Duke and Duchess of Sussex, General News 2: December 2018 - February 2019

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't care who's doing the spending my opinion of it is the same.

So this applies to Meghan, her friends and any and everyone of means?

What is a lot to one person is a drop in the bucket to another. It depends on what you have to spend to begin with. That doesn’t just apply to the wealthy either.

I think there’s an excellent chance that the hotel comped the suite for the party. And Meghan probably stayed in more modest quarters.

Not sure how that makes it any better... I think that someone in MEg's positon should avoid the appearance of conspicuous consumption..

Meghan is not "on the Net." She was until she and Harry became serious and then she shut down her Tig blog and her Instagram. She can't be accountable for the Internet sites that discuss her.

I mean that there are endless stories about her on the Net and in the newspapers and endless minute discussion of her...

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure how that makes it any better... I think that someone in MEg's positon should avoid the appearance of conspicuous consumption..

Then I guess she and every other royal should be wearing much cheaper clothes and shoes and jewelry all the time as a starting point....but then they would get knocked for not dressing nicely enough in a way that suits their position....

Just Meghan? Or all members of the BRF?

There are plenty of examples of conspicuous consumption by most of them.

I mean that there are endless stories about her on the Net and in the newspapers and endless minute discussion of her...
You mean the baseless gossip that's really character assassination? Not the same.

I don't understand what it is that's getting under some people's skin.

Meghan is American so she's having a baby shower thrown by her friends. I doubt most British people will get their knickers in a twist about a private event that's culturally American. We've managed to cope with all the German traditions introduced by the Hanovers & Saxe-Coburgs so a baby shower is peanuts (& people have started having them here too).

It's in NYC - well so what? Most of her friends are on that side of the pond so she's on a short visit. Do people expect her never to visit them? Of course they don't. Loads of Brits visit the US for holidays, party weekends, Disney trips etc. It's not the moon!

It's in a swanky hotel. Well of course it is because her friends can afford it. Did anyone expect McDonalds? I don't think so. Brits are used to seeing our royal family hold private celebrations at top London hotels. Guests are seen arriving in designer clothes while carrying expensively gift-wrapped presents. No one faints with shock when this happens. We also hold celebrations in hotels ourselves, according to our own budgets. Not everything in the UK happens down the pub or in the village hall. We can cope with swanky for special days.

So I hope she's having a great time with her friends. It's the quality of those friendships that will mean most to her now & for the years ahead.

There must be a clash of cultures going on in this thread.

1. Meghan did not pay for her shower, her friends did.

2. The British and the American have different tastes when it comes to money.
In America, if you make your money and pay your taxes, you can spend it anyway you want as long as it's legal. It's not vulgarity, it's called "I worked my ass off, and if I want to treat myself or my friend, I will do so without anyone trying to shame me for it." I can absolutely guarantee that Meghan's American friends are thinking the same thing.

3. I won't tell the British how to behave regarding what they find tasteful or not. My English grandmother would rise out of her grave and slap the taste out of my mouth. However, disparaging another culture and calling a tradition that is supposed to be filled with fun and laughter for a new expectant mother vulgar is hitting below the belt.

Just Meghan? Or all members of the BRF?

There are plenty of examples of conspicuous consumption by most of them.

Someon in Meg's positon obviously means royals in her position. And while we know that they are all super rich, not all of them show it so much.
And how is that Meghan's fault?

I didn't say it was her fault, I said that we see plenty of her....

I don't understand what it is that's getting under some people's skin.

Meghan is American so she's having a baby shower thrown by her friends. I doubt most British people will get their knickers in a twist about a private event that's culturally American. We've managed to cope with all the German traditions introduced by the Hanovers & Saxe-Coburgs so a baby shower is peanuts (& people have started having them here too).

It's in NYC - well so what? Most of her friends are on that side of the pond so she's on a short visit. Do people expect her never to visit them? Of course they don't. Loads of Brits visit the US for holidays, party weekends, Disney trips etc. It's not the moon!

It's in a swanky hotel. Well of course it is because her friends can afford it. Did anyone expect McDonalds? I don't think so. Brits are used to seeing our royal family hold private celebrations at top London hotels. Guests are seen arriving in designer clothes while carrying expensively gift-wrapped presents. No one faints with shock when this happens. We also hold celebrations in hotels ourselves, according to our own budgets. Not everything in the UK happens down the pub or in the village hall. We can cope with swanky for special days.

So I hope she's having a great time with her friends. It's the quality of those friendships that will mean most to her now & for the years ahead.

This and more.

RE the bold: not only expensive swanky hotels but palaces and castles and estate houses. OH MY!

Yes...it's still snowing a bit, but it's not as bad as was predicted. However, they will probably need to D-ice the runway and turbulence out of NYC will be bad for maybe the first 30 minutes of the flight if she leaves tonight. If she leaves tomorrow, then it should be smooth sailing.

No, Meghan is not paying for this shower. It’s being thrown by her friends. Good friends that’s showing her some good love and support.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom