Duke and Duchess of Sussex, General News 2: December 2018 - February 2019

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
IMO Meghan is playing the full Hollywood game of a B or C list star, only that it won’t work in Britain and with the BRF. When I saw the ‚hit the ground running‘ comment during her interview I thought that she‘s really, really full of herself what is not a bad thing for the job she used to hold.
Given that previous trips remained private, I guess this is just the royal superstar behind sunglasses seeking attention. It won’t do her any favors in her new adopted country.
The show will continue and the tabloids and spectators have their popcorn ready.

You should probably go back and read what actually happened on this trip before you accuse the Duchess of playing with fire. It's ironic that we are so quick to state that she staged this (when others have been photographed going to and from private events all over the world), instead of...

You know what. I give up. I spelt this out in previous posts, but some just choose what to believe. The only thing that she "messed up" was the length of the trip. It should have been only about 3 days. The lady was in NYC for nearly 4 days out of her 5 day trip without anyone knowing. One person who works at a restaurant calls Page Six in NYC, and here we are. But I'm done.

Too celebrity looking for my tastes with the sunglasses and all. Looks like a Kardashian here not a royal.

I don't live in New York but it was very, very sunny driving into work this morning where I live-I needed my sunglasses today. Sunglasses are not "celebrity"-they keep the sun out of your eyes and are recommended by eye doctors.

"The American Optometric Association says you should always don sunglasses during the daylight hours because: They protect your eyes against the sun's UV rays, which could otherwise lead to cataracts. They protect against "blue light" from the solar spectrum, which could increase your risk of macular degeneration."

Last edited:
According to Entertainment Tonight Doria was not at the baby shower... but there will be a second baby shower in London.

Yes the Daily Mail papped Doria walling her dog earlier. This trip was clearly about her friends. She was with Jessica earlier in the week. She was with Mischa Nonoo last night where she was caught leaving her home. Today she was with Abigail. Doria will likely will attend the shower in London and stay.

I know the press in the US is different, particularly with the privacy aspect of things. But Meghan has flown under the radar before, as DOS, and she was with Henry without anyone knowing for a while.

As I said, there are ways and means to make a visit like this actually private. How did the press know she was going? Where she was staying? Who released the information? If nobody knows you're going, nobody knows you're there. Without hacking plane manifests or stalking every hotel in NY, they simply couldn't have found without already knowing where she was.

It was private and unknown that she was in the city until she was recognized in a restaurant and that person notified the newspaper. Then it was paparazzi heaven.

They went to Africa without anyone finding out.

There were photos of Meghan and Harry at the airport on one African trip (August 2017.)

Last edited by a moderator:
It’s good that Duchess Meghan was able to spend some private time with her close friends, some of whom she has been friends with for many years.

No one forced the media to cover her trip, there were plenty of other events to cover. It’s ironic that some here & in the media claim that Meghan, married to the sixth in line is irrelevant, yet here you are posting about her, instead of those who you consider more important.

Hope Duchess Meghan enjoyed her time & has safe travels back home to her wonderful Prince Harry.

Perhaps as she has been in NY since Friday she has kept her meetings with friends within the confines of the Hotel. All Hotels today have very nice lounging rooms and coffee bars. It was the fact she went out that was her downfall with Baby Sussex Bump probably giving the game away, as confirmation that yes the person I am looking at - Is the Duchess.
That is the problem with being in the public interest, you become a virtual prisoner of your surroundings unless you want to take the risk of the press finding you out.

Meghan could have been spotted in her hotel restaurant by anyone else eating there and the press notified.

I agree, Baby Sussex probably made it easier to identify Meghan currently.:lol:

Last edited:
It’s good that Duchess Meghan was able to spend some private time with her close friends, some of whom she has been friends with for many years.

No one forced the media to cover her trip, there were plenty of other events to cover. It’s ironic that some here & in the media claim that Meghan, married to the sixth in line is irrelevant, yet here you are posting about her, instead of those who you consider more important.

Hope Duchess Meghan enjoyed her time & has safe travels back home to her wonderful Prince Harry.

I agree totally - I could not have said it better.:whistling:

Meghan could have been spotted in her hotel restaurant by anyone else eating there and the press notified.

She was noticed at the French Tea house Laduree in Soho by one of the employees in the restaurant. That employee contacted Page Six in NYC. Page Six wrote about it in their gossip column. Paps smell blood, and staked out NYC hotels and possible spots. I actually witnessed this as I live around the area on the Upper East Side and spotted them camped out at least 5 hotels. Daily Mail paps (or independent photographers who sold to the highest bidder being Daily Mail) got the money shot and the rest is history or Bob's your uncle!

I agree, Baby Sussex probably made it easier to identify Meghan currently.:lol:

Plus her rings...the first pic I saw her face was more hidden and it was from the side/back position, couldn't see the belly...but her left hand with her engagement ring was a give away.

LaRae

Yep and apparently everyone here (or almost everyone) forgot when William went to a stag party in Memphis and was photo'd going out and about...he didn't stay hidden in a hotel.

I can't believe folks are getting down on her because she didn't sneak out the back door.

Personally I think it was smart of her security/press people to get control of things and allow a photo op and she was coming/going. So she wasn't chased around with them trying to get the elusive shots.

LaRae

Her late mother-in-law's boyfriend had them leave a Paris hotel out the back door-that was a really bad decision.

I agree, it was better that Meghan went out the front door, let them get their photos and go on her way. Definitely more dignified than trying to sneak around.

She was noticed at the French Tea house Laduree in Soho by one of the employees in the restaurant. That employee contacted Page Six in NYC. Page Six wrote about it in their gossip column. Paps smell blood, and staked out NYC hotels and possible spots. I actually witnessed this as I live around the area on the Upper East Side and spotted them camped out at least 5 hotels. Daily Mail paps (or independent photographers who sold to the highest bidder being Daily Mail) got the money shot and the rest is history or Bob's your uncle!

I know that that the tea house was the source. But another poster said she probably had stayed in her hotel at its lounges and coffee bars and that's why she wasn't spotted sooner. I was pointing out she could just as easily been recognized at her hotel restaurant by another diner.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know that that the tea house was the source. But another poster said she probably had stayed in her hotel at its lounges and coffee bars and that's why she wasn't spotted sooner. I was pointing out she could just as easily been recognized at her hotel restaurant by another diner.

Yes...you are absolutely right.

Her late mother-in-law's boyfriend had them leave a Paris hotel out the back door-that was a really bad decision.

I agree, it was better that Meghan went out the front door, let them get their photos and go on her way. Definitely more dignified than trying to sneak around.

That's exactly what I was thinking when I wrote it...if only they had just gone out the front and had things organized ...let them get their pics and then leave.

LaRae

When The Queen has attended private celebrations at public restaurants, she has been photographed entering and leaving via the main entrance. It makes sense to control the crowd to go out via a main entrance where appropriate barriers were in place & easy access to the main road.

If you read the DM article it appears they also staked out her friends w/ NY addresses - they reported what time a couple of them left and returned to places, including that one left, had a salad for lunch and returned to work :)
Meghan and Harry were outed on the 2017 Africa trip because some one snapped a pix and sold it. William and Catherine were found by that photographer in the private chateau in France which led to those infamous photos. I think 90% of the time the Royals slip under the radar because most people are decent and don’t rush to make a quick buck by selling their location to the vultures, but there’s occasionally going to be a bad apple who throws them under the bus, as happened w/ this trip.
It’s not like Meghan went to a basketball game like Eugenie did in NY or the New York open tennis like Beatrice did in NY guaranteeing they’d be papped.
The thing is, we don’t know how often the senior Royals successfully fly under the radar, it’s only when some one sells them out that we learn of these things.

If you read the DM article it appears they also staked out her friends w/ NY addresses - they reported what time a couple of them left and returned to places, including that one left, had a salad for lunch and returned to work :)
Meghan and Harry were outed on the 2017 Africa trip because some one snapped a pix and sold it. William and Catherine were found by that photographer in the private chateau in France which led to those infamous photos. I think 90% of the time the Royals slip under the radar because most people are decent and don’t rush to make a quick buck by selling their location to the vultures, but there’s occasionally going to be a bad apple who throws them under the bus, as happened w/ this trip.
It’s not like Meghan went to a basketball game like Eugenie did in NY or the New York open tennis like Beatrice did in NY guaranteeing they’d be papped.
The thing is, we don’t know how often the senior Royals successfully fly under the radar, it’s only when some one sells them out that we learn of these things.

Precisely. And these photographers make big bucks. Trust me when I say the Daily Mail paid a pretty penny to that photographer who got those pictures last night, and I'm talking about 4 figures, possibly 5. I know how these things work.

Precisely. And these photographers make big bucks. Trust me when I say the Daily Mail paid a pretty penny to that photographer who got those pictures last night, and I'm talking about 4 figures, possibly 5. I know how these things work.

Which is why Arthur Edwards' comments about "the newspapers will stop reporting" if Harry and Meghan do not play ball with the RR's and give them more access had me laughing!:lol: Who is he kidding! Meghan generates too many clicks which equal money! If Arthur Edwards don't want to show up...there are a lot of paparazzi who will replace him .. just look at what's happening in New York!:whistling:

Meghan was discovered at Misha Nonoo's home last night. They also photographed Misha at her home again this morning. So yes the pap agencies had their photographers all over NYC looking for Meghan. It is no surprise she was discovered.

NYC or Paris or Podunk. If there's an interest in someone and there are gobs of people that make a living taking photographs of said people of interest, where you find one, you'll find the other. That's the nature of the beast.

We've seen, by example, how handling a situation such as this can mean the difference between life and death. Its all about how its handled and in this case, Meghan's security handled it safely. The paps got their pictures of a woman that failed to acknowledge them and ran the gauntlet as if they were a swarm of gnats.

All in all, Meghan had a private time with her friends and the purpose of the visit was accomplished. It was her down time and she wasn't being anyone but herself that probably giggled and laughed over those cute little onesies and the potty chair and baby quilts. No more and no less. It was a time where she wasn't on "display" or "performing" or "courting attention".

Its amusing to sit back sometimes and see how a simple picture of a woman walking to her car can incite in so many all kinds of fabricated nonsense of what her "inner motives" were. Personally, I think she was thinking "Oh! The car's over there. Good!" :D

Reactions: ACO
Meghan was there on a private trip. I don't see a need to sneek out back doors.

I don't see how this is Hollywood. As has been discussed before, even royal women wear sunglasses (Princess Anne certainly does) in the winter time. Nothing Anne does should ever be considered 'too Hollywood' :lol:

Its no different then if Kate had a baby shower thrown by friends and family. The only difference is that its in NY. Its not like she was having a 'destination' baby shower, like a bridal shower. The reality is the majority of Meghan's life friend wise is back in the US. Jessica was in NY for work, and others work near by in Toronto. Many of them are moms, and they have jobs as well. It would be easier for Meghan to come for a few days in NY, then they all come to her. I am sure her mom will be at the one in the UK since she couldn't come here.

The fact is even if she used back doors, she would never have hid. Unless she stayed in her hotel room the entire time. Someone was going to spot her at some point, even in her hotel. There was no help for it. The fact she lasted so long in NY before a photo shows how good she has got at avoiding press and being able to keep things private.

I'm confused why she should've snuck out of back or side doors. Just to avoid being papped? She wasn't doing anything scandalous, just exiting and entering buildings with her friends. That's it. Once she was spotted, the safest and smartest way to operate was to arrange barriers for the photographers to stand behind, and from a few videos I've seen, there was no hassle, it all went as smoothly as possible.

And nothing of this is too 'Hollywood'. All the royals have been pictured during private events, with their friends, families etc. None of them have been told to stay in their hotel rooms to avoid getting pictured.

Did Meghan or didn't she want her privacy.......everyone is talking about how Meghan came to NY for a baby shower under the radar and we all know that she and other royals do that from time to time and nothing wrong with that, yet this time in NY she came under the radar and stayed that way for a few days until someone whomever as we really don't know who it was that reported her to page 6 for we have NO proof who it was and we are only assuming something (it is really bad to assume something for facts tell the truth). So she was caught so to speak, if she wants her privacy to continue then go out the back door into a waiting car and that is NOT sneaking out the backdoor for that is IMO her still wanting her privacy which she had when first coming into NY to begin with.......IMO in walking out the front door into the mass of the media was giving into them......they got what they want and Meghan handed over the precious privacy that she had to begin with..

She worked in the entertainment industry and knows the ins and outs of avoiding the media with all kinds of different disguises, so why not use one of them to avoid the media, nobody is saying that there is poor Meghan having to hide from the media, it is all her choice of does she want her privacy or not. For me personally I would not give into the media come hell or high water after all the crap that they have been pulling (does it work both ways or just one way in whom gets what here), why give into them, so there were barriers and they got their pictures, and Meghan lost that precious privacy that she had to begin with, Meghan here is the loser and the media won for they got what they wanted........so it a few pictures, no big deal and she might have laughed silly in the car at the stupidity of the media this time, so what about the next time when the media might want more......and we all know how the media is NEVER satisfied with a few pictures.......what will be given then?

If Meghan did not want her privacy then let everyone know what your doing, this way she could just come and go as she pleased and not hid under a hat with body guards, the media would then follow her everywhere, privacy or no privacy is the question....

Last edited:
:previous: NO ONE is speculating. People simply pointed out the timeline of events. How is it speculating when the articles flat out quotes someone they identified as working for Ladurée?

As for the rest, you DO NOT want to put anyone in a situation where it’s a chase through NYC. Let alone a 7 months pregnant woman. We know how that can end. She is, unfortunately, in a country where her private time isn’t protected by privacy laws and there is no regulation on paparazzi and word got out she was there. They dealt with it the best way they can and appropriately as the situation evolved. Security has clearly beefed up since the first set of photos came out, and it was appropriate.

And I always laugh at people saying you give them something, and your entire right to privacy is over. That’s just not how that works. She was in a country where her being on public streets meant she had no privacy. So whether or not she went out the front or snuck out in the back, they had a right to photograph her. And the situation was clearly well managed in the front. Don’t think for a minute that they wouldn’t have swarmed if she went out the side or back door. People are underestimating paparazzi. Any possible scenario anyone can think of, they’ve thought it out long before. They’ve been doing this for a living. That, however, does not compromise the rest of her privacy. Even if a private moment or news is shared, like announcing a pregnancy or birth, does not mean someone gives up the right to privacy on all other moments of her life.

So unless she plans to spend all of her time in the hotel, at some point, she’ll be photographed once they knew she was in NYC. Even if they moved all of their activities to the hotel, she’ll still have to leave to go home at some point. It is what it is once they got wind of it, and they took the appropriate steps.

Last edited:
Did Meghan or didn't she want her privacy.......everyone is talking about how Meghan came to NY for a baby shower under the radar and we all know that she and other royals do that from time to time and nothing wrong with that, yet this time in NY she came under the radar and stayed that way for a few days until someone whomever as we really don't know who it was that reported her to page 6 for we have NO proof who it was and we are only assuming something (it is really bad to assume something for facts tell the truth). So she was caught so to speak, if she wants her privacy to continue then go out the back door into a waiting car and that is NOT sneaking out the backdoor for that is IMO her still wanting her privacy which she had when first coming into NY to begin with.......IMO in walking out the front door into the mass of the media was giving into them......they got what they want and Meghan handed over the precious privacy that she had to begin with..

She worked in the entertainment industry and knows the ins and outs of avoiding the media with all kinds of different disguises, so why not use one of them to avoid the media, nobody is saying that there is poor Meghan having to hide from the media, it is all her choice of does she want her privacy or not. For me personally I would not give into the media come hell or high water after all the crap that they have been pulling (does it work both ways or just one way in whom gets what here), why give into them, so there were barriers and they got their pictures, and Meghan lost that precious privacy that she had to begin with, Meghan here is the loser and the media won for they got what they wanted........so it a few pictures, no big deal and she might have laughed silly in the car at the stupidity of the media this time, so what about the next time when the media might want more......and we all know how the media is NEVER satisfied with a few pictures.......what will be given then?

If Meghan did not want her privacy then let everyone know what your doing, this way she could just come and go as she pleased and not hid under a hat with body guards, the media would then follow her everywhere, privacy or no privacy is the question....

She is heavily pregnant, and in a city where the paps have no respect for privacy. There is no way she isn't going to have bodyguards. Royals always have bodyguards, senior ones, even when off duty. That's a reality.

The only way she would Never have been spotted is if she stayed in her hotel room the entire time and had all the staff sign a privacy agreement. Even if she used back doors. At some point someone was going to see her. You don't think the back doors of the hotel was going to be watched as well??

Why should she risk her safety and that of the baby to play a game with the media? Beyond ridiculous to suggest a pregnant woman should have to play cat and mouse with the media to deserve privacy.

It's not as if Meghan is a woman without a personal background - she was (IMho rightfully so) lauded when her engagement was announced, for she has an impressive CV. So anyone could realise that she wouldn't become purely British within a couple of months. So her flying to her homecountry (the British are so proud of the fact that Meghan did not get a British passport on marriage) and met up with her friends was foreseeable. She managed to stay under the radar for a time and surely is thankful for that but I guess everyone in her circle was aware that it probably would not last till the last day. If so, good, if not: well, yes, she is in NYC, she meets with her friends, she even uses the rest room in a gallery. She won't pull a Diana-like chase stunt, but just calmly walk to a car etc. and try to be a dignified British duchess in these pics. IMHO she managed great. We had more letting down their hair-pics from Letizia and Felipe in Madrid when they went to the cinema or for dinner with friends - and these two are the reigning king and his queen. So where's the beef?

Page six said, that it was an employee at the Laduree who tipped them off.

As for privacy.. Once the press were tipped off, it was either sneaking through back doors, and the paparazzi would've chased her regardless, and it would've been extremely unsafe. Or arrange barricades for the press to stay behind, and Meghan and her friends would get in and out without hassle.

She didn't trade any privacy. She was pictured going in and out of hotels and restaurants, that's it. It has happened to other royals too, so this fuzz about Meghan being pictured seems silly.

I'm so glad Meghan was able to do this trip, meet up and celebrate with her old friends, they've been loyal and supportive, and I think they all needed this time together.

Logic tells me that it actually wasn't Meghan's decision how to leave, what door to leave by or to take the laundry chute down to the basement and leave in a laundry van. Her security detail did. That's their job.

Once the news was out that Meghan was in NYC, it was her security force that sprang into action and made the decisions. They went the way that would be deemed the most safe and secure for Meghan's person. It wasn't about her privacy or giving into the media but solely about her safety. ?

She is heavily pregnant, and in a city where the paps have no respect for privacy. There is no way she isn't going to have bodyguards. Royals always have bodyguards, senior ones, even when off duty. That's a reality.

The only way she would Never have been spotted is if she stayed in her hotel room the entire time and had all the staff sign a privacy agreement. Even if she used back doors. At some point someone was going to see her. You don't think the back doors of the hotel was going to be watched as well??

Why should she risk her safety and that of the baby to play a game with the media? Beyond ridiculous to suggest a pregnant woman should have to play cat and mouse with the media to deserve privacy.

First do not put words in my comment that I said, as I did not say this was a game or that Meghan should play cat and mouse with the media.....and when it got out that she was there that is when the security would give her advice on what to do, they could tell her all the different options she had and then it would be her choice as to what to do....I see nothing wrong with using the back door as long as that is what Meghan would of wanted, after all it is HER choice on what to do. I am still of the firm belief that if a person wants their privacy then they can have that 100% regardless of who knows what or whomever knows they are somewhere. Royals have proven that they can fly and go under the radar all the time regardless of where they are going or with whom...that is a given. And we all can have our different opinions on privacy or not to have privacy....:whistling:

Some people underestimate the paparazzi in NYC. Her going out the back door of hotels would not have stopped them. Theses guys (they are mostly men) know all the tricks to the trade. Also, that would have been even more dangerous. NYC streets are congested on the best of days. I also don't think people know all the players involved here: we're talking the U.S State Department, NYPD AND RPOs. Once she was spotted, they had to go to their contingency plans.

[/B]

First do not put words in my comment that I said, as I did not say this was a game or that Meghan should play cat and mouse with the media.....and when it got out that she was there that is when the security would give her advice on what to do, they could tell her all the different options she had and then it would be her choice as to what to do....I see nothing wrong with using the back door as long as that is what Meghan would of wanted, after all it is HER choice on what to do. I am still of the firm belief that if a person wants their privacy then they can have that 100% regardless of who knows what or whomever knows they are somewhere. Royals have proven that they can fly and go under the radar all the time regardless of where they are going or with whom...that is a given. And we all can have our different opinions on privacy or not to have privacy....:whistling:

I personally think, that security decisions aren't Meghan's choice. Imo the safer option was to do exactly what they did, bring barriers, and have the press behind them. Sneaking through back doors with the press able to get closer, that wouldn't have been a safer option.

The royals have travelled incognito, but they also have been spotted and pictured while doing so. This wasn't the first time a royal was pictured going in and out of hotels and restaurants, and it won't be the last either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom