Duke and Duchess of Sussex, General News 2: December 2018 - February 2019

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The PPO's are taking it seriously and that is why Meghan shutting her own door is a nono as, should a crazy get past the police, there is nowhere for Meghan to go because the car door is shut and most new cars automatically lock.

We know the seatbelt alarm is turned off so the PPO can do his/her job without the alarm driving everyone nuts. It also seems that they will be looking into modifications to the automatic locking system. Now if that doesn't scare you it sure scares me and the police.

The Queen and Kate shut their own door. Where are the articles about them? The British media is so biased against Meghan.

The Queen and Kate shut their own door. Where are the articles about them? The British media is so biased against Meghan.

Yeah, when Meghan shut her car door during her first solo engagement, there was a moment from fans and reporters searching clips of Kate, too, shutting her car door. But there are no articles about Kate having to stop that for security reasons.

The truly sickening angle of all this is that the tabloids and paps are doing this *on purpose* to fan the flames of discontent for the money. As long as it sells, they'll print it. When it no longer sells, they'll dig up something else.

I'm a royal watcher and I watch royals. Mostly the BRF. They're interesting but I've never seen the level of vitriol leveled towards any of them as I have seen recently. That's a game I refuse to join in.

C'mon, when you really think about it, how stupid is #bumpgate really.

Yeah, when Meghan shut her car door during her first solo engagement, there was a moment from fans and reporters searching clips of Kate, too, shutting her car door. But there are no articles about Kate having to stop that for security reasons.
A little common sense please. The media Catherine V Meghan barrage didn't start until after C was back at work and M and Harry were back from an extraordinarily successful tour. Needless to say it has taken TPTB until now to see that this has gone far further than the work of the usual everyday trolls.

The object of their hatred is not the Queen, it not Camilla, but rather the TWO Duchesses Catherine and Meghan. And in the news clip I watched they were both mentioned.

Good grief I would have thought not being mentioned was a good thing in this case. This situation is both sick and sickening but here you go looking for malicious intent by omitting Catherine. They are both in equal danger and I hope the actual posts are kept from them as it will do nothing good for their mental health.

The truly sickening angle of all this is that the tabloids and paps are doing this *on purpose* to fan the flames of discontent for the money. As long as it sells, they'll print it. When it no longer sells, they'll dig up something else.

I'm a royal watcher and I watch royals. Mostly the BRF. They're interesting but I've never seen the level of vitriol leveled towards any of them as I have seen recently. That's a game I refuse to join in.

C'mon, when you really think about it, how stupid is #bumpgate really.

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is not about the tabloids/media, Harry and Meghan's tour, or Kate vs Meghan. Let's stay on-topic, please.

Posts discussing whether the Sussexes will have a nanny, have been moved here.

I've also deleted a number of insulting comments about a royal reporter. Please remember the mod note that was posted back in December.

Finally, recent comments about individual journalists have taken on an uncomfortable and unacceptable tone. Constructive criticism of their work is fine, but personal attacks about them will not be tolerated.

Last edited:
Íf you don't mind I'll take the "friends" part with a grain of salt. "Friends" of royals have been talking to the media for a pretty long time. Almost all of the time they're vague acquaintances. Or it's just plain made up.

I didn't read on click on the article but have read many, many books where the source is "someone high up in the palace" or 'a friend close to XXX"..

The proverbial not reliable source. :D

The keyword is "reliable" source. ;)

I didn't read on click on the article but have read many, many books where the source is "someone high up in the palace" or 'a friend close to XXX"..

Make of it what you will, the original article was published in People, which is still a decent celebrity magazine, it’s not the dailymail- but still not cnn or vanity fair.

This was either done without letting Meghan know in advance (which than bags the question how close these friends really are.. but obviously close enough to know some details).

Or, the information in the article is false because Meghan has decided to drop some friends by providing them false information and see who will talk to the press.

Or, this was done with Meghan knowledge and blessing since she won’t speak out herself.

Or lastly, PR machine is working overtime, but than Meghan and Harry have had to know about this to approve this strategy.

I have no idea which is which.

Looks like Meghan is using her friends to feed the media without the use of KP Press staff, not unlike Diana:
https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/...-him-to-stop-victimising-her-so-a4059536.html

Íf you don't mind I'll take the "friends" part with a grain of salt. "Friends" of royals have been talking to the media for a pretty long time. Almost all of the time they're vague acquaintances. Or it's just plain made up.

I read the original article in People:
https://people.com/royals/meghan-ma...eak-their-silence-we-want-to-speak-the-truth/

There is way too much intimate detail for this not to be true. And frankly, I don't see anything wrong with Meghan's friends anonymously fighting back on her behalf. As one of her friends noted, Meghan is pregnant and she will soon be giving birth. Since the Sussexes are forbidden to speak out themselves, I don't see anything wrong with Meghan's close friends anonymously providing more accurate insights. The comments ring true to me, but I don't know in this current frenzied atmosphere how much good it will do against all the negativity.

I think Harry & Meghan would be a bit more open with the general public about some details of their married life anyway, if not for all the negativity that's being bandied about. If providing accurate information through friends is their only option, then so be it. I'm sure approval was given for this level of detail. I see this as one way for them fighting back, particularly with the arrival of their baby looming. As we can see, they are both genuinely caring and down-to-earth with the people they meet on walkabouts who appear to genuinely love them back.

Prayers for God's blessings and protection for the Sussex family.

Make of it what you will, the original article was published in People, which is still a decent celebrity magazine, it’s not the dailymail- but still not cnn or vanity fair.

This was either done without letting Meghan know in advance ...

Or, the information in the article is false because Meghan has decided to drop some friends by providing them false information and see who will talk to the press...

Or, this was done with Meghan knowledge and blessing since she won’t speak out herself...

Or lastly, PR machine is working overtime, but than Meghan and Harry have had to know about this to approve this strategy.

I have no idea which is which.

DoS Meghan can not speak out. I'm sure she would if she could.

Everyone should read the original article and realize that the information is very specific, and very supportive of Meghan. I also sense that it's providing accurate insight into Meghan's character as well as some interesting insights into the Sussexes' lives. I particularly enjoyed hearing about Meghan caring for her dogs and cooking every day for Harry. ? The friends stress that Meghan is the same Meghan. Her character and her personality have not changed. She is very supportive to her friends, and I'm glad to see they are rallying around to support her.

If this is indeed true and these friends have had Meghan's tacit consent to speak to the media, then I think Meghan has made a real error of judgement, and probably made the situation a lot worse for herself. I can only hope that this is not the case.

During H&M's courtship when a family member was being very cruel in her comments toward Meghan, a college friend of Meghan's was quite clearly given the okay to speak on the record to one of the American magazines. The friend was above-board, honest and straightforward in providing her perspective of Meghan, as well as making it clear where the relative was stating false information about Meghan.

For the close friend to have spoken out at that time, it had to have been okayed by KP/BP beforehand. I don't doubt that Harry and his staff cleared the approval then, and now. During 2017, some brief, positive details of H&M's relationship and their happiness together was also provided anonymously to media outlets, likely via Harry's friends. I think that was allowed in an effort to slowly pave the way toward their eventual engagement announcement.

This has nothing whatsoever to do with Diana-level isolation and desperation which led to her tell-all book by Andrew Morton. H&M are together in everything they do. And Harry is close to his father and grandparents. I have no doubt that the innocuous information provided in the People article was cleared beforehand via appropriate royal family channels.

Again, the point is the Duchess of Sussex is pregnant with her first child, and she will soon be giving birth. I wish everyone would stop and think about that.

Last edited:
A lot worse for herself? It has gone past a lot worse for MONTHS now!

If it is indeed true (and I hope that is not the case) and she has been engaging with the media through her friends, then I do believe things will get worse than it has been. That said, I sincerely think she is clever enough to not go down that path at this stage.

If it is indeed true (and I hope that is not the case) and she has been engaging with the media through her friends, then I do believe things will get worse than it has been. That said, I sincerely think she is clever enough to not go down that path at this stage.

As I said, this is not about Meghan acting in isolation. As Harry declared in their engagement interview, "Whatever we have to face, we will face together... Our relationship comes first..."

I don't see what is not understandable about this. There are sometimes staff leaks. There's also made-up or exaggerated stuff by the media. And then there are ways that the royals combat the negative and inaccurate press coverage via discreet means available to them.

Once again, Meghan is not acting on her own. I personally believe it's Harry's salvo in conjunction with Meghan's friends, as they are likely all concerned about Meghan's welfare, especially with her being pregnant and nearing her due date. I do not think she dwells on negativity, but she's dealing with a lot right now, and I see this as her husband and her friends looking out for her. Others can see it as you will.

Duke and Duchess of Sussex, General News Part 2: December 2018 -

“Life as a royal wife is a marathon, not a sprint. Meghan should rise above”
CAMILLA TOMINEY-
ASSOCIATE EDITOR

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/royal-family/2019/02/06/life-royal-wife-marathon-not-sprint-should-rise/

There is also this opinion piece in today’s Daily Telegraph by its associate Editor who appeared on the BBC television’s serious news panelist show ‘Question Time’ last week alongside government and HM opposition ministers so this is not a mere tabloid story, it’s the governing and chattering classes who are acknowledging this stuff put out by Meghan’s friends.

....”The Queen’s mantra has long been to “never complain and never explain”, so the People magazine article is likely to raise eyebrows behind the palace gates”

As Prince William once said Panorama interview: “I can understand – having sometimes been in those situations, you feel incredibly desperate and it is very unfair that things are being said that are untrue.”

My question is why do they care?
They are not mainline, they are irrelevant, they are so low on the totem pole, They are not senior royals, they have been sent to Frogmore; a graveyard, their children should not be HRH. This is the usual mantra even here. So really why do they care since they are so irrelevant.

CT was the RR who broke the news of their relationship in The Star of all places IIRC and has been nasty in several other articles.

Whether or not this was a good idea or will be of any help remains to be seen but none of these journalists has any leg to stand on.

CT was the RR who broke the news of their relationship in The Star of all places IIRC and has been nasty in several other articles.

Whether or not this was a good idea or will be of any help remains to be seen but none of these journalists has any leg to stand on.

Camilla Tominey worked for Sunday Express at that time. In terms of her story accuracy, I’ve always believe her sources outside of the palace was more accurate than the sources within. I could tell by some of the stuff she got right that it was from other places, and she’s certainly well connected in her government connections. She has been far less friendly since Meghan worked with Hubb Community Kitchen.

I don’t have time to address the People article now. I’ll talk about that later. But this is the first time I’ll be buying the magazine in years for the entire article.

I'll stand there and give cow eyes to the horse from whose mouth speaks what is really going on before I believe media "stories".

Sorry for calling Meghan a horse. :whistling:

I'll stand there and give cow eyes to the horse from whose mouth speaks what is really going on before I believe media "stories".

Sorry for calling Meghan a horse. :whistling:

:lol: Horses are beautiful and sentient creatures, so it's really a compliment to Meghan.

But you will obviously never hear anything from DoS horse's mouth directly on this topic. :D

I'm not a fan of Camilla Tominey, and didn't click to read the article, but did read the bit that was published in People, and I have to say that if this information leaked by "friends" was done with the permission of the DoS, I think it is a mistake. I don't think it's a Diana-level feeding the press error, but I do think it amps up a story (the estrangement from her father) that had largely died down, and it doesn't do much to change the overall arc of the story. A dignified silence would have served her in the long term a lot better than giving friends permission to talk about something that happened, and it sets a precedent that may be harder to control in the future than it may seem on the surface.

"Never complain...never explain" no longer works in this social media and 24 hour news cycle age...especially with a biracial woman marrying into the BRF and the latent racism that obviously still exists.

LET ME BE CLEAR..I don't think that they should respond to EVERY tabloid nonsense because most people can see through those. But the level of cyber and media abuse has been at a horrendous level and I think some sort of a response was warranted.

The main lesson in this age of digital media is that you are never going to be able to completely control the narrative, and it's useless to try. For people who like Meghan and Harry, that is frustrating, but the best thing the Sussexes can do is what they have been doing, and doing well in the last few months: do their jobs, give their full effort to supporting the causes that matter to them, and preserve a discreet silence on their private lives. Anything else just feeds the frenzy.

The people who despise Meghan and Harry are not going to be swayed by any amount of leaked inside stories, and there is a real downside to allowing "friends" to become part of the narrative.

I would agree with you if Harry and Meghan had their friends talking every 5 minutes and coming out and refuting every tabloid story.

I don't think this is about swaying anyone who already had established opinions. This is her friends now giving their views just like the other side has been free to do.

I hate comparing women but really she should have taken a page from Beyonce's book who in my opinion exemplify perfectly the 'never complain, never explain'. She has it 100x worse than Meghan for those who know... and she always rise above. It has served her well. I remember the time around her pregnancy.. Meghan truly has heard nothing compared to her...

The DoS clearly decided to take the high road and not discuss those issues publicly, her friends should have respected that decision and follow her lead.
And she has an event tonight. Poor girl.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom