The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #661  
Old 02-20-2019, 04:18 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Somewhere, United States
Posts: 1,056
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophie25 View Post
I don't care who's doing the spending my opinion of it is the same.


So this applies to Meghan, her friends and any and everyone of means?

What is a lot to one person is a drop in the bucket to another. It depends on what you have to spend to begin with. That doesn’t just apply to the wealthy either.
__________________

  #662  
Old 02-20-2019, 04:19 PM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Waterford, United States
Posts: 2,602
I think there’s an excellent chance that the hotel comped the suite for the party. And Meghan probably stayed in more modest quarters.
__________________

__________________
"If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will.”

Abraham Lincoln
  #663  
Old 02-20-2019, 04:29 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 4,338
Not sure how that makes it any better... I think that someone in MEg's positon should avoid the appearance of conspicuous consumption..

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-H Anglophile View Post
Meghan is not "on the Net." She was until she and Harry became serious and then she shut down her Tig blog and her Instagram. She can't be accountable for the Internet sites that discuss her.
I mean that there are endless stories about her on the Net and in the newspapers and endless minute discussion of her...
  #664  
Old 02-20-2019, 04:35 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Somewhere, United States
Posts: 1,056
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
Not sure how that makes it any better... I think that someone in MEg's positon should avoid the appearance of conspicuous consumption..


Then I guess she and every other royal should be wearing much cheaper clothes and shoes and jewelry all the time as a starting point....but then they would get knocked for not dressing nicely enough in a way that suits their position....
  #665  
Old 02-20-2019, 04:36 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 3,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
Not sure how that makes it any better... I think that someone in MEg's positon should avoid the appearance of conspicuous consumption..
Just Meghan? Or all members of the BRF?

There are plenty of examples of conspicuous consumption by most of them.
  #666  
Old 02-20-2019, 04:37 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Wherever, United States
Posts: 5,874
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
I mean that there are endless stories about her on the Net and in the newspapers and endless minute discussion of her...
You mean the baseless gossip that's really character assassination? Not the same.
  #667  
Old 02-20-2019, 04:38 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 3,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
I mean that there are endless stories about her on the Net and in the newspapers and endless minute discussion of her...
And how is that Meghan's fault?
  #668  
Old 02-20-2019, 04:40 PM
Lilyflo's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: England, United Kingdom
Posts: 706
I don't understand what it is that's getting under some people's skin.

Meghan is American so she's having a baby shower thrown by her friends. I doubt most British people will get their knickers in a twist about a private event that's culturally American. We've managed to cope with all the German traditions introduced by the Hanovers & Saxe-Coburgs so a baby shower is peanuts (& people have started having them here too).

It's in NYC - well so what? Most of her friends are on that side of the pond so she's on a short visit. Do people expect her never to visit them? Of course they don't. Loads of Brits visit the US for holidays, party weekends, Disney trips etc. It's not the moon!

It's in a swanky hotel. Well of course it is because her friends can afford it. Did anyone expect McDonalds? I don't think so. Brits are used to seeing our royal family hold private celebrations at top London hotels. Guests are seen arriving in designer clothes while carrying expensively gift-wrapped presents. No one faints with shock when this happens. We also hold celebrations in hotels ourselves, according to our own budgets. Not everything in the UK happens down the pub or in the village hall. We can cope with swanky for special days.

So I hope she's having a great time with her friends. It's the quality of those friendships that will mean most to her now & for the years ahead.
  #669  
Old 02-20-2019, 04:43 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: NYC, United States
Posts: 767
There must be a clash of cultures going on in this thread.

1. Meghan did not pay for her shower, her friends did.

2. The British and the American have different tastes when it comes to money.
In America, if you make your money and pay your taxes, you can spend it anyway you want as long as it's legal. It's not vulgarity, it's called "I worked my ass off, and if I want to treat myself or my friend, I will do so without anyone trying to shame me for it." I can absolutely guarantee that Meghan's American friends are thinking the same thing.

3. I won't tell the British how to behave regarding what they find tasteful or not. My English grandmother would rise out of her grave and slap the taste out of my mouth. However, disparaging another culture and calling a tradition that is supposed to be filled with fun and laughter for a new expectant mother vulgar is hitting below the belt.
  #670  
Old 02-20-2019, 04:47 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 4,338
Quote:
Originally Posted by O-H Anglophile View Post
Just Meghan? Or all members of the BRF?

There are plenty of examples of conspicuous consumption by most of them.
Someon in Meg's positon obviously means royals in her position. And while we know that they are all super rich, not all of them show it so much.
Quote:
Originally Posted by O-H Anglophile View Post
And how is that Meghan's fault?
I didn't say it was her fault, I said that we see plenty of her....
  #671  
Old 02-20-2019, 04:48 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: NYC, United States
Posts: 767
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilyflo View Post
I don't understand what it is that's getting under some people's skin.

Meghan is American so she's having a baby shower thrown by her friends. I doubt most British people will get their knickers in a twist about a private event that's culturally American. We've managed to cope with all the German traditions introduced by the Hanovers & Saxe-Coburgs so a baby shower is peanuts (& people have started having them here too).

It's in NYC - well so what? Most of her friends are on that side of the pond so she's on a short visit. Do people expect her never to visit them? Of course they don't. Loads of Brits visit the US for holidays, party weekends, Disney trips etc. It's not the moon!

It's in a swanky hotel. Well of course it is because her friends can afford it. Did anyone expect McDonalds? I don't think so. Brits are used to seeing our royal family hold private celebrations at top London hotels. Guests are seen arriving in designer clothes while carrying expensively gift-wrapped presents. No one faints with shock when this happens. We also hold celebrations in hotels ourselves, according to our own budgets. Not everything in the UK happens down the pub or in the village hall. We can cope with swanky for special days.

So I hope she's having a great time with her friends. It's the quality of those friendships that will mean most to her now & for the years ahead.
This and more.

RE the bold: not only expensive swanky hotels but palaces and castles and estate houses. OH MY!
  #672  
Old 02-20-2019, 05:28 PM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,537
How's the weather this evening! Would Meghan be able to fly back to London?
  #673  
Old 02-20-2019, 05:36 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: NYC, United States
Posts: 767
Yes...it's still snowing a bit, but it's not as bad as was predicted. However, they will probably need to D-ice the runway and turbulence out of NYC will be bad for maybe the first 30 minutes of the flight if she leaves tonight. If she leaves tomorrow, then it should be smooth sailing.
  #674  
Old 02-20-2019, 05:41 PM
Dman's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 15,776
No, Meghan is not paying for this shower. It’s being thrown by her friends. Good friends that’s showing her some good love and support.
__________________
"WE CANNOT PRAY IN LOVE AND LIVE IN HATE AND STILL THINK WE ARE WORSHIPING GOD."

A.W. TOZER
  #675  
Old 02-20-2019, 05:51 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 1,332
In other news...

Beyonce and JayZ won a BRIT Award this evening, and declared themselves to be Meghan fans!

https://twitter.com/scobie/status/1098330227699113984
  #676  
Old 02-20-2019, 06:26 PM
soapstar's Avatar
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Hermosa Beach, United States
Posts: 5,325
Seriously everyone?
__________________

__________________
Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Duke and Duchess of Sussex, General News Part 1: May 2018 - December 2018 JessRulz Current Events Archive 1136 12-04-2018 06:00 PM




Popular Tags
administrator archie mountbatten-windsor aristocracy bangladesh belgian royal belgian royal family crown prince hussein's future wife crusades current events cypher danish royalty denmark duchess of cambridge duchess of sussex duke & duchess of cambridge; duke of sussex dutch royal family family search french royalty friendly city future future wife of prince hussein germany greece hamdan bin mohammed hill house of bernadotte house of grimaldi jerusalem jumma king philippe king salman lithuania lithuanian palaces meghan markle memoir mohammed vi monaco royal monarchism monarchist monarchy mountbatten netflix nobel prize norway history official visit pakistan prince charles prince daniel prince harry princely family of monaco princess benedikte princess margaret qe2 queen mathilde queen paola rania of jordan romanov family rown royal children royal tour south africa spanish royal state visit state visit to denmark sweden swedish history trump valois visit from sweden


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:23 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2019
Jelsoft Enterprises
×