Duke and Duchess of Sussex, General News Part 1: May 2018 - December 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yet, if a new immigrant to the US failed to stand for the Pledge of Allegiance or the National Anthem, what would Megyn Kelly's reaction be?

TOTALLY agree. Wish someone would ask her that and let her actually really think about it from a different perspective.

I was watching "Megyn Kelly" and she was talking about Meghan's curtsey to the Queen that the cameramen did not get a good shot of during the wedding. She was debating about whether Meghan should have curtseyed to the Queen since she is American and Megyn said she would not curtsey to the Queen. It was a stupid discussion. Of course Meghan should curtsey to the Queen. She is a member of the British Royal Family now. I just had to get that off my chest.

That is the same discussion as whether Meghan should sing "God Save the Queen" or not because she is American. As a member of the Royal Family, she has no choice really. I don't think she minds it though.

I also expect Meghan to give up her American citizenship eventually, although she has been known to do things "differently" in the past.

Yet, if a new immigrant to the US failed to stand for the Pledge of Allegiance or the National Anthem, what would Megyn Kelly's reaction be?

Well, a friend of mine who is now a Canadian citizen told me once that, during the naturalization ceremony, he/she (I don't want to identify his/her gender) just "pretended' to be swearing the oath of allegiance to the Queen along with the rest of the crowd, but didn't really say it. I think that actually happens a lot and must happen with the US pledge of allegiance too.

Last edited:
I also expect Meghan to give up her American citizenship eventually, although she has been known to do things "differently" in the past.

I think for practicality, she will. She'll always be American as part of her identity, but with the US tax law, it's a pain.

Those born on August the 4th are often the guiding light to whatever social group, political movement, family or business to which they belong.....
Interesting , yes ?
Eh. My step-mother is an August 4th baby and has almost none of the traits mentioned in your book for people born on that day. Like she's almost the polar opposite of the things mentioned. So, I personally don't put any stock in that sort of thing....

Meghan will always be an American and she’s our real Princess.

I think she'll give up her American citizenship, but maybe only when her children are old enough to give up theirs.

Even the Fail reported that the new Duchess of Sussex was sticking out her hand at yesterday's Garden Party trying to block people who tried to curtsey to her by shaking their hands instead.

Yes, that sounds like an over ambitious parvenu who "doesn't know her place" doesn't it?:cool:

I am not a giddy Meghan fan but I really wish some folks would cut it with the snide passive aggressive digs and let the poor girl get on with it. She has been a Royal Duchess for barely four days! Give her a chance to get her bearings.:sad:

Frankly if I'd had to navigate the family drama that Meghan did in the runup to the wedding I'd be in bed huddled under the covers at KP right now with a bottle of vodka for company.

And that whining Piers Morgan can just zip it anytime. Someone pass him some whipped cream to go with those sour grapes he's been nibbling ever since the engagement was announced and Meghan(rightfully) cut him off at the knees.:bang:

Last edited:
:previous:
I saw people commenting on her walk when she and Harry left the garden party. It was too model-esque and too Hollywood. ? A woman can't even walk these days without some people having to critique it.

I think the reason Meghan was waiving off the curtsies & bows is because it's finally sinking in: she is officially royalty. She wants to signal she really hasn't changed, but let's face it, there is a change. I am happy to see after all that vile mess that has been heaped on her some are willing to afford her the bow and curtsy out of respect. She'll still get the stick because that is standard for a royal but it was very nice to see.

Even the Fail reported that the new Duchess of Sussex was sticking out her hand at yesterday's Garden Party trying to block people who tried to curtsey to her by shaking their hands instead.

Yes, that sounds like an over ambitious parvenu who "doesn't know her place" doesn't it?:cool:

I am not a giddy Meghan fan but I really wish some folks would cut it with the snide passive aggressive digs and let the poor girl get on with it. She has been a Royal Duchess for barely four days! Give her a chance to get her bearings.:sad:

Frankly if I'd had to navigate the family drama that Meghan did in the runup to the wedding I'd be in bed huddled under the covers at KP right now with a bottle of vodka for company.

And that whining Piers Morgan can just zip it anytime. Someone pass him some whipped cream to go with those sour grapes he's been nibbling ever since the engagement was announced and Meghan(rightfully) cut him off at the knees.:bang:

It must be hard to get used to people bowing and curtsying to you. I'd probably want to giggle if someone did it to me.

:previous:
I saw people commenting on her walk when she and Harry left the garden party. It was too model-esque and too Hollywood. ? A woman can't even walk these days without some people having to critique it.

