The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #61  
Old 02-27-2019, 07:58 PM
HighGoalHighDreams's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Unspecified, United States
Posts: 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fijiro View Post
Are we still talking about the shower?
That is so yesterday.
Now that the threads have calmed down/ cleaned up, I am enjoying the opportunity to participate on topics I haven't in the past due to the infighting and circles. I hope others are too, and am enjoying their thoughts.
__________________

  #62  
Old 02-27-2019, 08:05 PM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 6,780
According to this, Meghan wrote on The Tig that she and Serena met in 2014.

https://www.cheatsheet.com/entertain...iendship.html/
__________________

  #63  
Old 02-27-2019, 08:39 PM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Waterford, United States
Posts: 2,523
I would keep in mind that most of us have a circle of work and university friends, and we socialize with them until we get married and move away and have babies.

Then we have a different circle of friends at our new location, and we very rarely see the old gang. This is what is happening to Meghan; you have to have friends who live somewhat nearby.

The baby shower will probably be the last hurrah for the group who attended the shower. It will be interesting to see who her new besties will be (probably not Piers Morgan).
__________________
"If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will.”

Abraham Lincoln
  #64  
Old 02-27-2019, 11:21 PM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Paris, France
Posts: 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
I suppose people who work in show business are often networking. Many of Meghan's pals at the shower were actresses she's met over the years. A couple were in Suits. There were friends from her days at NorthWestern.

I've always understood that Serena Williams and Meghan met at Wimbledon in 2015, when Meghan was promoting Calvin Klein sportswear. I don't believe they were close friends before Meghan's engagement to Harry, though, which suggests a celebrity type friendship to me, though Serena was pretty generous re the baby shower. I've read that Meghan and Harry became friendly with the Clooneys by both couples being regular members of the Soho Club in London and in Oxfordshire and grew close because of that.

AFAIK Meghan and Jessica Mulroney met after Meghan settled in Toronto and was working in Suits. They bonded over a love of fashion. I really don't know what the Oprah/Gayle King connection is except that Oprah and Doria attend the same church in LA and I have a strong suspicion that Oprah would really really like an interview with Mum!
This is totally untrue, however many times it is repeated. They met in Miami Florida in 2010 at a Superbowl XLIV VIP party, Serena Williams said it herself during an interview at the Australian Open, and their friendship started to develop from this point. They are pictures of them together again at the Superbowl XLVIII, which took place in New York City in 2014 (precisely The Metlife Stadium in New Jersey). They were taken after they both took part in a flag football match at DirectTV’s Celebrity Beach Bowl, playing on the same team. So basically at time of the wedding they had know each other for 8 years.

I am having trouble understanding why her friendships are being scrutinized and vetted this way?
At Eugenie's Wedding, Demi Moore, Naomi Campbell, Robbie Williams were seated in the Quire. These people are showbiz as it can be. Yet the same questions are not asked. Ed Shareen; the singer, during a Graham Norton show told the story of being cut in the face with a sword by one of the princesses (Beatrice or Eugenie) when they were playing Queen and wanted to knight James Blunt; the singer, at a Party. Actress Margot Robbie talks about finding herself at the housewarming party of top model Suki Waterhouse with Prince Harry. Incidentally she did not even recognize him. There is a photo-booth picture of many guests at this event, Prince Harry and Princess Eugenie can be recognized on the said picture. My point is Royals mingle with celebrities. At least as far as Meghan is concerned, she is coming from this field.
  #65  
Old 02-28-2019, 12:05 AM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 6,780
Yes, she is, and I do happen to like Meghan a lot. I'm not denying that royals and celebrities mix. We know they do. What prevents me from believing that Serena and Meghan were great friends before Meghan's engagement to Harry is the fact that while they may have met before, in Florida in 2010 and at the Super Bowl in 2014, then at Wimbledon, there are no photos of them socialising together on other occasions, and Meghan did not attend Serena's Hen do nor her wedding. I don't know if Serena had a baby shower but I don't think Meghan was there either. Their friendship, on the other hand, may have deepened lately.

And that's fine. There are all sorts of friendships between people of various depths and shallowness, and it doesn't matter. Some friends are besties and see each other every day, some people see each other only occasionally. And in the high flying celebrity world the latter is more common, (due to scheduling.)
  #66  
Old 02-28-2019, 12:12 AM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Paris, France
Posts: 248

If one believes in the Effet Papillon (Butterfly effect), it could be argued that it is Serena who is at he origin of Meghan and Harry meeting. Meghan was in London in 2016 to watch Serena play at Wimbledon. It was during this visit that the famous blind date was arranged by their mutual friend they talked about in the engagement interview and the rest is history.
  #67  
Old 02-28-2019, 12:18 AM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 6,780
I thought that mutual friend was supposedly Misha Nonoo, once married to an Old Etonian who knew Will and Harry. I don't think Serena knew Harry. Others have been mentioned as Cupid as well.
  #68  
Old 02-28-2019, 12:22 AM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Paris, France
Posts: 248
I did not say Serena knew Harry and played cupid. I said that Meghan was in London to watch Serena play. If she were not friend with Serena, she maybe would not have come to London, and the opportunity of the blind date to happen would have never been there, and they might have never met
  #69  
Old 02-28-2019, 12:29 AM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 6,780
Oh, gotcha!
  #70  
Old 02-28-2019, 12:59 AM
Countessmeout's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: alberta, Canada
Posts: 10,420
I have never seen any suggestion Serena played matchmaker for them. There is really no connection to be had between Harry and Serena. To say Serena was the reason would be to suggest they met randomly through Wimbledon, and were not set up.

There were three main contenders, though one was eliminated when it was revealed it was a woman. Three who have an actual connection to both of the couple. The one eliminated was of course Marcus Anderson.

That left:

Misha's ex husband Alex Gilkes was an Eton friend of Harry. He owns Paddle 8, the company Eugenie worked for in NY for a time. Her and Meghan been friends for years, and even vacationed together with Marcus.

and

Violet von westenholtz who seems the more commonly accepted one now. Her father, an Olympic skier, is friends with Prince Charles. Violet often went skiing with the princes as a teen. She met Meghan as a stylist, as she was working in PR for Ralph Lauren.
  #71  
Old 02-28-2019, 01:40 AM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 255
IIRC Serena herself actually gave a quote or was quoted as saying they'd known each other for years but grew closer when they were two of the most famous WOC in the world in inter racial relationships. That makes sense if true.

I actually think the dynamic must be fascinating. Meghan had a lot of friends/acquaintances who were much more famous than her and suddenly, Boom! Interesting to navigate.
  #72  
Old 02-28-2019, 02:07 AM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: England, United Kingdom
Posts: 706
I think it's entirely possible that Meghan's existing friendships with some famous women were strengthened when she herself started to become famous. Those women might have helped her emotionally & practically to deal with the issues that come with fame. If they did (& they surely did), the relationships would become stronger & they probably felt more protective of her as she faced the onslaught of press coverage.
  #73  
Old 02-28-2019, 02:09 AM
Osipi's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 13,820
My honest opinion is that over the years, Meghan has amassed a pretty nice circle of friends that she still keeps as close friends. Fame, fortune and "celebrity" and situations in life change sometimes even on a dime yet the friendships persevere. She's also added another wide circle of friends since her relationship with Harry began.

Her situation in life has changed dramatically over the past three years but Meghan, herself, is still the same person. Reminds me of the old Girl Scout song "Make new friends, but keep the old. One is silver and the others gold."
__________________
No law can be sacred to me but that of my nature. Good and bad are but names very readily transferable to that or this; the only right is what is after my constitution, the only wrong what is against it.

~~~Ralph Waldo Emerson~~~
  #74  
Old 02-28-2019, 03:30 AM
MARG's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand
Posts: 8,921
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilyflo View Post
I think it's entirely possible that Meghan's existing friendships with some famous women were strengthened when she herself started to become famous. Those women might have helped her emotionally & practically to deal with the issues that come with fame. If they did (& they surely did), the relationships would become stronger & they probably felt more protective of her as she faced the onslaught of press coverage.
Well all power to Meghan for choosing her friends carefully, yet I do not understand those that assert the only reason they are her friends is because of Harry as if Meghan herself is worthless. It is an ugly mindset.

A wonderful mindset was that of Jessica when she took a job as a fashion guru on GMA. She was totally up front that her friendship with Meghan was personal and totally off limits. Needless to say, when they found out that not only was Meghan in NY but that she was one of the women organising her Baby Shower they were quite ugly about someone "who was supposed to be a member of their team keeping them in the dark".

The real kicker was the statement that they only offered her the job because she was Meghan's BFF and the caveat came back to bite them. I will not be surprised if the calls for her to be fired are successful. Needless to say, since she was totally upfront about the situation I think they thought everyone can be brought and that she would betray her friend for this gig and were truly quite shocked that she did not.
__________________
MARG
"Words ought to be a little wild, for they are assaults of thoughts on the unthinking." - JM Keynes
  #75  
Old 02-28-2019, 04:36 AM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: alpine village, Germany
Posts: 2,323
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
According to this, Meghan wrote on The Tig that she and Serena met in 2014.

https://www.cheatsheet.com/entertain...iendship.html/

What a cute story! And it can happen that way. Maybe we get to see a little princess Serena soon?
  #76  
Old 02-28-2019, 05:42 AM
Gentry
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Hamilton, United Kingdom
Posts: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
Well all power to Meghan for choosing her friends carefully, yet I do not understand those that assert the only reason they are her friends is because of Harry as if Meghan herself is worthless. It is an ugly mindset.

A wonderful mindset was that of Jessica when she took a job as a fashion guru on GMA. She was totally up front that her friendship with Meghan was personal and totally off limits. Needless to say, when they found out that not only was Meghan in NY but that she was one of the women organising her Baby Shower they were quite ugly about someone "who was supposed to be a member of their team keeping them in the dark".

The real kicker was the statement that they only offered her the job because she was Meghan's BFF and the caveat came back to bite them. I will not be surprised if the calls for her to be fired are successful. Needless to say, since she was totally upfront about the situation I think they thought everyone can be brought and that she would betray her friend for this gig and were truly quite shocked that she did not.

Another made up story .



So made up in fact that 2 days after the story came out GMA extended her contract by a year .
  #77  
Old 02-28-2019, 07:37 AM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Oakland, United States
Posts: 229
So her friends can talk to the press and divulge private information, private companies can advertise on their social media that they took part in the shower (why was there no privacy clause signed?!?).. but her dad gets crucified and shunned for doing the exact same thing. (And no her dad never said a single bad word about her- all his interviews were practically gushing what a wonderful person she is- the only difference in crime is that he gave those interviews to the Daily Mail and GMB rather than people)

Once again, optics and perception.

https://people.com/royals/meghan-mar...union-friends/
  #78  
Old 02-28-2019, 07:47 AM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 3,096
Her father flat out lied about a number of things. And was paid to do so.
  #79  
Old 02-28-2019, 07:51 AM
Ista's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: the West, United States
Posts: 1,861
Quote:
Originally Posted by evolvingdoors View Post
So her friends can talk to the press and divulge private information, private companies can advertise on their social media that they took part in the shower (why was there no privacy clause signed?!?).. but her dad gets crucified and shunned for doing the exact same thing. (And no her dad never said a single bad word about her- all his interviews were practically gushing what a wonderful person she is- the only difference in crime is that he gave those interviews to the Daily Mail and GMB rather than people)

Once again, optics and perception.

https://people.com/royals/meghan-mar...union-friends/
I don't think it's the same thing, but on the other hand, it's the problem that crops up when "friends," and I use the term loosely, feel free to give interviews to the press about things like details about a private party, that really are no one's business. There would be much less criticism and discussion about the shower if it had been held somewhere more private than the middle of Manhattan, minus a red carpet entrance from the guests, and if some of the attendees had resisted the temptation to give out details to the press. This is the kind of thing that causes royals to cull their friendship lists, and is also why you very seldom hear inside details of parties given for or attended by the inside friend groups of the BRF. It may be time for Meghan to take a hard look at who she is including in the inner circle, and keep those who have shown they can be discreet, and allow others who are in it to polish their own status to fade away.

I'm also going to add, that this is exactly the problem when you give permission for friends to speak to the press (George Clooney et. al) because then the line becomes blurred on what is and isn't ok to say, and you lose control of the narrative.
  #80  
Old 02-28-2019, 08:53 AM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Oakland, United States
Posts: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ista View Post
I don't think it's the same thing, but on the other hand, it's the problem that crops up when "friends," and I use the term loosely, feel free to give interviews to the press about things like details about a private party, that really are no one's business. There would be much less criticism and discussion about the shower if it had been held somewhere more private than the middle of Manhattan, minus a red carpet entrance from the guests, and if some of the attendees had resisted the temptation to give out details to the press. This is the kind of thing that causes royals to cull their friendship lists, and is also why you very seldom hear inside details of parties given for or attended by the inside friend groups of the BRF. It may be time for Meghan to take a hard look at who she is including in the inner circle, and keep those who have shown they can be discreet, and allow others who are in it to polish their own status to fade away.

I'm also going to add, that this is exactly the problem when you give permission for friends to speak to the press (George Clooney et. al) because then the line becomes blurred on what is and isn't ok to say, and you lose control of the narrative.
Agreed.
I think that if she truly loves and respects Harry and his family and the way they do things, she will have to stop and take a hard look at the people she’s friends with, or at the very least how she goes about with the friendship - because right now she’s coming across as a major hypocrite to many people.
If she won’t be able to reign in her friends to keep her privacy even after the baby is born I have no doubt that the theory that the marriage won’t last will become a reality, perhaps even sooner than was theorized.

If she won’t I truly think that at some point (and I very much believe it will happen shortly after the baby arrives and Harry will discover the unconditional love that a parent has for their child and that it can very easily trump the love for a spouse) Harry will get tired and fed up with her friends talking and information leaking, and a tiny voice in his head will start asking questions about their joint futureand whether staying together is what is best for their child.


That’s just my point of view at this point.
__________________

Closed Thread

Tags
duchess of sussex, duke of sussex, general news, meghan markle, prince harry


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Duke and Duchess of Sussex, General News 2: December 2018 - February 2019 soapstar Current Events Archive 675 02-20-2019 05:26 PM




Popular Tags
administrator alqasimi aristocracy belgian castles countess of wessex crown crown prince hussein crown prince hussein's future wife crusades current events denmark duchess of cambridge duchess of sussex duke of sussex earl of wessex foundation french revolution french royalty friendly city future germany greece harry headship jerusalem kiko king king philippe lineage lithuanian castles meghan markle memoir monaco royal monarchist monarchy monogram mountbatten naples netflix official visit pakistan palaces patronages potential areas prince aymeric prince charles prince harry prince nicholas princess anne princess eugenie princess louise princess margaret qe2 queen mathilde rania of jordan relationship royal royal children russian imperial family savoy saxony south africa south korea spanish history state visit state visit to denmark united kingdom valois viscount severn



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:26 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2019
Jelsoft Enterprises