Duke and Duchess of Sussex, General News 3: February - May 2019

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Typical of certain UK tabloids to not grasp common sense. That they go clicking around on social media to try and twist a story shows continued low news editorial standards. I do not read Daily Mail nor will I click on their website, however, a reliable social media acquaintance noticed that DM used a picture already published from 2016.

Thankfully the official Royal Family website has documented very well Prince Harry’s good work with elephant conservation.

https://www.royal.uk/prince-harry-malawi-working-african-parks

In addition to the Royal Family website, the Sussex’s Instagram account provides useful information & lovely pictures & video. It’s nice to see pictures not previously released too.

Last edited:
:previous: I doubt that Harry was fast friends with Elba and his beau prior to the royal wedding. I'd heard that Elba was fairly acquainted with Prince Charles, since Elba had benefited from youth initiatives provided by the Prince's Trust. That's one reason why Elba was on the guest list with his plus one (Canadian model, Sabrina Dhowre, a former Miss Vancouver). I've already seen the DM article you posted, because I was enticed to the site (a rare exception) due to a Markle-related cluster-bust story.

M&H's wedding gift to Elba & bride must be related to conversations the couples may have had at informal gatherings post-royal wedding, otherwise it's pretty obscure. I've never heard of the artists. And the painting to my eyes and sensibilities doesn't seem worth it. But who knows, re the art world. Perhaps Harry and Meghan struck up a cordial friendship with Elba and Dhowre at last year's wedding reception, or the evening bash (if Elba & his fiancee attended the exclusive after-party -- and they probably did).

This is terrible. Always questioning the truth even if it comes out of the parties concerned.

Idriss Elba has himself told of his link to Harry. Indeed he himself said that he benefited from the Prince's Trust as an aspiring actor, and in return, he has been giving back. He became acquainted with the POW as well as his sons, an he became friend with Harry overtime. As a side gig, he dj, and Harry asked him if wanted to dj at his wedding at the evening event.

He has known him, long before Meghan

Last edited:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...-Harry-didnt-tell-wildlife-photos-Malawi.html

Prince Harry posted a spectacular wildlife album on his official Instagram page to mark this year's Earth Day. But the rhino, elephant and lion shown in Harry's photographs had in fact all been tranquilised.
The elephant had also been tethered, as a picture taken of the same scene from a different angle shows.

Let me get this straight, are they seriously at the point of dragging Harry for not endangering his life enough as the animals are tranquilized? And having a professional photographer on just to criticize Harry because apparently he doesn’t think Harry captured all there is to capture of wildlife. Do they seriously think the main point is photography here? Like animals are going extinct, but screw that, let’s criticize him for not being the best professional photographer even though we know he’s not.

How else can it be spun? :flowers:

Why would it need to be spun? Even DM isn’t low enough to openly criticize Harry for using normally used and harmless method.

This is terrible. Always questioning the truth even if it comes out of the parties concerned.

Idriss Elba has himself told of his link to Harry. Indeed he himself said that he benefited from the Prince's Trust as an aspiring actor, and in return, he has been giving back. He became acquainted with the POW as well as his sons, an he became friend with Harry overtime. As a side gig, he dj, and Harry asked him if wanted to dj at his wedding at the evening event.

He has known him, long before Meghan

In no way was I ever questioning Elba's connection to the royals. I didn't say that Elba did not know Prince Harry. In fact, I noted in my previous post that it was Elba's connection with the Prince's Trust, and his success as an actor which connected him to the royals. So of course, Elba was acquainted with both Prince Charles and Prince Harry well before Prince Harry began dating Meghan. Thus, the wedding invitation. During the royal wedding broadcast, one of the less-informed network commentators queried Elba's connection to Meghan and Harry (so that is in part what I was recalling).

I appreciate you linking Elba's March 2019 interview comments on the Ellen talk show. I was not fully aware of how well he and Harry might know each other, but I was aware they knew each other. According to Elba's comments on Ellen, he'd 'hung out' with Harry and William on a few occasions, and Harry had attended a few of Elba's parties where Elba had served as dj. Obviously impressed by Elba's dj skills, Harry asked him to dj for the royal wedding after-party. Clearly, Elba was honored and taken by surprise as well. Still, my doubting that Prince Harry and Elba were 'fast friends' is accurate. They were apparently casual acquaintances who 'hung out' together on a few occasions, prior to the royal wedding.

This is obviously an example of 'famous and wealthy people with common ground flocking together,' as I discussed in my previous post. It's also an example of royalty rubbing shoulders with VIPs and with 'all the best,' talented people in the world. Fancy that. ;) Another example is when Diana PoW got the Spice Girls to show up at KP as a surprise birthday appearance for Prince William. Cool, eh!

My speculation (as I noted in the earlier post) is that Elba and his fiancee obviously must have struck up a cordial connection with both M&H in order to have received the expensive wedding gift. That means a cordial connection between both couples, beyond Elba's casual acquaintance with Prince Harry before last year's royal wedding. And btw, as the receiver of a wedding gift from any royals, I personally would have tried to keep such a gift on the down-low, rather than having it leaked out to the media. But that's just me.

I do recall hearing about the dj gig request of Elba by Harry. That sounds like a cool blast of fun really. Idris Elba is a fine actor. I've not seen his much talked about series, Luther, but I'm planning to soon binge-watch on Netflix. ?

As far as my references to celebs 'jockeying and putting out feelers,' I most certainly was not characterizing Idris Elba in that way, since he knew the royals long before Harry met Meghan. I was talking about famous celebs and VIPs who actually did not know Meghan or Harry well or at all prior to their courtship and engagement.

For example, Ivanka Trump was one of the famous people to whom little known Suits actress Meghan had placed a cold call to for a former Tig feature. Ivanka had generously complied. After the royal engagement announcement of M&H, Ivanka was one of the famous people with a tangential connection who tweeted congratulations to Meghan. But alas, Ivanka did not receive a wedding invite. ;) Even absent the 'no political invitees UK government directive,' I doubt Ivanka was anywhere near making the wedding guest list first draft or final cut. :lol:

Last edited:
I didn't click on that Dailymail article, but reading comments about it, it just sounds like another misleading attempt to rile up their readers. Filled with untruths and fake outrage over nothing at all.

All of the media's 'wild' wildlife photograph speculations surrounding the Duke of Sussex's conservation activities in Africa should be put to rest. There was even an arts reporter for The Guardian who felt the out-of-left-field necessity to compare the Duchess of Cambridge's accomplished photographic skills with Harry's amateur wildlife photography forays! Two different genres, and clearly no necessity to compare. The reporter actually dissed Harry for no real reason, claiming that Harry was playing at trying to emulate the photographs of famous wildlife photographer, Sebastio Selgado. :ermm: It's a very curious case of mocking and dissing an admitted amateur photographer, IMO.

The Duchess of Cambridge, likely took some photography courses while at St. Andrews (the school has an excellent photography program, and courses in photography are taught under the History of Art degree program). It's not out of the realm of possibility that Kate may have even inspired Harry's interest in photography, and given him tips. But I doubt he's aiming to enter any photography contests. It's surely a passionate hobby as well as a practical pursuit in the age of Instagram.

The tabloid media do need to stop trolling the Sussex's Instagram account.

The tabloid media do need to stop trolling the Sussex's Instagram account.
Why? I mean, the individual Instagram account was a terrible idea to start with. Add to it the way it's being handled and it's a clear invitation for people (and tabloids) to troll.

I can't blame them, it's my first instinct too.

Though I do agree, Harry's pictures should be left alone, they are actually really good.

Why? I mean, the individual Instagram account was a terrible idea to start with. Add to it the way it's being handled and it's a clear invitation for people (and tabloids) to troll.

I agree, the IG account was a spectacularly bad idea.

Reactions: Fem

Though I do agree, Harry's pictures should be left alone, they are actually really good.

What's specific on the Sussex Instagram account, that invites people and tabloids to troll? As far as I can remember, while Meghan and Harry were under KP Instagram, the comment section was filled with trolls, extremely nasty trolls. And these made up articles would be happening with or without Sussex own Instagram. I don't think Dailymail is running out of ideas on how to find fault in Meghan.

As for the individual Instagram accounts, don't all royal households have their individual social media accounts? Why should Sussexes be the exception?

Last edited:
I don’t really get it either. I can’t see anything on their IG account that invites trolling anymore then the other royal accounts. People who want to troll will troll, regardless of whether their accounts are separate or together.

What's specific on the Sussex Instagram account, that invites people and tabloids to troll? As far as I can remember, while Meghan and Harry were under KP Instagram, the comment section was filled with trolls, extremely nasty trolls. And these made up articles would be happening with or without Sussex own Instagram. I don't think Dailymail is running out of ideas on how to find fault in Meghan.
Because people are always going to be nasty and there'll always be trolling. It's the Internet, you either accept it and deal with it or you try to pick a fight with sun. The only thing you can do is to not give them more reason to troll and be nasty, and that instagram gives them a lot of ammunition.

My biggest issue with it is the fact that they're making some poor media intern write as if they're the ones posting the pictures and comments. It's weird. Stop doing that. I mean, the pictures are nice? I guess? But the captions are overly long and jumping between the normal, official tone and the "I'm your next door neighbour" tone.

As for the individual Instagram accounts, don't all royal households have their individual social media accounts? Why should Sussexes be the exception?

