in Wiltshire on Tuesday.

Wearing a blue suit with beige shoes and handbag, the Countess couldn't restrain a laugh as she knelt to have an eye-to-eye conversation with the enthusiastic schoolchildren.

The children, dressed in blue and white uniforms, clutched British flags in honour of the occasion. Though, much to Sophie's amusement, some of the younger pupils seemed to think putting the flags in their mouths was just as entertaining as waving them.

It was a busy day for the Countess, who was joined by her husband, Prince Edward, at the Westbury visit. Also on her agenda for Tuesday was a tour of the Shaw Trust Palmer Gardens in Trowbridge, Wiltshire, and a trip to the Norman Court prep school in West Tytherley, Hampshire.

The Countess greets crowds of primary school children, who all clutched British flags in honour of the occasion

Sophie, who gave birth to a daughter last November and has since looked noticeably slimmer, had a packed schedule on Tuesday, also visiting the Shaw Trust Palmer Gardens in Wiltshire as well as a Hampshire prep school

Originally posted by grecka@Jun 30th, 2004 - 3:23 am
Look, it has already begun all over Britain, this tiring of the pomp, expense, and drama of the monarchy. And, aside from that, what do they really put back? The monarchy itself, I believe, is not the tourist draw, as tourists come to see buildings and objects, not other figures. And, aside from that, it's outrageous that even in this day, the people are seen as nothing other than subjects to a monarch. To me, that is antiquated and offensive, as it is the people who are the ultimate authority, the ultimate power, or at least they should be. If there is to be a monarch in Britain in the future, I believe the British will want that monarch to severr ties with the church (as it breeds blurring of the line between church and state), clearly outline the monarch's powers, take away the right to royal veto, separate the monarch wholly from the affairs of state, and declare the monarch subordinate to the people (as of yet, the monarch is only branded equal to parliament, no mention of the people is made). Many people cease to realize that the monarchy has no defined role in Britain, as there is no written British constitution- only a set of laws and etc. Now, if people think that my finding this a bit strange and unsavory is offensive, then, excuse-moi, pardon my rebellious American tongue.
As someone who travels to Britain often (and writes about royalty), I can tell you the monarchy is in no danger. After the death of the queen mother, one Guardian columnist was forced to eat crow after witnessing middle England standing in line for hours to pay their respects.

Changing the status of the church will be a difficult one, and Parliament has far more important issues to be concerned with these days.

Originally posted by grecka@Jun 30th, 2004 - 3:23 am
By the way, Grecka, the cost of the monarchy is rather small to the British taxpayer - less than $2.00 per person .. not a bad deal ...

Sophie is fastly becoming one of the hardest working Members of the Royal Family. She has gone from drab to fab over night... You GO Girl! :lol:

The Windsors rarely take their children to Ascot. The only child they ever took to Ascot was Zara when she was about 8. Otherwise, they've waited until adulthood to attend.

Originally posted by kelly9480@Jun 30th, 2004 - 9:07 am
The Windsors rarely take their children to Ascot. The only child they ever took to Ascot was Zara when she was about 8. Otherwise, they've waited until adulthood to attend.
Actually, there is an age restrictment for children ... some years ago, Zara got special permission from granny to attend one year ... clipped several articles about out./

Wasn't there a thread in this forum -- just last night -- entitled "Duke of Edinburgh" title? Today I don't see it anywhere.

Originally posted by Marlene+Jun 30th, 2004 - 8:46 am--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Marlene @ Jun 30th, 2004 - 8:46 am)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-kelly9480@Jun 30th, 2004 - 9:07 am
Actually, there is an age restrictment for children ... some years ago, Zara got special permission from granny to attend one year ... clipped several articles about out./ [/b][/quote]
I'm not disagreeing with the fact that there's an age restriction. I'm disagreeing that the Wessexes will take Louise next year.

Nothing still about Louise? :cry:

Originally posted by corazon@Jul 11th, 2004 - 4:21 pm
Nothing still about Louise? :cry:
she didnt bring baby louise on state trips! till Louise become big girls because Louise is baby but Louise stay with nanny while Sophie in Africa and Edward in trip

Sara Boyce

The Earl and Countess have many engagements today:
1.Earl Edward will visit Eco Visitor Centre,Merseyside
2.Earl Edward will visit Southport Pier,Merseyside
3.The Earl and Countess of Wessex will visit Marine Way Bridge,Merseyside
4.The Earl and Countess of Wessex will attend a lunch at Southport Town Hall
5.The Earl and Countess of Wessex will visit Botanic Garden,Merseyside
6.The Earl and Countess of Wessex will attend The Centenary Service of Liverpool Cathedral,Merseyside
7.The Countess of Wessex will visit Parenting 2000&Surestart
8.The Countess of Wessex will visit Alchemy,Merseyside.

I looked for photos, Windsor Fan and was unable to find any.

There was one interesting thing about a recent school visit in Berkshire. A member of the public told Sophie that she hoped that Edward and her would have more children. Without hesitation, Sophie replied that THEY WOULD. :flower:

Now I know that Sophie might have just been making small talk or that she was simply agreeing that she would want to too, but still... ;)

Claire

:woot: THE COUNTESS IS LOOKING GREAT!!!!!! SHE HAS LOST A LOT OF WEIGHT, TO BAD SHE WON'T SHOW HOW LADY LOUISE LOOK'S NOW.

And......and.........and Louise? :cry: :cry: :cry:

Why does Her Highness insist on wearing so much white? I thought the point of having royal dress designers was so they could design clothes that would make you stan out in a crowd...

"Royal Dress Designers" :yuk:

Sophie shops (or rather her aid shops) at the High Street Stores.
And white, cream, ivory are the colours of the season. Sophie rewears her clothes (sensible) so we see the same outfits every now and then.

Originally posted by Claire@Jul 28th, 2004 - 1:10 pm
"Royal Dress Designers" :yuk:

Sophie shops (or rather her aid shops) at the High Street Stores.
Just wondering, what are the "High Street Stores?"

I doubt that any of the royal's still shop in Harrod's. :sick: There are some label stores as well.

im not sure what kind Countess of Wessex's favourite stores?

Princess Diana went Harrods where her dad's friends who owner of harrods for longtimes she went Harrods when she got engagement to Prince Charles they later Diana got divorces to Prince Charles but Mr.Fayeds happy to see Princess Diana for reunited when Diana was little girls.

mostly Royals went to Harrods more famous than poor stores because Harrods more money! like as $$$$$$$$$$$$$$ and also actors,actress,celebrites stars loves went to Harrods but i went there before but i dont buy! im just look there its so beautiful stores!

Sara Boyce

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom