The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #681  
Old 05-12-2019, 03:16 AM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
Quite right, and that is how it has traditionally been done.
That's how it *should* be done but it's also a "tradition" for some members of the family to do this as well, some get caught out some don't. They probably should edit the post whether they meant it as a favour or not. Ironically the site and its products/retreats now has a hell of a lot more publicity, even more than before.
__________________

  #682  
Old 05-12-2019, 03:19 AM
Fem's Avatar
Fem Fem is offline
Nobility
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: UK, Poland
Posts: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilyflo View Post
I think they should delete that Instagram post to shut down the story & show they understand the rules.
Yeah, I completely agree.

Oh wow. I can't even believe this actually happened, like... Every intern should know that this kind of thing is simply not acceptable and this had to probably go through several people. How can one miss it? They should be used to by now to the fact that everything concerning BRF is picked apart and put under the microscope. It's either stupidity, ignorance or brassiness. And I can't really decide which one is worse.
__________________

  #683  
Old 05-12-2019, 03:24 AM
Zaira's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: A, United States
Posts: 949
The DM article about The Class was intentionally misleading in that on first read of the title it makes it seem like SussexRoyal WAS promoting the 3k retreat on its page when the reality is you have to go a search it out on the website and the Sussex IG was NOT promoting it.

BUT, I have BIG issues with them promoting something like The Class anyway on their IG. The idea of following various orgs and individuals doing work to highlight various causes is amazing and I love it. And I love many of the orgs they followed, especially Black Mental Health Matters (a major critique I have head of HT was the lack of intersectionality).

However The Class is an extremely expensive and desperately niche yoga studio and brand. One of the biggest issues with yoga is how it has been usurped by non-POC and become increasingly out of range cost wise and culturally for low-income folks and POC. There are, however, many programs and studios now in the UK and US that are set up to address these disparities.

Instead of highlighting an overpriced, exclusive and inaccessible business like The Class, they should have highlighted a yoga program that is aimed at broadening access.

Also, I've attended a yoga lesson with Taryn with a friend who likes The Class and it was insufferable. And let me tell you as a big fan of yoga, my ability to deal with over the top yoga classes is fairly advanced...
  #684  
Old 05-12-2019, 03:32 AM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Scotland, United Kingdom
Posts: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilyflo View Post
I think their PR chief needs to get to grips with protocols. Harry might also be unaware of the pitfalls of BRF social media so both he & Meghan might need a crash course before they make any other gaffes, either on social media or anywhere else.
That is a good point, the protocols. That is what a number of people are not fully grasping. It is not a vendetta against Meghan or her team, we want her to succeed, but the problems appear to be arising due to a lack of understanding of the protocol of the BRF>

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavs View Post
That's how it *should* be done but it's also a "tradition" for some members of the family to do this as well, some get caught out some don't. They probably should edit the post whether they meant it as a favour or not. Ironically the site and its products/retreats now has a hell of a lot more publicity, even more than before.
very true, maybe that was the idea.... even if it was removed today, they have the publicity.
  #685  
Old 05-12-2019, 03:36 AM
Zaira's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: A, United States
Posts: 949
I do think that Team Sussex needs to get fully in line and together. I confess myself confused that they prioritized getting a Comms Sec over a Private Secretary. I am not sure I think that was wise.

Sara Latham is extremely capable and talented and has worked at the highest levels in the US and the UK, so I am willing to bet things will smooth out on the comms front soon with her leading it. But you need someone steering the ship overall. I hope they get that someone in a qualified Private Sec post-haste.
  #686  
Old 05-12-2019, 03:37 AM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fem View Post
Yeah, I completely agree.

Oh wow. I can't even believe this actually happened, like... Every intern should know that this kind of thing is simply not acceptable and this had to probably go through several people. How can one miss it? They should be used to by now to the fact that everything concerning BRF is picked apart and put under the microscope. It's either stupidity, ignorance or brassiness. And I can't really decide which one is worse.
Members of the BRF have been involved in Fake Sheikh, cash for access, Peter Phillips Diamond Jubilee firm scandals and many more on this issue. It's something they should be very wary of but it's not surprising it happened either deliberately or oversight. it's not a specific Social media problem. And as I said there have also been times when it's happened and no one has cared in the slightest.
  #687  
Old 05-12-2019, 03:49 AM
muriel's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: London / Guildford, United Kingdom
Posts: 8,771
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
Just because it’s a different way, and people are whining because the media feels useless, doesn’t mean they are incompetent.
Different certainly, but plainly wrong in the way they have mishandled things.
  #688  
Old 05-12-2019, 03:52 AM
MaiaMia_53's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 1,636
I don't see any particular problem associated with one of the highlighted websites being owned by a friend of Meghan's. I see the inclusion as a genuine appreciation for the healthful benefits and positive expertise that the friend's business offers. Meghan has worn clothing from the lines of some designers who also happen to be her friends, including Victoria Beckham, Misha Nonoo, Serena Williams, Jason Wu, and Roland Mouret.

Many royals have relationships with VIPs who financially benefit from association with royalty. In turn, the royals often benefit from the largesse of their wealthy friends. This has been going on I'm quite sure for as long as royalty has been in existence.
  #689  
Old 05-12-2019, 03:57 AM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: England, United Kingdom
Posts: 706
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavs View Post
Members of the BRF have been involved in Fake Sheikh, cash for access, Peter Phillips Diamond Jubilee firm scandals and many more on this issue. It's something they should be very wary of but it's not surprising it happened either deliberately or oversight. it's not a specific Social media problem. And as I said there have also been times when it's happened and no one has cared in the slightest.
I care enormously & I'm a monarchist & supporter of H&M. I'm not alone & there are many British people who loathe the idea of publicly funded figures (royal or political) misusing their position to promote commercial enterprises. They need to be squeaky clean & I really hope H&M receive strong & consistent advice on this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaiaMia_53 View Post
I don't see any particular problem associated with one of the highlighted websites being owned by a friend of Meghan's. I see the inclusion as a genuine appreciation for the healthful benefits and positive expertise that the friend's business offers. Meghan has worn clothing from the lines of some designers who also happen to be her friends, including Victoria Beckham, Misha Nonoo, Serena Williams, Jason Wu, and Roland Mouret.
The fact that you don't see the problem doesn't mean that it isn't a problem. Working royals are not permitted to promote businesses so they have to be very careful about what they do & say. If KP posted a link to Kate's parents' business, even indirectly re: a charity they were supporting, all hell would break loose.

This is one of the reasons Zara is glad she isn't a working royal because she's free to pursue commercial sponsorship to fund her sport. She can tag who she likes & promote any business because she isn't publicly funded.

Of course royals wear clothes - they have to & as long as they aren't promoting the designer outside of wearing their clothes, it's accepted although it's expected that working royals support the British fashion industry & wouldn't wear the labels of a friend more than any other designer. That would attract justified criticism.
  #690  
Old 05-12-2019, 04:20 AM
JR76's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Malmö, Sweden
Posts: 2,525
Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
Not quite, IMO. In the last month or so, there are 3 times when a more experienced operator would have dealt with matters differently from the way they have been.
May I ask who these three occasions are?
I try to stay away from the Sussex forums for the sake of my own sanity but I'm very interested in the way BP, CH & KP works behind the scenes.
  #691  
Old 05-12-2019, 04:31 AM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 3,104
There is a clear ethical line that may have been crossed. Maybe they need to take the ethics training for public servants I had to take for my tax supported government job.
Just because other royals have been caught in ethical dilemmas in the past (most of whom did not make that mistake again) doesn’t mean it is okay.
And just because Meghan has been unfairly criticized an inordinate amount, and stories about her have been made up or exaggerated or spun negatively doesn’t mean when a mistake is made she and Harry should be given a pass.
There is a difference between being a member of a commercial enterprise or celebrity and being a public servant. Even if it is by an accident of birth, the working royals fall into the public servant category.
  #692  
Old 05-12-2019, 04:35 AM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: England, United Kingdom
Posts: 2,514
Ah I remember why I stopped coming into the Sussex threads now, blaming the birth of their cute baby for stepping back down the rabbit hole.

IMO this was a mistake, just as any royal promoting a friends for profit business will always be a mistake.

A few posts ago it was asked why is it wrong to promote this over Anxiety UK which also offers courses for a fee?
Well Anxiety UK is a not-for-profit charity that offers highly discounted courses and treatment for anxiety and mental health well being. It is recommended as a place to look for support by the NHS and is nation wide in its coverage. Prices start from as little as £12 for an annual subscription and treatments are offered for ££ prices. It seems to be away to offer treatment at a price most people can afford, sadly the UK NHS's offering of mental health support is poor and poorly funded so often people have to find their own support, this is a way to make it accessible to all. Anxiety UK is a charity registered with the UK charity commission so no one will profit from it, no one will get richer from people seeing it on the Sussex's instagram and purchasing its services.

On the other hand you have The Class, which is, from looking at the website, a for -profit gym class which is aimed at helping body and mind. Each class costs around $35 for an hour and classes sell out fast, so you can buy a $70 pass that helps you get to the front of the queue. In fairness the DM are being their usual extremist selfs saying the instagram post links straight to a £3,500 retreat but the essence of the story is true. It's a company run by a friend of Meghan so we can assume her friend would profit in the long run from any links , click throughs, that lead to a purchase.

The massive difference between the two is that one is a charity and one is a business run by a friend. Of course there is a difference and of course promoting your friends business is a problem, IMO even worse when you are doing so under the guise of metal health support. I'm sorry but Royals can not so obviously use an officially funded social media account to promote a friends business, whatever the details, what ever good intentions, no matter that its Meghan an Harry and they have a cute baby, they just can not do that. Saying that doesn't mean people don't like M&H, it means they hold them to the same standard they hold every other royal, and in fact every other publicly funded civil servant.
  #693  
Old 05-12-2019, 05:06 AM
Fem's Avatar
Fem Fem is offline
Nobility
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: UK, Poland
Posts: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by O-H Anglophile View Post
There is a clear ethical line that may have been crossed. Maybe they need to take the ethics training for public servants I had to take for my tax supported government job.
Just because other royals have been caught in ethical dilemmas in the past (most of whom did not make that mistake again) doesn’t mean it is okay.
And just because Meghan has been unfairly criticized an inordinate amount, and stories about her have been made up or exaggerated or spun negatively doesn’t mean when a mistake is made she and Harry should be given a pass.
There is a difference between being a member of a commercial enterprise or celebrity and being a public servant. Even if it is by an accident of birth, the working royals fall into the public servant category.
Some people have big problems with that idea. It's getting tiring for the normal royal watchers and the two camps of Meghan can do no wrong and Meghan can do no good should chill out and take a break.

It was a mistake. It happens. Everyone who in any way follows BRF knows that, we saw plenty of it. Now they should see that no mistake like this happens again.
  #694  
Old 05-12-2019, 05:11 AM
MaiaMia_53's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 1,636
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
... I'm sorry but Royals can not so obviously use an officially funded social media account to promote a friends business, whatever the details, what ever good intentions, no matter that its Meghan an Harry and they have a cute baby, they just can not do that. Saying that doesn't mean people don't like M&H, it means they hold them to the same standard they hold every other royal, and in fact every other publicly funded civil servant.


The bolded part is not true. Meghan is being overly scrutinized by the media and a slew of naysayers, and held to an impossible standard, one that no one who matters in the royal family gives two figs about because they know her character and appreciate the difference she has made in Harry's life.

As I said before, if this is seen as something so egregious, the post will be removed and future postings highlighting helpful websites will be more carefully perused. We don't even know exact details about how the post was put together. Again, the biggest problem here is not that the friend's website was highlighted, the problem is this haughty and overdone reaction in the media and by casual observers, as if the posting is some kind of corporal offense!
  #695  
Old 05-12-2019, 05:25 AM
Fem's Avatar
Fem Fem is offline
Nobility
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: UK, Poland
Posts: 264
It's very interesting, that this whole thing started as "Look, Meghan and Harry's team made a mistake of including her personal friend in an Instagram post" and went to "maybe their team should be more careful" to "Meghan is under attack!!!".

Just because someone is pointing out a mistake done by a team, doesn't mean Meghan is being personally attacked.
  #696  
Old 05-12-2019, 05:27 AM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 3,104
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaiaMia_53 View Post
The bolded part is not true. Meghan is being overly scrutinized by the media and a slew of naysayers, and held to an impossible standard, one that no one who matters in the royal family gives two figs about because they know her character and appreciate the difference she has made in Harry's life.

As I said before, if this is seen as something so egregious, the post will be removed and future postings highlighting helpful websites will be more carefully perused. We don't even know exact details about how the post was put together. Again, the biggest problem here is not that the friend's website was highlighted, the problem is this haughty and overdone reaction in the media and by casual observers, as if the posting is some kind of corporal offense!
The first paragraph seems to be excusing a current ethical mistake by the Sussexes based on unwarranted criticism of the past and Meghan’s positive attributes.

Continued endorsement of friends’ commercial enterprises has the potential to be egregious. It is a big problem.

People that do not understand this problem should maybe read about public servants and ethics. The ethics line is much bolder for ethical public servants in these matters.
  #697  
Old 05-12-2019, 06:03 AM
MaiaMia_53's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 1,636
Quote:
Originally Posted by O-H Anglophile View Post
Continued endorsement of friends’ commercial enterprises has the potential to be egregious. It is a big problem.

People that do not understand this problem should maybe read about public servants and ethics. The ethics line is much bolder for ethical public servants in these matters.
Again, if it's that much of a serious problem, it will certainly be dealt with. There's a great deal going on in the royal firm at this time, as we all know, in preparation for a time no one is actually looking forward to. In fact, few people today have even experienced the passing of a beloved monarch. QE-II's reign has been extraordinary and record-breaking, and no one knows exactly what the future holds.
  #698  
Old 05-12-2019, 07:59 AM
Courtier
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: NYC, United States
Posts: 767
Just want to wish The Duchess of Sussex a very Happy 1st Mother's Day! May she enjoy it with her new baby and her family. May she also heap praises upon her own mother, Ms. Doria Ragland.

For anyone else in the thread who is interested, Happy Mother's Day to you also.

Peace
  #699  
Old 05-12-2019, 08:09 AM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: England, United Kingdom
Posts: 2,514
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaiaMia_53 View Post
The bolded part is not true. Meghan is being overly scrutinized by the media and a slew of naysayers, and held to an impossible standard, one that no one who matters in the royal family gives two figs about because they know her character and appreciate the difference she has made in Harry's life.

As I said before, if this is seen as something so egregious, the post will be removed and future postings highlighting helpful websites will be more carefully perused. We don't even know exact details about how the post was put together. Again, the biggest problem here is not that the friend's website was highlighted, the problem is this haughty and overdone reaction in the media and by casual observers, as if the posting is some kind of corporal offense!.
I'm sorry but respectfully I disagree. Promoting a friends business on a publicly funded and managed social media account is a problem and any other civil servant in a government ministry would be punished for doing such. So M&H (and actually their staff as they are paid to manage this) are being held to the same standard as 332,000 civil servants. There are also being held to the same standard as the Countess of Wessex was when she had her own PR company, the Earl of Wessex with his production company, Sarah Ferguson and her royal based enterprises, Peter Phillips for organising the Queen Jubilee lunch and another granddaughter-in-law of HM's family and their party business selling any royal themed merchandise. Each time the royals and business have flown to close to the sun the media have highlighted it.

I like H&M and respect they want to do good in the world, however, that does not mean I loose sight of objectivity - I do not think that means they are above making mistakes, no matter how good the initial intention. Like all the other royals they should expect the media to notice and make public that fact and deal with it in a sensible way e.g. on this occasion by ensuing future posts don't include for profit businesses and maybe removing the current link. The same would be expected and has been expected of other royals and H&M should be treated the same as other royals, I expect no more, no less. Yes the media are ridiculous in their coverage sometimes but, apart from a few over egged lines about being 4 clicks away from spending £3,500 etc, this article is based pretty much in fact and highlights, at best a mistake, at worst, poor practice from whoever is managing the instagram account.

Meghan is being held to the same standard as any new married in to the family, the difference was Kate lived in Anglesey for the first few years and let the fuss die down.
  #700  
Old 05-12-2019, 08:19 AM
Courtier
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: NYC, United States
Posts: 767
Well, it seems the DM is walking back on at least one of it's recent articles. However, the damage was already done, since we also had a back and forth sniping debate on this topic here also. This is why any news about Harry and Meghan that does not come from BP or SussexRoyal I take with a huge pile of salt.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...rrections.html
__________________

Closed Thread

Tags
duchess of sussex, duke of sussex, general news, meghan markle, prince harry


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Duke and Duchess of Sussex, General News 2: December 2018 - February 2019 soapstar Current Events Archive 675 02-20-2019 05:26 PM




Popular Tags
administrator archie mountbatten-windsor aristocracy bavaria;house;chef;luitpold;ludwig belgian royal family castles countess of snowdon countess of wessex crown prince hussein crown prince hussein's future wife crusades current events cypher denmark discussão duchess of cambridge duchess of sussex duke & duchess of cambridge; duke of sussex family search felipe vi foundation french royalty friendly city germany greece hamdan bin mohammed harry head of the house henry v house of bourbon house of saxe-coburg and gotha jack brooksbank jerusalem kiko king philippe letter lineage lithuanian castles marriage meghan markle memoir monaco royal monarchism monarchy official visit pakistan palaces patronages prince charles prince harry princess anne queen mathilde rania of jordan romanov family royal tour rumania russian imperial family shakespeare sharjah siblings south africa spanish history state visit sweden swedish royalty trump usa valois viscount severn



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:11 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2019
Jelsoft Enterprises