The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-12-2019, 11:07 PM
Commoner

You know, amidst all the discussion of the duties Meghan's been given and what she's worn and all the speculation on every topic under the sun, I find that what I really would like to know is what she reads.

I understand why the Queen keeps her politics to herself and I agree with that. I also agree with the rest of the royal family following suit. But why do Meghan and Kate have to be represented as if their heads are hatstands?

I understand that Kate has upper second-class honours in art history from St. Andrews, (statistically the rank most students achieve and the minimum requirement of most major employers). Meghan has a dual Bachelor of Arts in Theater and International Relations from Northwestern University. We don't know how well she did because most US universities don't publicize grades against the wishes of alumni but we do know she failed the Foreign Service Officer Test. She has my sympathy.

So we know they can read. But why can't we know what they read? Is that thought of as too close to political expression?

Old 03-12-2019, 11:16 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownPrincessJava View Post
I agree - I believe this leak was sanctioned by Samantha and her father to force a reconciliation. Good luck - Meghan is formidable.

Mr. Markle sort of forced her to be formidable when he blabbed to the tabloids about some political opinions of Harry's. He's proved repeatedly that he'll sell out his own child for tabloid money.

Old 03-12-2019, 11:50 PM
Administrator

Mr. Markle has five other grandchildren that he does not see on a regular, so I am not sure why Baby Sussex is different. I have my suspicions but there you go.

I also don't believe the story..I can see Meghan potentially seeking reconciliation with the father yes...Samantha...no. I am of the opinion that Meghan and Thomas could have healed their relationship if other factors were not in play. They had a decent relationship until Paparazzi Gate....

Though I do think something is up...I used to follow her on Twitter and she blocked me. And I was never disrespectful, never rude, just made rational statements...and than I was Zonked!

Old 03-12-2019, 11:54 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
I don't think it would be wise for Meghan to reconcile with Samantha. If ... Sam were to see any ... royals or ... Palaces she would IMO be making hay out of this for eternity. And she is likely to turn at any moment .. and start spitting venom again.

Thomas is a bit different. I do think he has been influenced by Sam to do things he wouldn't normally have done. If he sees Harry and Meghan and gets a handle on things I believe he could and would keep quiet for good. He does at least have some genuine affection for Meghan.
I don't see how Samantha influenced him to sell Harry's political opinions to the press. And I don't believe that no one -- not Harry, Meghan or Doria -- warned him about this.

The man isn't ignorant. He worked near celebrities for many years. He had a successful career. He was on the inside, witnessing events or hearing the inside stories and seeing them covered in tabloids. He circulated in that environment most of his adult life. He can't be unaware of how things work. When he was warned to keep quiet, he there's no way he could have misunderstood. Doria didn't.

I wish they could make up. Meghan's children deserve two grandfathers to look up to. But Mr. Markle has repeatedly shown himself untrustworthy.

If Mr. Markle wants Meghan back, why doesn't he earn back her trust? This may seem cruel but he seems selfish to me. Either he's after tabloid money or he's only concerned with his pain and not considering the pain, anxiety and distress he's causing Meghan, the family she married into, and his grandchildren.
Old 03-13-2019, 12:13 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oona View Post
You know, amidst all the discussion of the duties Meghan's been given and what she's worn and all the speculation on every topic under the sun, I find that what I really would like to know is what she reads.

I understand why the Queen keeps her politics to herself and I agree with that. I also agree with the rest of the royal family following suit. But why do Meghan and Kate have to be represented as if their heads are hatstands?

I understand that Kate has upper second-class honours in art history from St. Andrews, (statistically the rank most students achieve and the minimum requirement of most major employers). Meghan has a dual Bachelor of Arts in Theater and International Relations from Northwestern University. We don't know how well she did because most US universities don't publicize grades against the wishes of alumni but we do know she failed the Foreign Service Officer Test. She has my sympathy.

So we know they can read. But why can't we know what they read? Is that thought of as too close to political expression?
I’m sure they read, but they haven’t publicly stated what they’re reading.

A.W. TOZER
Old 03-13-2019, 12:47 AM
Majesty

The only reference to Meghan's reading tastes came in 2016, with this list which appeared on The Tig.

http://www.meghansmirror.com/meghan-markle-book/
Old 03-13-2019, 01:32 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
I’m sure they read, but they haven’t publicly stated what they’re reading.
During the panel discussion at King's College celebrating International Women's Day, Meghan mentioned that she reads The Economist. I would also suspect that she might read The Nation and perhaps The Atlantic Monthly (maybe Mother Jones, The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, and perhaps Ms magazine which is about feminism). Meghan said she steers completely clear of social media, celebrity and entertainment news weeklies and tabloids (obviously).

Before marrying into the British royal family, Meghan likely used to read industry publications like The Hollywood Reporter, Entertainment Weekly, Vanity Fair, Time, and Newsweek. I would bet she still reads selective parts of fashion magazines such as Glamour, Vogue and/or British Vogue, British Elle, Women's Wear Daily, et al. And since she's highly intelligent, there are surely a variety of other highbrow publications and/or academic journals that Meghan reads, in addition to philanthropic literature. In addition to her September 2017 Vanity Fair cover story, Meghan was also featured in Men's Health, Best Health Canada, Miami Living, Glamour, and Chicago's lifestyle magazine, Splash. She also appeared on the cover of travel magazine, Jumeirah, in the pages of a hairstyling magazine for Wella Professional products, and she modeled for the Australian online magazine, Gritty Pretty. Maybe she reads Yoga Journal.

Since Meghan was previously fairly high profile on social media, there are significant other clues to books Meghan has read and highly values since they were featured in Instagram posts on her bookshelf, coffee table, bed or sofa, and/ or were mentioned on her Tig lifestyle website. As I've previously mentioned, there's still a lot out there about Meghan, aside from total crap, which gives clues to her passions and interests. This is the case because she lived a full, accessible life before meeting Prince Harry.

Meghan's Mirror is an excellent site to peruse if you are interested in Meghan. It's not just a fashion blog. They cover quite a lot about Meghan's former Tig and interesting details about her former travel, beauty regimen, product preferences, recipes, etc. Here's a link to a feature on Meghan's Reading List (as Curryong also noted), which provides a significant list of books Meghan displayed in her home: http://www.meghansmirror.com/meghan-markle-book/

Not on the list are some books I've seen on Meghan's former Instagram: What Pretty Girls Are Made Of, a novel by Lindsay Roth (Meghan's friend from college). The book was inspired by Meghan. Also, We Are Not Ourselves, a novel by Matthew Thomas; Fates and Furies, a novel by Lauren Groff; and Vanity Fair's Hollywood. You can go to Youtube and look up "Meghan's Instagram." There's a fast version and a slow version showing screen caps of some of her posts that were still up before she deleted her account. She had a delightful, well-curated Instagram. Meghan's former Instagram screen caps also feature the many quotes and words of wisdom she loved to post. She especially posted a lot of sayings and poems by Tyler Knott Gregson:
https://www.instagram.com/tylerknott/?hl=en
Old 03-13-2019, 04:30 AM
Nobility

The DF should always be taken with a whole mountain of salt. I don't think there's any way Meghan's friends who spoke to People would leak to that rag after the way they've treated her since the beginning. If there is a real source at all it's Samantha or Thomas himself.

It's possible she is hoping for a reconciliation with her father down the line but I hope it's once he's proved he won't leak anything they say or write to him to the press. Leaking that private letter about her pain over his actions was the last straw for a while, but babies *can* be great family healers, we'll see.
Old 03-13-2019, 07:03 AM
Serene Highness

Other reason I think the Fails story is fiction:

Tom Jr is left out of the reunion.
Sam is on Scotland Yard's fixated persons list. Jr has current legal trouble.

Dad has no known relationship with his five other grandchildren but wants one with this one. Like Zonk I have my thoughts. Sr may get to see Baby Sussex if he cuts Sam and Jr out of his life for good but even that may not be enough.
Old 03-13-2019, 05:17 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Verseau View Post
Sam is on Scotland Yard's fixated persons list.
This woman has children; how does it feel to have your mum achieve that particular distinction? What is she thinking?

The more I learn about Mr. Markle and His Other Daughter (Samantha), the more I agree with the course of action Meghan's taken and the less I want them soiling the inside of my head.
Old 03-13-2019, 05:37 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I think there may come a time in the future where communication between Meghan and her father is reestablished but it will be done privately and not make any front pages on any tabloid or media sites. In fact, I would wager that even Samantha will not be aware of it.

Too much has happened to expect Meghan to bring Tom Sr. into the fold in the UK grandchild or no grandchild. Meghan knows how seriously the British royal family takes their security and their privacy and with being part of that, she will probably realize that this is the way things need to be.

With Grandpa in Rosario, Mexico, there may be photo swapping and perhaps video chatting so Grandpa can see his grandchild on a secure connection and as Tom seems relatively OK with living in Mexico away from *all* his kids and grandkids, this could be a happy resolution.

We'll see what what happens but then again, maybe we won't.
No law can be sacred to me but that of my nature. Good and bad are but names very readily transferable to that or this; the only right is what is after my constitution, the only wrong what is against it.

~~~Ralph Waldo Emerson~~~
Old 03-13-2019, 05:49 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
I don't think it would be wise for Meghan to reconcile with Samantha. If she and her father were to be invited over to England for the christening of Baby Sussex and Sam were to see any of the royals or the inside of any of the Palaces she would IMO be making hay out of this for eternity. And she is likely to turn at any moment, however she has been treated and start spitting venom again.

Thomas is a bit different. I do think he has been influenced by Sam to do things he wouldn't normally have done. If he sees Harry and Meghan and gets a handle on things I believe he could and would keep quiet for good. He does at least have some genuine affection for Meghan.
Does he have genuine affection? I am being serious. I am of the mindset he is not being manipulated by Samantha. I think this has always been Thomas Sr. It has become clear that his relationship with Meghan has been a bit strained for a few years. Cue #1 is the fact Harry never met him yet he clearly had a relationship with Doria and her close friends. That says it all.

Thomas is her father and didn't think twice of bad mouthing her and Doria to the press and has exploited her numerous time. That was 100% his decision. He knew she didn't want him and he said he "had to became it had to fix his image" so it was all about his ego.

Meghan is wise to keep her distance. It is no longer just about her but about her child. That baby does not need that drama.
Old 03-13-2019, 07:00 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaiaMia_53 View Post
... Meghan mentioned that she reads The Economist ... she might read The Nation and perhaps The Atlantic Monthly (maybe Mother Jones, The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, and perhaps Ms magazine which is about feminism).

... Meghan likely used to read industry publications like The Hollywood Reporter, Entertainment Weekly, Vanity Fair, Time, and Newsweek. I would bet she still reads parts of ... Glamour, Vogue and/or British Vogue, British Elle, Women's Wear Daily, et al. And since she's highly intelligent, there are surely a variety of other highbrow publications and/or academic journals that Meghan reads, in addition to philanthropic literature. In addition to her September 2017 Vanity Fair cover story, Meghan was also featured in Men's Health, Best Health Canada, Miami Living, Glamour, and Chicago's lifestyle magazine, Splash... (and) on the cover of travel magazine, Jumeirah, in the pages of a hairstyling magazine for Wella Professional products, and she modeled for the Australian online magazine, Gritty Pretty. Maybe she reads Yoga Journal.

... significant other clues to books Meghan has read ... were featured in Instagram posts ... or were mentioned on her Tig lifestyle website...

Meghan's Mirror is an excellent site ... It's not just a fashion blog ... Here's a link to a feature on Meghan's Reading List (as Curryong also noted), which provides a significant list of books Meghan displayed in her home: What's on Meghan Markle's Reading List? - Meghan's Mirror

Not on the list are some books I've seen on Meghan's former Instagram: What Pretty Girls Are Made Of, a novel by Lindsay Roth (Meghan's friend from college). The book was inspired by Meghan. Also, We Are Not Ourselves, a novel by Matthew Thomas; Fates and Furies, a novel by Lauren Groff; and Vanity Fair's Hollywood. You can go to Youtube and look up (a fast or slow version of) "Meghan's Instagram."... showing screen caps of some of her posts that were still up before she deleted her account. She had a delightful, well-curated Instagram. Meghan's former Instagram screen caps also feature the many quotes and words of wisdom she loved to post. She especially posted a lot of sayings and poems by Tyler Knott Gregson:
https://www.instagram.com/tylerknott/?hl=en

Thank you for the effort you put into such a thorough response, MaiaMia. I've never been a celebrity-watcher so I wasn't familiar with Meghan's life in Canada. As I continue reading about the Commonwealth, I will also read all of these things, too, to get a picture of what she was like before she took this enormous leap into a new social class and alien culture.

I have to say that this new leap, how she's accomplishing it, and how she's experiencing it, interest me more than her outfit du jour*. I just want to put out the ripple that there are those of us who are interested in Meghan, the woman drawn to international service, and not just Meghan, the woman helping prop up the fascinator industry.

*She sure wears those outfits well, though. AmIrightorwhat?
Old 03-13-2019, 08:42 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
I don't think having a private jet for a cross-atlantic flight is normal; not even among most European royalty. It probably differs a bit between royal families but I believe most would use a normal scheduled flight for long distances. So, what your point of reference for considering that normal? Or do you think that Harry and Meghan have been doing that all the time while they were dating (given your sentence about staying under the radar)? It wasn't Harry's typical way of traveling previously.

And I do understand that it were her friends who organized it; nonetheless, it again highlights that prior to Harry she (purposively) mingled in those circles and might suggest that she was actively looking for celebrity-type friends.
My point of reference was that in the private aviation business, planes are routinely in the wrong place, therefore, they often travel "empty" around the world. Because of this situation they also ferry approved people, friends or VIP's, cargo and even aid as cargo when they do because they are empty.

The unkind words about Meghan's valuing people by virtue of their pocket or status is both uncorroborated and unkind.
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Heather_ View Post
Exactly this. And while we're never going to be told about it, I suspect that behind the scenes there's pushback already, or will be, about her friends being so open with the media, companies not being made to sign NDAs and therefore allowed to name drop her, etc. The one thing the British royal family doesn't do is to allow themselves to be surrounded by indiscrete people who would sell them out or speak to the media about them. And while I, along with many others, suspect that Meghan gave her consent to the story from People with five of her friends speaking out, I highly doubt that she consented to the comments being made to publications about her shower, what they did and how much it was exactly what she needed, etc. and I would imagine that she'll see a strong urging from the family about the need to choose her friends carefully, cut out those that are indiscrete, etc.
Strangely enough, I don't think that a lot of royals used to employ Non-Disclosure Contracts. I am not sure how enforceable they are in the UK but after the first royal attache, butler, secretary or whatever leaked private information I would have thought they would if they could.
Since the results of the great Kensington cleanup, with under accounts being responsible for over 70% of the trolling. But there is one thing I don't understand, those who say that when there's smoke there's fire.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunawalk View Post
Wow I though when her father release her private letter was the end of their relationship. If this story is true that would be great. It would be sad if Mr Markle missed seeing his new grandchild. They love each other I hope in time they can rebuild their relationship. So I am keeping my fingers crossed.
The "friend" quoted in the DM is as believable as my great-niece's invisible friend. It gets her into no end of trouble.

Bottom line, there is no evidence that Harry or Meghan have ever approved their friends permission to speak to the media and I personally believe that the day that the Daily Mail is the publication of choice?
Old 03-13-2019, 08:50 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
This woman has children; how does it feel to have your mum achieve that particular distinction? What is she thinking?

The more I learn about Mr. Markle and His Other Daughter (Samantha), the more I agree with the course of action Meghan's taken and the less I want them soiling the inside of my head.
Her oldest two she had little part of their life growing up. Christopher and Ashleigh were raised by their grandparents. Perhaps why they seem to be the only sensible functioning adults on the Markle side of the family. Noelle has spoken out against her mother. Clearly she is embarrassed by the antics of her mother in the press.
Old 03-13-2019, 09:47 PM
Serene Highness

Omid Scobie responded on Twitter to someone asking about the olive.branch Meghan was suppose to offer : not true.

A curiuos thing about Sam's older kids. Their dad's parents had custody of them. Why didn't Dad get custody? And why was Sam referred to as the step sister in DM?
Old 03-13-2019, 10:03 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
....And why was Sam referred to as the step sister in DM?..
Cause tabloids often get the details wrong...

LaRae
Old 03-13-2019, 10:37 PM
Courtier

Quote:

The duchess of Sussex has mentioned that she reads the Economist newsmagazine (but not Twitter) but we do not know the contents of her personal library beyond the pictures that were taken in her Toronto home when she was still active on Instagram. What I recall seeing were 'table top' books on fashion, art and lifestyle; these were her interests of course at the time. I am certain she has now invested in meatier fare and envy her choice of London bookstores!

Quote:
Thank you for the effort you put into such a thorough response, MaiaMia. I've never been a celebrity-watcher so I wasn't familiar with Meghan's life in Canada. As I continue reading about the Commonwealth, I will also read all of these things, too, to get a picture of what she was like before she took this enormous leap into a new social class and alien culture.

I have to say that this new leap, how she's accomplishing it, and how she's experiencing it, interest me more than her outfit du jour*. I just want to put out the ripple that there are those of us who are interested in Meghan, the woman drawn to international service, and not just Meghan, the woman helping prop up the fascinator industry.

*She sure wears those outfits well, though. AmIrightorwhat?
I will join you in that ripple; I too am less interested in look and more in what it all means!
Old 03-13-2019, 11:15 PM
Majesty

I wouldn't be at all surprised to find that since 2017 Meghan has been reading books on Britain, the royal family and its history, as well as a lot on the British Commonwealth and the realms. Not sure how much she knew before but the more knowledge the better.
Old 03-14-2019, 01:03 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

A few speculative comments about the Markles have been deleted. Let’s please stick to factual information. Thanks.

Tags
duchess of sussex, duke of sussex, general news, meghan markle, prince harry