Duke and Duchess of Sussex, General News 2: December 2018 - February 2019

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
In 1952, HMQ was named Person of the Year. At that age, while she ascended to the throne, what has she done other than being born in the right order? Her position was made by circumstances beyond her control rather than her own accomplishments.

Point is, the Person of the Year is about influence and the people that these people touched and affected each year. Meghan's story, while having different meaning to different people, has certainly offered a lot of people some form of break from a world full of turbulence and exhaustion.

NBC's Keir Simmons said

DoS Meghan should be @TIME person of the year... she has taken on an impossible role with class and grace. Now she faces an onslaught from a jealous and medieval ‘Royal court’. She deserves support.

I agree with him.

It's taking it a bit far to call the BRF a "jealous and medieval Royal court"

It's taking it a bit far to call the BRF a "jealous and medieval Royal court"

Well, he is right.

I disagree

Trump, Putin and Meuller are also on the list.......

It's not an honour of an achievement its about the influence you've had on the news "for better or worse"

I like Meghan. However, compared to the other candidates, I'm not sure about her being on the list.

True, I will admit I became interested in the BRF again because of her. So I can see her influence from that POV.

I really like Meghan and think she has been great for BRF but she is on the list because she married a royal - she would not be on there otherwise. Jamal Khashoggi was murdered due to writing about the Saudi regime abuses. I think that is perhaps worthier of person of the year.

Although I seriously doubt that Meghan will actually be named "Person of the Year", just making it to the shortlist shows that she has made an impact on the world around her. Perhaps its only because she married Harry. Perhaps its because she was in Suits and then married Harry. Perhaps some feel she has made a general impact on the world around her. It really doesn't matter. It just says a whole lot that she made the list.

Its a very positive thing among too many negative things lately. ?

Kate made Time's "Person of the Year" shortlist in 2011. So I think Meghan's inclusion (like Kate's) is because she married into the BRF.

Kate was also on Time's PoY short list in 2011. Both considerations reflect a point in history: an incoming future queen and woman of color becoming a royal duchess. After an onslaught of criticism it's nice to see Meghan get this recognition. Her chances are slim to none to be on Time's cover but the nod must be gratifying.

Last edited by a moderator:
For getting married ? That is a pretty 'low bar' isn't it ?

I disagree- She is where she is [on this list] solely because a Prince fell in love with her, and she with him - that is all..
The page represents a person or persons who made an impact for better or worse and I looked at all the photographs, thought about who and what they were and what their impact was on our collective psyche. There were people I admired for their integrity and courage telling truth to power. There are others I despise for their venality that represents the very worst in mankind and just when you think you have hit rock bottom, they show us the basement.

There are situations that showed the tragedy of disasters that speak of man's inhumanity to man which broke our hearts and yet there are that movements and event that shine like a beacon in a very jaded world and show there is still hope. So, what does the DoS bring to the table? The world watched as Meghan and Harry charmed us as fell gloriously and demonstratively in love. We watched in wonder as they touched that secret, hidden place in our hearts that still believes in good versus evil, that love conquers all, that all is not lost.

We looked at Prince Harry (who had a noted penchant for blondes), fall in love and become engaged to a beautiful, dark-haired, bi-racial, divorced actress who is a smart, intelligent woman with a heart for charity. On 19 May 2018, this impossible modern day fairytale culminated in a wedding that was romantic beyond our wildest dreams. It seemed to emit waves of glorious warmth, a love so great we could see it for ourselves and a promise of unimaginable joy.

We live in a world that is more often intense, sad and deadly, weighed down by the total inequity that is the lot of our world but, for a short hour, we watched Meghan walk up an aisle and marry the man of her dreams and, for that short time we dared to dream with them.

Should Meghan nee Markle be on the list of finalists? I believe so.

Kate was also on Time's PoY short list in 2011. Both considerations reflect a point in history: an incoming future queen and woman of color becoming a royal duchess. After an onslaught of criticism it's nice to see Meghan get this recognition. Her chances are slim to none to be on Time's cover but the nod must be gratifying.

She's been on TIME cover, but Person of the Year cover is probably what you meant. :lol:

Is Keir Simmons a World authority on Medieval Court culture then or indeed of the current culture prevailing at the court of St James ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Here we go again. Meghan’s transition from Starlet to royalty isn’t going too well for her according to several news reports including the DF: Meghan Markle 'fed'up' of rumours of Kate Middleton feud.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/...Markle-fedup-rumours-Kate-Middleton-feud.html

That's actually something I can believe in. I doubt Meghan and Harry are reading the newspapers and articles, but they still probably get briefings and such. Not being able to come forward with the truth has to be frustrating, but also I doubt there's anything they could do to squash the rumors.

I've LONG thought that the obvious [and necessary] constraints on 'free speech' by members of the Royal Family would prove the greatest hurdle for a Woman accustomed to 'saying her piece', either on set, at the UN or on the 'interweb'.
The huge opportunities to 'do good in the World' that come with that rank also come at a price, and it doesn't surprise me that those might rankle with the Duchess.
We must all hope she finds herself able to adjust to them...

Same old re-hash that the tabloids have been banging on about for over a month. Nothing new. Richard Kay has been suffering withdrawal symptoms from Diana since 1997.

Same old re-hash that the tabloids have been banging on about for over a month. Nothing new. Richard Kay has been suffering withdrawal symptoms from Diana since 1997.

Whilst I am in no way supportive of the current endless round of negative stories, it begs the question as to why such negativity towards the couple? FYI, I don't buy the racist argument, IMO, that is far too simplistic!

The answer is plain and simple. Negativity and troubles and spats and people at odds with each other and ready to have a food fight is what sells. The juicier, the more scandalous and the more derisive, the more it sells. ;)

Drama sells, I suppose. Given the choice between happy and peaceful stories (dull!) and ones featuring lots of storms in teacups, tabloid editors go for the latter every time. This is especially true of the DM, which has its own regular crowd of ranters always ready to give these tales lots of clicks in the online section.
Meghan's a newcomer and different to most BRF brides in lots of ways, and so she mustn't be allowed to get away with anything, ever. (Harry is usually left alone as these journalists know he's popular with the public, except when they can link him with his wife's doings.)

Last edited:
I don't know if there is a general news thread for Harry? So I'll post this here.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-ne...164#ICID=ios_TMNewsApp_AppShare_Click_TWshare

If this is true, and considering the source that's truly an if, it'd be a great thing in his role at Captain General. It's always a boost for morale when there is involvement from someone in a position like Harry. I hope he stays safe along with all of the marines participating.

I think the spin on this article is a bit much but reading about the exercises that Harry will participate makes me think that he's walking around with a huge grin on his face in anticipation. Almost to the level of "boys and their toys" kind of thing but I know Harry takes this kind of thing seriously.

Its also going to give him a chance to go back to the Arctic once again. I wonder if he'll have a minute or three to build another ice castle loo for the troops like he did when he went up there with Walking for the Wounded. :D

Last edited:
I'm sure I've read about these international military exercises in Norway before, years ago in connection with Harry, speculating that he might join in. I think they are held on a regular basis every few years. Nothing to do with Russia but great for training troops in snow and ice and stark terrain. Harry will love it, just his cup of tea!

Especially the sentence about 'it is not due to be officially announced' and 'the Mirror has agreed not to publish sensitive details' is fishy...

If true, something like this would normally have been announced after his visit (the description looks much more like a visit than participation in the exercise).

I suspect it is true merely as it seems something of KP's usual trick when they have a PR problem to use the military to try to turn it around.

They did the same when William was getting stick for flying helicopters onto the Middleton's field- not long after he was flying the body of a service man killed in action in Iraq or Afghanistan back.

Apparently it’s been confirmed but according to the DM ‘He won’t be in uniform, it is a visit. He’s going to show his support for the troops’, the source told the Mail.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom