The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 06:55 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
LL ‏@liltinglimes W&K staying @ Highgrove this wk while W completes a RAF training course; spend b'day there
via: Duke of Cambridge inherits £10m on his 30th birthday ... but a country pile will have to wait - Telegraph

Old 06-21-2012, 03:35 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe
Not sure where this goes as can't find Order of Thistle Thread and sorry if this has already been posted:

Thursday 5th July
The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh
accompanied by The Princess Royal and The Countess of Strathearn, will attend a Thistle Service at St Giles’ Cathedral, Edinburgh for the installation of The Prince William, Earl of Strathearn, as a Knight of the Thistle and attend a lunch as guests of the Knights of the Thistle

Taken from Royal.org.uk
Did the official website really write "THE Prince William, Earl of Strathearn"? Expect better from royal.gov.uk :whistle:

Old 06-21-2012, 03:47 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by American Dane

Did the official website really write "THE Prince William, Earl of Strathearn"? Expect better from royal.gov.uk :whistle:
He is listed like that because that is his Scottish title, how he is known in Scotland. Just like Catherine is named The Countess. If you mean the THE, that's probably because he is The Earl of Strathearn.
Old 06-21-2012, 07:15 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen

He is listed like that because that is his Scottish title, how he is known in Scotland. Just like Catherine is named The Countess. If you mean the THE, that's probably because he is The Earl of Strathearn.
Sorry but no, the post specifically stated THE as part of his princely title, not as an Earl. It should have been "Prince William, THE Earl of Strathearn". Catherine isn't listed by her given name hence why she is written as "THE Countess of Strathearn". I am aware of his Scottish title, it was actually my preference for his major title instead of Duke of Cambridge, so please don't assume ignorance on my part.
Old 06-21-2012, 07:55 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost_night554 View Post
It's not as if he needs a country pile. William and Catherine are probably glad to be able to use Highgrove and Birkhall as country retreats without having to manage such a household. They surely have enough on their plate as it is! The day will come when William inherits several homes in the countryside anyway, so why bother with that now? If you compare the costs of buying and maintaining a proper country home to going on holiday whereever they want to, of course it makes absolutely no sense to invest in their own place.

It's different for Harry, he will need such a place one day but then there's his father to help him as the queen did for her younger children.
Old 06-21-2012, 08:59 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by American Dane View Post
Sorry for the delay in replying. The answer is yes it did. All Royal titles have "The" in front. From today's Court Circular:

"The Queen..........................
The Prince of Wales ...................
"The Duke of York.........."

Standard formal mode of address.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 06-21-2012, 09:25 AM
Courtier

Only the sovereign's children have "The" preceding the name. Princess Anne was The Princess Anne before receiving the title Princess Royal, as her brothers were The Prince ______ before receiving their respective titles. When Charles ascends the throne, Harry, for example, will be The Prince Henry.
Old 06-21-2012, 12:27 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Penelope
Only the sovereign's children have "The" preceding the name. Princess Anne was The Princess Anne before receiving the title Princess Royal, as her brother were The Prince ______ before receiving their respective titles. When Charles ascends the throne, Harry, for example, will be The Prince Henry.

Thank you!! Someone finally understands!
Old 06-21-2012, 12:57 PM
Heir Presumptive

No doubt Buckingham Palace will have to hold an internal inquiry to try and find out how this completely insignificant mistake was made.
Old 06-21-2012, 01:15 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Now now EIIR, don't ruin William's day the added The is a big step for him
Old 06-21-2012, 01:39 PM
Heir Presumptive

He's had quite a few promotions lately, what's one more?
Old 06-21-2012, 08:06 PM
Aristocracy

Does it have something to do with it being in Scotland? His father is "The Prince Charles, Duke of Rothsay" in Scotland. I know that English practice has evolved so that only the monarch's children have "The" before their names but perhaps the monarchy is reverting to what was Scots practice before the Act of Union to reflect the times? Just a thought.
Old 06-21-2012, 09:47 PM
Heir Apparent

Wills’ brekkie in bed and watch for 30th | The Sun |News
Old 06-22-2012, 03:27 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Penelope View Post
Only the sovereign's children have "The" preceding the name...
The British Monarchy website is very free with the use of "The".
For example, this is the Line of Succession:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Succession.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	285800  
Old 06-22-2012, 04:18 PM
Courtier

I would be curious to know the distinction between Mr Samual Chatto and Master Arthur Chatto - both being young boys. I always had heard the cut off age was 18... but perhaps it is younger.
Old 06-22-2012, 04:28 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

I think that might be another error, unless it has to do with something whichever brother is page to the the Queen.
Old 06-22-2012, 06:18 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleQ2 View Post
I would be curious to know the distinction between Mr Samual Chatto and Master Arthur Chatto - both being young boys. I always had heard the cut off age was 18... but perhaps it is younger.
My mother taught me to use Master up to age 8. I'm not sure if there is an official cutoff age but I'd never go against my mother ;-)
Old 06-22-2012, 07:24 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleQ2 View Post
I could be wrong, but I wonder if this has anything to do with Arthur being the younger of the two brothers and therefore being called 'Master' to show that particular distinction.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 06-22-2012, 07:52 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by csw View Post
My mother taught me to use Master up to age 8. I'm not sure if there is an official cutoff age but I'd never go against my mother ;-)
I was taught the same thing csw. I have no idea where my parents got this idea though. They called my son Master Ryan until he was 8 and then it became Mister. My parents are kind of nutty though. My dad still calls me Madame Kazonga. Again, no idea where that came from!
Old 06-23-2012, 08:56 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Newbie View Post
I was taught the same thing csw. I have no idea where my parents got this idea though. They called my son Master Ryan until he was 8 and then it became Mister. My parents are kind of nutty though. My dad still calls me Madame Kazonga. Again, no idea where that came from!
Madame Kazonga is an AWESOME name!!!