The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-20-2019, 10:20 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
Hmm I saw slightly tart comments in a paper about the "glittery" people at Eugs wedding..
Key word here is slightly, and it doesn't compare to the venom Meghan has been subject to for now 3 years in papers days in and out as far as this subject is concerned

Old 04-20-2019, 10:21 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvinking View Post
Like it said in a privious post back in February and I quote myself
So now there is a litmus test for her friends?...

I don't remember hearing the same venom at Eugenie's wedding. Seated in the Quire were Robin Williams, Demi Moore, Naomi Campbell to name a few. Was that Hollywood too?

On a side note, the same celebrities that have been viewed askance, are the same ones royals rely on for their fundraising activities for their charities. In these cases their money doesn't sink does it? You don't believe it, go ask the PoW about celebrities financial contribution to the Prince's Trust
It would be a neat trick for Robin Williams to have been at Eugenie's wedding, but I take your point.

There's always been commentary about celebrity friendships with the royals, it's not unique to Meghan, and it frequently has not been positive commentary. I'm not sure where you are getting that anyone is applying any kind of litmus test for Harry and Meghan's friends, but the discussion was about how their celebrity friendships affect the perception of Meghan. Of course, celebrities have frequently been associated with the royals' pet causes, and will continue to be.

Old 04-20-2019, 10:27 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Key word here is slightly, and it doesn't compare to the venom Meghan has been subject to for now 3 years in papers days in and out as far as this subject is concerned
Far as I can see, it is the commentators on the papers (ie internet comment sections) that have the nasty comments. and it seems to be divided between britisih and American commenters...
People just aren't that interested in Eugenie.. but even so she gets crticisim.
Old 04-20-2019, 10:34 AM
Imperial Majesty

Just recently we saw William talking about how at the beginning of the H.T. campaign he couldn't get any celeb to join up and support it, get involved etc. So he, the future King, actively sought out to involve celebs....his father recently brought in two entertainers to one of his causes....the next king!

Still waiting on the outrage.....

LaRae
Old 04-20-2019, 10:38 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO View Post
That said, I do agree with the fact that Meghan is American, an actress, older, and outspoken also makes people uncomfortable. So add on top her racial background and we get this magnitude of nastiness.
I have a strong impression covert racists can't stomach the fact that Meghan, a mixed race woman is confident, outspoken, highly educated, rich and successful in her own right, has powerful and famous friends and is a citizen of a more powerful country. On top of that she looks young, beautiful and dares to wear expensive clothes. All things reserved for whites only
Yasmin Alibhai-Brown, "Bigoted Brits will be infuriated and unforgiving. I am already getting emails about how “the woman will pollute the bloodline” and stain national purity" https://inews.co.uk/opinion/columnis...tional-family/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCzAp5IhyL4
Old 04-20-2019, 10:40 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
Just recently we saw William talking about how at the beginning of the H.T. campaign he couldn't get any celeb to join up and support it, get involved etc. So he, the future King, actively sought out to involve celebs....his father recently brought in two entertainers to one of his causes....the next king!

LaRae
Why would there be outrage? Celebrities are very useful in drawing support for pet causes. You're conflating two different issues: celebrities as close (and very outspoken) personal friends--baby showers, interviews in magazines about the royal, etc., and celebrities as acquaintances and spokespeople for a cause. One is more likely to draw negative commentary than the other. As we have seen.
Old 04-20-2019, 10:43 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeT View Post
The Crown Jewels worn by the BRF, the Royal Art Collection etc are largely internationally sourced. The 6th inline’s wife wearing some international designs, seems more in tradition with the foundation of BRF & what it stands on.
I think it is quite clear on how some of the spoils of the empire continue to live on in the jewel and art collections of the BRF. But that is history, and I think Meghan's fashion choices cannot be viewed through quite the same lens.

Quote:
A few high profile people supporting truth about the Duchess is good considering the amount of hate that has been directed at her, fuelled by some unprofessional & unethical journalists taking part in copy/paste journalism.
You raise a very interesting point. I think the friends of the Duchess speaking to the media on her behalf, without the consent of the Palace, is exactly the sort of thing that is really not appreciated by the BRF, and some of the UK based royal watchers.

Quote:
After all, it’s the reigning Monarch that’s patron of the Royal Variety Charity.
And monarchs since George V have supported that charity.
Aristocracy

Quote:

LaRae
American/celebrity/even divorced are covers, talking points, the issue is somewhere else and we all know it (race; perception of what feminism is and what it implies in their mind, sjw, et al, everything that is projected onto her)
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ista View Post
There is a lot of negativity associated with the acquisition of some of the gemstones in some of the Crown Jewels, and the imperialism implied with it, so I don't think it's a good idea to apply that lens to Meghan. It's a real stretch in any case.

And the association of the BRF with celebrities doesn't give Meghan much cover, either, when you consider the hits to reputation that have followed from royal friendships with wild-partying celebs, or with celebrities who had, to put it very politely, dubious reputations. That's part, I think, of why Meghan's celebrity friends have been viewed askance: the BRF's friendships with celebrities has not always ended well, or reflected well on the particular royal. It's a slippery slope.
I’m British, when my family lived in England, we travelled to other countries & purchased items. I now live in Canada & support locally & internationally. If international support wasn’t important, members of the BRF wouldn’t do tours to other countries and Her Majesty wouldn’t receive international guests outside of the Commonwealth.

The only reason, Meghan’s friends received pushback is because certain people who are full of hatred are upset their negative narrative was challenged. Several journalists complained that 5 of Meghan’s friends spoke out anonymously to support her. Some of those same journalists recently promoted a newspaper article quoting anonymous journalists deriding Meghan, hypocrisy at its finest. When reviewing problems in the history of BRF, celebrities weren’t the issue.
Old 04-20-2019, 10:48 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Like it said in a privious post back in February and I quote myself
[B]So now there is a litmus test for her friends?...

I don't remember hearing the same venom at Eugenie's wedding. Seated in the Quire were Robin Williams, Demi Moore, Naomi Campbell to name a few. Was that Hollywood too?
Actualy, the Yorks received quite a lot of criticism at the time of Eugenie and Jack's wedding for the high celebrity count. That said, Eugenie is not a working member of the BRF, so she is pretty free to do as she pleases. She is not supported by public funds, and does not work for the Firm.

Quote:
The only reason, Meghan’s friends received pushback is because certain people who are full of hatred are upset their negative narrative was challenged. Several journalists complained that 5 of Meghan’s friends spoke out anonymously to support her. Some of those same journalists recently promoted a newspaper article quoting anonymous journalists deriding Meghan, hypocrisy at its finest. When reviewing problems in the history of BRF, celebrities weren’t the issue.
Not quite, IMO. The criticism of Meghan tacitly supporting her friends speaking on her behalf to the media stems from the parallel to the last member of the BRF who employed such tactics. That ended badly, and one would hope Meghan learns from the recent history.

Quote:
I’m British, when my family lived in England, we travelled to other countries & purchased items. I now live in Canada & support locally & internationally. If international support wasn’t important, members of the BRF wouldn’t do tours to other countries and Her Majesty wouldn’t receive international guests outside of the Commonwealth.
With respect, you and I have a lot more freedom in our sartorial choices as we do not represent a nation in our work. Our choices are personal. Ladies of the BRF largely wear British, to support local businesses.

As regards overseas tours by the BRF are typically carried out on behalf of HM's Government, and more specifically, the Foreign & Commonwealth Office. They are usually designed to highlight and draw attention to trade, cultural, social and other linkages. Not sure I quite understand the point you might be making wrt to these tours and Meghan's penchant for overseas designer wear.

Quote:

LaRae
That is correct. I think William, Catherine, Harry and the HT team have done a fantastic job of bringing mental health into the broader conversation in the UK, and using the power of celebrities to widen that narrative. How is that a problem?
Old 04-20-2019, 11:07 AM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
With all the talk of the negativity and the various reasons why so much has been thrown at Meghan, we also have the huge success stories that, to me, outweighs what people don't like about Meghan. Perhaps the negativity increased because a new member of the BRF isn't supposed to be as talented, caring, hardworking and comfortable in their own skin as Meghan is. Those that vocally express their prejudices against someone they do not know and probably will never know reflects more on their character than it does on Meghan.

So there has been a good crowd trying to bring her down. There's also a good size crowd that has shown themselves to support the Duke and Duchess of Sussex as we saw with the overwhelming success of Meghan's involvement with the Hubb Kitchen and "Together: Our Community Cookbook". Then an overwhelmingly successful tour down under, amassing millions of followers the day they open up an Instagram account and now with the impending arrival of Baby Sussex, the wonderful support garnered by #GlobalSussexBabyShower. The fact that all this was accomplished in under a year. shows that its no small feat in my book.

It seems to me that Harry and Meghan both will continue to do what they do and make a difference in this world regardless of any kind of negativity thrown at them as they'll mostly think of it as "noise". It takes a strong character to be able to do this and together, The Duke and Duchess of Sussex are a formidable team.
No law can be sacred to me but that of my nature. Good and bad are but names very readily transferable to that or this; the only right is what is after my constitution, the only wrong what is against it.

~~~Ralph Waldo Emerson~~~
Old 04-20-2019, 11:08 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
Not quite, IMO. The criticism of Meghan tacitly supporting her friends speaking on her behalf to the media stems from the parallel to the last member of the BRF who employed such tactics. That ended badly, and one would hope Meghan learns from the recent history.
Other current royals have had friends speak out on their behalf, why can't Meghan have that same opportunity? Many parts of the British media were upset only because it challenged all the outrageous claims that they have been throwing out there, especially the one that she ghosted her father.
Old 04-20-2019, 11:12 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rena M. View Post
All POC call it racism and we, white people, only have to listen and to validate.
For informational purposes, I am an African American woman.

I do see some of the some racism but its is not as overt as the Americanism and classism. And to be honest, some of the things that Muriel says (i.e. cost of clothing, lack of British fashion choices) IMO causes some of the criticism to Meghan (a small fraction of IMO) that could be done away with if she toned it down.

I don't have an issue (not that my opinion matters to the BRF and the British as a whole) with her friends being from Hollywood because I would like think that we make friends with our workmates and that is what she has done. A majority of her Hollywood friends are people she has worked with at Suits and/or met trying to break into Hollywood. They all started around the same time she did. That's like a college friend IMO.

Old 04-20-2019, 11:12 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
That is correct. I think William, Catherine, Harry and the HT team have done a fantastic job of bringing mental health into the broader conversation in the UK, and using the power of celebrities to widen that narrative. How is that a problem?
It's only a problem because royal reporters go crazy when Harry or Meghan partner with celebrities. Look how upset they got when it was announced that Harry was partnering with Oprah on mental health. The double standards with them is off the charts.
Old 04-20-2019, 11:14 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaiSoSo View Post
Other current royals have had friends speak out on their behalf, why can't Meghan have that same opportunity?
Apart from the War of the Wales', which was a pretty horrendous time for all concerned, do friends speak to the media on behalf of members of the core BRF?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaiSoSo View Post
It's only a problem because royal reporters go crazy when Harry or Meghan partner with celebrities. Look how upset they got when it was announced that Harry was partnering with Oprah on mental health. The double standards with them is off the charts.
I think Ista has very clearly articulated the issue in Post 508 above.
Old 04-20-2019, 11:18 AM
Heir Presumptive

I can honestly say as someone in the UK who reads/sees most mainstream media regarding the Royals I can honestly say I've never seen anything that suggests a dislike of her for reasons of race. Perhaps there are remarks in comment sections/forums/social media but not really in the mainstream media.

Is there anti americanism in the coverage? Well sometimes it can be taken that way but really I feel it is more about the way Meghan, as a "celebrity" did not fit into somepeople's view of what a royal should be. Sometimes I think these remarks are taken as anti-american as some of her traits as perhaps more acceptable in american society than in the British RF. Its not saying they are wrong just different. In reality there needs to probably be more of a compromise - keeping her distinct personality and things close to her heart but also adopting some of the RF's traditions - a meeting in the middle, which IMO is what is happening.

The only way you could say this is anti-Americanism is if another female celebrity who was British married into the BRF and the coverage was 100% different. I honestly don't see the mainstream's media as racist or even anti-American.
Old 04-20-2019, 11:18 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rena M. View Post
I have a strong impression covert racists can't stomach the fact that Meghan, a mixed race woman is confident, outspoken, highly educated, rich and successful in her own right, has powerful and famous friends and is a citizen of a more powerful country. On top of that she looks young, beautiful and dares to wear expensive clothes. All things reserved for whites only
I agree with a lot of this. Most women but especially those of color in positions of power are constantly attacked. They are always being reminded of needing to “know their place” in this society. So it’s no surprise other women who have experienced this feel the need to defend her. They know.
Old 04-20-2019, 11:19 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Actualy, the Yorks received quite a lot of criticism at the time of Eugenie and Jack's wedding for the high celebrity count. That said, Eugenie is not a working member of the BRF, so she is pretty free to do as she pleases. She is not supported by public funds, and does not work for the Firm.

T
I think that while Eugenie isn't popular its more because of her parents than herself.. so the crtiticsm was more on Sarah and Andrew for inviting all these "glitzy" people..
Old 04-20-2019, 11:20 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
I can honestly say as someone in the UK who reads/sees most mainstream media regarding the Royals I can honestly say I've never seen anything that suggests a dislike of her for reasons of race. Perhaps there are remarks in comment sections/forums/social media but not really in the mainstream media.

Is there anti americanism in the coverage? Well sometimes it can be taken that way but really I feel it is more about the way Meghan, as a "celebrity" did not fit into somepeople's view of what a royal should be. Sometimes I think these remarks are taken as anti-american as some of her traits as perhaps more acceptable in american society than in the British RF. Its not saying they are wrong just different. In reality there needs to probably be more of a compromise - keeping her distinct personality and things close to her heart but also adopting some of the RF's traditions - a meeting in the middle, which IMO is what is happening.

The only way you could say this is anti-Americanism is if another female celebrity who was British married into the BRF and the coverage was 100% different. I honestly don't see the mainstream's media as racist or even anti-American.
Well put, tommy100.
Old 04-20-2019, 11:24 AM
Heir Apparent

Any racism is harldy likely to be overtly expressed...

Closed Thread

Tags
duchess of sussex, duke of sussex, general news, meghan markle, prince harry