The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 10-17-2013, 08:28 AM
Nobility

Not wielding the sword, but there's a video here of William pinning someone and then speaking with them:

BBC News - Prince William hosts his first investiture

Old 10-17-2013, 08:36 AM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinrit View Post
Not wielding the sword, but there's a video here of William pinning someone and then speaking with them:

William looked quite professional and at ease doing his first investiture and making conversations with the recipients.

Oh and quite dashing in that uniform too!

Old 10-17-2013, 08:43 AM
Nobility

Nice image with sword
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/...54_634x786.jpg
Old 10-17-2013, 09:02 AM
Courtier

Quote:

At the 34 second mark there is an officer in the background who appears to have a "let's move along" air about him.
Old 10-17-2013, 10:03 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by csw View Post
Thank you for finding this.
William certainly seems to have got the hang of things and he does look very dashing in his uniform. (Andy Murray looks very well turned out too).
Old 10-17-2013, 10:09 AM
Majesty

Video:
Murray received note from Kate after Wimbledon win-
Andy Murray revealed that the Duchess of Cambridge wrote him a note to congratulate him after he won Wimbledon and it showed off her "unbelievable handwriting".

The British number one, who was presented with an OBE by the Duke of Cambridge, said he had also received a note from Prince William in the past and as he collected the award joked that his handwriting was "not so good".-
William hosts first investiture - ITV News

LOL, William doesn't have the best handwriting.

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 10-17-2013, 10:46 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchess of Durham View Post
At the 34 second mark there is an officer in the background who appears to have a "let's move along" air about him.
I read in one of the articles leading up to today, that they spend only 30 seconds with each person, in order to keep everything moving smoothly. The officer behind William looks impatient, probably because he went way over the 30-seconds.
Old 10-17-2013, 11:35 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
I read in one of the articles leading up to today, that they spend only 30 seconds with each person, in order to keep everything moving smoothly. The officer behind William looks impatient, probably because he went way over the 30-seconds.
To me, nothing shows a good sense of people skills and being interested in the person one is talking to than going over a required time limit. I've seen it happen before with the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge when they were on walkabout and aides kind of have to nudge them along to keep on schedule.
Old 10-17-2013, 11:50 AM
Majesty

Charles also takes his time and talk to the people during the Investiture ceremony.

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 10-17-2013, 12:44 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Charles also takes his time and talk to the people during the Investiture ceremony.
I've noticed that too over the past couple of years. Its rare these days to see a photo of Charles without a smile and a twinkle in his eyes.
Old 10-17-2013, 01:34 PM
Serene Highness

William really looked like a Prince didnt he? So handsome in his uniform and so professional. It is nice to see him doing this, he looks more royal than he usually does, it suits him quite well. I like it. :)
Old 10-17-2013, 02:17 PM
Majesty

I agree, this is just one of the many things I and many others wanted to see William doing. Embracing his destiny and carrying out a bigger role within the "Firm."

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 10-17-2013, 02:32 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
I agree, this is just one of the many things I and many others wanted to see William doing. Embracing his destiny and carrying out a bigger role within the "Firm."
I think it was the "gap year" idiom being used that threw a lot of people off base. I'm glad to see in some reports that they've chosen to use the word transitional. It makes a world of difference in putting what William is doing into perspective.
Old 10-17-2013, 02:49 PM
Serene Highness

Thats for sure. Gap year just didnt sound right to anyone. It made it seem that William was going to take a long vacation and think about what he wanted to do next. Transitional is a much better word to use. I for one am glad they changed the terminology.
Old 10-17-2013, 03:10 PM
Nobility

I don't remember ... was it ever called a "gap year" in the official announcement? I thought "transition" was the word always used.
Old 10-17-2013, 03:35 PM
Serene Highness

Yup, I do believe it was " gap year " that was initially used.
Old 10-17-2013, 03:40 PM
Majesty

See Video of HRH The Duke of Cambridge Giving Medals and Knighting Individuals During his First Investiture Ceremony:

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 10-17-2013, 03:48 PM
Serene Highness

Awesome! He did a great job with the sword. Thanks for posting that Dman, I enjoyed it.
Old 10-17-2013, 04:08 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Britain

Quote:
I don't remember ... was it ever called a "gap year" in the official announcement? I thought "transition" was the word always used.
KP never called it a "gap year." According to a number of reporters, KP referred to it as a "transitional" year. It was the media that decided to call it a "gap year."

Quote:
BBC royal correspondent Peter Hunt tweeted that royal officials said the next 12 months would be "transitional" for Prince William.
BBC News - Prince William to swap armed forces for royal duties
Old 10-17-2013, 04:31 PM
Majesty

I think the media was pretty confused like a great of others by the official statements.

Dr. Maya Angelou
Closed Thread