Wait, do all royal households have their own individual social media accounts? Because from working royals, I have three - Clarence House, Kensington Royal and The Royal Family, well four with the Sussex Royal, and I'm pretty sure there's more royal households than four.

Wait, do all royal households have their own individual social media accounts? Because from working royals, I have three - Clarence House, Kensington Royal and The Royal Family, well four with the Sussex Royal, and I'm pretty sure there's more royal households than four.

Well five with the Prince Andrew of York has an Instagram Account. Duke of York also has a Twitter Account.

Last edited:
Because people are always going to be nasty and there'll always be trolling. It's the Internet, you either accept it and deal with it or you try to pick a fight with sun. The only thing you can do is to not give them more reason to troll and be nasty, and that instagram gives them a lot of ammunition.

Not trying to be dense here, but what is it about this specific IG account that invites trolling. The combined account had so many trolls even the media noticed.

Not all the British royals do. Eugenie has one and I think her father but most come under one of the banner ones. Although KP is now exclusively the Cambridges. A lot of other royals world wide have personal public ones that they share personal pics and stories on. The Sussex one is nothing compared to some of them except the British media don't give a stuff about looking through them for stories to twist.

I don't think it's backfiring. They might have posted the photos on the KP one previously. And they're hardly washing dirty linen on SM like some (former) royals. The "uproar" over the wildlife pics is ridiculous to anyone who's watched any wildlife show where they routinely sedate and restrain animals when doing necessary procedures or tagging, for the animl's own safety and comfort and that of the people helping them.

Last edited:
Well five with the Prince Andrew of York has an Instagram Account. Duke of York also has a Twitter Account.

Oh, true, five. I completely forgot about Prince Andrew, thanks for that! Still more royal households than Instagram accounts though.

Not all the British royals do. Eugenie has one and I think her father but most come under one of the banner ones.

I don't count Eugenie or Beatrice, because for me (since they're not working royals) they're private citizens with titles, so the situation there is a bit different.

My biggest issue with it is the fact that they're making some poor media intern write as if they're the ones posting the pictures and comments. It's weird. Stop doing that. I mean, the pictures are nice? I guess? But the captions are overly long and jumping between the normal, official tone and the "I'm your next door neighbour" tone.

I'm going to take it back to the social media trolling, because while the Sussexes were under KP, it was at its worst, to the point, that the social media guidelines had to be introduced. So it's definitely not the posts and how and what is posted, that invites the trolls. I haven't read through all of the sussexroyal comments, obviously, but what I've seen, there actually is much less trolling and negativity going on.

I'm taking, that the Sussexes instagram isn't to your personal taste, and that's perfectly fine. I like the posting style a lot. I find their posts very informative, interesting and inviting to learn more.
But just because you don't like their posting style, and I like it, makes no difference the Instagram account being a failure or not, or inviting to trolls. They're just different personal tastes.

I'm going to take it back to the social media trolling, because while the Sussexes were under KP, it was at its worst, to the point, that the social media guidelines had to be introduced. So it's definitely not the posts and how and what is posted, that invites the trolls. I haven't read through all of the sussexroyal comments, obviously, but what I've seen, there actually is much less trolling and negativity going on.

I agree and have also noticed that there's been less trolling online (from what we know of or have seen) now that the Sussexes have moved out of Kensington Palace. Whilst there are still and will always (unfortunately) be trolls on social media aiming posts at Meghan, they've seemed to be a lot calmer recently.

Your first instinct is to troll?

Not all the British royals do. Eugenie has one and I think her father but most come under one of the banner ones. Although KP is now exclusively the Cambridges. A lot of other royals world wide have personal public ones that they share personal pics and stories on. The Sussex one is nothing compared to some of them except the British media don't give a stuff about looking through them for stories to twist.

I don't think it's backfiring. They might have posted the photos on the KP one previously. And they're hardly washing dirty linen on SM like some (former) royals. The "uproar" over the wildlife pics is ridiculous to anyone who's watched any wildlife show where they routinely sedate and restrain animals when doing necessary procedures or tagging, for the animl's own safety and comfort and that of the people helping them.

Completely agree with all of this. All royals on SM get troll comments, however the DM article about the wildlife photos of Harry's was so ignorant. I mean, who doesn't know you have to sedate animals in order to tag and track them.

Also, there is no backfiring. The same people who were leaving nasty comments on KP's twitter and Instagram accounts whenever a post were made about the Sussex's are the same ones writing their nasty (which now gets deleted) messages on the Sussex page. I also think that it's more controlled.

BTW...no one has any idea who is writing the posts whether it's Meghan or some "poor" intern.

Oh, true, five. I completely forgot about Prince Andrew, thanks for that! Still more royal households than Instagram accounts though.

The point is having a separate social media isn’t either or. It’s a decision that’s made on a case by case basis. The only other ones that would apply to is Anne and the Wessexes. And frankly, both of those have long established a way of communication before the social media age. Harry and Meghan are from a different generation and speaks to a different generation.

I’ve been very impressed with the SussexRoyal IG account. It’s very informative and engaging. Frankly, a good example of how to properly use IG to communicate. The tone isn’t much different than the other royal family accounts. They write it in a way that speaks on behalf of the royals, because they do represent the royals no matter who is writing them. It’s the longer captions that actually gives it substance compared to the very short and generic captions KP used to use on their IG. That’s what makes it more than “the pictures are nice? I guess?” Although, I hear they have since tried to change to the way Sussexes write their captions.

As for trolls, if one is to let potential trolls to stop them from doing something, might as well stay home and do nothing.

Last edited:
The SussexRoyal account is the only reason I signed up for Instagram. It is engaging and provides detailed information with lovely pictures.

I don’t read trashy tabloids and since several newspapers & magazines seem to just be copying and pasting rubbish tabloid articles, several are no longer worth reading.

The Royal Family website and the SussexRoyal Instagram account provides all the quality information needed.

All working Royal Households (Royal Family, Clarence House, Kensington Royal, Duke of York) have both Instagram Accounts and Twitter Accounts.
The Sussex Royal have Instagram Account only. They'll probably get a Twitter account too. I hope they do cause I really love their IG account.

The Princess Royal and the Wessexes are the only households without social media accounts.

Last edited:
The SussexRoyal account is the only reason I signed up for Instagram. It is engaging and provides detailed information with lovely pictures.

I don’t read trashy tabloids and since several newspapers & magazines seem to just be copying and pasting rubbish tabloid articles, several are no longer worth reading.

The Royal Family website and the SussexRoyal Instagram account provides all the quality information needed.

Same here. I signed up for Instagram for the SussexRoyal account also. Can't say that I've checked it out often but I did notice one thing.

The information about the wildlife photos and post was first seen by me here and because of that, I went to the Instagram account to check it out further.
I'd noticed that in the post with the link was also a Daily Fail link. I just went to the IG account and didn't bother with the Fail article at all. I got to effectively see the "real" thing without the middleman and whatever spin the Fail wanted to put on it.

This is the point of the account and directly communicating with the public via SM eliminates the need there used to be for the media to deliver all the royal news and events to us. I'd very much rather see photographs that Harry took up front and personal than a professional photographer. I'd also prefer to see pictures of royal children taken by their parents rather than more professional ones at a photo op session.

We're not required to hunt for trolls when we visit the IG or Twitter accounts of anyone. We're there for the firsthand information that is made available for us by those that hold the account. I personally think its a good idea.

S

This is the point of the account and directly communicating with the public via SM eliminates the need there used to be for the media to deliver all the royal news and events to us. I'd very much rather see photographs that Harry took up front and personal than a professional photographer. I'd also prefer to see pictures of royal children taken by their parents rather than more professional ones at a photo op session.

The use of a professional photographer is needed at times. And even the photos Kate took of her children were released to the media.

The Sussex's Instagram account is a great idea! They gained a huge number of followers (a world record-breaking number of followers) within the first 4 to 8 hours, and still growing. The account is 'doing just fine,' as Meghan might say. ? Plus so far, it's well written and informative. Sussex fans the world over are excited about M&H having this outlet to share their projects, advocacy and fund-raising efforts, and to speak directly to the public.

It's the media, OTOH, who really need to learn how to control and monitor themselves. That's one of the biggest problems in the royal sphere right now. Additional problems are interfering, out-of-touch royal courtiers, and lack of diversity among royal reporters.

Times, they are a-changing. Stay tuned...

The use of a professional photographer is needed at times. And even the photos Kate took of her children were released to the media.

Of course. We see this with the impending presentation of Baby Sussex to the world. 1 photographer, 1 reporter and 1 camera will be allowed access to share with the rest of the world. Eliminates the three ring media circus all vying for that "best story" and "best photo" spot.

The media is definitely not going to go away but with recent moves of releasing photographs taken by parents and information released on personal social media accounts, it is implementing more control by the royals of the actual content they release.

Its all good.

:previous: Right. That was my first thought too. The Sussexes already cleared that up in any case via Omid Scobie's Harper's article.

There was also some clarification in the press statement from BP, in the aftermath of the confusing Times articles that unleashed copycat stories and subsequent spinning and back-tracking. The Sussexes were never planning on moving to any country in Africa permanently.

I guess Canada and the U.S. in particular will have to wait till after the 2020 election for visits by the Sussexes.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom