Duke and Duchess of Sussex, General News 2: December 2018 - February 2019

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It warms my heart to see Meghan so happy. Not only is she in love and is about to become a mother for the first time, but the British people have embraced her as their own. Everyone also embraced her on the tour. That must fill her with so much joy and that’s not something that can be faked.

Long may the Sussex love and happiness continue!

In any case, we all have a public face when we are in public. Sure Meghan's training as an actor probably has given her some mannerisms, but it's also taught her how to carry herself in spotlight intensive public settings. She's not fazed by cameras, which is a good thing. And she's definitely genuine, kindhearted, and a strong woman.

Indeed Meghan does have the role of a lifetime. :D It's a role a lot of people wish for and envy, without even understanding the depth and breadth of how difficult it must be. It's a role that many people seem to covet, but few people could manage to embrace and handle with the aplomb, grace and calm confidence Meghan is displaying. It's a good thing that she embraces her role and wants to be the best she can be.

It's easy for people like Nadia to take potshots, but not as easy for some observers apparently, to be inspired by Meghan's example.

Last edited by a moderator:
While Meghan marrying into the BRF is definitely an asset, a fresh voice and a woman that wants to make a difference, she's not the saving grace that'll glue the monarchy together. Team Windsor is. Working together as a family and a well oiled machine. Like her role in Suits, she's part and parcel of a cast that make up the "Firm".

I do think she's been abundantly bullied over the least little things that someone can pick up on and has been dragged down, trampled and the brunt of all kinds of imaginary wrongs. A lot of this is due to being the "flavor of the day" and is new and shiny in the limelight and people want to know everything there is to know about her. Massive media attention runs both hot and cold depending on the point of view of the writers and the people who read them.

Meanwhile, I do believe that Meghan is getting on with her life, learning her new role, settling into married life and is preparing to be a mother. She's ignoring the noise and in doing that, it doesn't affect her. I sincerely believe that she may think like I do and that if someone doesn't like her, that's *their* problem and not hers. She's learned over the years to not give rent free space in her mind to things that don't matter. That's strength right there.

Sure, Meghan is a very special person but then again, so are each and every one of us. To honor the late President George H.W. Bush today, I'm going to suggest that we're all part of "a thousand points of light" when we shine.

...She didn't have to nurture a relationship with him after their initial meeting. She had every right to walk away from that meeting and never look back. Why he feels she owes him something is beyond me? He acts as if she wouldn't be DoS if she hadn't met him. Something which couldn't be further from the truth.

I'm afraid I don't follow. Meghan did not even know Harry when she reached out to Piers, she asked to meet up with him, she asked to be on his show, and she asked to introduce him to her fellow cast members. Far from being a royal insider, Meghan had not spoken one word to Harry or any other member of the Royal Family.

Think what you will of Piers Morgan, but it is fairly evident that Meghan reached out to him to network and advance her own career. And there is absolutely no problem whatsoever with this-- this is what actresses, and people in all fields, do, as Piers acknowledges. Piers himself has no problem with this. The entire business world is made up of these sorts of relationships. The reality is, though, that the very day she met Prince Harry, for whatever reason, she decided she did not need this major networking connection. (And whatever opinion people hold of Piers, he is indeed a major networking connection.) People can draw their own conclusions about this. Personally, I find it strange that someone would throw away a professional connection that she spent literally years cultivating after one date. To me, personally, this implies that she met Harry and decided right away that she no longer needed important connections in her industry-- in other words, she knew she wouldn't be continuing in the industry. Others disagree and that is ok.

And again, say what you will about Piers, but this was a professional networking connection that she cultivated-- his own screenshots are conclusive of this and no one has ever denied it. Anyone would be upset if they responded to someone in their industry and that person took them up on the offer, decided they no longer needed the connection, and cut off all contact. It is rude whether they were friends or professional contacts. Whether others would go on air or write stories about it is another matter-- but then, that is the world they live in.

I absolutely agree with every word of this. I also agree with the earlier post stating that the problem with Meghan is that she comes across as insincere. I don't know the woman and I don't know any more or less about her than anyone else on this board. I also firmly believe that we're all entitled to our own opinions and impressions and don't get to "smack down" other posters whose opinions and impressions are different than ours (and frankly that "smacking down" is rampant on any board with anything to do at all with Meghan). But she does often come across as insincere. For all the talk of what a strong, independent woman she is I would remind people that women are perfectly capable of being strong and independent without being rude or abrasive. Again, I don't know whether Meghan is rude or abrasive but I can understand why people have that impression and I do think that cutting off a contact one cultivated and asking someone else to do the same when it could potentially further that person's career is rude and honestly, a bit entitled.

It does look suspicious and a bit "calculated" that she cut off Morgan and I say that as someone who finds Piers Morgan nauseating. She cultivated this relationship and then after one meeting with Harry she determined that she no longer needed contacts in that entertainment world? A bit odd, yes? However, it does fit with the narrative that she tends to cut off people quite coldly when they're no longer useful to her or when they no longer fit the image she wishes to project. Now, I myself cut off a toxic father and would never fault her for that. But it looking at a wide variety of her relationships across different settings (family, friends, marriage, professional contacts, etc.) it does seem that once she determines she has no use for someone she quickly cuts them out of her life and that's really not a very admirable trait. Granted, there may be tons of reasons that we're not privy to that led to her decisions but on the face of things it's really not the best look and no one should be shocked that stories are coming out that say essentially that.

Meghan has done nothing out of line. She has made tremendous sacrifices to marry for love. And upon joining the royal family, she has worked diligently to learn, to listen, and to fit in while also not losing who she is as a strong woman with a voice. At the same time, Meghan has muted her voice and began living under the radar, so she is adapting to necessary changes in a new country, a new marriage, and a very different life. Few people could manage to do all that she has done with such aplomb and grace. However, I truly hope Meghan is not going to completely silence her voice or lose herself. And obviously Harry doesn't want his wife to lose who she is either, because he surely wants her to continue being at her essence, the woman he fell in love with.

Absolutely true, she has done nothing at all out of line. And that's really what all of us, lovers and detractors, need to remember. As far as actually, truly, really stepping out of line, she hasn't. At all. That said, I would point out that while everyone likes to scream about how we don't know the truth and all we're hearing is rumors and you can't believe things you don't know firsthand when the reports are negative, the same would apply to the positive. I certainly would hope that she has worked diligently to learn, to listen, and to fit in. That would behoove anyone who found themselves in such a drastically new set of circumstances. But do we know that to be true? Not really. Not anymore so that we know the negatives to be true. Again it's all down to a matter of perception, impression, and opinion and on those fronts no one's is better or more true than anyone else's. She very well might have done all of those things. She also very well might be demanding, rude, determined to do things her way and her way only, and completely unaware of the way she's coming across. I suspect that in Meghan's case, like in almost anyone's case, the truth is closest to somewhere in between those two ends of the spectrum. Just my two cents, clearly, but while there's no need to vilify the woman when none of us know her personally, there's also no need to canonize her based solely on perceptions, impressions, and opinions.

When she has friendships that have lasted for decades, one can hardly make an assumption that she cuts off contact when they are of no use to her. Other than of emotional comfort as I'm assuming we are not accusing people of being users on that front.

Meghan's had exactly one friend that she cut off contact with. Well, actually the other party claimed it was her who cut off contact, so it's not on Meghan really.

As for professional relationships. People move on from jobs all the time. At times you stay in contact with a few that you are close to, and the rest you just lose contact with over time. I suppose everybody who has ever lost contact with a coworker can be labelled as a user and cold then.

:sad:

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-46460442
British Neo-Nazis suggest Prince Harry should be shot
BBC Investigation

A university student from Bath and a London teenager are among those involved with a UK version of a violent American neo-Nazi group linked to five murders, a BBC investigation has found.

A propaganda image placed online by the British group suggests Prince Harry is a "race traitor" and should be shot.

Private messages between members show the leader stating that police officers should be raped and killed.

Evidence suggests the leader is Andrew Dymock, 21. He denies wrongdoing.

The BBC has seen evidence he set up the new British group known as the Sonnenkrieg Division.

Mr Dymock, who is originally from Bath and whose father is a dentistry professor, has been studying at university in Wales.

For the past few weeks, the Duchess has conducted a few private meetings or unannounced engagements. I actually think for the time being, this is good, as it puts the focus and conversation on some of the things she is interested in.

It’s disheartening but not shocking that the Sussexes are getting that kind of hate. The white powder really wasn’t that long ago. I’m sure a lot more has occurred as well. People noticed their security has beefed up. I’d guess stuff like this is why.

Crazy and unbelievable and crass are some people!

Good reason to keep on with being kind and reasonable and not to read such horrors.

Please note that posts relating to Thomas Markle have been deleted.

Please note that this thread has been cleaned up. Before the thread is re-opened, members are invited to read the following information:

A number of posts have been deleted because they were either off-topic or contributed to the thread being closed due to their bickering and/or offensive nature. Such posts are unacceptable and are not in the spirit of the Royal Forums, which serves as discussion forum and source of information for a great number of people. The Royal Forums is not a platform for just a core group of members to use in promoting their own agenda - either in favour of or against the Duchess of Sussex.

The Royal Forums is an online discussion board that focuses on all aspects of royal life - both positive and negative. It is neither a fan-site nor a hater-site.

Everyone contributing to this forum has a right to post their thoughts and points of view - provided that they fall within the Forum Rules. Whether such view is positive or negative towards the subject, it is imperative that all members respect other members’ posts and respond - if such response is even necessary - in a constructive and amicable way.

The continual and progressively negative atmosphere within this thread resulting in a situation where people appear to be unable to post anything other than positive points of view on the subject is unacceptable and will no longer be tolerated. If members disagree with a post then they need only make their response once and need not reiterate their response over and over again.

Further, we will not tolerate those with an agenda or whose sole purpose is to be disruptive, hateful, to spread disinformation or to ignore TRF rules and this note. It has been noted that both supporters and non-supporters of the Duchess of Sussex fall into the aforementioned categories and we must warn that future issues will be dealt with by suspending their ability to post.

Finally, recent comments about individual journalists have taken on an uncomfortable and unacceptable tone. Constructive criticism of their work is fine, but personal attacks about them will not be tolerated.

Last edited:
My personal pick is between Christine Blasey Ford and Jamal Khashoggi for standing up to power.

However, it's nice that we can have one person on there that shows love and positiveness can triumph.

In other TIME and Sussex news. A photograph from the wedding has made its way to TIME's top 100 photos of the year.

PA Images

Verified account

@PAImages
40m40 minutes ago
More
Congratulations to our photographer @YuiMok who has made the @Time magazine top 100 photos of 2018.

Yui’s picture from the wedding of Harry and Meghan made him the only Brit in the list this year!

TIME Picks the Top 100 Photos of 2018

In other TIME and Sussex news. A photograph from the wedding has made its way to TIME's top 100 photos of the year.

PA Images

Verified account

@PAImages
40m40 minutes ago
More
Congratulations to our photographer @YuiMok who has made the @TIME magazine top 100 photos of 2018.

Yui’s picture from the wedding of Harry and Meghan made him the only Brit in the list this year!

TIME Picks the Top 100 Photos of 2018

Now THAT was a fantastic photograph! Now I can see this winning the TIME award!

For the year's award it is my personal pick would be *Separated Families* as that tells the world how we deal with families in crisis today which is a devastating way to live and little is done to help those in need.:sad:

For the year's award it is my personal pick would be *Separated Families* as that tells the world how we deal with families in crisis today which is a devastating way to live and little is done to help those in need.:sad:

I will say it's a tough year in competition. Unfortunately, the top three for me didn't have happy endings. Which is why the royal wedding was a even more special treat. SOMETHING nice in the year with so much gloom in the world.

For getting married ? That is a pretty 'low bar' isn't it ?

The significance of Meghan marrying into the British royal family is pretty historic. Now she might not win, but making the 2018 shortlist is an honor.

Yes, the wedding made it to Time’s top 100 photos of the year. It was a fantastic photograph.

The significance of Meghan marrying into the British royal family is pretty historic.

I disagree- She is where she is [on this list] solely because a Prince fell in love with her, and she with him - that is all..

I disagree- She is where she is [on this list] solely because a Prince fell in love with her, and she with him - that is all..

Oh, okay. Well, her making Time’s Person of the Year 2018 shortlist say different.

Congratulations, YRH! ?

That's not even the best pic from their wedding.

LaRae

I recall that Diana was on the shortlist in 1981-her wedding year. I remember that after describing her inclusion, Time said, “...and she came to stay.” Sadly, they were wrong.

Oh, okay. Well, her making Time’s Person of the Year 2018 shortlist say different.

Congratulations, YRH! ?

You need to look at ths realistically, not many people had heard of her before she started dating Harry

I don't believe she would have made the list if she hadn't married into the BRF

Although I seriously doubt that Meghan will actually be named "Person of the Year", just making it to the shortlist shows that she has made an impact on the world around her. Perhaps its only because she married Harry. Perhaps its because she was in Suits and then married Harry. Perhaps some feel she has made a general impact on the world around her. It really doesn't matter. It just says a whole lot that she made the list.

Its a very positive thing among too many negative things lately. ?

It's interesting that Meghan has been included in the list, but I also think it's a little sad that
out of the 10 slots for the Time shortlist, only 2 are women, and of those two, one of them is there solely because she married into the BRF. While she may in the future, at this point Meghan really hasn't done anything that would warrant her inclusion except be moderately famous in her own right, be pretty and have married someone royal. That's depressing to me.

NBC's Keir Simmons said

DoS Meghan should be @TIME person of the year... she has taken on an impossible role with class and grace. Now she faces an onslaught from a jealous and medieval ‘Royal court’. She deserves support.

I agree with him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom