The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-28-2012, 03:24 PM
Serene Highness

Wow, what a nice gift. Now what is the reason for giving this to William? Is it just because or is it for something he did? Just trying to understand. :)

Old 05-28-2012, 03:24 PM
Heir Presumptive

So, am I right in saying that William has been given the Thistle before either Andrew or Edward? HM is making some interesting decisions at the moment.

Old 05-28-2012, 03:28 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by EIIR View Post
So, am I right in saying that William has been given the Thistle before either Andrew or Edward? HM is making some interesting decisions at the moment.
Absoluely correct. Currently, only the following members of the Royal Family are (extra) Knights and Ladies:
- Prince Philip (since 1952)
- Prince Charles (since 1977)
- Princess Anne (since 2000)
- Prince William (since 25 May 2012)

Unlike the Garter, this honour appears to be given to very few members of the Royal Family. Prince Philip and Prince Charles were created Knights of the Order for obvious reasons - as the prince consort and Duke of Rothesay respectively. Prince William is most likely honoured acknowledging his status as the Heir to the Throne and future Duke of Rothesay. However, I cannot understand the logic behind creating Princess Anne a Lady of the Order of Thistle, without extending the same honour to Prince Andrew and/or Prince Edward.

Splendid news for William; as I see it, it's a clear signal that Her Majesty has utmost trust in her grandson.
Old 05-28-2012, 04:12 PM
Heir Presumptive

I think it's also a signal that William will become an increasingly more active part of the 'Firm'. I think the days of squirrelling away in Anglesey are numbered.

Anne has an affinity with Scotland. She always supports the Scotland rugby team, even when they're playing England. She's patron of Scotland Rugby, the game's governing body in Scotland. Peter played for the Scotland Under 18 rugby team when he was at school at Gordonstoun. Zara also chose to get married in Edinburgh.

I think Scottish people find Anne a down to earth, unfussy sort of person, which is what Scots like to think they're like too.
Old 05-28-2012, 04:51 PM
Serene Highness

O.k., so now I understand that this gift to William from the Queen is another stepping stone in his position as a senior member of the family.
Old 05-28-2012, 05:10 PM
Nobility

Congratulations to the Duke of Cambridge!

I would not be surprised if Her Majesty made this appointment in consideration of William's ties to Scotland, particularly St. Andrews. Or maybe she really liked how his interview with Katie Couric turned out.
Old 05-28-2012, 05:23 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thena View Post
I would not be surprised if Her Majesty made this appointment in consideration of William's ties to Scotland, particularly St. Andrews. Or maybe she really liked how his interview with Katie Couric turned out.
So what did Harry say wrong during the interview to be snubbed?
Old 05-28-2012, 05:27 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemisia View Post
So what did Harry say wrong during the interview to be snubbed?
Nothing! But Harry other than William and Catherine has not shown a special relationship to Scotland. So while it is fitting that the Heir to the Duke of Rothesay and Scion of the Stuarts should become a Knight of the Thisle, there is in addition the fact/hope that this honour means more than just an obligatory honour to William.
Old 05-28-2012, 05:30 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kataryn View Post
Nothing! But Harry other than William and Catherine has not shown a special relationship to Scotland. So while it is fitting that the Heir to the Duke of Rothesay and Scion of the Stuarts should become a Knight of the Thisle, there is in addition the fact/hope that this honour means more than just an obligatory honour to William.
Oh, I was just joking.
I agree with the symbolism; it's fitting that Scotland's highest honour should be given to the future Duke of Rothesay.
Old 05-28-2012, 05:31 PM
Majesty

What great news! I think this is a definite sign that William, in the eyes of the Queen is doing a fabulous job when it comes to his royal duties (as well as serving his country as a SAR pilot). I agree with EIIR, that this is also a sign that in the very near future, William (along with is wife) will be taking a more prominent role as the member of the Royal Family and taking on more duties and engagements.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 05-28-2012, 06:17 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daria_S View Post
What great news! I think this is a definite sign that William, in the eyes of the Queen is doing a fabulous job when it comes to his royal duties (as well as serving his country as a SAR pilot). I agree with EIIR, that this is also a sign that in the very near future, William (along with is wife) will be taking a more prominent role as the member of the Royal Family and taking on more duties and engagements.
I've been having strong feelings that after the heart problems of the DoE last winter, both the Queen and the DoE have perhaps reached the decision that once the milestone of the Diamond Jubilee has been passed, it is time to slow the pace down a bit and gradually put more and more focus on their main support system in Charles and Camilla and the Wales grandchildren and spouses.

As we have heard, the balcony appearance this upcoming weekend will include only the above mentioned, perhaps HM's honoring William with the Order of the Thistle is another nuance to gradually usher in the era of a downsized royal family in the UK. As Charles gradually takes on more and more of duties he will be required to do as King, William also will be gradually stepping into roles as his father's heir. I guess you could say in a way it'll be a gradual ascension over time.

In this way also, with HM and the DoE taking it easier, the better chances I think we'll have of seeing a Platinum Jubilee in 10 years time too.
Old 05-28-2012, 06:26 PM
Heir Apparent

Congratulations to the newest Knight of the Order of the Thistle, another indication of the trust and confidence that HM has in her grandson.
Old 05-28-2012, 08:04 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
I've been having strong feelings that after the heart problems of the DoE last winter, both the Queen and the DoE have perhaps reached the decision that once the milestone of the Diamond Jubilee has been passed, it is time to slow the pace down a bit and gradually put more and more focus on their main support system in Charles and Camilla and the Wales grandchildren and spouses.

As we have heard, the balcony appearance this upcoming weekend will include only the above mentioned, perhaps HM's honoring William with the Order of the Thistle is another nuance to gradually usher in the era of a downsized royal family in the UK. As Charles gradually takes on more and more of duties he will be required to do as King, William also will be gradually stepping into roles as his father's heir. I guess you could say in a way it'll be a gradual ascension over time.

In this way also, with HM and the DoE taking it easier, the better chances I think we'll have of seeing a Platinum Jubilee in 10 years time too.
Excellent points . I think the heart scare from this past December really solidified the fact that the most senior members of the Windsor Family (Her Majesty and Prince Philip) will want to have a pace that's a bit slower and perhaps more relaxed. I don't see them stopping completely, since it's not in the nature of either. However, I won't be at all surprised if after this summer, The Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall will do some of the engagements that in previous years were done by his mother. We already see that in the fact that Charles does more and more investitures at Buckingham Palace, and so on. It's sad to say, but it's only natural that the duties get shifted and are given to the younger members. They're after all the future of the monarchy, and the small group on the balcony is a very significant step in that direction. Like you, I hope that we'll be lucky enough to see Her Majesty mark her Platinum Jubilee. It'll an occasion that will definitely trump this one, since (to my knowledge anyway) no monarch in the history of Great Britain has ever made it to that milestone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baroness of Books View Post
Congratulations to the newest Knight of the Order of the Thistle, another indication of the trust and confidence that HM has in her grandson.
Hear hear! I'm in complete agreement with you.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 05-28-2012, 09:18 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by EIIR
I think it's also a signal that William will become an increasingly more active part of the 'Firm'. I think the days of squirrelling away in Anglesey are numbered.

Anne has an affinity with Scotland. She always supports the Scotland rugby team, even when they're playing England. She's patron of Scotland Rugby, the game's governing body in Scotland. Peter played for the Scotland Under 18 rugby team when he was at school at Gordonstoun. Zara also chose to get married in Edinburgh.

I think Scottish people find Anne a down to earth, unfussy sort of person, which is what Scots like to think they're like too.
I completely agree....also Anne's 2nd wedding was in Scotland, and IIRC didn't she recently take over for the DOE as chancellor of st Andrews or unv of Edinburgh?

I wonder if Edward will be awarded the KT after he succeeds as DOE?
Old 05-29-2012, 03:27 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleQ2 View Post
I completely agree....also Anne's 2nd wedding was in Scotland, and IIRC didn't she recently take over for the DOE as chancellor of st Andrews or unv of Edinburgh?

I wonder if Edward will be awarded the KT after he succeeds as DOE?
University of Edinburgh has Princess Anne as its chancellor.

Whilst I don't mind HM giving William the Order, it's probably more to do with the fact he'll one day be King rather than he's done anything substantial.

Queen to make Prince William Knight of the Thistle to mark his 30th birthday | Mail Online
Old 05-29-2012, 04:06 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Whilst I don't mind HM giving William the Order, it's probably more to do with the fact he'll one day be King rather than he's done anything substantial.
I think it has to do with the basic idea of chivalry and knighthood: (from wikipedia) :

Becoming a knight was not a widely attainable goal in the medieval era. Sons of knights were eligible for the ranks of knighthood. While other young men could become knights, in theory, it was nearly impossible for them to achieve that goal, especially for those from the lowest class. Those who were destined to become knights were singled out: in boyhood, these future warriors were sent off to a castle as pages, later becoming squires. Commonly around the age of 20, knights would be admitted to their rank in a ceremony called either "dubbing" (from the French adoubement), or the "Accolade". Although these strong young men had proved their eligibility, their social status would be permanently controlled. They were expected to obey the code of chivalry at all times, and no failure was accepted.
Chivalry and religion were mutually influenced. The early Crusades helped to clarify the moral code of chivalry as it related to religion. As a result, Christian armies began to devote their efforts to sacred purposes. As time passed, clergy instituted religious vows which required knights to use their weapons chiefly for the protection of the weak and defenceless, especially women and orphans, and of churches.

The Code of Chivalry continued to influence social behaviour long after the actual knighthood ceased to exist, influencing for example 19th century Victorian perceptions of how a "gentleman" ought to behave up to today. (End of quote)

In the late medieval times and the renaissance, monarchs took the idea of the chivalric order of the Crusades and created their own orders to build strong bonds with their best subjects in order to secure their power. This evolved into orders whose membership was to highlight extraordinary service to the monarch. But in any case the successor of the monarch as the future "fount of honour" was raised according to the old medieval ideas of chivalry (see above) and as soon as he came of age became a knight.

As people tend to live longer nowadays and spend more time in education before they settle down the appropriate age to introduce the future Found of Honour into the order went up in some cases while in others it is recognized at the baptism that a member of the Royal family should be a member of the order (see Estelle of Sweden, who was just awared the order of the Seraphim but will have to wait till she comes of age to actually participate in the order).
Old 05-29-2012, 04:52 AM
Heir Apparent

Prince William wishes Princess Diana had met kate Middleton - NYPOST.com
Old 05-29-2012, 12:13 PM
Heir Apparent

Thanks for the article, Ghost, and the reminder that the Katie Couric interview with the Princes is on ABC tonight from 9 - 11 p.m EST. That must be the saddest day of your life when a beloved person who has passed away can't be there for the momentous times.
Old 05-29-2012, 12:18 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Prince William shares his favourite memory of his grandmother
Prince William shares his favourite memory of his grandmother - hellomagazine.com
Old 05-29-2012, 12:23 PM
Heir Presumptive

oh god, I cant stop to cry. all the diana fans in the world (I am diana's fan with all my heart) miss her that day.

Today the world has embraced new royal Princesses in the form of Mary of Denmark and Maxima of the Netherlands. But it's questionable whether even these hugely popular, increasingly glamorous future Queens will ever capture the world's imagination in the same way as Diana.
As Mario acknowledges: "She really was a true Princess".
-www.theroyalist.net-
Closed Thread