Duke and Duchess of Sussex, General News 2: December 2018 - February 2019

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I doubt she’ll get any from movies she’s done, as she was mainly a bit player at best supporting, and she was not of high enough profile to be given residues (she might have asked).
She may get some from Suits (edit: looks like the show went past it’s 100 episode last season), but again she was a supporting actress and the contract she had when she left may have well been the same she signed when the show began - which mean whatever percentage she may get will be very minor. You must remove, Suits was not (and still is not) a highly watched or known publicized show (even among the cable & low rating shows), I highly doubt it will have much syndication prowess once it’s run will be over- as is the case with most similarly low rated and barely known shows.

I'm sorry, but where did you get your info from? Suits, for a cable show has very high ratings especially for the last few years. Trust me, it wouldn't have survived cable tv if it didn't and NBC has a really bad reputation for axing shows that are not profitable. Also, Meghan was not a "supporting" actress in suits. She was one of the main 5 characters on the show, which means behind the two males "leads", she was a starring character. In fact, the entire premise of Suits relies around an ensemble cast. I will agree with you on her movies. She was not in any notable movies that would bring in a substantial residual check, but as for Suits, she will be getting a hefty pay-check yearly or bi-yearly now that it's in syndication. I think this is why she was so grateful once it got past 100 episodes. If a show does well and gets past that threshold, that is a sigh of relief for most actors as they can definitely count on a check for the rest of their lives, barring a severe incident, i.e. the Cosby show.

Also, we have to remember, she was on for years, which means there were negotiations throughout that time, which probably means once NBC decided that it was worth it, the actors probably were in a better place for to negotiate for the event of syndication.

I have a friend who did a national commercial 2 years ago. She still gets money from it. Heck she pays her rent off that commercial to this day as it still airs.

You will be surprise how much that can continue. It is all about contracts. Some people if they don't know can very well be ripped off and see nothing. Others can really protect themselves and make a nice penny.

And with Meghan's new profile her movies have been getting a lot of airtime worldwide which is great for those other actors involved. Meghan will be getting checks from Suits and the other stuff but no doubt will be going right into a trust.

What she makes all depends on how she negotiated and we have to remember the cast renewed their contracts after the 3rd season I believe. Many got raises and no doubt the syndication contact was also a factor.

I'm sorry, but where did you get your info from? Suits, for a cable show has very high ratings especially for the last few years. Trust me, it wouldn't have survived cable tv if it didn't and NBC has a really bad reputation for axing shows that are not profitable. Also, Meghan was not a "supporting" actress in suits. She was one of the main 5 characters on the show, which means behind the two males "leads", she was a starring character. In fact, the entire premise of Suits relies around an ensemble cast. I will agree with you on her movies. She was not in any notable movies that would bring in a substantial residual check, but as for Suits, she will be getting a hefty pay-check yearly or bi-yearly now that it's in syndication. I think this is why she was so grateful once it got past 100 episodes. If a show does well and gets past that threshold, that is a sigh of relief for most actors as they can definitely count on a check for the rest of their lives, barring a severe incident, i.e. the Cosby show.

Also, we have to remember, she was on for years, which means there were negotiations throughout that time, which probably means once NBC decided that it was worth it, the actors probably were in a better place for to negotiate for the event of syndication.

Exactly. I know people like to downplay her acting career, but I knew of a lot of people in my social circle who watched Suits. I still remember a friends texting me "Prince Harry is dating Rachel from Suits???" when he released the statement. Suits wasn't/isn't a prestige drama or anything, but it certainly has a lot of fans, especially in the 20/early 30s demo.

I didn't watch the show until a few months ago/after the wedding myself. I tried to watch the current season, but honestly the show took a left turn in season 4 or 5 for me and the latest season is just terrible IMO.

Meghan is going to be getting a tidy sum, regardless, thanks to syndication. If she invests that well and just lets it grow, that could be a nice little sum for one of their children when they are older.

