The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-17-2019, 02:23 AM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarlita View Post
The general public are not so easily fooled these days by media stories. They know to take sensational stories with a grain of salt. Especially in the UK where they have lived with rubbish stories for such a long time that turn out to be false and made up.
I myself am not convinced this letter from Meghan to her Dad is real. I just don't believe she wrote it.
And I deserve the right to have that view.
T.
From the samples I've seen shown, the handwriting is very much Meghan's. She's got beautiful penmanship. Of course, the bits and pieces shown were to highlight her father's complaints and whines but I do definitely believe that the letter was written by Meghan.

No law can be sacred to me but that of my nature. Good and bad are but names very readily transferable to that or this; the only right is what is after my constitution, the only wrong what is against it.

~~~Ralph Waldo Emerson~~~
Old 02-17-2019, 02:59 AM
Royal Highness

You could be very right Osipi, i haven't seen it. But I have become quite a sceptic these days.

Old 02-17-2019, 03:05 AM
Imperial Majesty

Skepticism is a good thing actually, it leads to examining everything from every angle and getting all sides of a story before leaping to conclusions.
No law can be sacred to me but that of my nature. Good and bad are but names very readily transferable to that or this; the only right is what is after my constitution, the only wrong what is against it.

Old 02-17-2019, 03:10 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
I don't think something like this would ever happen. It would create even more negativity as Harry goes against everything his family stands for and shirks his duty to crown and country and Meghan "made him do it". It would make matters much, much worse than they already are. It would mean that the bullies have won and the Sussex family caved to it. They pretty much have a private life already away from prying eyes exactly where they are right now.

Meghan is a strong woman and very comfortable in her own skin. A woman like this never caves to negativity or reacts to it in public. I'm sure all of this, especially with her father, is deeply upsetting but with a strong support system in Harry and his family, she'll get through this just fine and focus on her newborn child and her royal role where she can actually make a difference for the positive.
While I wouldn't like the Sussexes to depart to a remote locale anytime soon, I certainly wouldn't see it as them 'caving' to anything. And anyway I was thinking more-so this kind of decision could happen down the road, possibly for a period of time, not forever. It could be a special adventure for the Sussexes, with them still doing important work and occasionally touring as well, but mostly having access to a lot of private time in which to nurture their children. It might be idyllic and strengthening for them at some point, particularly if the 'hunting the Sussexes' atmosphere continues or increases. Obviously, the Sussexes do not have to make such a decision to decamp. But again, I see it as a choice and an option, not any kind of capitulation or running away. At this point, IMHO, the media seem to need the Sussexes much more than they need the media. There are of course, many neutral and objective outlets who are not focused on gossip, trivia, and attacks. I just think more kindness and responsible behavior among all outlets needs to happen posthaste.

Of course, Meghan is exceedingly strong. She's a Leo in case that fact was missed by anyone. Leos have very strong personalities. Plus, it seems to me that Meghan was nurtured by very strong women in her mother and her maternal grandmother. Of course, Meghan has had many positive things to say about her father nurturing her as well when she was young. But she clearly has a very strong bond with her mother, and she once wrote about spending quality time with her mother and grandmother and how much that time together meant to her growing up.

For all we know, there's a history of problems with the Markle family relationships, which made Meghan wary all along about how things might turn out on her wedding day. I detected some nervousness on her part when she was asked about her father during the engagement interview. Still, Meghan clearly hoped her father would attend her wedding. It appears that the sister did everything possible to influence Markle Sr in a negative way in the lead-up to the wedding. But he has clearly made poor choices of his own accord.

Beyond all of that, the shameful negativity toward Meghan is coming from a number of quarters besides her father and half siblings. There is an excess of OTT abuse that is rather shocking and worrisome being directed toward a pregnant woman. Of course, the Sussexes are carrying on gracefully without showing any strain or anxiousness in public. They appear strong in their faith and in their sense of purpose and in their kindness and generosity. But at some point, all of the hate, jealousy and negativity needs to stop. Perpetrators should take pause and examine their motivations and inclinations.

And very obviously, Meghan and Harry are already going about their business and making a difference in so many ways. They are an inspiration and they have been setting an example that is resonating on a number of levels, unsurprisingly. I wouldn't see that changing should Harry at some point be appointed a special role that would take them far away for a period of time to continue making a difference to youth, to the Commonwealth, and to needy people around the world.

Quote:
From the samples I've seen shown, the handwriting is very much Meghan's. She's got beautiful penmanship. Of course, the bits and pieces shown were to highlight her father's complaints and whines but I do definitely believe that the letter was written by Meghan.
True, and Meghan obviously had to be aware of the possibility that her father would publicly share the letter, so I would think she was careful of what she wrote, while still genuinely doing her best to pour our her heart to her father, letting him know she truly cared and wanted to find a way to keep him in her life.

It's clearly Meghan's handwriting. Take a look at the Larry King interview with Meghan and Patrick J. Adams on Youtube. At the end of that interview, Meghan demonstrates to Larry her calligraphy talent. It's the same handwriting as in the letter, which is very unusual in this day and age. Meghan is also said to have handwritten her own Frogmore wedding reception invitations for last May. That's not surprising, since she used to work on the side producing wedding invitations, while she was trying to land work as an actor.
Old 02-17-2019, 04:10 AM
Nobility

Repeat a lie long enough and it sticks. Not everybody is an astute royal watcher who is able to separate the wheat from the chaff. Damage has been already done to a certain extent worldwide. From where I am at, the negative narrative that is been pushed has stuck regrettably in the main stream media.
As for their popularity of rather the interest they trigger, this is undeniable. As a benchmark, the website. Ever since they've got married, every time i connect to this site, it is always their subforum that has the highest viewership
Old 02-17-2019, 05:38 AM
Royal Highness

I read the full print article in People. I don't see anything in the article that was out of line by Meghan's friends. Everything they said was very supportive, reasonable and straightforward, IMO. Possibly, some may not like that her friends pointed out how Meghan has always been royal in the graceful, elegant, and gracious way she has always interacted with people and conducted her life. In other words, as they said, Meghan herself has not changed. It's how she's being viewed publicly that has changed.

I was glad to see it mentioned by Meghan's friends how much Harry is supporting and taking care of Meghan. I'm sure she is doing the same for Harry. Still, it's hard for us to know what kind of emotional toll they might be experiencing, no matter how strong they are. Hopefully, they are being shown a tremendous amount of caring and support from their friends, Doria, and the royal family. Possibly, the worst of the negativity against Meghan is not being shared directly with Meghan and Harry.

As far as references to Meghan doing her own makeup, her own wardrobe styling and all of the cooking for herself and Harry, I think all of the younger royals probably do some of their own cooking. But clearly they all have access to royal staffers, and to utilizing the services of a chef. Also, surely Meghan and Harry have cleaning help. But I understand that the point being made in the article is that the Sussexes aren't into living a grand lifestyle. Possibly, the friends are attempting to point out that Meghan married Harry for love, not for a royal lifestyle. I think that's obvious. But also some of the royal perks are nice, even though being royal comes with a hefty price.

One of the disappointments I have re their union is the whole restrictive nature of being a British royal. IMO, Meghan had a very strong voice in the world, and to a great degree, her voice has been muted, at the same time that her visibility and fame profile have exploded. I suppose Meghan made a conscious decision that she would be making some sacrifices, but that in the long run marrying Harry would allow them both to make a huge difference together on a larger scale than perhaps she felt she was able to achieve in her previous humanitarian pursuits. Since she's also deeply in love, she probably continues to feel the sacrifices she's made have been worth it.

Still, I miss Meghan's ability to be accessibly outspoken, and I miss her Instagram and her Tig where she shared so much of her humanity and her lifestyle, which inspired many young women. Most of all, I miss seeing those sweet pictures she used to share of her dogs. Giving Bogart away/ leaving him behind with friends must have been the hardest sacrifice for her of all.
Old 02-17-2019, 05:47 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaiaMia_53 View Post
True, and Meghan obviously had to be aware of the possibility that her father would publicly share the letter, so I would think she was careful of what she wrote, while still genuinely doing her best to pour our her heart to her father, letting him know she truly cared and wanted to find a way to keep him in her life.

It.
but why write to him? Given that he is erratic, it would probably be better to pick up the phone. I suppose he might not have talked to her, but It would be safer than writing him a letter he has now publicised..
I think that before the wedding he was quiet and did not use his relationship with her to get media interest..but she didn't AFAIK try to visit him before her marriage.. when surely that would be the right time to talk to him and advise him that he would have to be very discreet from now on, if he didn't want to hurt her image.
Old 02-17-2019, 06:00 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
One of the most level commentaries I have read and the author has a truly wonderful grasp of the English language.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catherine Bennet, Observer Columnist for the Guardian
. . . . . seconds after identifying Meghan as breath of fresh air, decided she was also a hardened manipulatrix, cruel to her poor stalker of a daddy, with a way of being pregnant that really pisses off newsroom executives.
(...)
https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...that-shames-us
Quote:
Within months of her marriage, with zero contribution from their victim, sections of the UK press had identified Meghan as someone of whom virtually anything malicious might be said, regardless of accuracy, public interest and its potential impact on her health. Neither her advancing pregnancy nor one attempted correction has brought any respite.
Quote:
Morgan is sympathetic, instead, to the emotionally abusive man who, with the unstinting support of the British press, has committed to destroying Meghan’s pleasure in her wedding, her pregnancy and, by the sound of it, her forthcoming motherhood – “her poor father”.
Quote:
Whatever privacy concessions Meghan Markle was willing (however inexplicably) to make in exchange for royal privileges, she could not, reasonably, have anticipated these sustained personal attacks, for which the sole justification is – ludicrously – that they originate in a man who should ideally be rewarded with a restraining order. Would any of this, it is increasingly asked, given the indulgence extended to most royal hangers-on, have happened if Meghan were not, to use her term, biracial?
Old 02-17-2019, 06:02 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
but why write to him? Given that he is erratic, it would probably be better to pick up the phone. I suppose he might not have talked to her, but It would be safer than writing him a letter he has now publicised..
I think that before the wedding he was quiet and did not use his relationship with her to get media interest..but she didn't AFAIK try to visit him before her marriage.. when surely that would be the right time to talk to him and advise him that he would have to be very discreet from now on, if he didn't want to hurt her image.

Who knows @Denville? There's obviously a lot we don't know about the family relationships. But there are things we can surmise. IMO, the obvious bitterness of the half siblings surely plays some role in the tangled relationships. Samantha has admitted to encouraging her father to do the very thing that he said Meghan & Harry had warned him against doing. I would guess that in writing the letter after her wedding, Meghan was genuinely hoping to reach her father, and that she could not be certain he wouldn't listen to reason. Therefore, she made an honest attempt to get through to him, while at the same time keeping in mind that he'd already shown a propensity for not being trustworthy.

In terms of whether or not Meghan reached out to her father for a visit before her engagement annoucement, I don't think we can say with certainty that no attempts were made by Meghan and Harry to visit her father. OTOH, it's possible that while they were still courting and navigating other concerns, including work commitments and obstacles they needed to surmount in their path toward marriage, they may have wished to allow 'sleeping dogs to lie' in regard to Markle Sr, as he was in an undisclosed location in Mexico. The media did not discover Markle Sr's whereabouts until after the engagement announcement. And it has been suspected that one of Markle Sr's brothers leaked the location. M&H and KP went out of their way to invite Markle Sr to come to London well ahead of the wedding so that he could get acclimated, and they could assist him and make him feel comfortable. Markle Sr publicly revealed this himself.

I would suggest reading Andrew Morton's book on Meghan. Despite the obvious filler, presumptions, and the trivial fluff that was excerpted, Morton did conduct substantial research in L.A., which probably involved some attempt to cross-check stories. He did not speak to Meghan's half-sister, but Morton talked to Thomas Markle Jr, and to former school friends of Meghan's, teachers, etc., as well as former neighbors and friends of Doria and Thomas Markle, Sr. The book contains some informative and enlightening details in addition to a lot of interesting photographs.
Old 02-17-2019, 06:23 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
I don't think something like this would ever happen. It would create even more negativity as Harry goes against everything his family stands for and shirks his duty to crown and country and Meghan "made him do it". It would make matters much, much worse than they already are. It would mean that the bullies have won and the Sussex family caved to it. They pretty much have a private life already away from prying eyes exactly where they are right now.

Meghan is a strong woman and very comfortable in her own skin. A woman like this never caves to negativity or reacts to it in public. I'm sure all of this, especially with her father, is deeply upsetting but with a strong support system in Harry and his family, she'll get through this just fine and focus on her newborn child and her royal role where she can actually make a difference for the positive.
That's exactly what I am thinking. An additional thought: we all admire women like the "Dowagers of old", like the Dowager Countess of Grantham or other ladies with a spine of steel. Queen Mom comes to mind. They were all born with certain character traits but it is what they had to go through in life that made them: forged in fire and ice.

Meghan is there to stay. She is obviously welcomed as part of her new family and there are many good female mentors to find: from a female queen with a very male husband, to a former "mistress" who became a future queen, to a duchess and a countess who have been both stripped of their dignity by the media. There are the two princesses who grew up as the daughters of a duchess who did some very wrong steps - and "blood tells, right?" the media not whispered but yelled for most of their lives.

Then there are the men who have stood proudly in defending their "beloved" ladies through showing their care in public - Meghan is part of an extraordinary family full of understanding for her position. Plus the Royals have truly loyal servants - and the way Meghan was welcomed by the family surely gave her a good standing with them as well.

So I think she is here to stay, she is not one to be cowed by hostile people. If the loss of her paternal family is the prize she has to pay for her new family, she payed it knowingly. Her father wasn't a man of complete virtue on dealing with his family after all before, and as much as it might hurt her personally, she sees her duty to protect the family she is now part of and if that means to cut him of, she'll do it. Life at court has alwys been a tough way to life, for the prize of the place in the limelight is high. She entered there because of her love for Harry and she will stand tall there, because she loves him and is loved back.
And the media? Must loose out in the end, because they cannot break Meghan, they can only forge her into a very sharp lady indeed. I'm to old to see her in her later years but I am sure she'll be a remarkable old Duchess like those in the old times we hear talked about still.

She like Catherine, were good choices as wifes. They both have a warm heart but a core of steal.
Old 02-17-2019, 06:53 AM
Commoner

Moonmaiden, I think you have summed up Meghans situation very well indeed.

The only thing I would add is that I would not be surprised, jn fact I would expect, that several of the ladies who gave married into this family and been exposed to similar extreme levels of outright vile and hateful commentary, would suffer from anxiety, panic attacks and the like.

There are examples of this from Dianas' life, I think the Japanese royal family(?). I recall reading somewhere that Camilla often checks into some sort of relaxation resort due to her fear of flying and/or stress of tours.

I know if I had to do what Meghan's done and put up with the rubbish she's had thrown at her I'd be making the most of every single pampering privilage available to me and that not so little bump she's working on😊
Old 02-17-2019, 07:47 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
A piece from the Guardian on Meghan's treatment by the media.

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...that-shames-us
I read this last night & thought it was excellent. It's refreshing to read something intelligent on the subject.
Old 02-17-2019, 09:03 AM
Royal Highness

I'm not able to access the full article by Morton in the Telegraph, but I seriously doubt Meghan ever intentionally compared herself to Diana in terms of becoming a British royal princess and marrying into the the royal family. Meghan may have compared herself with Diana in terms of wanting to do good in the world and wanting to make a difference for people in need. But those are two different things.

Meghan had no possible idea she would one day meet and fall in love with Diana's son, Prince Harry. In no way has Meghan "set herself up" to be compared to Diana. Those kinds of comparisons are the aim of the media and 'cash-in' journalists with slick narratives like Andrew Morton.

I did say recently in another thread that Morton conducted significant research and he cobbled together some interesting details about Meghan's early life. However, that doesn't negate the fact that Morton is an opportunist, and the book he wrote about Meghan lacks depth, nuance and substance because it was hashed out quickly in order to turn a quick profit in the lead-up to the royal wedding. I didn't purchase it, but I did borrow it from the library. Some of the family details are informative and interesting, and there are a lot of nice pictures. That's about it. The attempts to draw conclusions about Meghan's relationship with her first husband are obviously presumptuous and lacking in reliable substantiation.
Old 02-17-2019, 09:22 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaiaMia_53 View Post
I'm not able to access the full article by Morton in the Telegraph, but I seriously doubt Meghan ever intentionally compared herself to Diana in terms of becoming a British royal princess and marrying into the the royal family. Meghan may have compared herself with Diana in terms of wanting to do good in the world and wanting to make a difference for people in need. But those are two different things.
I seem to recall that there was a video making the rounds of what (I think) was a birthday party for Meghan when she was a little kid and we saw her wearing a crown. This is not unusual for little girls who like to pretend they're ballerinas or fairy princesses or even Wonder Woman.

I'm sure that Meghan was aware of who Diana, Princess of Wales was (who wasn't??) and knew of Diana's charitable works and wished to emulate her in her own life but to suggest that she wanted to become a Diana 2.0 or even want the lifestyle that Diana had or marry into the royal family is really, really stretching things to a convoluted fantasy level.

Growing up we all have people that we admire and want to be "just like" when we get older. I still have pictures of me as a wee one sitting at my toy piano with an elaborate candelabra on it. I wanted to grow up to be just like Liberace. Needless to say I grew out of that but he did inspire in me a love of music.

Old 02-17-2019, 09:32 AM
Royal Highness

Yes, I agree. As I said, since I can't access the article, I'm only discussing what I feel based on the little I do see. It's certainly nonsense for anyone to hold up video of a young girl playing Queen for a Day, as some kind of evidence of wanting to be 'Diana,' or for that matter, 'Queen Elizabeth.' For a child, pretending to be 'Your Royal Highness,' is like dreaming of being a beauty pageant queen or a princess or a ballerina. There was even a television show called, Queen for a Day, when I was growing up. It's very silly to even bandy that video about as evidence of anything in particular. It's just a moment captured on video of a young girl playing with her friends. We used to play Hopscotch, Tag, and London Bridge Is Falling Down when I was a child. So what.

I can't really imagine what it must feel like for Meghan, since it's hard to fully grasp what her royal lifestyle is like with all of the access to luxuries that come with a price. The thing is, Meghan had access to a luxurious lifestyle in her former life pre-Harry, but she still chose along with some pleasurable indulgences, to mostly live simply, graciously, elegantly. Her main focus has seemingly always been on work, friendships, travel, giving back to others, advocating for women, honoring her parents, taking care of and advocating for dogs, and living her best life to the fullest each and every moment.

It's a strange thing about life. Most likely whatever Meghan experienced as challenges at every point of her life, are what prepared her for the ins-and-outs of what she's facing today. She really strikes me as someone who learns, absorbs, and applies what she's learned. Meghan also seems to be a strong, determined woman who does not suffer fools gladly or otherwise. Harry and Meghan both appear to be strong in their love, trust and commitment toward each other and in the depth of their passion for doing good in the world.

I would imagine that Meghan is not so much concerned about the continual negativity and tabloid noise as much as she's anxious that the lies about her do not grow out of proportion. Especially not to the point of obscuring and detracting from the work that she and Harry are trying to do on behalf of the royal family to help benefit their patronages, charities, the Commonwealth, and communities across Great Britain.
Old 02-17-2019, 09:59 AM
Heir Apparent

Oh dearie me...

MANY enemies will be made by this nakedly political stance..I realise non-caucasians hereabouts will approve, but a foreigner barging in on the way education is run, in a country she's been resident in for very little time, will alienate more people than it pleases.
She needs to learn/be TOLD that anything that can be construed as political is OFF limits for a member of the BRF...
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/o...a5BFL3se_AjTGk
Old 02-17-2019, 10:12 AM
Imperial Majesty

Drats. I can't read the full article unless I subscribe. Perhaps someone can answer a question for me. If Meghan is supporting this movement, wouldn't it have been cleared ahead of time? Somehow, I just can't imagine Meghan going rogue and jumping in on something without putting thought into it.

Old 02-17-2019, 10:17 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyevale View Post
Oh dearie me...

MANY enemies will be made by this nakedly political stance..I realise non-caucasians hereabouts will approve, but a foreigner barging in on the way education is run, in a country she's been resident in for very little time, will alienate more people than it pleases.
She needs to learn/be TOLD that anything that can be construed as political is OFF limits for a member of the BRF...
Scorching earth policy. RR and the media brought sexist, misogynistic, and racial undertones with their innuendos. Let just go full blown, lance the abscess and bring all issues to the open. Whatever she says she is going to be criticized. At this point if it s an issue students at the ACU want to address, bring it on, tired of the silent hypocrisy
Old 02-17-2019, 10:17 AM
Imperial Majesty

One sentence did jump out for me from that letter that was made public and that is "The only thing that helps me sleep at night is the faith and knowing that a lie can’t live forever."

*She* knows they are lies. *She* knows the aims of those that put this kind of thing out there and *she* knows eventually the truth will win out in the end.

Old 02-17-2019, 10:29 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyevale View Post
Oh dearie me...

Is it possible for someone who can access the entire article to summarize whatever it was that Meghan actually said?

I would be surprised if Meghan said anything overly political without having cleared it, on the other hand, she wouldn't be the first royal caught off guard and saying something that drew strong criticism. I'd just like an idea of what she said specifically.

Closed Thread