Duke and Duchess of Sussex, General News 2: December 2018 - February 2019

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Despite it all, she’s doing what the royals do best..carrying on with her head held high and with a smile on her face. I just feel bad a pregnant woman is being put through so much.

Personally, I think the usual 'don't complain, don't explain' works the best for the BRF.
If they are going to bring proper charges against someone then communicate through legal or confidential avenues.

Keep a dignified silence and ignore the press and hurtful online comments.
There has been too much in the press, instigated by Meghan's family. I think many people would lump all the Markle noise in together - as unfair as that seems to Meghan's well meaning 'friends'.

Meghan is attending engagements looking very well, fortunately.

Last edited:
I doubt there's anything that would actually be legally actionable but even if there was the "but they shouldn't do anything/say anything" would still be there. For some the narrative is "we should be able to say anything we like including having people brief against you and writing blatant lies to get clicks/sell copies but you can't do anything ever".

We know the staff often try to privately brief or come to an agreement but that doesn't seem to have worked in this case when things like bump cupping is discussed as a controversy on national news programmes and not as a personal choice of a heavily pregnant woman.

I imagine the horrendous down-side of social media with which she has always had a fairly benign relationship and royal reporters claiming utterly vile things about her and Catherine's supposed feud, etc. must have come as a rude shock. Worse, not being in a position to stand up and say "that didn't happen!" or "that's not true" has probably been a source of more than a little heartache to Meghan and, by extension, Harry.

She is now in a totally new environment, expected to say nothing and do nothing, be totally above such scurrilous trash, supremely unaffected and treating it with the contempt it deserves.

But the trouble is, it is 2019 and the type of attacks have changed from those aimed at the Queen, Prince Philip, Princess Anne, Prince Charles, etc.twenty odd years ago. This is a whole new world of trial by gossip, whether the gossip rags or on blogs, etc and are totally different. There are no newspapers to sue, no way to receive redress of the wrongs done to them.

Never complain, never explain may have been Queen Mary's dictum, but it really doesn't cut the mustard these days, which is why I can see friends of Meghan trying to help out but unaware that this behaviour unbelievably, is seen as unacceptable as the original dirt.

All is pure to the pure and watching Meghan writing messages on bananas came from a place of thoughtful kindness, the media saw it as facile and pathetic and so very Hollywood.

I believe I will make a conscious decision to see the world through Harry and Meghan's eyes, understand that kindness is never wasted, and know that trying to be the best person you can be without fear or favour is the best we can do in this world. The colours are brighter and the people nicer in that world.

It must be hard for these friends to see Meghan being battered and bruised by the UK media. FGS SHE IS PREGNANT! Has anyone had a thought for the baby? While there are gushy parts to the article, you can Google and YouTube variations of Meghan's actions.

Funny how some of you take the negative stories as fact but are cynical and question anything positive Meghan does. Just say you hate her and go.

I doubt there's anything that would actually be legally actionable but even if there was the "but they shouldn't do anything/say anything" would still be there. For some the narrative is "we should be able to say anything we like including having people brief against you and writing blatant lies to get clicks/sell copies but you can't do anything ever".

We know the staff often try to privately brief or come to an agreement but that doesn't seem to have worked in this case when things like bump cupping is discussed as a controversy on national news programmes and not as a personal choice of a heavily pregnant woman.

Not to forget Bananagate and blaming her for drought and famine because she likes avocado.

Personally, I think the usual 'don't complain, don't explain' works the best for the BRF.
If they are going to bring proper charges against someone then communicate through legal or confidential avenues.

Keep a dignified silence and ignore the press and hurtful online comments.
There has been too much in the press, instigated by Meghan's family. I think many people would lump all the Markle noise in together - as unfair as that seems to Meghan's well meaning 'friends'.

Meghan is attending engagements looking

That era died. The digital era has ushered in clickbait and Meghan is a gold mine.

My question is why do they care?
They are not mainline, they are irrelevant, they are so low on the totem pole, They are not senior royals, they have been sent to Frogmore; a graveyard, their children should not be HRH. This is the usual mantra even here. So really why do they care since they are so irrelevant.

Because the media got called out for their BS reporting.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don’t fall for the oke doke headline. The palace knows what they’re doing.

I am not falling for anything, but it is clear that this story is not going away i a hurry.

I suppose the good thing to come out of all this for Meghan is that sections of the U.K. tabloid/media, a few palace operatives, as well as those estranged relatives of hers, now know Meghan’s friends are prepared and will somehow confront the smear campaigns from wherever they spring. I hope that gives Meghan some comfort at least.

Last edited:
I suppose the good thing to come out of all this is that we the public, sections of the media and Harry’s family now know Meghan’s friends are prepared and will somehow confront the smear campaigns from wherever they spring. I hope that gives Meghan some comfort at least.

Quite the contrary. All this proves to me is that, if this has been authorised tacitly or otherwise by Meghan, her judgement in these matters is not great. Apart from the obvious issues of engaging with the media, she will be attracting the disapproval of the Queen, Charles, William and the Palace machinery; never a great step, and certainly not one so early in her royal career.

Quite the contrary. All this proves to me is that, if this has been authorised tacitly or otherwise by Meghan, her judgement in these matters is not great. Apart from the obvious issues of engaging with the media, she will be attracting the disapproval of the Queen, Charles, William and the Palace machinery; never a great step, and certainly not one so early in her royal career.

No, there wouldn’t be a disapproval because the same folks you just named have done the same thing. They’ve been there, done this.

While I am not openly suggesting some of the relentless attacks against Meghan originate from a few of the names you mention, she hasn’t exactly received help from that side either. For a pregnant newly married royal who hasn’t actually done anything bad, this just isn’t good enough quite frankly.

Last edited:
I don't read the DM articles so I don't know which "palace aides" they are referring to.

Be that as it may, I will write here what I posted on another message board.

I do think that KP has begun to work on this whole cyber bullying issue in particular. Some things are too coincidental to ignore.

1.William made a very important speech last year about cyberbullying and did plead with the social media inventors to work on solutions
2. KP hired a new communications/PR staff member in December
3. Meghan was publicly seen having lunch with said staffer
4. Hello started their "Hello to kindness" campaign aimed at the cyber abuse of Kate and Meghan
5. The DM "outed" Meghan's social media trolls (sarcasm intended here as I thought their actions were hypocritical)
6. KP has asked Instagram for assistance with the cyber bullying issue

I have wondered if KP has reached out to these publications.

Last edited:
While I am not openly suggesting some of the relentless attacks against Meghan originate from a few of the names you mention, she hasn’t exactly received help from that side either. For a pregnant newly married royal who hasn’t actually done anything bad, this just isn’t good enough quite frankly.
If indeed these "palace aides" were not informed, it tells me that there is an issue with trust. Especially since the smear campaign against Meghan in the last few months were from so-called "palace sources".

Funny how since these "palace aides" were NOT informed until the last minute and there was no leak of this story. Coincidence?:whistling:

Last edited:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...-Princess-Diana-fear-Meghan-playing-fire.html

RICHARD KAY: Like Princess Diana, I fear that Meghan may be playing with fire by allowing friends to speak for her
By RICHARD KAY, EDITOR AT LARGE FOR THE DAILY MAIL

PUBLISHED: 23:40, 7 February 2019 | UPDATED: 01:47, 8 February 2019

The pot calling the kettle black. Of all people on this earth, it is Richard Kay who has the nerve to say that. Really astonishing :bang: It is as if he is suffering of memory loss

The pot calling the kettle black. Of all people on this earth, it is Richard Kay who has the nerve to say that. Really astonishing :bang: It is as if he is suffering of memory loss

Whilst there is no doubt that Richard may have been one of Diana's key "enablers" in her trysts with the media, his broader point is actually highlighting that it can be a slippery slope, with a lot more for Meghan to loose than gain.

The difference is that Meghan has a husband who loves and supports her. Diana did not. Harry is a true protector of his wife and I can imagine that he has wanted to address the abuse that Meghan has received just like he did in November 2016.

Last edited:
Never complain never explain was not working. I'm glad there was pushback for Meghan.

At some point, perhaps when she was preparing another cosy supper at Nottingham Cottage, I like to think the moment came when Meghan Markle decided enough was enough.

She slammed the organic chicken into the oven, pounded the avocados with an unknown ferocity and realised that another glass of cinnamon tea wasn’t going to calm her down this time.

‘Harry,’ she said, addressing the Prince, who was sitting in an armchair, giggling over his copy of The Beano. ‘I’m just not going to take it any more.’

Read more: JAN MOIR: Look out, it’s Operation MEGHAN (Make Everyone Gush, Honour And Nurture)

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...-Princess-Diana-fear-Meghan-playing-fire.html

RICHARD KAY: Like Princess Diana, I fear that Meghan may be playing with fire by allowing friends to speak for her
By RICHARD KAY, EDITOR AT LARGE FOR THE DAILY MAIL

PUBLISHED: 23:40, 7 February 2019 | UPDATED: 01:47, 8 February 2019

LOL - this is the right guy talking.

I think Meghan has to accept that there are many Britons who see her marriage to Harry as a deep no-go in their society.

For non-Britons the British society theses tabloids cater to is often archaic - with that firm belief that people are born into their place in osciety, so have to stay, that class differences are something that protects their society while a multicultural approach endangers it.

While a lot of that is not as hard and immovable than it used to be, I thin a lot of the rules still apply to the Royal family.

And the inventors of the tabloid stories know these "ancient myths" by heart. Eg the stories about staff members who leave the Royal household because of Meghan. It's an old "myth" that servants have to respect their betters in order to serve them, that it's not only the money, but respect as well. While a true "Lady" can get away with everything, an imposter is frozen out by the refusal of service. You see this as a meme in Fairy Tales and you see it in folklore. But nowadays the higher ranks do what they want and the lower classes often hate that. Because they often think: why are these people so much better off when they are not better than I am. What was once acceptance, turns in some cases into envy and hate.
They do not love their RF, the love an idealized idea of a RF. The queen fits right in, Prince Philip gets away with a lotbuit Harry and William marrying "unsuitable" women is difficult to stomach for a lot of these people - and the tabloids cater to their feelings.

And just imagine what some people will thing about Baby Sussex as a Royal "halfblood", not better than a changeling....

But I think Harry knew that and he talked to Meghan about it.I am sure they can protect their children from the media (especially in the controlled environment of Windsor Home Park, with the gardens of Frogmore a large area where the kids can play without meeting people who may sprout hate at them). And I am sure Harry and Meghan can bring them up to a point where they will understand what is happening and get over it easily. And just ignore the papers. And freeze those writers out who cater for that dumb and racist part of the public. Because in the end: it's the RF who is at the top of society and there afew people in society who cannot take a hint that some things are frowned upon.

My personal bet is that Piers Morgan, Camilla T. and others are already realise that they are frozen out and that's why they rant so much.

Oh please, Charles and William themselves has had “friends” speak on their behalf with things. If I had a penny for every time we found out details from friends close to the royal. And Mark Bolland anyone?

Last edited:
So apparently it's okay for anything to be said negatively against Meghan. It's okay for her to be painted into a corner and marginalized. And her friends speaking out against that in an innocuous way is such a horror to the very people who foment negativity and divisiveness. That includes everyone with a negative thought against the Sussexes.

I repeat what alvinking noted: Why are the negative perpetrators of all stripes allowed to have it their way? They wish to gape at the Sussexes, examine them in minute detail, look down on them, criticize and marginalize them at the same time declaring they are not that important in the scheme of royal life. Everything the Sussexes do is overexamined. And any response anyone would make on their behalf, or even that they would make in a mild but pointed way (e.g., the Marianne Williamson wisdom Meghan read at the Henry van Straubenzee memorial service in December) is totally frowned upon.

This cannot continue. Detractors need to calm down. I really hope that to preserve their private lives, the Sussexes will depart to some remote location where they can't be tracked down, and live out their lives in peace. At this juncture, that needs to happen. There is nothing Meghan or Harry can do for those who hold some bias against them for who they are as a couple. They shine as a couple and they want to do good in the world as a couple. And they want to live their lives in pursuit of their duties on behalf of the royal institution, as well as living in as much peace and privacy as they can. But that requires media and worshipers and detractors alike backing off and calming down.

These outcries by the media against the support of Meghan by her friends is very similar to the outcries that ensued after Harry's famous press release in November 2016 warning the media to back-off so he and Meghan could conduct their courtship with a modicum of privacy, and without her being harassed and her background being targeted and looked down upon.

Last edited:
:previous: And this is exactly the reason IMHO why they move to Frogmore. That's a place where they can go out and enjoy their own garden plus the Frogmore gardens without having to bother that someone watches them and makes a negative headline out of their life. I think I could easily get used to see them in public doing things for charity and to support the monarchy, but I don't need any private pic of them if that means the media is going to trash them for whatever they claim is happening on the pic. Than God for the internet and discreet couture tailors, so Meghan can shop the things she needs for her duties in peace.

Despite it all, she’s doing what the royals do best..carrying on with her head held high and with a smile on her face. I just feel bad a pregnant woman is being put through so much.

Right you are. But your latter concern is quite clearly why DoS Meghan's friends have spoken out. As strong as Meghan is, I'm sure her friends are worried about her well-being, particularly as her due date nears, and this OTT frenzy and negativity continues unabated.

I think it’s quite comical that the press has overwhelmingly attacked Meghan for over 2 years now but the moment there is a little push back they cry foul.

The thing though is the public reaction doesn’t match their anger. I mostly see “leave her alone” and this is not from fans but other public figures and people with with official blue checks by their names.

So really they can rant all they want but honestly they just pissed they were scooped.

The Torygraph’s (Daily Telegraph) associate editor is speculating in a long and very detailed article on the identity of Meg’s friends with a headline:
“Meghan's closest friends have dished the dirt – but who broke rank?”
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/royal-family/0/meghans-closest-friends-have-dished-dirt-broke-rank/

I have inserted a few short quotes:

“......So who are they? Speculation is already mounting that if the “former co-star” is Raffety, the other former acting colleague could be Abigail Spencer, 37, who also attended the Windsor nuptials and has previously gushed about her Suits castmate’s relationship with Prince Harry. She also used to make contributions to Meghan’s now-defunct website Tig.”

.....”Who has broken cover? ....Meghan’s former Suits co-star Sarah Rafferty has been linked to the leak.
“[Meghan’s] got warm elegance, though her style is hard to pin down,” Spencer told Vanity Fair in 2017. “When you’re talking to her, you feel like you’re the only person on the planet. And it’s just wonderful to see her so in love.” It is perhaps noteworthy that Meghan’s “elegance, grace and philanthropy” was referred to in the People feature, which also attested to Meghan being “incredibly organised, diligent, focused and hard-working” and “ordering gourmet burgers” to boost the spirits of the crew on set.”
“Indeed, the only vaguely famous name being linked to the leak is Meghan’s former Suits co-star Sarah Rafferty, 46, who attended the royal wedding last May and was among a trio of former colleagues who spilled the beans about the nuptials on NBC’s Today Show.
Since People magazine has previously described Lindsay Roth, 36, as Meghan’s bestie, it seems likely the TV producer and author may be the “longtime friend” quoted.
Could the close confident who describes feeling Meghan’s “energy” and “calm” on her wedding day be Pilates instructor Heather Dorak? The hyperbole certainly smacks of someone into spiritual healing. The former dancer, 37, who owns Pilates Platinum in Los Angeles has been pictured hanging out with Meghan for several years now and they even holidayed together in 2016.
Another possibility is Benita Litt, who joined Meghan and Dorak on that holiday with her daughters Rylan, 7, and Remi, 6, who are Meghan’s godchildren and were flower girls at her wedding. The Californian former lawyer-turned fashion entrepreneur works with companies like Netflix and Samsung. She is married to Darren Litt, who is an investor and entrepreneur. Based in Beverly Hills, Litt could qualify as the “friend from LA”.
So, too, could Janina Gavankar, 38, who has been friends with Meghan for years. She inspired Gavankar to launch her own website, AltFound. “Over our almost 15-year friendship, I’ve watched Meghan’s dedication to self-growth and generosity,” Gavankar wrote when she launched the site. “As she grew The Tig, she urged me to do the same, for my own voice.”..,

Richard Kay is a HYPOCRITE. He was Diana’s main mouthpiece.

I imagine the horrendous down-side of social media with which she has always had a fairly benign relationship and royal reporters claiming utterly vile things about her and Catherine's supposed feud, etc. must have come as a rude shock. Worse, not being in a position to stand up and say "that didn't happen!" or "that's not true" has probably been a source of more than a little heartache to Meghan and, by extension, Harry.

She is now in a totally new environment, expected to say nothing and do nothing, be totally above such scurrilous trash, supremely unaffected and treating it with the contempt it deserves.

But the trouble is, it is 2019 and the type of attacks have changed from those aimed at the Queen, Prince Philip, Princess Anne, Prince Charles, etc.twenty odd years ago...

Never complain, never explain may have been Queen Mary's dictum, but it really doesn't cut the mustard these days, which is why I can see friends of Meghan trying to help out but unaware that this behaviour unbelievably, is seen as unacceptable as the original dirt.

All is pure to the pure and watching Meghan writing messages on bananas came from a place of thoughtful kindness, the media saw it as facile and pathetic and so very Hollywood.

I believe I will make a conscious decision to see the world through Harry and Meghan's eyes, understand that kindness is never wasted, and know that trying to be the best person you can be without fear or favour is the best we can do in this world. The colours are brighter and the people nicer in that world.

Thank you for your thoughtful contributions to the conversation. I like the colours and brightness of the world you describe. We've actually seen that type of world reflected in the genuine goodwill of the people who greet the Sussexes on walkabouts. We saw these colours and this brightness everpresent during the Sussexes South Pacific tour. So this type of world can exist. But there is obviously darkness inevitably abounding which is always trying to obscure the light and taint the good.

Would that everyone could see that the Sussexes are simply a young couple who fell in love, and who want to do good in the world and spread kindness. It's as simple as that. It doesn't make them perfect, neither should it make them targets for OTT scrutiny, exploitation and blind, mindless abuse.

I can see Harry wishing once again that he wasn't royal. That he could be an everyman who married for love and be able to do his good deeds in peace and harmony with his lovely, remarkable wife. But without all the OTT attention and scrutiny that comes solely from the fact of his being a British royal, and Meghan being seen as uniquely 'different.'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom