The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-24-2019, 09:17 AM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I agree. Once upon a post in Facebook, there was the question asked that if you were going to be getting married, what TV personality would you want to plan your wedding. Of course, this was way back before the Sussex wedding (it was imminent though) and I typed in "Meghan Markle. I hear she does weddings up quite royally". Got a few people asking me "Meghan who?" in private.

We're in an environment here that scrutinizes things day in and day out with our royal favorites. Compared to the rest of the world, we're as big as a grain of salt in our universe that just might be a grain of salt in the overall picture of of being just a part of a multiverse. Then again, a grain of salt may contain a whole universe in itself.

At least here we have a venue to express our thoughts.

No law can be sacred to me but that of my nature. Good and bad are but names very readily transferable to that or this; the only right is what is after my constitution, the only wrong what is against it.

~~~Ralph Waldo Emerson~~~
Old 02-24-2019, 09:29 AM
Super Moderator

I think there is an assumption that a new member of the royal family has to "fit in" somehow - to me it's rather a media-driven myth. Harry chose the woman he wanted to marry, it happens to have been Meghan and that's the end of it. The Royal Family have welcomed her into the family and she has proven popular amongst the people whom she meets. Those commenting in the media (both social and otherwise) - as well as the media itself - are a concentrated demographic within the wider population.

Meghan is well-liked and as a separate issue, I see no reason for her to do anything differently or to change other than the natural development of a person as time passes.

Old 02-24-2019, 09:51 AM
Royal Highness

Back to the potential lawsuit -could it possibly be DM is more legal exposure? For months Tom Sr told the media Meghan virtually ignored him and didn't contact him and he couldn't contact her. The letter and Dad's interview shot down that narrative.
Old 02-24-2019, 09:58 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Verseau View Post
Back to the potential lawsuit -could it possibly be DM is more legal exposure? For months Tom Sr told the media Meghan virtually ignored him and didn't contact him and he couldn't contact her. The letter and Dad's interview shot down that narrative.
I see it as: Stay tuned for the next episode of "How The Stomach Turns" sure to reveal everything and anything about a private life we have no business knowing about in the first place.
No law can be sacred to me but that of my nature. Good and bad are but names very readily transferable to that or this; the only right is what is after my constitution, the only wrong what is against it.

Old 02-24-2019, 10:54 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
An interesting PoV from The Telegraph today (hardly a tabloid).

Dear Meghan: a guide to being properly posh in Britain
Definitely tongue in cheek & rather mocking of the upper classes. Also, given that Meghan has been in Harry's social circle for a couple of years, I doubt she needs lessons on what 'properly posh' looks like.
Old 02-24-2019, 10:59 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilyflo View Post
Definitely tongue in cheek & rather mocking of the upper classes. Also, given that Meghan has been in Harry's social circle for a couple of years, I doubt she needs lessons on what 'properly posh' looks like.
If she had learned her lessons, she would have developed a sixth sense for what is proper and what not as a member of the Firm. Her adventures last week suggests she still has to learn a lot. I am surprised that apparently there is no guidance from the men in grey suits. Or from her father-in-law and husband. Or there was but the Duchess made her own judgement.
Old 02-24-2019, 11:03 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
If she had learned her lessons, she would have developed a sixth sense for what is proper and what not. Her adventures last week suggests she still has to learn a lot.
Perhaps the issue of what is proper and what is not proper is changing. If things never changed, we'd be treated to men still wearing fashionable tights to this day.

https://www.google.com/search?client...zRkgkGpZSD6PM:

Old 02-24-2019, 11:14 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilyflo View Post
Given that they met through a mutual friend, I'd say she's known something of that circle for even longer than that.

As for any "antics" nothing she's done has been any worse and in some cases a whole lot better than what some blood royals and born aristocrats have done in their private times, including her husband and brother in law.
Old 02-24-2019, 11:19 AM
Courtier

Quote:
If she had learned her lessons, she would have developed a sixth sense for what is proper and what not as a member of the Firm. Her adventures last week suggests she still has to learn a lot. I am surprised that apparently there is no guidance from the men in grey suits. Or from her father-in-law and husband. Or there was but the Duchess made her own judgement.
She hasn't done anything that isn't 'proper' as a member of the BRF.
Old 02-24-2019, 11:22 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:

We are just assuming we know what is proper from members of the Firm. I would better understand this imho fake outrage about the baby shower, if the same publications hadn't previously started outrage about avocado toasts, black nail polish, off shoulder dresses, which ALL were something Meghan apparently needed guidance for. Personally I highly doubt Harry, Charles or anyone else had any issue with Meghan being spoiled by her friends with this baby shower. But that's just my opinion, others can have theirs, obviously. But they're just our opinions. It doesn't mean, that what we think is the proper way to behave in the Firm.
Old 02-24-2019, 11:24 AM
Majesty

Quote:
OR...
She is confident enough to trust her own and Harry's judgement on what is proper. Honestly, sometimes it seems like we think it is a GOOD thing that the UK establishment acts like a bunch of high school girls to enforce highly dated rules of proper dress.
We have heard all this before especially with the height of Kate's skirts. I don't want to get off on a fashion discussion but Meg is just not doing anything that crazy that we need the smelling salts.
Why is it that we complain when the royal men are rumpled or not flashing enough cuff, but we shame women's judgement for different fashion choices. It's sexist and ridiculous.
Sorry - had to let that out.
Old 02-24-2019, 11:50 AM
Imperial Majesty

At least we're not back in the time where girls were told that only "bad girls" wore patent leather shoes because they reflect up to you know where.

And yes, I was schooled to believe this.

Old 02-24-2019, 01:51 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
I think it's probably just a legal threat. I hope Thomas Markle isn't sued. He absolutely did the wrong thing, reprehensible really, in giving this letter to a newspaper (or selling it to them) but a Royal suing anyone isn't a good look, and that goes double for a new Royal taking legal action against her own father, even though she is in the right.
Since that same article also reports that BP took issue with photographs taken of the Queen and Anne at a pheasant shoot, both could be legal threats aimed at changing behavior rather than an actual intent to sue. Perhaps aimed at getting the publication to remove the complained of content from their sites?
The article also mentions Charles’ suit in 2005 over publication of his private written commentary. I recall William and Catherine’s successful lawsuit against the French magazine. The Middleton’s threatening to take action for photos of their family playing tennis years ago, etc..
The pattern I have gleaned is that they don’t often sue, but occasionally the Royals do sue, so I am not surprised that Meghan’s advisors have perhaps decided to do as has been done in the past and suggested legal action in this case when the press has gone a step too far. In this I don’t see Meghan as any different than every other member of the BRF. I am reminded of Harry’s strong statement issued after someone broke into Meghan’s house (and William’s endorsement of it.) The Royals seem slow to react at times, but they do react and take action when they perceive that a line has been crossed.
I agree that it is a balancing act - will suing do more harm by prolonging the life of the story v. what good could come from a successful suit.
Old 02-24-2019, 02:01 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
You assume there is no guidance

Perhaps no one thought it inappropriate for her to have a baby shower. Now if she was the one who planned the baby shower, Charles may have said something. Especially as he likely would have footed the bill. But her friends planned and paid for the event, and the chartered jet she went on.
Old 02-24-2019, 04:50 PM
Heir Presumptive

To me the issue some people have is being seen "indulging" in such luxuries so publicly. Of course part of that is the media and being able to cover it. Finding and photographing Meghan in New York will of course be easier than happening to be in the right place when W&K jet out off some low key airfield to Norway for a holiday.
All members of the RF have used private jets for holidays and private visits but, IF, we believe the media not many organise their own press pen outside the hotel. In fairness logistically it is easier to use a private jet when you are travelling with protection officer in-tow.
Personally I couldn't care less if she uses a friends jet to travel, as long as its not costing the taxpayer. But I do think the general tone of the baby shower was rather extravagant.
Old 02-24-2019, 05:07 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
To me the issue some people have is being seen "indulging" in such luxuries so publicly. Of course part of that is the media and being able to cover it. Finding and photographing Meghan in New York will of course be easier than happening to be in the right place when W&K jet out off some low key airfield to Norway for a holiday.
All members of the RF have used private jets for holidays and private visits but, IF, we believe the media not many organise their own press pen outside the hotel. In fairness logistically it is easier to use a private jet when you are travelling with protection officer in-tow.
Personally I couldn't care less if she uses a friends jet to travel, as long as its not costing the taxpayer. But I do think the general tone of the baby shower was rather extravagant.
Considering the media has admitted they learned she was in NY because someone spotted her in a restaurant, I hightly doubt she 'planned her own press pen'.

You do realize she didn't plan the baby shower right???? It was planned and paid for by her friends, many of whom are celebrities. It was likely not even considered that extravagant in their world.

Its okay for the other royals to stay in extravegent luxury hotels in the Alps, or in Mustique and such, because they are 'private'??
Old 02-24-2019, 05:21 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post

That's the thing though she didn't organize a press pen . The Mark put up it's own barriers to keep the exit to their place of business clear (pretty much like they do every May when the Met is happening and it's the jumping off point for a bunch of the guests)

As far as what we know the visit was pretty low key for 3 days until somebody tipped the paps off that she was staying at her friends house and it then became a security issue because of the loons that populate the interwebs - one of the conspiracy theorists wack jobs did turn up by the way to try to get close enough to 'snatch that fake belly off of her '
Old 02-24-2019, 05:26 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post

I think that it was Harry who, after having seen that Meghan was "busted" in New York, made sure that she was properly protected. I read she stayed for the first days with her friend in her house. I can imagine that once it was known that she was in NY, it was decided that she should move to a hotel to protect her friend and have official security at that hotel, including dealing with the media. She is, after all, the American's Royal and as she was back home for the first time since her marriage, My guess is that the officals of NYC wanted to make sure her stay would be a secure one. And who would have thought that some papers would make suc h an affair-of-the-state out of it? I doubt the RF thought so in advance, otherwise they (Harry and Charles) would have invite Meghan's friends to Highgrove or another place where they could ahve fun in private. I can so imagine Harry wishing that Meghan could have a bit of the fun she used to have before she married him but then got afraid for her security.
Old 02-24-2019, 05:27 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humbugged View Post
That's the thing though she didn't organize a press pen . The Mark put up it's own barriers to keep the exit to their place of business clear (pretty much like they do every May when the Met is happening and it's the jumping off point for a bunch of the guests)

As far as what we know the visit was pretty low key for 3 days until somebody tipped the paps off that she was staying at her friends house and it then became a security issue because of the loons that populate the interwebs - one of the conspiracy theorists wack jobs did turn up by the way to try to get close enough to 'snatch that fake belly off of her '
Which makes sense. The hotel while likely happy to host Meghan, is still a business with many other clients. The press pen not only helps for security measures, but also clears the way for guests coming and going.
Old 02-24-2019, 09:35 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

The off-topic discussion about William and Kate, the Middletons, the Yorks, Ben Affleck and Roger Federer, has been deleted. This thread is about Harry and Meghan and not a place to compare members of the BRF. Stay on-topic, please.

Tags
duchess of sussex, duke of sussex, general news, meghan markle, prince harry