The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-16-2012, 05:40 PM
Aristocracy

Victoria Murphy ‏@QueenVicMirror Prince William captained a crew that saved the lives of two teenage girls off the coast of Anglesey this afternoon

Victoria Murphy ‏@QueenVicMirror
Prince William led the five-man crew who pulled the 13-year-old and 16-year-old to safety

The rescue mission led by Prince William was praised by the RAF as one of its "fastest and shortest" operations - they got there in 38 secs!

Royal to the rescue: Prince William leads mission to save two girls swept out to sea

Old 08-16-2012, 06:07 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Newbie
Victoria Murphy ‏@QueenVicMirror Prince William captained a crew that saved the lives of two teenage girls off the coast of Anglesey this afternoon

Prince William led the five-man crew who pulled the 13-year-old and 16-year-old to safety

The rescue mission led by Prince William was praised by the RAF as one of its "fastest and shortest" operations - they got there in 38 secs!

Royal to the rescue: Prince William leads mission to save two girls swept out to sea
Just saw this on my Facebook newsfeed. Thirty-eight seconds! That is quite impressive indeed. I'm glad that everything worked out and the girls are safe.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 08-16-2012, 06:08 PM
Heir Apparent

Looks like they had a busy afternoon.

More info from BBC

BBC News - Girls rescued by RAF helicopter from Cymyran Beach, Rhosneigr

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 08-16-2012, 07:10 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Well done to William and his crew! They were so quick because they had just landed from another rescue mission when the distress call came: because the crew and the helicopter were fully ready, they were able to be airborne again within seconds.
Old 08-16-2012, 10:31 PM
Heir Presumptive

I wondered how the time from in the air to the rescue could be 28 seconds (well done). Looked up a map of the beach that shows how:

Valley base is at the top of the map when you hit the "-" sizing button a couple of times, The beach is above the point on the shore.

http://www.geograph.org.uk/showmap.php?gridref=SH301749
Old 08-17-2012, 02:53 AM
Majesty

Courtesy of 'The Telegraph:

Prince William rescues schoolgirl from sea - Telegraph

Old 08-18-2012, 07:03 AM
Royal Highness

Prince Philip: no visitors but responding well to hospital treatment | UK news | guardian.co.uk

One can be glad that William did not captain this SAR-emergency flight. I have no doubt he would have gone a bit farther, risked a bit more to help his grandfather and that could have been potentially fatal.
Old 08-18-2012, 11:58 AM
Aristocracy

Prince William certainly deserves accolades and high praise for his participation, but what this story should also signal is recognition of the many, many emergency crews out who are unsung heroes. It's impossible to give them all such praise and media recognition, but they also deserve it.

So a heartfelt "thank you" to all the men and women who have devoted their lives to helping other.
Old 08-18-2012, 12:01 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kataryn View Post
Prince Philip: no visitors but responding well to hospital treatment | UK news | guardian.co.uk

One can be glad that William did not captain this SAR-emergency flight. I have no doubt he would have gone a bit farther, risked a bit more to help his grandfather and that could have been potentially fatal.
I doubt William would have been asked even if he had been anywhere near Scotland, but seeing as he works in RAF Valley I don't think he would have been called for this outing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Peach View Post
Prince William certainly deserves accolades and high praise for his participation, but what this story should also signal is recognition of the many, many emergency crews out who are unsung heroes. It's impossible to give them all such praise and media recognition, but they also deserve it.

So a heartfelt "thank you" to all the men and women who have devoted their lives to helping other.
I agree, whilst William does good he does the same as thousands of other men and women who go un-noticed. I think it's very unfair.
Old 08-18-2012, 12:28 PM
Royal Highness

Of course I know that William couldn't have captained the flight from Lossiemouth, as he is statíoned someplace else. i just wanted to point out that IMHO out of his personal interest and of care for his grandfather he might have tried harder to land than the captain of this SAR-flight. I believe William would risk all for his family.

As for all the unsung heroes: it is hardly newsworthy Britain-wide if an SAR-crew flies to the rescue. But I have no doubt that on each crew's own turf, they are well recognised for the important work they do.
Old 08-18-2012, 02:35 PM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Month Assistant Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kataryn View Post

I doubt, if bad weather then there is not chance in going that further step, then you start risking the lives of those on the mission as well. Moreover, the Duke was not in critical condition.
Old 08-18-2012, 05:29 PM
Courtier

As much as I like hearing about how hard William works as a SAR pilot the constant articles in the papers and online titled "William saves" etc do annoy me in that they make it sound at Ives as if William does it single handedly when in fact it is very much a team effort for all, its not just William. I imagine from time to time his colleagues must get a bit annoyed
Old 08-18-2012, 06:58 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100
As much as I like hearing about how hard William works as a SAR pilot the constant articles in the papers and online titled "William saves" etc do annoy me in that they make it sound at Ives as if William does it single handedly when in fact it is very much a team effort for all, its not just William. I imagine from time to time his colleagues must get a bit annoyed
I don't know about his colleagues being annoyed. In the article I read they stressed the rescue was a team effort and the winchman and the co-pilot were named and quoted. Neither of which would probably have happened to such a wide audience if Prince William had not been the pilot.

I'm on my phone so linking to the article is out of my skill set but I believe it was in the Mirror.
Old 08-18-2012, 07:06 PM
Heir Apparent

The work of the SAR has received far more attention since William joined up than it generally received beforehand.
Old 08-18-2012, 07:41 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
The work of the SAR has received far more attention since William joined up than it generally received beforehand.
I was thinking that must be the case. Though William undoubtedly (and understandably) gets a lot of individual attention in these rescues, in general it is a line of work that I knew pretty much nothing about until he started doing it. I think it brings attention to the hard work of many.
Old 08-21-2012, 12:49 AM
Majesty

Looks like William was part of another rescue mission. This time a Canadian woman, who broke her leg while hiking. Courtesy of 'Express':

Prince William swoops to save injured walker | UK News | Express.co.uk - Home of the Daily and Sunday Express

Old 08-21-2012, 02:52 PM
Serene Highness

Isnt that wonderful? Can you imagine needing help and here comes William to the rescue? Not that we would want to be in a situation that would require that kind of help of course. Its what he has trained for and he does it well Im sure. I do wonder though if he will go part time in order to do more royal duties. Do you think maybe he might give it up completely?
Old 08-21-2012, 02:55 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyGabrielle View Post
Do you think maybe he might give it up completely?
One day yes he will. It is believed the SAR will be privatised in 2016, I'm unsure so William is likely to lose his job and become a full time royal, unless he gets a SAR desk job. William's current ends next year and as of yet we have not been told what he intends to do.
Old 08-21-2012, 03:01 PM
Heir Presumptive

I'm sure it's a bit of a surprise to those who are being rescued, although maybe they don't know it's him until afterwards?

This looks to me like the RAF are doing their best to get as much positive PR out of having William on their books while they still can. I know SAR is due to be privatised, but the government have made a series of U-turns on defence policy lately. The RAF might be hoping that they can convince them to change the privatisation policy.
Old 08-21-2012, 03:47 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyGabrielle View Post
Isnt that wonderful? Can you imagine needing help and here comes William to the rescue? Not that we would want to be in a situation that would require that kind of help of course. Its what he has trained for and he does it well Im sure. I do wonder though if he will go part time in order to do more royal duties. Do you think maybe he might give it up completely?
Well we have to keep up with the modern times. Princes no longer come to the rescue on a white steed but in a helicopter.