The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 10-17-2013, 04:55 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyGabrielle View Post
Yup, I do believe it was " gap year " that was initially used.
I'm not so sure. All the news media on the day of the announcement used the word "transitional" to have been announced from Clarence House.

BBC News - Prince William to swap armed forces for royal duties
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/13/wo...tary.html?_r=0

The first time I read the words "gap year" was in the Daily Mail's headline that day, but the DM article, when quoting the announcement, uses the word "transitional".

After the phrase "gap year" began being used, Clarence House removed all mention of the word "transitional".

Edited: Ooops ... sorry, soapstar ... I didn't see your post before I sent this one.

Old 10-17-2013, 06:25 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
I think the media was pretty confused like a great of others by the official statements.
Honestly, there was nothing in the statement that was confusing. It was when everyone else (i.e. the media) started making up stories disguised as 'reports' that the uproar happened. Overreacting as usual. It's actually been really annoying to watch play out. It's happened on this forum where everyone makes an assumption or believes what they read when it has no basis. Transitional year, to me and obviously to Kensington Palace, always meant he would be slowly increasing his duties and getting involved in more organizations and with his patronages and Foundation.

Maybe everyone should have waited the 'further announcements' before jumping to conclusions as usual. It should have been about the excitement of him starting a new chapter in life and the work he would be doing in conservation not tearing down his character, starting a William v. Harry debate, or making other assumptions and accusations.

Sorry rant over, but this has been extremely annoying and ridiculous.

Old 10-18-2013, 02:48 AM
Courtier

Dman:
Thank you for the video, It was nice to see. Prince William to me looked rather stately and handsome. I think it's great that he takes time to learn the ropes so to speak about all that he will be responsible for in the future. Wonder what his grandmother the Queen thought?
Old 10-18-2013, 04:00 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinrit View Post
Not wielding the sword, but there's a video here of William pinning someone and then speaking with them:

BBC News - Prince William hosts his first investiture
Quote:
Originally Posted by csw View Post
Love this. He looks so natural- like a duck in water. No offence to the Queen or Charles, but he looks like the King already. And yes, very dashing in his uniform.
Old 10-18-2013, 08:44 PM
Courtier

I find that, physically, William is a mix of both parents, but in terms of things like facial expressions, postures, gestures, he's so much like his mother it's eerie sometimes.

I noticed the member of the armed forces behind William was saluting during God Save The Queen. Did William not do the same because he was the ranking member of the royal family present? If he was at a similar occasion with The Queen, would he salute?
Old 10-18-2013, 09:29 PM
Serene Highness

He reminds (rather his mannerisims) me more of his father here lately...I see a glimpse of Diana now and then but mostly Charles now.

LaRae
Old 10-18-2013, 09:54 PM
Majesty

To me he has always been Philip - from a baby onwards those Mountbatten genes dominate.
Old 10-18-2013, 10:44 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by camelot23ca View Post
I find that, physically, William is a mix of both parents, but in terms of things like facial expressions, postures, gestures, he's so much like his mother it's eerie sometimes.

I noticed the member of the armed forces behind William was saluting during God Save The Queen. Did William not do the same because he was the ranking member of the royal family present? If he was at a similar occasion with The Queen, would he salute?
When it comes to pomp and circumstance and formality, William is all Charles. In a relaxed mode, its very easy to catch glimmers of Diana.

I've see William greet his grandmother at the RAF base in Anglesey and he was the epitome of the proper gentleman and did a very correct bow. I'm sure if he was among the ranks somewhere being presented to the Queen, he would salute his sovereign right along with his troops.

At the investiture he did recently I would presume that William did not salute as he was the representative of HM The Queen and was taking the salutes for her.
Old 10-18-2013, 10:45 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by camelot23ca View Post
I find that, physically, William is a mix of both parents, but in terms of things like facial expressions, postures, gestures, he's so much like his mother it's eerie sometimes. I noticed the member of the armed forces behind William was saluting during God Save The Queen. Did William not do the same because he was the ranking member of the royal family present? If he was at a similar occasion with The Queen, would he salute?
Others may be more knowledgeable than I, but I believe you have the right idea. William was standing in for the Queen so he takes on her status for the event. I think he would salute if she were present. IIRC when Harry represented HM last summer at the paraolympics closing he stood for the anthem as though he were the Queen, too.
Old 10-18-2013, 11:08 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsorgirl View Post
Others may be more knowledgeable than I, but I believe you have the right idea. William was standing in for the Queen so he takes on her status for the event. I think he would salute if she were present. IIRC when Harry represented HM last summer at the paraolympics closing he stood for the anthem as though he were the Queen, too.
Correct but you would not salute if not in uniform. So if the Queen is present, then only officers in uniform would salute

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 10-18-2013, 11:35 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseroyal View Post

Love this. He looks so natural- like a duck in water. No offence to the Queen or Charles, but he looks like the King already. And yes, very dashing in his uniform.
You hit the nail on the head; he looks as if he has been doing this all his life, and yes, he's very dashing in his uniform. He is carrying himself like a monarch that he will become.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 10-23-2013, 12:39 PM
Heir Presumptive

Before today's Christening, William went hunting with his friends and took a helicopter back to KP.

"Prince William returned from a hunting trip with friends this evening, landing at the Kensington Palace in London via helicopter."

Prince William in London Before Prince George's Christening
Old 10-24-2013, 07:34 PM
Serene Highness

There is really nothing in those photos to suggest he was hunting. There are people in tweed but he could have been visiting duchy of Cornwall lands. It was reported that William was going to spend time learning the ins and outs of the duchy. It just seems weird to be going hunting on a Tuesday a day before your kid is christened.
Old 10-25-2013, 12:32 AM
Majesty

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 10-25-2013, 08:44 AM
Nobility

What a wonderful human being
He matured exceptionally
He better...he looks very comfortable
So proud of him
His mother would be ..
Old 10-25-2013, 10:08 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyCatharine View Post
What a wonderful human being He matured exceptionally He better...he looks very comfortable So proud of him His mother would be ..
I agree. He's one exceptional man.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 10-25-2013, 02:02 PM
Serene Highness

Yes he is. He has grown into a very good man and Diana would be exceptionally proud of him Im sure. It would have been so nice if she could have held his little son as well.
Old 10-25-2013, 10:34 PM
Majesty

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 10-26-2013, 07:50 PM
Majesty

Video:
Prince William hopes to encourage Villa to 'new glory'-
Prince William hopes to encourage Villa to 'new glory' - ITV News

Prince William hails anti-racism football campaign-
Prince William hails anti-racism football campaign - ITV News

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 10-27-2013, 09:31 AM
Heir Presumptive

The Duke Of Cambridge Attends The Football Association 150th Anniversary Gala Dinner - Pictures - Zimbio