She wiggles when she walks. Also, she has a little sway back, and her dress was not tailored for that.

Last edited by a moderator:
People are are ridiculous, she should change because she is now royal. Please, she should remain the woman Harry fell in love with.

I'm sure she will get the hang of her role in time .

It must be hard to get used to people bowing and curtsying to you. I'd probably want to giggle if someone did it to me.

And the late Diana Spencer, daughter of an Earl and descended from King Charles II, reportedly did exactly that as newlywed Princess of Wales before courtiers took her in hand!:lol:

But then again Diana was only a few weeks out of her teens when she became a Royal and obviously did not feel comfortable having people bow and scrape at first.

My feeling is that Meghan will eventually glide into acceptance the longer she is a member of the Firm, even if she is never 100% comfortable with it.

Last edited:
She walks very carefully...I noticed yesterday she puts one foot directly in front of the other..like on a beam. It's just something she picked up sometime when she was learning how to do things.

She does walk and stand with her shoulders pulled back. But we were all told that growing up..stand up straight, pull your shoulders back!

LaRae

I'm putting this here as I don't think it deserves its own thread and don't know where to place it.

Any rumblings on a Cypher for her/joint cypher? I love cyphers. They are just so interesting and (most of them) pretty. :flowers:

And since there are many, many reports of Harry and Wills telling people to hold off on the curtsey/title/sir to people that they meet, can we calm down that Meghan is doing the same thing - if a bit awkwardly at this point. Let her hit her stride with how she says does this. JMO.

Last edited:
I think she'll give up her American citizenship, but maybe only when her children are old enough to give up theirs.

I think it will happen as soon as possible. Why? The USA is the only country in the world that taxes by citizenship, not residency. (If you live and work outside most countries, you don't have to pay taxes to your country of origin, just the country you live and work in.) This was put in a few years ago and affects some of my family (my elderly mother is American originally & is a dual citizen. She has spent almost 75% of her life in Canada.)

I'm sure that the British Royal Family does not want to pay taxes to the US government (and I don't blame them, this law is ridiculous!)

She can renounce her US citizenship as soon as she has British citizenship (the US government charges a lot of money for renounciation and you have to agree to be audited by the IRS for the previous 5 years.) I'm sure Meghan and the British Royal Family have access to expert financial help to straighten out this mess.

Last edited:
Kate always has this smile on her face when someone curtseys...almost like she has a standard response she uses for the situation.

I wonder how long it will be for it to sink in for Meghan? My theory is that she's still pretty much in a daze, not quite sure if she's awake, or what.

Heck, all brides have stuff they have to get used to. Like taking their husband's surname. I remember sitting with my mother-in-law having coffee not long after the wedding and my phone rang asking for "Mrs. XXX". I handed the phone to my MIL and said "its for you." My new surname hadn't sunk in yet.
:lol:

Meghan will adapt easily as time passes. Its just at first things are going to seem somewhat odd to her. Perhaps she'll even have to get used to being called "Ma'am" along with those bows and curtsies. :D

I think it will happen as soon as possible. Why? The USA is the only country in the world that taxes by citizenship, not residency. (If you live and work outside most countries, you don't have to pay taxes to your country of origin, just the country you live in.) This was put in a few years ago and affects some of my family (my elderly mother is American originally & is a dual citizen. She has spent over 75% of her life in Canada.)

I'm sure that the British Royal Family does not want to pay taxes to the US government (and I don't blame them, this law is ridiculous!)

She can renounce her US citizenship as soon as she has British citizenship (the US government charges a lot of money for renounciation and you have to agree to be audited by the IRS for the previous 5 years.) I'm sure Meghan and the British Royal Family have access to expert financial help to straighten out this mess.

Lots of couples file taxes separately, so I'm thinking Harry would not have to share his income information with the IRS. I'm sure they have the best financial advisers money can buy, and they will have figured out something to lessen the impact of the taxes she must pay.

Kate always has this smile on her face when someone curtseys...almost like she has a standard response she uses for the situation.

I wonder how long it will be for it to sink in for Meghan? My theory is that she's still pretty much in a daze, not quite sure if she's awake, or what.

You are of course entitled to your opinion. But anyone I have ever known in a new job takes some time to come up with several responses for what they say in common occurrences. And the people who are really good at their jobs keep revising these replies as they gain information, experience and understanding. I expect the same for the DOS. She's got really good people skills and instincts, IMO. It's shown in the appearances she has done to date.

JMO, of course.

Heck, all brides have stuff they have to get used to. Like taking their husband's surname. I remember sitting with my mother-in-law having coffee not long after the wedding and my phone rang asking for "Mrs. XXX". I handed the phone to my MIL and said "its for you." My new surname hadn't sunk in yet.
:lol:

Meghan will adapt easily as time passes. Its just at first things are going to seem somewhat odd to her. Perhaps she'll even have to get used to being called "Ma'am" along with those bows and curtsies. :D

Not if she's ever been to the south. They start calling you ma'am when you turn 30. :ohmy:

You are of course entitled to your opinion. But anyone I have ever known in a new job takes some time to come up with several responses for what they say in common occurrences. And the people who are really good at their jobs keep revising these replies as they gain information, experience and understanding. I expect the same for the DOS. She's got really good people skills and instincts, IMO. It's shown in the appearances she has done to date.

JMO, of course.

I don't mean any disrespect at all! I have nothing against Kate.

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw an interview with Meghan and she told that on going to school in Los Angeles, she went after school, still in her school uniform, to the set of "Married.... with children" till her Dad finished for the day. I saw that series for a time to, because my late husband enjoyed it. While I could only close my eyes because of how vulgar and terrible that family was. Really obnoxious. That stupid son. Mother and daughter so slutty, Al Bundy so greedy and dumb. And it got me thinking how a pupil from a Catholic school, so surely expected to be well-behaved at all times, would consider that series and the behaviour shown there? For I got the impression Meghan is extremely well-behaved and polite, always saying thank you and please, friendly at introductions etc. So maybe the manners within the Royal family, the slight stiffness of Charles and his mother, is exactly what she wants. To be a part of a system where her place is well-defined and where she is referenced in the utmost polite way by family, staff and the people she meets on walk-abouts while OTOH she treats people friendly, polite and with respect.
If so, I'm happy for her.

I saw an interview with Meghan and she told that on going to school in Los Angeles, she went after school, still in her school uniform, to the set of "Married.... with children" till her Dad finished for the day. I saw that series for a time to, because my late husband enjoyed it. While I could only close my eyes because of how vulgar and terrible that family was. Really obnoxious. That stupid son. Mother and daughter so slutty, Al Bundy so greedy and dumb. And it got me thinking how a pupil from a Catholic school, so surely expected to be well-behaved at all times, would consider that series and the behaviour shown there? For I got the impression Meghan is extremely well-behaved and polite, always saying thank you and please, friendly at introductions etc. So maybe the manners within the Royal family, the slight stiffness of Charles and his mother, is exactly what she wants. To be a part of a system where her place is well-defined and where she is referenced in the utmost polite way by family, staff and the people she meets on walk-abouts while OTOH she treats people friendly, polite and with respect.
If so, I'm happy for her.

I think Meghan has said her father would send her to help with kraft services when things got too...interesting. :lol: I don't think Meghan has ever been stuffy, she's always known how to have a good time. Perhaps, just not Married with Children style. :lol:

"Married...With Children" was hilarious imo. It's vulgarity, low brow humor and caricature of a "typical" American family were all part of the fun.:lol:

But anyone watching that show and thinking it portrayed the average American family needs his/her head examined, same as the viewers from overseas who watched "Dallas" and "Dynasty" in the 80's and believed it to be accurate.

Lots of couples file taxes separately, so I'm thinking Harry would not have to share his income information with the IRS. I'm sure they have the best financial advisers money can buy, and they will have figured out something to lessen the impact of the taxes she must pay.

It might get tricky though. What if Meghan for example receives royal jewels as loans, or even worse as gifts ? Would she have to declare it to the IRS ? Private information about the RF income and fortune may end up being disclosed to federal agencies in the US.

I'm no expert at all on taxes but I believe that Meghan would have the option to file with the IRS as married filing separately. This would close the door to any inquiry about the royal family. This is just a thought and I'm sure theres people out there that know far more than I do.

It might get tricky though. What if Meghan for example receives royal jewels as loans, or even worse as gifts ? Would she have to declare it to the IRS ? Private information about the RF income and fortune may end up being disclosed to federal agencies in the US.

I have never heard of reporting loaned items as income. The clothes she wears don't belong to her, correct?

I have never heard of reporting loaned items as income. The clothes she wears don't belong to her, correct?
In Sweden we have something called "förmånsbeskattning" which according to Google translates as "benefit taxes" meaning that anything you get from your employer instead of money (car, overnight accommodation, work clothes etc) is the subject of taxation. Now the Swedish Royals aren't considered to be employed (so they pay no income tax) but could there be something like it in the UK?

I've written a long post about the basic issues relating to US tax in the Religion and Citizenship thread if anyone wants to revisit it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom