The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #361  
Old 04-10-2019, 09:35 AM
Osipi's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 13,826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
Truer words were never spoken. I would also add Instagram and the internet in general. Anyone can write a blog, say something on Instagram unchecked and the story just spreads.
What has changed over the years in regards to the internet is that we moved into the age of places like Facebook, Twitter and Instagram and its become the norm to post and comment on one's everyday activities such as what one made for dinner, what movie they recently saw and with whom and a place to express one's own opinion on things and the goal is to amass "followers" that are interested in what one does. A high profile person will amass "followers" by the millions (as we've seen with Harry and Meghan's Instagram) and it seems expected to know about every little thing they say and do as we're so used to knowing everything there is to know about anyone these days.

I do believe that Charles has said it best (and this was in the age before social media and the internet) when he stated "They've turned us into a bloody soap opera". Social media and instant communications has turned ordinary people from ordinary walks of life into soap opera script writers and its turning out to be quite a lucrative proposition.

Ooops. Gotta go. I forgot to post on my Facebook wall the cute thing my dog did last night. People are just dying to know.
__________________

__________________
No law can be sacred to me but that of my nature. Good and bad are but names very readily transferable to that or this; the only right is what is after my constitution, the only wrong what is against it.

~~~Ralph Waldo Emerson~~~
  #362  
Old 04-10-2019, 10:02 AM
Dman's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 15,499
Video:
Oprah talks about the horrible treatment Meghan hs received in the press-
https://mobile.twitter.com/suitablyf...59634337173505
__________________

__________________
"WE CANNOT PRAY IN LOVE AND LIVE IN HATE AND STILL THINK WE ARE WORSHIPING GOD."

A.W. TOZER
  #363  
Old 04-10-2019, 10:37 AM
Ista's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: the West, United States
Posts: 1,877
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
What has changed over the years in regards to the internet is that we moved into the age of places like Facebook, Twitter and Instagram and its become the norm to post and comment on one's everyday activities such as what one made for dinner, what movie they recently saw and with whom and a place to express one's own opinion on things and the goal is to amass "followers" that are interested in what one does. A high profile person will amass "followers" by the millions (as we've seen with Harry and Meghan's Instagram) and it seems expected to know about every little thing they say and do as we're so used to knowing everything there is to know about anyone these days.

I do believe that Charles has said it best (and this was in the age before social media and the internet) when he stated "They've turned us into a bloody soap opera". Social media and instant communications has turned ordinary people from ordinary walks of life into soap opera script writers and its turning out to be quite a lucrative proposition.

Ooops. Gotta go. I forgot to post on my Facebook wall the cute thing my dog did last night. People are just dying to know.
So true and very funny! (The dog comment..)

I think the important thing to remember is that what we actually know is not "everything there is to know," but a carefully curated image. It's one of the reasons I think Twitter, FB, IG, etc are so dangerous and so misleading. There is this false impression of intimacy and knowledge, when in truth what we "know" is the carefully crafted bits and pieces that have been chosen to set a narrative and create a picture. How accurate that picture is is debatable.
  #364  
Old 04-10-2019, 06:25 PM
Madame Verseau's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Louisville, United States
Posts: 1,445
The paps are tracking Tom Sr again. DM is claiming Dad and no Markles are coming to the UK for the birth.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...randchild.html

There are other stories that Dad has been quiet lately except the interview from the "friend". RRs are guessing palace staff have met up with him to "smooth things over". After the bad blood I wonder if the staff told Dad if he, Jr or Sam create any embarassing headlines or scandals around or on Baby Sussex's birth he will never see the baby?
  #365  
Old 04-10-2019, 06:50 PM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 6,786
Tom Snr has already said that he can't control what Samantha says and does as she's an adult. Sam has already recently been on a US TV show slamming Meghan again and will be releasing a book when the baby is born, so I don't think she's going to stop. I do think though that her father may have been spoken to by palace or consular staff.
  #366  
Old 04-10-2019, 07:18 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Wherever, United States
Posts: 5,874
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Verseau View Post
The paps are tracking Tom Sr again. DM is claiming Dad and no Markles are coming to the UK for the birth.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...randchild.html

There are other stories that Dad has been quiet lately except the interview from the "friend". RRs are guessing palace staff have met up with him to "smooth things over". After the bad blood I wonder if the staff told Dad if he, Jr or Sam create any embarassing headlines or scandals around or on Baby Sussex's birth he will never see the baby?
Why would anyone think he WOULD see the baby regardless? It only gives more potential problems in the future. I think the Sussexes releasing a statement with just Doria saying she’s looking forward to welcoming her first grandchild was telling enough. If they decided it was lost cause then, I doubt anything since would’ve changed their minds given what he has done since.
  #367  
Old 04-11-2019, 01:41 AM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Somewhere in, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,141
Funny how Tom Sr has so low expectations, after his 25 or so interviews, he doesn't give interviews for 3-4 months, and the tabloids start the guess game, that there are quiet negotiations going on. I personally don't believe it. The last interview he gave, he sold/gave Meghan's private letter to Dailymail and tried to play a victim to evil Meghan and Harry. He hasn't publicly apologised. He still holds the same views he always has. He hasn't proven to be trustworthy. Imho there are no negotiations or private meetings going, and if there are going to be any, they'll happen after the baby is born and christened.
  #368  
Old 04-11-2019, 07:23 AM
MaiaMia_53's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 1,636
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ista View Post
... I think the important thing to remember is that what we actually know is not "everything there is to know," but a carefully curated image. It's one of the reasons I think Twitter, FB, IG, etc are so dangerous and so misleading. There is this false impression of intimacy and knowledge, when in truth what we "know" is the carefully crafted bits and pieces that have been chosen to set a narrative and create a picture. How accurate that picture is is debatable.
I agree. Their public images are certainly curated. I don't believe they even told us everything exactly about how they actually met. They surely were in some kind of contact prior to early July 2016, when they said they first met in-person 'on a blind date.' Social media is so prevalent, so they surely looked each other up and possibly texted each other prior to the day they met. And there's been some unsubstantiated rumors that they may have first met briefly in May 2016, in Toronto. Since Meghan had at that point recently broken up with her former boyfriend (Cory Vitiello), Harry & Meghan possibly wished to not fuel further innuendo about the timing of their meeting being close to when Meghan split with Vitiello.

Meghan was an excellent curator of her Tig website and her former Instagram. She was largely discreet about personal issues, but she was also much more accessible as an actor on a popular cable tv series. She was engaging and outspoken on issues that interested her, and she shared a lot of fun pictures of her travels with friends, her dogs, and she regularly provided a generally up-to-date account of her life (always carefully curated). Seeing glimpses of her apartment, food, flowers, books, shoes in her closet, inspirational quotes she loves, her vacations, having silly fun with friends, sharing loving pics with her mother, tributes to her father, and so many adorable pictures of her dogs, was so lovely. I miss that Meghan and the freedom she had. But it's my bittersweet lamenting, not Meghan's.

I believe Meghan has willingly moved on and into this royal life because she's in love. And the perks for her outweighed the sacrifices. Plus she can handle the ups-and-downs. She's not a wallflower. It's the nature of who she fell in love with, which has changed forever how open she can be. The press is way too clamoring and intrusive. Even though she will surely remain outspoken on charitable and women's issues that she's passionate about, she's been extremely careful nonetheless, but in a gracious way. She's very skilled at it too, as we can see by how she conducted herself during the QCT panel discussion at King's College on International Women's Day.

Due to what happened to his mother, Harry was already leery of the press, but the OTT negativity that began with the H&M courtship and that has continued throughout Meghan's pregnancy has surely turned Harry off on being magnimous in any way whatsoever. I believe the two of them might have been slightly more accommodating had the press not overstepped their bounds so much and so relentlessly. As with the Markles, there has been a point of no return.
  #369  
Old 04-11-2019, 10:40 AM
soapstar's Avatar
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Hermosa Beach, United States
Posts: 5,269
A number of posts have been moved to the 'British Royal Family Documentaries' thread.
__________________
  #370  
Old 04-12-2019, 05:33 PM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: *******, Canada
Posts: 8,728
Meghan's uncle has released some of her baby pictures

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...hotograph.html
  #371  
Old 04-12-2019, 05:42 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Wherever, United States
Posts: 5,874
These people just keep proving Meghan was right to not invite them.
  #372  
Old 04-12-2019, 06:15 PM
ACO ACO is online now
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: New York, United States
Posts: 2,248
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
Meghan's uncle has released some of her baby pictures

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...hotograph.html
He sold pictures before. Not surprised he is back at it. Anything for some money. And these people wonder why Meghan wants nothing to do with them. Way to prove why she has no interest in having relationships with them.

Not to mention he admitted back in 2017 he hasn't talked to Doria or Meghan in years. What does he think selling personal pictures of Doria still in the hospital after giving birth will do?

I feel bad for Doria because talk about a violation.
  #373  
Old 04-12-2019, 06:23 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Wherever, United States
Posts: 5,874
Here's what boggles my mind. According to him, Doria and him haven't been in contact for years, why was his wife "miffed" at not being invited to Doria's daughter's wedding?
  #374  
Old 04-12-2019, 06:26 PM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,953
It's so strange that she ignores everyone from BOTH sides of her family. They can't ALL be in the wrong.
  #375  
Old 04-12-2019, 06:31 PM
ACO ACO is online now
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: New York, United States
Posts: 2,248
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophie25 View Post
It's so strange that she ignores everyone from BOTH sides of her family. They can't ALL be in the wrong.
And yet... this shows clearly there is a lot of wrong in this family. He admits he last saw Meghan in 2000. That is almost 20 years ago. Yet they want to be in her life now? Give me a break. All they see of Meghan is a check.

Him selling this pictures of Doria is disgusting.
  #376  
Old 04-12-2019, 06:42 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Wherever, United States
Posts: 5,874
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophie25 View Post
It's so strange that she ignores everyone from BOTH sides of her family. They can't ALL be in the wrong.
I believe the reporting was that Doria took care of her mother until she passed away and Meghan spent time with her paternal grandmother regularly while she was sick. So it seems that there were family Meghan was close to, but perhaps not the extended family. And from what I've seen, I can't say I blame her.
  #377  
Old 04-12-2019, 06:45 PM
Osipi's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 13,826
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophie25 View Post
It's so strange that she ignores everyone from BOTH sides of her family. They can't ALL be in the wrong.
One can't choose which family they're born into but as a child grows up, that child can decide for himself who he wants to keep close as family and decide which family members he'd rather keep a good distance from. Meghan basically grew up with a whole lot of people on the outskirts of her life and as she made her own way in the world, found many of her relatives having a lot to be desired as far as who she wished to be close to.

It happens to all of us as we go through life. We remain close with those that we have a deep feeling of kinship with while others go their own way on their own roads. For a lot of Meghan's relatives, they probably would never had bothered about her again if she had just married a Joe the Plumber and set up housekeeping in Toledo, Ohio somewhere. Marrying a prince gave Meghan a coat with a very long tail and jumping on that tail promises to be a grand adventure of a ride (with perks).
__________________
No law can be sacred to me but that of my nature. Good and bad are but names very readily transferable to that or this; the only right is what is after my constitution, the only wrong what is against it.

~~~Ralph Waldo Emerson~~~
  #378  
Old 04-12-2019, 06:50 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: NYC, United States
Posts: 767
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
One can't choose which family they're born into but as a child grows up, that child can decide for himself who he wants to keep close as family and decide which family members he'd rather keep a good distance from. Meghan basically grew up with a whole lot of people on the outskirts of her life and as she made her own way in the world, found many of her relatives having a lot to be desired as far as who she wished to be close to.

It happens to all of us as we go through life. We remain close with those that we have a deep feeling of kinship with while others go their own way on their own roads. For a lot of Meghan's relatives, they probably would never had bothered about her again if she had just married a Joe the Plumber and set up housekeeping in Toledo, Ohio somewhere. Marrying a prince gave Meghan a coat with a very long tail and jumping on that tail promises to be a grand adventure of a ride (with perks).
Quite right. I always want to ask, which ones attended her first wedding, because if she hasn't spoken to you in 20 years, then that means you didn't attend her wedding in Jamaica, so what makes you think that you would attend this one?

This is also telling, because there is literal proof, video and pictures of one of Doria's nephews at the wedding with either his mom or girlfriend. It hasn't been confirmed by the Palace, but by people who recognised him.
  #379  
Old 04-12-2019, 06:53 PM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: N/A, United States
Posts: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophie25 View Post
It's so strange that she ignores everyone from BOTH sides of her family. They can't ALL be in the wrong.
They don't even speak to each other or their own families outside of Tom Sr and Samantha (and that is a bumpy relationship as well) so why would you think Meghan is the problem? We have seen them sell her out for a little bit of $$ maybe she knows they don't have her best interest at heart and stays clear of them.
  #380  
Old 04-12-2019, 06:56 PM
Abbigail's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Nashville, United States
Posts: 627
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophie25 View Post
It's so strange that she ignores everyone from BOTH sides of her family. They can't ALL be in the wrong.
Nothing strange about not being close to distant relatives or ones who have proven themselves toxic. She seems to have a great relationship with her mom, who has only shown herself to be incredibly discreet and graceful. That tells me all I need to know.
__________________

Closed Thread

Tags
duchess of sussex, duke of sussex, general news, meghan markle, prince harry


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Duke and Duchess of Sussex, General News 2: December 2018 - February 2019 soapstar Current Events Archive 675 02-20-2019 05:26 PM




Popular Tags
archie mountbatten-windsor aristocracy armenia bavaria;house;chef;luitpold;ludwig belgian royal family birthday celebration bracelets charles of wales countess of snowdon countess of wessex crown prince hussein crown prince hussein's future wife crusades current events cypher denmark discusso duchess of cambridge duchess of sussex duke & duchess of cambridge; duke of sussex family search felipe vi french royalty general news germany hamdan bin mohammed head of the house henry v house of bernadotte house of saxe-coburg and gotha jack brooksbank jerusalem letter lineage lithuania lithuanian castles marriage meghan markle mohammed vi monaco christening monarchism nelson mandela bay official visit pakistan palaces patron prince harry prince of wales prince peter princess benedikte princess royal queen paola romanov family royal royal tour rumania shakespeare sharjah siblings spain spanish royal state visit sweden swedish history trump usa valois viscount severn windy city



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:10 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2019
Jelsoft Enterprises