The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-28-2019, 02:04 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

Posts discussing what type of baby photos will be released, have been moved to the 'Meghan is Expecting' thread.

Old 04-28-2019, 02:56 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuliannaVictoria View Post
Happy Earth Day from the Sussex's.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bwj2roEBbwL/

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...os-Malawi.html

Prince Harry posted a spectacular wildlife album on his official Instagram page to mark this year's Earth Day. But the rhino, elephant and lion shown in Harry's photographs had in fact all been tranquilised.
The elephant had also been tethered, as a picture taken of the same scene from a different angle shows.

Old 04-28-2019, 02:59 AM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I would imagine that anything that has been done to any of those animals was in the best interest and for the welfare of of the animal themselves.
No law can be sacred to me but that of my nature. Good and bad are but names very readily transferable to that or this; the only right is what is after my constitution, the only wrong what is against it.

~~~Ralph Waldo Emerson~~~
Old 04-28-2019, 03:11 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
I would imagine that anything that has been done to any of those animals was in the best interest and for the welfare of of the animal themselves.
How else can it be spun?
Old 04-28-2019, 07:58 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

So the move to Africa is now just a tour in October..

https://twitter.com/royanikkhah/stat...228103687?s=21
Old 04-28-2019, 08:37 AM
Royal Highness

Idris Elba and Sabrina Dhowre were just married and apparently Harry and Meghan sent them a wedding gift

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbi...ry-Meghan.html

The Elbas may be more acquantied with the Sussexes than let on. He won't spill pots of tea on the royal couple as one TV show try to pump him for information. I wonder if the Elbas will be invited to the christening?
Old 04-28-2019, 08:59 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
How else can it be spun?
Um...try relocating/tracking a wild animal without first tranquillising or tethering it and tell me how that works. I mean it's common sense. How else do people think he got that up close with a lion with it's eyes open where Harry's reflection is shining back.

People just need to be outraged, and here we are again.
Old 04-28-2019, 09:04 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Verseau View Post
Idris Elba and Sabrina Dhowre were just married and apparently Harry and Meghan sent them a wedding gift

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbi...ry-Meghan.html

The Elbas may be more acquantied with the Sussexes than let on. He won't spill pots of tea on the royal couple as one TV show try to pump him for information. I wonder if the Elbas will be invited to the christening?
I am such an analytical person that I don't get art. However, I'm sure the gift was purchased and received with consideration.

Regarding the Christening, I can't see it. It's more for family and really close friends (friends you would consider family). I'm not really expecting too many people at the Christening either.
Old 04-28-2019, 09:13 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Verseau
... The Elbas may be more acquantied with the Sussexes than let on. He won't spill pots of tea on the royal couple as one TV show try to pump him for information. I wonder if the Elbas will be invited to the christening?
Invited to the christening? Surely not! Only godparents will be the non-family members in attendance. I doubt that Harry was fast friends with Elba and his beau prior to the royal wedding. At the time of the wedding, I'd heard that Elba was fairly acquainted with Prince Charles, since Elba had benefited from youth initiatives provided by the Prince's Trust (but that he only knew Harry slightly, in passing). Elba's acting success and his connection with being aided by the Prince's Trust is seemingly one reason why he was on the guest list with his plus one (Canadian model, Sabrina Dhowre, a former Miss Vancouver).

I've already seen the DM article you posted, because I was enticed to the site (a rare exception) due to a Markle-related cluster-bust story.

M&H's wedding gift to Elba & bride must be related to conversations the couples may have had at informal gatherings post-royal wedding, otherwise it's pretty obscure. I've never heard of the artists. And the painting to my eyes and sensibilities doesn't seem worth the amount reportedly paid. But who knows, re the art world. Perhaps Harry and Meghan struck up a cordial friendship with Elba and Dhowre at last year's royal wedding festivities [ETA: Elba served as dj at the after-party; thanks to alvinking for the recent video where Elba describes how he was asked to do the honors by Harry].

In any case, let's be honest that a lot of world famous celebs are lining up, eager to become acquainted with the Sussexes and possibly eventually cop an invite to dinner at Frogmore Cottage, just as M&H's royal wedding guest list invite was the hottest ticket in the world last May. [ETA: there was never any intention on my part of grouping Elba in this category, since he obviously already knew Harry].

Gayle King attending Meghan's baby shower in NYC was rather eye-opening, since King didn't know Meghan from Adam during the years Meghan was working on Suits in Toronto. King apparently must have gotten into the evening after-party on the hem-tails of her BFF status with Oprah, and since then both King and Oprah have apparently continued to make the most of having cemented some kind of relationship with Meghan & Harry (with Oprah having capitalized on a church-related connection to Meghan's Mom, Doria, in LA). I can imagine it's rather surreal being courted by Oprah Winfrey after your daughter becomes engaged to a Prince of England.

After all Meghan's years of being a face in the crowd at Hollywood auditions and struggling to land bit parts in movies and middling to major roles in television pilots that might or might not be picked up, it must have been such a life-changing switcheroo after her Suits success and meeting Harry, for Meghan to suddenly experience famous people jockeying and/or putting out feelers to get to know her. Also, I'm reminded of all the cold-calls Meghan made to celebrities to contribute features on her Tig blog, and now the tables have turned.

Meghan and Doria must be fairly flattered by someone like Oprah's advances, which both Meghan and Harry clearly have welcomed. I suppose like 'birds of a feather,' the most astute wealthy & famous people who find common ground, tend to flock together. But surely some of these friendly connections are polite and tangential, or solely professional and philanthropic-oriented, rather than of the intimate BFF quality.
Old 04-28-2019, 09:13 AM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuliannaVictoria View Post
Um...try relocating/tracking a wild animal without first tranquillising or tethering it and tell me how that works. I mean it's common sense. How else do people think he got that up close with a lion with it's eyes open where Harry's reflection is shining back.

People just need to be outraged, and here we are again.
Personally, if there's anything that people should be outraged about is contained in the message that was posted along with the pictures. Noticed that one of the biggies endangering these animals and the ecosystem is not tranquilizing an animal or tethering an elephant but rather the fact that one of the biggest threats these animals (and us humans) face is the overabundance of plastic.

To protect our environment, many movers and shakers and deep pockets are joining in to raise awareness of this problem including Princess Eugenie (she had a plastic free wedding) and Sir Richard Branson. I've posted an informative article about Branson's work exploring The Great Blue Hole in Belize which he and his crew were the first to go to the actual floor and guess what they found there? A plastic bottle. The article is in the British Nobility thread.

I love the quality of the photographs posted on the Sussex Instagram. Very, very well done.
No law can be sacred to me but that of my nature. Good and bad are but names very readily transferable to that or this; the only right is what is after my constitution, the only wrong what is against it.

~~~Ralph Waldo Emerson~~~
Old 04-28-2019, 09:28 AM
Nobility

Typical of certain UK tabloids to not grasp common sense. That they go clicking around on social media to try and twist a story shows continued low news editorial standards. I do not read Daily Mail nor will I click on their website, however, a reliable social media acquaintance noticed that DM used a picture already published from 2016.

Thankfully the official Royal Family website has documented very well Prince Harry’s good work with elephant conservation.

https://www.royal.uk/prince-harry-ma...-african-parks

In addition to the Royal Family website, the Sussex’s Instagram account provides useful information & lovely pictures & video. It’s nice to see pictures not previously released too.
Old 04-28-2019, 09:32 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaiaMia_53 View Post
I doubt that Harry was fast friends with Elba and his beau prior to the royal wedding. I'd heard that Elba was fairly acquainted with Prince Charles, since Elba had benefited from youth initiatives provided by the Prince's Trust. That's one reason why Elba was on the guest list with his plus one (Canadian model, Sabrina Dhowre, a former Miss Vancouver). I've already seen the DM article you posted, because I was enticed to the site (a rare exception) due to a Markle-related cluster-bust story.

M&H's wedding gift to Elba & bride must be related to conversations the couples may have had at informal gatherings post-royal wedding, otherwise it's pretty obscure. I've never heard of the artists. And the painting to my eyes and sensibilities doesn't seem worth it. But who knows, re the art world. Perhaps Harry and Meghan struck up a cordial friendship with Elba and Dhowre at last year's wedding reception, or the evening bash (if Elba & his fiancee attended the exclusive after-party -- and they probably did).
This is terrible. Always questioning the truth even if it comes out of the parties concerned.

Idriss Elba has himself told of his link to Harry. Indeed he himself said that he benefited from the Prince's Trust as an aspiring actor, and in return, he has been giving back. He became acquainted with the POW as well as his sons, an he became friend with Harry overtime. As a side gig, he dj, and Harry asked him if wanted to dj at his wedding at the evening event.

https://youtu.be/ECuzsedTSU0

He has known him, long before Meghan
Old 04-28-2019, 09:49 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...os-Malawi.html

Prince Harry posted a spectacular wildlife album on his official Instagram page to mark this year's Earth Day. But the rhino, elephant and lion shown in Harry's photographs had in fact all been tranquilised.
The elephant had also been tethered, as a picture taken of the same scene from a different angle shows.
Let me get this straight, are they seriously at the point of dragging Harry for not endangering his life enough as the animals are tranquilized? And having a professional photographer on just to criticize Harry because apparently he doesn’t think Harry captured all there is to capture of wildlife. Do they seriously think the main point is photography here? Like animals are going extinct, but screw that, let’s criticize him for not being the best professional photographer even though we know he’s not.

Quote:
How else can it be spun?
Why would it need to be spun? Even DM isn’t low enough to openly criticize Harry for using normally used and harmless method.
Old 04-28-2019, 10:45 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvinking View Post
This is terrible. Always questioning the truth even if it comes out of the parties concerned.

Idriss Elba has himself told of his link to Harry. Indeed he himself said that he benefited from the Prince's Trust as an aspiring actor, and in return, he has been giving back. He became acquainted with the POW as well as his sons, an he became friend with Harry overtime. As a side gig, he dj, and Harry asked him if wanted to dj at his wedding at the evening event.

https://youtu.be/ECuzsedTSU0

He has known him, long before Meghan
In no way was I ever questioning Elba's connection to the royals. I didn't say that Elba did not know Prince Harry. In fact, I noted in my previous post that it was Elba's connection with the Prince's Trust, and his success as an actor which connected him to the royals. So of course, Elba was acquainted with both Prince Charles and Prince Harry well before Prince Harry began dating Meghan. Thus, the wedding invitation. During the royal wedding broadcast, one of the less-informed network commentators queried Elba's connection to Meghan and Harry (so that is in part what I was recalling).

I appreciate you linking Elba's March 2019 interview comments on the Ellen talk show. I was not fully aware of how well he and Harry might know each other, but I was aware they knew each other. According to Elba's comments on Ellen, he'd 'hung out' with Harry and William on a few occasions, and Harry had attended a few of Elba's parties where Elba had served as dj. Obviously impressed by Elba's dj skills, Harry asked him to dj for the royal wedding after-party. Clearly, Elba was honored and taken by surprise as well. Still, my doubting that Prince Harry and Elba were 'fast friends' is accurate. They were apparently casual acquaintances who 'hung out' together on a few occasions, prior to the royal wedding.

This is obviously an example of 'famous and wealthy people with common ground flocking together,' as I discussed in my previous post. It's also an example of royalty rubbing shoulders with VIPs and with 'all the best,' talented people in the world. Fancy that. Another example is when Diana PoW got the Spice Girls to show up at KP as a surprise birthday appearance for Prince William. Cool, eh!

My speculation (as I noted in the earlier post) is that Elba and his fiancee obviously must have struck up a cordial connection with both M&H in order to have received the expensive wedding gift. That means a cordial connection between both couples, beyond Elba's casual acquaintance with Prince Harry before last year's royal wedding. And btw, as the receiver of a wedding gift from any royals, I personally would have tried to keep such a gift on the down-low, rather than having it leaked out to the media. But that's just me.

I do recall hearing about the dj gig request of Elba by Harry. That sounds like a cool blast of fun really. Idris Elba is a fine actor. I've not seen his much talked about series, Luther, but I'm planning to soon binge-watch on Netflix.

As far as my references to celebs 'jockeying and putting out feelers,' I most certainly was not characterizing Idris Elba in that way, since he knew the royals long before Harry met Meghan. I was talking about famous celebs and VIPs who actually did not know Meghan or Harry well or at all prior to their courtship and engagement.

For example, Ivanka Trump was one of the famous people to whom little known Suits actress Meghan had placed a cold call to for a former Tig feature. Ivanka had generously complied. After the royal engagement announcement of M&H, Ivanka was one of the famous people with a tangential connection who tweeted congratulations to Meghan. But alas, Ivanka did not receive a wedding invite. Even absent the 'no political invitees UK government directive,' I doubt Ivanka was anywhere near making the wedding guest list first draft or final cut.
Old 04-28-2019, 11:11 AM
Serene Highness

I didn't click on that Dailymail article, but reading comments about it, it just sounds like another misleading attempt to rile up their readers. Filled with untruths and fake outrage over nothing at all.
Old 04-28-2019, 12:31 PM
Royal Highness

All of the media's 'wild' wildlife photograph speculations surrounding the Duke of Sussex's conservation activities in Africa should be put to rest. There was even an arts reporter for The Guardian who felt the out-of-left-field necessity to compare the Duchess of Cambridge's accomplished photographic skills with Harry's amateur wildlife photography forays! Two different genres, and clearly no necessity to compare. The reporter actually dissed Harry for no real reason, claiming that Harry was playing at trying to emulate the photographs of famous wildlife photographer, Sebastio Selgado. It's a very curious case of mocking and dissing an admitted amateur photographer, IMO.

The Duchess of Cambridge, likely took some photography courses while at St. Andrews (the school has an excellent photography program, and courses in photography are taught under the History of Art degree program). It's not out of the realm of possibility that Kate may have even inspired Harry's interest in photography, and given him tips. But I doubt he's aiming to enter any photography contests. It's surely a passionate hobby as well as a practical pursuit in the age of Instagram.

The tabloid media do need to stop trolling the Sussex's Instagram account.
Old 04-28-2019, 02:54 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaiaMia_53 View Post
The tabloid media do need to stop trolling the Sussex's Instagram account.
Why? I mean, the individual Instagram account was a terrible idea to start with. Add to it the way it's being handled and it's a clear invitation for people (and tabloids) to troll.

I can't blame them, it's my first instinct too.

Though I do agree, Harry's pictures should be left alone, they are actually really good.
Old 04-28-2019, 03:09 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fem View Post
Why? I mean, the individual Instagram account was a terrible idea to start with. Add to it the way it's being handled and it's a clear invitation for people (and tabloids) to troll.

I can't blame them, it's my first instinct too.
I agree, the IG account was a spectacularly bad idea.
Old 04-28-2019, 03:34 PM
Nobility

Quote:
I agree, the IG account was a spectacularly bad idea.
One that is backfiring now. But I guess they did what they wanted
Old 04-28-2019, 03:36 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fem View Post
One that is backfiring now. But I guess they did what they wanted
My question, how is it "backfiring?"

Closed Thread

Tags
duchess of sussex, duke of sussex, general news, meghan markle, prince harry