Duke and Duchess of Sussex, General News 3: February - May 2019

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Although Kate had her own bumps on the road, I don't think her situation is at all comparable to Meghan's. Kate fit in surprisingly well, much better actually than Diana, who was a bit of a disaster despite her "superior" ancestry (I mean, compared to Kate's middle-class background).

Meghan is an outsider in ways that Kate or Camilla for that matter are not, so it's always going to be tougher for her. She could learn, however, from her sister-in-law and stepmother-in-law on how to keep a lower profile and be more discreet. A situation like the baby shower was perfectly avoidable.

I don't think it's possible for Meghan to keep a low profile, part of it is just based on who she is mixed-race, American. In addition Meghan became a full-time working royal the minute she and Harry got married and was expected to 'hit the ground running'; her first engagement was 3 days after her marriage. Kate had the luxury of easing into the role. Meghan has also already been assigned a couple of overseas tours the most recent one in Morocco attracted over 100 press/media (and from the reports I have seen almost half weren't British). She and Harry are strong relatable Ambassadors for the UK right now and it would be wise of the BRF and the UK to take advantage of that.

I've always understood that Serena Williams and Meghan met at Wimbledon in 2015, when Meghan was promoting Calvin Klein sportswear. I don't believe they were close friends before Meghan's engagement to Harry, though, which suggests a celebrity type friendship to me, though Serena was pretty generous re the baby shower. I've read that Meghan and Harry became friendly with the Clooneys by both couples being regular members of the Soho Club in London and in Oxfordshire and grew close because of that.

Sorry but, Megan did know Serna prior to harry. She was at Wimbledon back in 2015 or 2016 pulling for her. I think that I read somewhere that that may have been the 1st time that Megan & Harry met was in while she was in England to support Serna in the matches. Now Opera & Gail King came out of no where. It was a shame that Megan could not attend Serna's wedding.

I am glad that her friends have her back. During the last few months Megan deserves a Blowout Baby Shower by people who love her & support her. More Power to her:p

I don’t get media comments that the shower was over the top and it most likely didn’t cost as much as they say it did. It was held in a suite that Serena and her husband were already using (and provided the security she needed), the private plane (a manner in which many royals have traveled most recently the Wessexes and Yorks…and in the past the Cambridges) was already being used by Amal so there was no extra cost to have Meghan on board. The flowers they used at the shower were donated to local charities… something that royals promote on a daily basis.

As for Meghan’s relationships

Meghan and Serena had been friends before she met Harry; they apparently met in 2010 or somewhere in that time frame and not 2015. She was at Wimbledon cheering Serena on as a guest in 2016 before she Harry. She had also been to previous matches.

I don’t think it clear she was looking for celebrity-type friends. As some of her friends at the shower (and even wedding) weren’t/aren’t celebrities and were friends from college and her childhood. It was most likely that as she started working in on TV show many of the people she spent time with were in those circles and she connected with some of them.

As for how she was treated by them before she met Harry it isn’t known because the interest wasn’t as strong as it is now and not documented.

Thank you I stand corrected about when they actually met. But, it was before she met harry. Thing is that she has known Serna for a long time.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think it's possible for Meghan to keep a low profile, part of it is just based on who she is mixed-race, American. In addition Meghan became a full-time working royal the minute she and Harry got married and was expected to 'hit the ground running'; her first engagement was 3 days after her marriage. Kate had the luxury of easing into the role. Meghan has also already been assigned a couple of overseas tours the most recent one in Morocco attracted over 100 press/media (and from the reports I have seen almost half weren't British). She and Harry are strong relatable Ambassadors for the UK right now and it would be wise of the BRF and the UK to take advantage of that.

Meghan is quite the athlete too. She sure did hit the ground running but no one said anything about the obstacle course that would be laid out in front of her. All those hurdles and booby traps! I think she's doing just fine and if the "Firm" isn't complaining, neither will I.

Meghan is quite the athlete too. She sure did hit the ground running but no one said anything about the obstacle course that would be laid out in front of her. All those hurdles and booby traps! I think she's doing just fine and if the "Firm" isn't complaining, neither will I.

I think she's mostly doing fine, too. However, the truth is that we have absolutely zero idea if "the Firm" is complaining, or is 100% happy with how things are going. Whatever feedback Meghan is getting behind the scenes, we are never going to hear about it, and that's as it should be. We never heard any public complaints when other members of the royal family made mistakes, that's the way the BRF rolls.

Let’s move on from comparing Kate and Meghan. Also, this isn’t the thread to discuss Meghan’s role in the BRF, her engagement count, or Jessica Mulroney’s GMA contract. Let’s stay on topic, please.

Last edited:
:previous:

I never thought that we would one day rely on the Guardian and this paper's commentators as sources of the truth about the Royals.??:whistling::D:D

Which is part of the reason why many people to know what royal life is like, and those of us with a logic train of thought, kept saying that maybe they should have waited a couple more years before tying the knot - yes they’re in their 30’s but 2 years is nothing of a time to be honest, and those extra 2 years would have given time to come out if the honeymoon period. it really would have been a smarter idea had she relocated to the UK first (several visas she could have done that on), had been able to truly get to know the UK and date Harry while they were living in the same country, let alone same city and maybe even house, rather than jump straight in as a fiancé without plenty of time to do all that weeding and allow herself to take proper time to get a true feel of British, let alone royal, life.

I think being the turtle rather than the rabbit in this race would have benefited her, and IMO their relationship too, in the long run.

Sorry, but 36 is already considered advanced age for a pregnancy. Asking a couple who love one another want a family, and who are already well into their 30s, to wait an additional 2 years, so they can "be comfortable" is absurd, imo. So many women are already facing an inability to get pregnant at that point in time, no need to complicate it. They face life as a team, so they don't need a grace period.

Agreed.
I think that if she truly loves and respects Harry and his family and the way they do things, she will have to stop and take a hard look at the people she’s friends with, or at the very least how she goes about with the friendship - because right now she’s coming across as a major hypocrite to many people.
If she won’t be able to reign in her friends to keep her privacy even after the baby is born I have no doubt that the theory that the marriage won’t last will become a reality, perhaps even sooner than was theorized.

If she won’t I truly think that at some point (and I very much believe it will happen shortly after the baby arrives and Harry will discover the unconditional love that a parent has for their child and that it can very easily trump the love for a spouse) Harry will get tired and fed up with her friends talking and information leaking, and a tiny voice in his head will start asking questions about their joint futureand whether staying together is what is best for their child.

That’s just my point of view at this point.

I think it is kind of ridiculous to be already anticipating a divorce.:bang:

What exactly have any of her friends said that you think was inappropriate or indiscreet? Because I haven't seen anything.

Which is part of the reason why many people to know what royal life is like, and those of us with a logic train of thought, kept saying that maybe they should have waited a couple more years before tying the knot - yes they’re in their 30’s but 2 years is nothing of a time to be honest, and those extra 2 years would have given time to come out if the honeymoon period. it really would have been a smarter idea had she relocated to the UK first (several visas she could have done that on), had been able to truly get to know the UK and date Harry while they were living in the same country, let alone same city and maybe even house, rather than jump straight in as a fiancé without plenty of time to do all that weeding and allow herself to take proper time to get a true feel of British, let alone royal, life.

I think being the turtle rather than the rabbit in this race would have benefited her, and IMO their relationship too, in the long run.

On what basis would she have had gotten these visas .You can't get a visa to come to the UK and shack up with your boyfriend . You have to be a student,or be working - you cant get a visitors visa stay 6 months leave and come back in on another one straight away they would ban you from re - entering .

Sorry, but 36 is already considered advanced age for a pregnancy. Asking a couple who love one another want a family, and who are already well into their 30s, to wait an additional 2 years, so they can "be comfortable" is absurd, imo. So many women are already facing an inability to get pregnant at that point in time, no need to complicate it. They face life as a team, so they don't need a grace period.

I ageee...and I think they both knew right away they were committed and in it for the long haul, they knew it would take a year or so to tie up loose ends. By the time they got married they were ready for a baby. I said I don't know how long ago (dating/engagement era) it wouldn't surprise me to see an pregnancy announcement by the end of 2018...they just did it earlier than even I expected since they had the Australian Tour.

The idea they would get married and then wait 2 more years at their ages and life experience wasn't even reasonable IMO. As it is now they likely have time for another child before she hits 40 if they are trying to stay under that age for pregnancies.

LaRae

I ageee...and I think they both knew right away they were committed and in it for the long haul, they knew it would take a year or so to tie up loose ends. By the time they got married they were ready for a baby. I said I don't know how long ago (dating/engagement era) it wouldn't surprise me to see an pregnancy announcement by the end of 2018...they just did it earlier than even I expected since they had the Australian Tour.

The idea they would get married and then wait 2 more years at their ages and life experience wasn't even reasonable IMO. As it is now they likely have time for another child before she hits 40 if they are trying to stay under that age for pregnancies.

LaRae

She had a contract with NBCU that she had to see out

Right..that's the 'loose ends' I'm referring to.plus I'm sure Harry had to get things sorted out on his end as well.

LaRae

Two rational, sane and responsible human beings met and made a decision to join together for the rest of their lives and have a family. We know of these two human beings but there are none among us that can say they actually know these people and are really qualified to say what they should or should not have done. They're adults and capable of making their own decisions and that's what they've done.

We watched them date, we watched them get engaged and then we watched their wedding and within a few months, saw two happy faces as they announced the impeding birth of their first child. They've both stepped into the royal roles expected of them as if they've been doing it together since time began.

From where I sit, this is an extremely happy couple that not only care and love each other immensely but also have the same goals and expectations of where their future is taking them and embrace it. There have been pitfalls and traps and obstacles along the way but they have been and will handle those together as a team and, to me, that can only serve to make them stronger together than they ever were on their own.

When something is working, you smile and enjoy it instead of trying to fix something that ain't broke. :D

Two rational, sane and responsible human beings met and made a decision to join together for the rest of their lives and have a family. We know of these two human beings but there are none among us that can say they actually know these people and are really qualified to say what they should or should not have done. They're adults and capable of making their own decisions and that's what they've done.

We watched them date, we watched them get engaged and then we watched their wedding and within a few months, saw two happy faces as they announced the impeding birth of their first child. They've both stepped into the royal roles expected of them as if they've been doing it together since time began.

From where I sit, this is an extremely happy couple that not only care and love each other immensely but also have the same goals and expectations of where their future is taking them and embrace it. There have been pitfalls and traps and obstacles along the way but they have been and will handle those together as a team and, to me, that can only serve to make them stronger together than they ever were on their own.

When something is working, you smile and enjoy it instead of trying to fix something that ain't broke. :D

:previous: ?

Love Harry, love seeing him happy

Thank you so much, that is so true. Not to mention the FACT that having your 1st child at almost 40, and who know they could have had issued with getting pregnant at 1st( thank god they did not). Not to mention if they wanted more kids. what Wait until what 40, and then try for your 2nd and 3rd at 42 & 45:eek:

I think she's mostly doing fine, too. However, the truth is that we have absolutely zero idea if "the Firm" is complaining, or is 100% happy with how things are going. Whatever feedback Meghan is getting behind the scenes, we are never going to hear about it, and that's as it should be. We never heard any public complaints when other members of the royal family made mistakes, that's the way the BRF rolls.

Exactly this. And while we're never going to be told about it, I suspect that behind the scenes there's pushback already, or will be, about her friends being so open with the media, companies not being made to sign NDAs and therefore allowed to name drop her, etc. The one thing the British royal family doesn't do is to allow themselves to be surrounded by indiscrete people who would sell them out or speak to the media about them. And while I, along with many others, suspect that Meghan gave her consent to the story from People with five of her friends speaking out, I highly doubt that she consented to the comments being made to publications about her shower, what they did and how much it was exactly what she needed, etc. and I would imagine that she'll see a strong urging from the family about the need to choose her friends carefully, cut out those that are indiscrete, etc.

In the famous words: Good Morning, Good Afternoon & Good Night. That is all that needs to be said. ??

Exactly this. And while we're never going to be told about it, I suspect that behind the scenes there's pushback already, or will be, about her friends being so open with the media, companies not being made to sign NDAs and therefore allowed to name drop her, etc. The one thing the British royal family doesn't do is to allow themselves to be surrounded by indiscrete people who would sell them out or speak to the media about them. And while I, along with many others, suspect that Meghan gave her consent to the story from People with five of her friends speaking out, I highly doubt that she consented to the comments being made to publications about her shower, what they did and how much it was exactly what she needed, etc. and I would imagine that she'll see a strong urging from the family about the need to choose her friends carefully, cut out those that are indiscrete, etc.

Well said!

Very well said, and I completely agree.

It's wild to me to see so open speculation of divorce here. And it's based on no facts at all, just mere, and very negative speculation.

So her friends can talk to the press and divulge private information, private companies can advertise on their social media that they took part in the shower (why was there no privacy clause signed?!?).. but her dad gets crucified and shunned for doing the exact same thing. (And no her dad never said a single bad word about her- all his interviews were practically gushing what a wonderful person she is- the only difference in crime is that he gave those interviews to the Daily Mail and GMB rather than people)

Once again, optics and perception.

https://people.com/royals/meghan-markle-baby-shower-nyc-wedding-reunion-friends/

Her dad actually said, that Meghan would be nothing without him, how her horrible attitude is from her mother, how Meghan should've treated Samantha better, Samantha and her one sided hate campaign are Meghan's fault. He told details about her previous marriage, how she allegedly served drugs at that wedding. He also asked her for money for his loyalty. He's been telling lies about Meghan in shocking amount of 26 interviews, so far, I think.

So no, comparing Meghan's friends, who have done nothing but support her, to her dad isn't correct.

Having said all that, I think, Meghan as an adult woman should be allowed to decide for herself who she wants in her life and who not. Imho it's not upto strangers who don't know them or their relationship, to decide on. Jmho.

Exactly which friends need to be dropped because they were indiscreet? I’ve seen a few directly attributed remarks that were fairly innocuous. That isn’t selling her out. The rest of the shower stories seem to be more (speculative) sensationalism than accurate reporting.

I just wanted to quickly say I appreciate the mods taking thr forum at hand and sorting things out. I frequently read but rarely even bother to log in because of the way it's been.

I agree with you Osipi, you put it very well.

I have been wondering since all the negativity and where the out of control, ott media behaviour has originated, and why, since Harry had to step in with his statement. I'm in Australia so I don't know whose who in the UK media. It just seems to me that there is at least a small group of media who really have the knives out but why? Not talking about race, nationality etc. That's just dog whistling. What I'm talking about is why go so hard when that just means the royal family will never give them any kind of exclusive etc. Do they know they've burnt the bridge and are just going hell for leather into Megan as payback?

Just seems this level of negativity is counterintuitive to me and it makes me think there must have been something gone on we don't know about.

Just seems this level of negativity is counterintuitive to me and it makes me think there must have been something gone on we don't know about.

Perhaps its what has gone on that they *don't* know about. People came to know that Harry and Meghan were seriously dating but we never saw them out and about and they were very elusive. Its pretty much remained that way since too unless Harry and Meghan were out and among the people in their public roles.

"No signs of Harry or Meghan anywhere" doesn't sell and feed information that many make their living doing. The negativity, IMO, is giving Harry and Meghan just cause to avoid them like the plague unless they're "on the job" so to speak and I don't blame them. Hopefully things will reach a balance in the future? One can hope.

You are right I think, but I feel there is more to it though. All the other royals have gone under the radar over the years for various reasons. The sheer magnitude of the sustained attacks (for want of a better word) and constant negative spin is just out of proportion this time I believe.

As you say though, maybe one day things will settle down. I think there was a turning point for William and Kate when they sued the French (?) media. Maybe it will take something like that to end the juggarnaut.

I think that the British tabloids really got its collective gander up about Harry's statement re press harassment way back in November 2016. Of course he complained about online trolls as well, let's not forget that bunch, but it was pretty clear that it was the British tabloids that he was having a go at.

Whereupon those rags fell back into plaintive wide-eyed 'What, us? Why?' mode, and their editors thought 'OK! Going to play those games Harry? Just you wait, you ain't seen nothing yet!' Unfortunately for them Harry remains a very popular Royal, a favourite in Britain, so the knives couldnt be out overtly for him. But they could for his foreigner wife. And, let's face it Meghan's half-sister provided plenty of copy to begin with!

I think the tabloids perhaps expected a huge fail by a nervous young woman on the Pacific tour. When that didn't happen they waited until they all arrived back and decided to put 'Princess Uppity-Boots' back in her box. The rumours about Duchess Difficult began with one remark about the wedding tiara by Robert Jobson, others about feuds rapidly followed and were embroidered on and continued through November/December 2018 and into the New Year.

And let's not forget, negative press about someone sells newspapers and is entertaining. These stories are mainly Clickbait, but they are successful Clickbait.
I don't know what they're going to do during Meghan's maternity leave, but there's always Samantha's book about her half-sister, and egregious stuff about the new baby and the way it's going to be reared!

Last edited:
Good point about targetting Meghan rather than Harry, Curryong. Of course you are also right about Samantha being the gift that keeps on giving.

Perhaps it's just a perfect storm, a simple confluence of factors that have played out, or been played, as negative commentary and stories. I still feel that this goes deeper though. Perhaps I watch too many whodunnits. :) I would like to see all the suspects gathered in the library where we could all watch the final reveal of who is it the tabloid media (or elsewhere) who is pulling all the strings! On a serious note though, it is actually disturbing to see. Who else could they turn on next? Someone without the money and support of the Britsh Royals behind them. Just how much damage are some prepared to do to get their 6hrs worth of clickbait.

I'm not sure if all my talk about media is off topic but it's just so pervasive it's kinda hard to find something that isn't connected to it in some way.

Prince Harry just better had chosen a countryside lady with a discreet family who loves to be low profile. He himself, already a media magnet, married another media magnet with a dysfunctional family even. Do we ever, ever hear about the Donaldson family? About the Westling family? About the Hellqvist family? About the De Lannoy family? No: no one knows them and no any of them has the urge to blabbermouth. By the way: the same counts for former butlers, secretaries, dressers to British royals. What happened with discretion? Do they not know that silence is golden? All those Paul Burrells, Patrick Jephsons, Dickie Arbiters and the likes: blab-blab-blab in media.

I hope for the Sussexes the negative tide turns, but I have little expectation. Look at Marie-Christine of Kent: once a foreigner and a Princess Pushy, always a foreigner and a Princess Pushy for the tabloids.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom