Duke and Duchess of Sussex, General News 3: February - May 2019

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Every time I think the DM can't sink any lower, it reaches even further into the sewer.

This latest invasion of both Meghan and her Mum's privacy is obscene. It is vile. If somebody put my baby photos all over the internet for $$ I would want to sue them back to the pre historic age. But neither Meghan nor Doria can speak out or take action to defend themselves. It wouldn't be so bad if they could fight back in some way but they have sit back and watch so called 'family' knife them time and time again.

This IS gutless cyber bulling and I hate it.

The more I see of this media stalking and bullying the less envious I become of the wealth and privilage because there is such a horrific and violating personal price to pay.

Last edited:
Uncle Joe sold 30 pictures to the DM so this is a planned series and Unc is going to clean up. DM just announced to the Markles and the world their services are no longer required. The Markles are not providing new material and DM opened its books and realized the paternal family is not making money in the long run. Meghan has big name defenders in Oprah, Beyonce and George Clooney. Gayle King is doing a a special. Samantha's books are going to be a rehash. I think the DM has decided to stop wasting its time and money on the Markles and go for a new angle.

I don’t believe there actually is a book by Samantha at all, she’s been saying that for awhile and there is no indication of a forthcoming book by her. Maybe she is self publishing, but that takes some upfront cash.

I'm inclined to believe that there isn't a book too. If there was and Samantha aimed to release it around the birth of Baby Sussex, the publisher would most likely be doing promotions for the book by now and taking preorders.

Even if she does release a book, I don't think it'll do very well at all. I can't imagine a publisher actually backing something like this. Self publishing is possible but I imagine that it'd be a waste of money for Ms. Grant-Markle.

I have always found it odd only her mom was there.
Maybe it’s the tribe Jewish genes thing or being a granddaughter of holocaust survivors with literally most of the families being wiped out, so I am Uber aware of ones roots and family trees. But, I have extended family members on my mom side (no family left anymore on my dad) I have not seen since I was a teenager at best and was never quite close to them even then, and some not so extended I don’t have much connection with as we just drifted apart- as can happen- I still make sure to call and say happy b-day call, and happy holiday and spend Rosh Hashana evening with them. None the less, if I were to get married in a regular ceremony (meaning not eloping) I would at the very least send them an invite- it’s basic courtesy and showing of respect and kindness.0

especially if I had millions to spare for my wedding and no space issue whatsoever! And was inviting people who literally never met me before the wedding day.

Say what you will, it makes no sense Every single family member is toxic or problematic. Statistically it is nearly impossible! Sorry her mom side looks very nice and decent from where i’m standing.

Just think as if you were one of her family members. How would you feel not even getting the invite? We’re not talking 3 times removed family, but her own uncles and cousins! That’s considered first degree, 2nd at most. They were obviously part of her life growing up to some degree.

Her uncle plain and simple says no one else was invited, personally? I’d feel deeply hurt and insulted if my sister kids didn’t invite me to their wedding- even if we had no connection in the years before it.

Then why should they be invited to her wedding? No response on why they weren't at her first wedding either, and that they haven't spoken to each other in 20 years.

BTW...My first wedding was just my mom, and if I were to ever get married again, it will be just my mother again. I have tons of family, a father, half brothers and sisters and plenty of aunts, uncles and cousins. I've rarely seen many of my extended family, and I'm sure some would be put out by not receiving an invite, but I'm not going to be fake on my wedding day and invite people that I don't associate with (blood or not) or who I don't get along with.

My point is why should they care what she thinks about them now after not getting invited to the wedding? Meghan is the common factor in all these falling outs and snubs with both sides of her family so I just can't accept that it's everyone else who is at fault.

Maybe it’s the tribe Jewish genes thing or being a granddaughter of holocaust survivors with literally most of the families being wiped out, so I am Uber aware of ones roots and family trees. But, I have extended family members on my mom side (no family left anymore on my dad) I have not seen since I was a teenager at best and was never quite close to them even then, and some not so extended I don’t have much connection with as we just drifted apart- as can happen- I still make sure to call and say happy b-day call, and happy holiday and spend Rosh Hashana evening with them. None the less, if I were to get married in a regular ceremony (meaning not eloping) I would at the very least send them an invite- it’s basic courtesy and showing of respect and kindness.0

especially if I had millions to spare for my wedding and no space issue whatsoever! And was inviting people who literally never met me before the wedding day.

Say what you will, it makes no sense Every single family member is toxic or problematic. Statistically it is nearly impossible! Sorry her mom side looks very nice and decent from where i’m standing.

Just think as if you were one of her family members. How would you feel not even getting the invite? We’re not talking 3 times removed family, but her own uncles and cousins! That’s considered first degree, 2nd at most. They were obviously part of her life growing up to some degree.

Her uncle plain and simple says no one else was invited, personally? I’d feel deeply hurt and insulted if my sister kids didn’t invite me to their wedding- even if we had no connection in the years before it.

I couldn't agree more and she has some nice aunts and uncles on her dad's side too, one of whom helped her get a job years ago and had never offended her in any way. That uncle also expressed surprise at not being invited and I don't blame him and I won't call people toxic because they express disappointment over how she's treated them. There may be some she's unhappy with but to blank all of them dosn't make any sense to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
For the relatives that didn't show up they have not had contact with Meghan for almost 20 years and expect to be invited. What are the chances those family members would expected have Meghan and Harry pay for air fare, hotel accommodations, tailored morning coats, designer dresses and hats and eveningwear? Doria's mother of the bride outfit was Oscar De la Renta, Dad had suits and shoes specially made. You bet the other family members would want the same level of dressing and that can add up. The queen and Prince Charles may not have been willing to pick up the tab or the queen would not allow them to stay at royal residences. That could have been factors . So the family was limited to Doria and Dad. Then Pap gate happened so there was Doria.

Last edited:
Just because you share DNA with relatives, it doesn't make them "family". To be honest, many of Meghan's relatives seem to me to be, to put it mildly, relative strangers. Meghan was 2 when Doria and Tom, Sr. divorced so its not like they all lived together as a big, happy family. Related by blood, yes. Family? No.

My second wedding consisted of having my future sister-in-law as a witness and her 5 year old daughter as a flower girl. Other family such as my mom and my kids and my brother live quite a distance out of state and as this was just a 15 minute civil ceremony, we did it with as little fanfare as we could.

The more this is discussed, the more it makes sense when Harry stated around the Christmas before the wedding that the holiday parties gave Meghan "the family she's never had".

Sounds ideal and very much how I would want to do things. However, if I was marrying someone who because of their role in life had a venue with 1000 people I would invite everyone...aunt's, uncles, first cousins and their partners and kids, friends from all at ages of my life who I am still in contact with. If ai had ot my way...I would invite 5 people. It was odd not to invite anyone from her family. Some sound fine and her Mum was on her own at the wedding.

For the relatives that didn't show up they have not had contact with Meghan for almost 20 years and expect to be invited. What are the chances those family members would expected have Meghan and Harry pay for air fare, hotel accommodations, tailored morning coats, designer dresses and hats and eveningwear? Doria's mother of the bride outfit was Oscar De la Renta, Dad had suits and shoes specially made. You bet the other family members would want the same level of dressing and that can add up. The queen and Prince Charles may not have been willing to pick up the tab or the queen would not allow them to stay at royal residences. That could have been factors . So the family was limited to Doria and Dad. Then Pap gate happened so there was Doria.

Hmm, I don't see why they would expect this.. though it would be a nice gesture if Megan did it.

Let's also remember Meghan married into a family where the matriarch is the ceremonial head of state. By law Harry had to get the queen's consent to marry Meghan and the Counsillors of State had to agree. I would not be surprised if Meghan was vetted before the official sign off and her families may have been scrubbed as well since it been years since Meghan contacted them. It could be some of Meghan's family came out of the wrong side of a background check so they were no gos for the wedding. The half siblings were obvious. Pick some and not others would have been a bigger mess so they would settle for Mom and Dad.

Let's also remember Meghan married into a family where the matriarch is the ceremonial head of state. By law Harry had to get the queen's consent to marry Meghan and the Counsillors of State had to agree. I would not be surprised if Meghan was vetted before the official sign off and her families may have been scrubbed as well since it been years since Meghan contacted them. It could be some of Meghan's family came out of the wrong side of a background check so they were no gos for the wedding. The half siblings were obvious. Pick some and not others would have been a bigger mess so they would settle for Mom and Dad.
but "Dad" did't come...though it seems he was invited and expected....

But these are still family members and most people have family members at their weddings whom they barely see. As her Uncle said there were hundreds of guests there including a lot of celebrities who had never been known to be friends of her's prior to the wedding day but no family except her mother. I have never seen a wedding like it in that respect. I also wouldn't call her relatives 'toxic', why should they care what she thinks about them?

So Meghan should pretend just because they share DNA because others do it? With the exception of Oprah, I didn’t see any celebrity that was a surprised. And even Oprah, she goes to the same church as Doria.

Doubt it. While some of these people will sell anything for a few bucks, I don’t see any grave concern. We have to remember, embarrassing family members aren’t exactly new for the royal family. It’s down to if neither side have bothered to form a relationship in years, there is no need to invite them to the wedding. Royal or not.

I couldn't agree more and she has some nice aunts and uncles on her dad's side too, one of whom helped her get a job years ago and had never offended her in any way. That uncle also expressed surprise at not being invited and I don't blame him and I won't call people toxic because they express disappointment over how she's treated them. There may be some she's unhappy with but to blank all of them dosn't make any sense to me.

That uncle is the one who sold his brother’s location in Mexico to the paparazzi.

My point is why should they care what she thinks about them now after not getting invited to the wedding? Meghan is the common factor in all these falling outs and snubs with both sides of her family so I just can't accept that it's everyone else who is at fault.

I don’t think we are saying they should care. However to blame Meghan for this is ridiculous. Many of them sold her for money BEFORE the invitations were even printed. Given that, why in the world would she even consider inviting them?

Even without it, I certainly see no problem with her keeping the circle close and keep out people that aren’t in her life to avoid further complications. Why open the can of worms if you don’t have to. It’s their prerogative to speak or not at this point, but at least it is known they have no access and this updated information.

And btw, no one is at fault for not inviting or getting invited. It’s just no one has to invite people they aren’t close to. But to sell her out and complain about not being invited at the same time is a bit rich. It’s proving she did the right thing. And obviously none of them had similar interest in getting an invite to her first wedding. Wishing her well on her wedding day obviously isn’t top priority for them or why they want to go to her wedding. It’s being able to say they have connection to royalty.

That uncle is the one who sold his brother’s location in Mexico to the paparazzi.

BEFORE the invitation was an issue I should point out.

BEFORE the invitation was an issue I should point out.
Exactly. Meghan found out early into her relationship with Harry that some of her relatives were at best indiscreet. She and Harry would not have liked every detail of their wedding receptions in the press- I am convinced that would have happened from some of them. Maybe she already had bad experiences with some of them-she’s not going to say that or what it was. Maybe some of them asked her for money or something else once she was successful in Suits. We can speculate til the cows come home but it is obvious there are strained relationships here. We cannot judge another’s family by our own.

Oh come off it, the royals are hardly paragons of virtue. If Harry had applied the same standards to them that some on this thread are implying that Meghan used to exclude her family then quite a few wouldn't have made the wedding list either. Sophie has blabbed to the press in the past and Fergie's list of indiscretions are limitless and they are not the only ones I could mention.

You mean Thomas' brother who also said she owed him to a newspaper who then retracted his comment and admitted that he just made a phone call to get her the application -- not the job? This brother also told the media where to find Thomas in Mexico.

That is my point. They all want to lay claim on her and then when pushed they admit what really happen.

People have their own personal family dynamics. You might think they look great from a distance but that is what people allow you to see. How many horror stories have folks heard that started with "They seemed like the perfect family?" More than we like to count.

If they weren't in her life prior to Harry why should they be in her life now? If anything Meghan is more cautious of allowing people in who she thinks will take advantage of her and her uncle selling personally pictures to a tabloid just proves she was right.

In the end she knows them better than you and so far nothing these folks have done proves Meghan was in the wrong.

Oh come off it, the royals are hardly paragons of virtue. If Harry had applied the same standards to them that some on this thread are implying that Meghan used to exclude her family then quite a few wouldn't have made the wedding list either. Sophie has blabbed to the press in the past and Fergie's list of indiscretions are limitless and they are not the only ones I could mention.

Well Harry has to interact with his family quite a bit. His position is very different. So even if he doesn't want to be in the same room with certain people it is his duty to smile and nod.

Meghan doesn't have to do that with her family. They were not in her life for over a decade and for some closer to two decades. Again why does she have to fake it because people are uncomfortable? It is her life. It he HER distant relative dynamics. This is like people who say she needs to forgive the Markles. WHY? Stop trying to force her to allow negative nonsense into her life.

Half these people were showing out before the wedding and then want to act surprised they got no invitation. This uncle selling personal pictures back in December 2017 doesn't get the right to act hurt when he picked money over her. His check should have been enough.

Last edited:
I'm going to say this and be done with this conversation.

Not everyone has "happy" families and just because some can look past things and move on, doesn't mean that others have to follow that same idea.

You talk, you're done. That's the way it is with me, and it seems like Meghan is the same way, with the exception of her father in the draw up to the wedding.

If she had invited some on the Ragland side (the ones that hadn't talk or sold pictures like this one), then the others would have been bleating from the roof top more than they are now. Same thing with the Markles. We know Sam and Jr. weren't ever going to be invited, but let's say good old uncle Joe Markle (I know that's not his name) got an invite, and Meghan's nieces and nephews (Sam and Jr. kids) didn't get invited because surely Sam and Jr. would have gone on a publicity rampage if their offsprings that they themselves have no contact with received and invite and they didn't. Then I think it would be even worse than what it is today. It would have caused even more divisiveness than there is today. We all know that some would have said that she is using some family members to spite the others, and so on and so forth. So when it came down to it, invite no one except mom and dad (and I strongly believe that had Sam and Jr. not shown their asses when the relationship was revealed, they MAY have gotten an invite-then again, I wouldn't take this bet). Invite no one except your parents, and no one can say that she's playing favourites.

If you weren't in her life for decades prior to this, you should understand why no invite. I mean, this is common sense and most people get this. I haven't seen or spoken to you in 10-20 years, why would I invite you to my wedding, when 10 years prior you didn't attend my first wedding. It would seem completely disingenuous for Meghan to invite them this time and not the first time (we know they weren't at her first wedding).

So now, I'm going to let Meghan deal with her "relatives" (because they surely aren't family and are just now blood relatives) as she sees fit. Just because you would handle the situation differently doesn't mean what she is doing is wrong. Different perspectives.

I've said this all along...what is with this idea that the family somehow has to measure up ...measure up to what? The BRF are not exactly paragons of virtue or great examples of family life.

People being what they are, are imperfect and often have messy lives or families....they should consider themselves fortunate any woman wants to marry into the BRF with all their history and that type of life.

LaRae

My little sister got married last year. She only invited some of our family members on our mother side of the family, but not on our father’s side of the family. Why? Well, she really didn’t feel like dealing with them because of past issues. If she could’ve gotten away with it, none of our family members would’ve been invited. She pretty much invited her friends and the rest was the grooms side of the family. Just a handful of our own.

There’s stuff that goes down in families that’s very complicated and we have to remember that we don’t know everything about Meghan’s family problems. It’s none of our business. Doria could have issues with her family, too.

We don’t know, but I have to ask what sort of info do people think they would have sold from a ceremony that was already broadcasted on TV?
She could have simply invited them to the ceremony but not the dinner party.

As someone said: the common thing among all this fall outs is Meghan. While some members may be problematic, it is just too much of a odd case all of them are!

And you know what? I do believe many of her fans claim she has millions to her name, Certainly she had enough to live comfortably and be able to travel back and forth from Canada to the UK.. so yea in her place I would offer to at least cover the hotel room for my family, maybe even the plane ticket.
She had people she never met before the wedding, probably never saw again. Harry had relatives and people on his side whom he barely has any contact with- hack he had two ex girlfriend (at least!).

I can understand losing contact if you’re a career driven person (which is something Meghan and myself have in common) but I would still never think not to invite my family to my wedding. At least invite! Again it’s a basic common courtesy of showing family members that while you may not be in touch you still care for them.

If this marriage ever ends, she will find out very quickly how important family is, because the royals will shut the door in her face and turn their backs on her faster than she can say “long live the queen/king”

I can understand losing contact if you’re a career driven person (which is something Meghan and myself have in common) but I would still never think not to invite my family to my wedding. At least invite! Again it’s a basic common courtesy of showing family members that while you may not be in touch you still care for them.

When my sister married she invited quite a lot of people she never saw, only because she was expected to. I really don’t see the point in doing that. If you don’t acknowledge my existence before the wedding, I don’t see why I should invite you. I’m completely done with people who only want to know you when it’s convenient. My sister is one of these. I haven’t seen her in 2 years. If I ever got married, I’m not sure I would invite her.

She had people she never met before the wedding, probably never saw again.

If this marriage ever ends, she will find out very quickly how important family is, because the royals will shut the door in her face and turn their backs on her faster than she can say “long live the queen/king”

I had people had my wedding I’d never met before-friends of my husband, friends of my in-laws, some of their relatives....

These relatives of Meghan’s were not “family” before the wedding so why would they be “family” in the future. Doria is “family.”

We don’t know, but I have to ask what sort of info do people think they would have sold from a ceremony that was already broadcasted on TV?

As someone said: the common thing among all this fall outs is Meghan. While some members may be problematic, it is just too much of a odd case all of them are!

And you know what? I do believe many of her fans claim she has millions to her name, Certainly she had enough to live comfortably and be able to travel back and forth from Canada to the UK.. so yea in her place I would offer to at least cover the hotel room for my family, maybe even the plane ticket.
She had people she never met before the wedding, probably never saw again. Harry had relatives and people on his side whom he barely has any contact with- hack he had two ex girlfriend (at least!).

The common thing isn't Meghan per se..it's her family. Look at the bigger picture.

Families are often messy at best ...very few folks have families without some sort of dysfunction. You just don't get to see it played out in public.

LaRae

You have a flaw in your assessment -- Meghan wasn't close to these people pre Harry. So why would she worry about them IF this marriage ended? Most these people admit she has not seen them in nearly 20 years.

Yes the common denominator is Meghan because she is the person they are all trying to cling to. Where were these people 5 years ago? Distant relatives coming out the woodwork is very common when someone gets something others want a piece of.

People should be mindful of comparing their family dynamics to others. It is great you would invite everyone under the sun. I would not. Meghan has not and honestly from what we have seen she made the right choice. We don't know these people. How can anyone tell someone how to deal with their family members?

And she is suppose to pay their expenses? That is a joke.

Uh, if you care about them, why wouldn’t you be in touch? :lol: Nothing says I don’t care about you than not being in touch for years. And really, such an invitation is rather odd. I can understand people inviting extended family they aren’t in touch with if their parents are still in touch with them. But in this case, that’s just not it. And it’s perfectly fine not to be close to extended family. Neither side is wrong for it. I just think it’s rich for them to complain about her for not inviting them when they really don’t seem to care for her or have her best interest at heart.

I doubt neither party would care much about each other had she not married into the BRF. And I would expect they’d go back to not have much interest in her if she’s no longer a member of BRF in this case. Who needs family like that around?

And as with most of us, just because you have money, doesn’t mean to have to spend it. Especially on people you haven’t had contact with in years and will sell you for a few bucks.

Last edited:

If this marriage does end, I believe Meghan would be fine, because the same people who were in her life before this relationship (her mother, her friends of over 20 years) would still be in her life, and that does not include distant relatives who were not in contact with her for decades.

The only anomaly in this whole thing is her father.

Except, both of these people have contact with Harry and his core family. Those people on Meghan’s side don’t. Neither of these people have acted hateful towards Harry just because he’s not in contact with them when it’s convenient for them. And really, Harry can decide how to do the invitations on his side and Meghan can with hers. They don’t have to have the same standard on that. In fact, Harry has cut out some members of his extended family, and I doubt it’s an personal sly against them.

Duke and Duchess of Sussex, General News 3: February 2019 -

The common thing isn't Meghan per se..it's her family. Look at the bigger picture.

Families are often messy at best ...very few folks have families without some sort of dysfunction. You just don't get to see it played out in public.

LaRae

Exactly.

Here’s another reason I can see Meghan not inviting certain relatives- the real possibility of an argument breaking out at the wedding or reception between various family members. We know many of them don’t get along with each other.

Before my grandmother’s funeral my dad was worried about a couple of family members who hadn’t been in a room together in nearly two decades. He was worried they’d get into a fight. Me and my rose colored glasses was sure that no way would either of them allow a fight to break out.

Well- it didn’t, but as it turned out- my dad was right to worry. I was told later, that if one of my relatives felt provoked- however she defined that- she’d have been perfectly fine with getting into an argument with said relative.... rather than simply walking away. I was appalled.

And that right there....is one reason why people think twice about relatives they invite: you know the potential for disruption exists. Who needs that stress.

Btw, this shaming of someone not inviting certain people to their wedding is odd. The invitations should only be extended to whomever the couple wants. And perhaps people footing the bill. End of.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom