The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-28-2019, 09:58 AM
Aristocracy

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighGoalHighDreams View Post
Now that the threads have calmed down/ cleaned up, I am enjoying the opportunity to participate on topics I haven't in the past due to the infighting and circles. I hope others are too, and am enjoying their thoughts.
Same here, I have been peeking in OMG.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmirerUS View Post
OR...
She is confident enough to trust her own and Harry's judgement on what is proper. Honestly, sometimes it seems like we think it is a GOOD thing that the UK establishment acts like a bunch of high school girls to enforce highly dated rules of proper dress.
We have heard all this before especially with the height of Kate's skirts. I don't want to get off on a fashion discussion but Meg is just not doing anything that crazy that we need the smelling salts.
Why is it that we complain when the royal men are rumpled or not flashing enough cuff, but we shame women's judgement for different fashion choices. It's sexist and ridiculous.
Sorry - had to let that out.
BRAVO,

Old 02-28-2019, 10:27 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post
My two cents is that she's still learning, made some mistakes but some pretty successes too. She's a princess in progress (just like Kate some years ago, and look how confident she's now !), and i do think she'll find some good, and universal, recognition in the future.

Although Kate had her own bumps on the road, I don't think her situation is at all comparable to Meghan's. Kate fit in surprisingly well, much better actually than Diana, who was a bit of a disaster despite her "superior" ancestry (I mean, compared to Kate's middle-class background).

Meghan is an outsider in ways that Kate or Camilla for that matter are not, so it's always going to be tougher for her. She could learn, however, from her sister-in-law and stepmother-in-law on how to keep a lower profile and be more discreet. A situation like the baby shower was perfectly avoidable.

Old 02-28-2019, 10:59 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
Although Kate had her own bumps on the road, I don't think her situation is at all comparable to Meghan's. Kate fit in surprisingly well, much better actually than Diana, who was a bit of a disaster despite her "superior" ancestry (I mean, compared to Kate's middle-class background).

Meghan is an outsider in ways that Kate or Camilla for that matter are not, so it's always going to be tougher for her. She could learn, however, from her sister-in-law and stepmother-in-law on how to keep a lower profile and be more discreet. A situation like the baby shower was perfectly avoidable.
I think the major advantage in terms of friends that Kate and Camilla had that Meghan did not is that they both had years to weed out the indiscreet, the disloyal and the people who were just looking for fame before they got married. Meghan hasn't really had much time to figure out how this whole friend thing works when you're a member of the royal family, but I have no doubt that she will.
Old 02-28-2019, 11:29 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ista View Post
I think the major advantage in terms of friends that Kate and Camilla had that Meghan did not is that they both had years to weed out the indiscreet, the disloyal and the people who were just looking for fame before they got married. Meghan hasn't really had much time to figure out how this whole friend thing works when you're a member of the royal family, but I have no doubt that she will.
Which is part of the reason why many people to know what royal life is like, and those of us with a logic train of thought, kept saying that maybe they should have waited a couple more years before tying the knot - yes they’re in their 30’s but 2 years is nothing of a time to be honest, and those extra 2 years would have given time to come out if the honeymoon period. it really would have been a smarter idea had she relocated to the UK first (several visas she could have done that on), had been able to truly get to know the UK and date Harry while they were living in the same country, let alone same city and maybe even house, rather than jump straight in as a fiancé without plenty of time to do all that weeding and allow herself to take proper time to get a true feel of British, let alone royal, life.

I think being the turtle rather than the rabbit in this race would have benefited her, and IMO their relationship too, in the long run.
Old 02-28-2019, 11:36 AM
Nobility

I for am glad she knows she has a small group of very close supportive friends she can rely on. She’s American, she’s allowed to visit her homeland every now & then to see trusted close family & friends - and for some respite away from the cruel atmosphere of smear campaigns and backstabbings from within, here in UK. She works her socks off supporting her loving husband representing the queen and helping present the monarchy in a more favourable light to UK communities and many Nations within the commonwealth.
Old 02-28-2019, 12:02 PM
Imperial Majesty

Very interesting read. Although, I don’t agree with the commentary on the DoC. Won’t get into that part on this thread though. Not wise!

The Silencing of Meghan-
https://www.newstatesman.com/politic...ussex-princess

A.W. TOZER
Old 02-28-2019, 12:11 PM
Majesty

Meghan was contracted to Suits for the seven years she worked on the show. She could hardly have jumped on a plane to live elsewhere and broken her contract. And what visa could she have applied for during the two years or so she would be waiting around? Hardly a fiancée visa if she wasn't engaged. And all to wait until she was 38!

And nobody knows what Royal life is like until they are in it. Camilla had hiccups when she first married. So did Kate. No-one said it was easy. However, Meghan joined Harry on an extremely successful long Pacific tour last October. Anyone would think she has been stumbling from disaster to disaster when performing her engagements! Over 100 in 2018 btw.
Old 02-28-2019, 12:16 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humbugged View Post
Another made up story .

So made up in fact that 2 days after the story came out GMA extended her contract by a year .
If that is verifiable then good on GMA and the Company for respecting the terms of her contract. It shows a corporate level of integrity not often found in this somewhat dog eat dog world.

Conversely, it also shows the intricacy of the fake Royal News machine. The story I watched on TV was well put together and the reporting itself low key and not the obvious FAKE NEWS.

Someone is spending an awful lot of time, money and expertise to show Meghan in a very bad light. You cannot help but wonder what the endgame is given the sheer volume of this stuff.

That's not to say that a few RR's weren't more than a little put out on their own account for missing a scoop. But hidden in the avalanche of dross it is East to be mislead.
Old 02-28-2019, 12:18 PM
Nobility

Meghan and Kate were never going to have the same experience, that was clear from the beginning. All one needs to do is look back 15 years in the past, to see what lives these drastically different women lived and what choices they made that shaped who they were and are. These are two fundamentally different women, in fundamentally different situations, joining the family with fundamentally different levels of life experience, achievements and personal history.

One makes a wonderful Consort-to-be for William, the other a wonderful Duchess for Harry.

Yes, it is quite a shame that Meghan's and Harry's paths have not crossed earlier - I am sure she would have greatly appreciated a low key life in her newly wed phase. Maybe then she would have even been deemed worthy of a 'grace period' to acclimate to her new life - would have been quite lovely, yes. Alas, it wasn't so - and maybe it was just right for them anyway.

So yes, despite facing a strikingly (and at times shamefully) different start to her royal life, Meghan learns, adepts, engages and takes initiative.
Those who see the death of the monarchy in everything she does would likely not have been content with Harry's choice of bride either way. (& To presume that the majority are in this camp is actually quite a bit removed from reality.)

Who knows - maybe, some people will learn to adept too. That there is not only one singular way of doing things and that different people have different contexts, which yield different situations.
Old 02-28-2019, 12:26 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Very interesting read. Although, I don’t agree with the commentary on the DoC. Won’t get into that part on this thread though. Not wise!

The Silencing of Meghan-
https://www.newstatesman.com/politic...ussex-princess
It looks like an excessively long piece that, nevertheless, doesn’t make any coherent point in the end.

I also disagree with the opening premise that Meghan was supposed to be “ the face of a modernized monarchy”. As a member of a collateral branch of the Royal Family, it is not up to her to define the “ future face” of the monarchy.
Old 02-28-2019, 01:10 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post

I don't think it's possible for Meghan to keep a low profile, part of it is just based on who she is mixed-race, American. In addition Meghan became a full-time working royal the minute she and Harry got married and was expected to 'hit the ground running'; her first engagement was 3 days after her marriage. Kate had the luxury of easing into the role. Meghan has also already been assigned a couple of overseas tours the most recent one in Morocco attracted over 100 press/media (and from the reports I have seen almost half weren't British). She and Harry are strong relatable Ambassadors for the UK right now and it would be wise of the BRF and the UK to take advantage of that.
Old 02-28-2019, 01:26 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
I've always understood that Serena Williams and Meghan met at Wimbledon in 2015, when Meghan was promoting Calvin Klein sportswear. I don't believe they were close friends before Meghan's engagement to Harry, though, which suggests a celebrity type friendship to me, though Serena was pretty generous re the baby shower. I've read that Meghan and Harry became friendly with the Clooneys by both couples being regular members of the Soho Club in London and in Oxfordshire and grew close because of that.
Sorry but, Megan did know Serna prior to harry. She was at Wimbledon back in 2015 or 2016 pulling for her. I think that I read somewhere that that may have been the 1st time that Megan & Harry met was in while she was in England to support Serna in the matches. Now Opera & Gail King came out of no where. It was a shame that Megan could not attend Serna's wedding.

I am glad that her friends have her back. During the last few months Megan deserves a Blowout Baby Shower by people who love her & support her. More Power to her

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaiSoSo View Post
I don’t get media comments that the shower was over the top and it most likely didn’t cost as much as they say it did. It was held in a suite that Serena and her husband were already using (and provided the security she needed), the private plane (a manner in which many royals have traveled most recently the Wessexes and Yorks…and in the past the Cambridges) was already being used by Amal so there was no extra cost to have Meghan on board. The flowers they used at the shower were donated to local charities… something that royals promote on a daily basis.

As for Meghan’s relationships

Meghan and Serena had been friends before she met Harry; they apparently met in 2010 or somewhere in that time frame and not 2015. She was at Wimbledon cheering Serena on as a guest in 2016 before she Harry. She had also been to previous matches.

I don’t think it clear she was looking for celebrity-type friends. As some of her friends at the shower (and even wedding) weren’t/aren’t celebrities and were friends from college and her childhood. It was most likely that as she started working in on TV show many of the people she spent time with were in those circles and she connected with some of them.

As for how she was treated by them before she met Harry it isn’t known because the interest wasn’t as strong as it is now and not documented.
Thank you I stand corrected about when they actually met. But, it was before she met harry. Thing is that she has known Serna for a long time.
Old 02-28-2019, 01:31 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaiSoSo View Post
I don't think it's possible for Meghan to keep a low profile, part of it is just based on who she is mixed-race, American. In addition Meghan became a full-time working royal the minute she and Harry got married and was expected to 'hit the ground running'; her first engagement was 3 days after her marriage. Kate had the luxury of easing into the role. Meghan has also already been assigned a couple of overseas tours the most recent one in Morocco attracted over 100 press/media (and from the reports I have seen almost half weren't British). She and Harry are strong relatable Ambassadors for the UK right now and it would be wise of the BRF and the UK to take advantage of that.
Meghan is quite the athlete too. She sure did hit the ground running but no one said anything about the obstacle course that would be laid out in front of her. All those hurdles and booby traps! I think she's doing just fine and if the "Firm" isn't complaining, neither will I.
No law can be sacred to me but that of my nature. Good and bad are but names very readily transferable to that or this; the only right is what is after my constitution, the only wrong what is against it.

~~~Ralph Waldo Emerson~~~
Old 02-28-2019, 02:15 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Meghan is quite the athlete too. She sure did hit the ground running but no one said anything about the obstacle course that would be laid out in front of her. All those hurdles and booby traps! I think she's doing just fine and if the "Firm" isn't complaining, neither will I.
I think she's mostly doing fine, too. However, the truth is that we have absolutely zero idea if "the Firm" is complaining, or is 100% happy with how things are going. Whatever feedback Meghan is getting behind the scenes, we are never going to hear about it, and that's as it should be. We never heard any public complaints when other members of the royal family made mistakes, that's the way the BRF rolls.
Old 02-28-2019, 02:18 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

Let’s move on from comparing Kate and Meghan. Also, this isn’t the thread to discuss Meghan’s role in the BRF, her engagement count, or Jessica Mulroney’s GMA contract. Let’s stay on topic, please.
Old 02-28-2019, 02:58 PM
Courtier

Marina Hyde in The Guardian is amusing here:
"Equerries, butlers, spiritual healers … Princess Diana’s former employees have been busy offering their unique ‘advice’ to the Duchess of Sussex."
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeands...ounding-meghan
Old 02-28-2019, 06:54 PM
Heir Presumptive

I never thought that we would one day rely on the Guardian and this paper's commentators as sources of the truth about the Royals.
Old 02-28-2019, 07:54 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolvingdoors View Post
Which is part of the reason why many people to know what royal life is like, and those of us with a logic train of thought, kept saying that maybe they should have waited a couple more years before tying the knot - yes they’re in their 30’s but 2 years is nothing of a time to be honest, and those extra 2 years would have given time to come out if the honeymoon period. it really would have been a smarter idea had she relocated to the UK first (several visas she could have done that on), had been able to truly get to know the UK and date Harry while they were living in the same country, let alone same city and maybe even house, rather than jump straight in as a fiancé without plenty of time to do all that weeding and allow herself to take proper time to get a true feel of British, let alone royal, life.

I think being the turtle rather than the rabbit in this race would have benefited her, and IMO their relationship too, in the long run.
Sorry, but 36 is already considered advanced age for a pregnancy. Asking a couple who love one another want a family, and who are already well into their 30s, to wait an additional 2 years, so they can "be comfortable" is absurd, imo. So many women are already facing an inability to get pregnant at that point in time, no need to complicate it. They face life as a team, so they don't need a grace period.

Be a good person.
Old 02-28-2019, 08:05 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Agreed.
I think that if she truly loves and respects Harry and his family and the way they do things, she will have to stop and take a hard look at the people she’s friends with, or at the very least how she goes about with the friendship - because right now she’s coming across as a major hypocrite to many people.
If she won’t be able to reign in her friends to keep her privacy even after the baby is born I have no doubt that the theory that the marriage won’t last will become a reality, perhaps even sooner than was theorized.

If she won’t I truly think that at some point (and I very much believe it will happen shortly after the baby arrives and Harry will discover the unconditional love that a parent has for their child and that it can very easily trump the love for a spouse) Harry will get tired and fed up with her friends talking and information leaking, and a tiny voice in his head will start asking questions about their joint futureand whether staying together is what is best for their child.

That’s just my point of view at this point.
I think it is kind of ridiculous to be already anticipating a divorce.

What exactly have any of her friends said that you think was inappropriate or indiscreet? Because I haven't seen anything.
Old 02-28-2019, 09:04 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:

On what basis would she have had gotten these visas .You can't get a visa to come to the UK and shack up with your boyfriend . You have to be a student,or be working - you cant get a visitors visa stay 6 months leave and come back in on another one straight away they would ban you from re - entering .

Closed Thread

Tags
duchess of sussex, duke of sussex, general news, meghan markle, prince harry