Last edited:
:previous: Yes, on YouTube there are a couple of posters that start each clip referring to "Meghan Markle the former D list actress'. Really subtle. :lol: :lol: :lol:

The significance of 100 episodes is that is the usual benchmark where a show can be sold for syndication but then the show's episodes have to actually be purchased and then broadcasted. AFAIK Suits is not syndicated in the U.S. It could be syndicated in other countries but my understanding is that the compensation model is different and not as generous when it comes to foreign markets.

Exactly. I know people like to downplay her acting career, but I knew of a lot of people in my social circle who watched Suits. I still remember a friends texting me "Prince Harry is dating Rachel from Suits???" when he released the statement. Suits wasn't/isn't a prestige drama or anything, but it certainly has a lot of fans, especially in the 20/early 30s demo.

I didn't watch the show until a few months ago/after the wedding myself. I tried to watch the current season, but honestly the show took a left turn in season 4 or 5 for me and the latest season is just terrible IMO.

Meghan is going to be getting a tidy sum, regardless, thanks to syndication. If she invests that well and just lets it grow, that could be a nice little sum for one of their children when they are older.
I only casually followed Harry until this. I didn’t even the royal wedding in 2011 because I didn’t find it worth my while to wake up early. I was, however, a long term follower of Suits. One of the major ways TV stars get paid is the show airing internationally. Apparently that’s a BIG source of money, which is why they send actors to promote the show locally, which is also how Meghan met Violet von Westonholz, who is rumored to have played match maker between her and Harry.

While Suits doesn’t pull in the number of some non-cable network shows, it had its loyal followings. USA is known for well developed characters in fast moving storylines. She’s not on her original contract. All of them has had to sign renewals, and another renewal was coming at the end of season 7, which is why Emily Andrews got so pissed when NBC lied to her as she dug into that as an indication of Meghan possibly being engaged to Harry soon right before the engagement.

Last edited:
Meghan was part of an ensemble cast of a long-running, world-wide syndicated tv show. Even before Meghan started dating Harry it was long established that Suits had one of the best and biggest syndication deals on TV at the time. Frequently cited along with Breaking Bad and Walking Dead as cable shows that could be doing 0.1 demos on their own channel and still get renewed because of how lucrative the syndication money is to NBC.

It was one of the first shows that realised how much money could be made on streaming platforms(Netflix and the like) and continues to be included on 'trending' lists every quarter since then.

IIAK, the entire ensemble cast receives royalties every quarter, which is then divided among them equally. (in this case among 6 people) That's for certain. Of course each actor can have certain added bonuses that were negotiated during contracts renewals, but that would not affect the royalties of the other actors.

While she is not making millions off Suits every year now, a steady low 6 figure is a fairly conservative bet.

Last edited:
hum I wonder how will be with her taxes, she still hold American passport and she will have to file that .

Meghan also wasn't just a "bit player" in the movies she did. She had the lead role in Hallmark's "Dater's Handbook" which still airs on Hallmark channels from time to time. Royalties from appearances can amount to quite a bit of money. For example, Friends. The show's success still pays dividends for the cast. In 2015, USA Today reported that Warner Bros. earns $1 billion a year from “Friends.” Meghan has quite a long list of films to her name. Some I've heard of and seen and some I haven't. At that time, it was more likely to remember the film rather than her name as the actress in it.

I would imagine that Meghan has it all set up that any royalties she earns goes into a specific portfolio and is invested. I am totally illiterate when it comes to the tax problem so I can't help there. :D

hum I wonder how will be with her taxes, she still hold American passport and she will have to file that .

Until she gives up her citizenship, she’ll pay taxes on her earned income like the rest of us.

Until she gives up her citizenship, she’ll pay taxes on her earned income like the rest of us.

Absolutely. She will probably just file separately each year the straight forward forms as she doesn't have any other assesses here. Quite a common practice for citizens permanently living in other countries. Forms very easy to complete and you can even see copies required on Internet.

:previous: What do you mean?

I only casually followed Harry until this. I didn’t even the royal wedding in 2011 because I didn’t find it worth my while to wake up early. I was, however, a long term follower of Suits. One of the major ways TV stars get paid is the show airing internationally. Apparently that’s a BIG source of money, which is why they send actors to promote the show locally, which is also how Meghan met Violet von Westonholz, who is rumored to have played match maker between her and Harry...

Where is it confirmed that's how Meghan met Violet? I'm not disagreeing. It's just that I don't think a lot is definitively known about the detailed chronology and genesis of Meghan's close friendships, which eventually led to her meeting Prince Harry. I have a feeling that Meghan met Violet through Misha Nonoo, although I could be wrong. Here's the trajectory I think transpired: Meghan likely met Jessica on the set of Suits where Jessica was a stylist, but I haven't seen confirmation of that either.

We do know that Meghan is a great friend of Markus Anderson, an executive of Soho House. Markus launched the opening of Soho House Toronto in late 2013 or early 2014 (the Soho House Toronto launch is reported during that time with Markus being touted as one of 50 Toronto movers-and-shakers). It's been suggested that Meghan's relationship with Cory Vitiello placed her in contact with Markus. Via Meghan's connection with Jessica, the cast of Suits began dining at the Harbord Room (formerly a restaurant of Cory's in Toronto). That's how Meghan met Cory and they eventually began dating in 2014. Cory served as one of the guest chefs on Meghan's Tig website, which she launched in 2014.

In December 2014, Meghan and Cory attended a charity/art event in Miami (Soho Beach House, Art Basel Miami). On that occasion, Meghan met designer, Misha Nonoo, and they hit it off immediately after striking up a conversation over lunch where they sat next to each other. I believe that Markus is the one who introduced Meghan to Misha at that event, as Misha once gave an interview mentioning how she and Meghan were introduced by a mutual friend and sat together at a luncheon in 2014, during which they bonded. On Meghan's former Instagram, there are a number of pictures of Meghan, Markus, and Misha enjoying good times together (and many more of Meghan with Markus, whom she references as being like a 'brother'). One of Meghan's mottos, posted on her former Instagram: "Find your tribe, love them hard."

Here's an article about the Soho Beach House Miami 2014 event:
https://fashionmagazine.com/culture/art-basel-miami-beach-2014-soho-beach-house/

One of the photos taken of Meghan, Markus and Cory at that event in Miami:
https://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/newpix/...00000578-5598927-image-a-34_1523458256772.jpg

A photo of Misha Nonoo at the same event with Alexander Gilkes (her husband at the time and a former school friend of Harry and William):
https://cdn.fashionmagazine.com/wp-...asel-miami-beach-2014-soho-beach-house-14.jpg

At the same event, Markus with Misha & A.Gilkes, et al; Nick Jones, founder of Soho House is the man in the middle of the group photo:
https://media.gettyimages.com/photo...marcus-anderson-picture-id459865074?s=612x612

Last edited:
:previous: What do you mean?

Simply that Meghan is still asking people's names. A habit that she clearly developed earlier on (and I am sure it is appreciated by whomever asked the question) as evidenced by this interview when she was interviewed by the audience at the end. It's a nice little trick to give people the idea of a personal connection. She clearly makes a point of it to use it to greet that person by name ('hi X'), she is not necessarily trying to remember it. It's a strategic way to connect with your audience and make them feel valued. I recently noticed at an event that she even introduced herself by starting with 'Meghan, what's your name?'.

Oh Anna. Pigeons. :lol: Love her or hate her, she doesn't play around.

BTW, this 5 o'clock thing. Maybe she can dish some advice for motivation. I've been TRYING to do it consistently, but always give in to sleep. :lol:

That was a great video. Anna had a lot of nice things to say but the pigeons was priceless.

I do not understand the issue of sending early morning text messages. Just don’t answer them until you’re at work.

I do not understand the issue of sending early morning text messages. Just don’t answer them until you’re at work.

I don't think we should conflate the two. Neither the "source" tabloids used nor Anna said texting at 5AM. She wakes up at 5AM, and texts several times during the day according to what was reported.

IF, and its a big IF, she was sending text messages I wouldn't agree with it. E-mails yes - you only access them if you choose to go into your e-mail account but a text shows up and is, for most people harder to ignore.

My cell phone lets me block out all messages during a certain time frame (I do 10 pm to 7 am or something) unless it's my special group of family who can get thru 24/7.

But I believe the originally story with Meghan was email not text.

LaRae

We don’t know if the story is true. If so, why should anyone have a problem with a boss emailing an employee? I’d say, “be grateful that you have a job to even get an email from a boss.” There’s too many people out there that would die to have a job and get an email from their boss.

Like was said we don’t know if the rumor is true.
But either way, texting an employee at 5am (when it is not an emergency) is simply impolite and makes it look like you think of them as nothing more than slaves at your back and call. If it is not an emergency write it down on paper and share it later when they arrive at the office.

Yes one should be grateful to have a job (and if it is something you are passionate and good at more to you!), but it does not mean you have to suffer through poor treatment from your boss... and 5am texts is poor treatment.

My phone is on vibrate almost all the time, and still I can hear texts coming in (luckily in my country we mostly use whatsapp and the notification ntoces for that app is turned “off”!).

Again, let's not conflate things. Even the tabloids haven't gone to the point of texting at 5AM.

But either way, texting an employee at 5am (when it is not an emergency) is simply impolite and makes it look like you think of them as nothing more than slaves at your back and call. If it is not an emergency write it down on paper and share it later when they arrive at the office.

Yes one should be grateful to have a job (and if it is something you are passionate and good at more to you!), but it does not mean you have to suffer through poor treatment from your boss... and 5am texts is poor treatment.

My phone is on vibrate almost all the time, and still I can hear texts coming in (luckily in my country we mostly use whatsapp and the notification ntoces for that app is turned “off”!).

The specific comment you referred to is talking about sending out emails. I see nothing wrong with sending them out early so that they can start working on it when they get in instead of waiting 3 or 4 hours.

Getting an email for your boss isn’t poor treatment. I get emails and even texts from my boss. When I get up in the morning or get to my computer in the afternoon, I see them and answer. That’s what happens on a job.

This is all speculation anyway.

Classic case of telephone at work. The 5am wake up to do yoga and sending a bunch of emails of ideas has turned 5am texts. Ah, rumors and speculation. ?

Classic case of telephone at work. The 5am wake up to do yoga and sending a bunch of emails of ideas has turned 5am texts. Ah, rumors and speculation. ?

It’s all enough to drive one up the wall. :lol:

I've emailed people quite late at night (2am/3am), but never texts. I usually go to sleep with my phone in silent mode, they should to the same. If I let my phone without the silent mode, I'll hear facebook, emails, whatsapp, twitter notifications all night. I do remember one time I sent a work to my collegue through email, and she woke up and was angry at me. Some people are sensitive, but I was also intrigued why they won't put their phone on silent mode.

Meghan sends texts/emails several times a day, and wakes at 5am, two separate issues. And other then Harry who she might wake up when she crawls out of bed at 5am, don't know anyone can complain about either one. Texts and emails from your boss are pretty standard things.

I used to have to remind myself, when I worked nights, which of my friends and family didn't turn their text noise off at night. I would forget at times, if I decided to text someone on my coffee break at 3am, that they would be asleep and that would not be appropriate. But many of my friends and family turn off their noise so they don't get text notifications at night time. Thankfully my schedule is normal now and I don't have to worry about such things.

Ahhhh... the pitfalls of modern technology. Instant communication at the fingertips no matter what time of day (or night) it is. All I'll say is that if Meghan is emailing or texting for work purposes, it just tells me that she's actively having thoughts and plans about things related to work issues and that's not a bad thing. Shows she's not a slacker.

As far as annoyances, I cannot relate as I do not use phones at all as a rule and the one I do have is intellectually challenged. Emails are my forte. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom