Duke and Duchess of Sussex, General News 2: December 2018 - February 2019

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Moonmaiden, I think you have summed up Meghans situation very well indeed.

The only thing I would add is that I would not be surprised, jn fact I would expect, that several of the ladies who gave married into this family and been exposed to similar extreme levels of outright vile and hateful commentary, would suffer from anxiety, panic attacks and the like.

There are examples of this from Dianas' life, I think the Japanese royal family(?). I recall reading somewhere that Camilla often checks into some sort of relaxation resort due to her fear of flying and/or stress of tours.

I know if I had to do what Meghan's done and put up with the rubbish she's had thrown at her I'd be making the most of every single pampering privilage available to me and that not so little bump she's working on?

I'm not able to access the full article by Morton in the Telegraph, but I seriously doubt Meghan ever intentionally compared herself to Diana in terms of becoming a British royal princess and marrying into the the royal family. Meghan may have compared herself with Diana in terms of wanting to do good in the world and wanting to make a difference for people in need. But those are two different things.

Meghan had no possible idea she would one day meet and fall in love with Diana's son, Prince Harry. In no way has Meghan "set herself up" to be compared to Diana. Those kinds of comparisons are the aim of the media and 'cash-in' journalists with slick narratives like Andrew Morton.

I did say recently in another thread that Morton conducted significant research and he cobbled together some interesting details about Meghan's early life. However, that doesn't negate the fact that Morton is an opportunist, and the book he wrote about Meghan lacks depth, nuance and substance because it was hashed out quickly in order to turn a quick profit in the lead-up to the royal wedding. I didn't purchase it, but I did borrow it from the library. Some of the family details are informative and interesting, and there are a lot of nice pictures. That's about it. The attempts to draw conclusions about Meghan's relationship with her first husband are obviously presumptuous and lacking in reliable substantiation.

I'm not able to access the full article by Morton in the Telegraph, but I seriously doubt Meghan ever intentionally compared herself to Diana in terms of becoming a British royal princess and marrying into the the royal family. Meghan may have compared herself with Diana in terms of wanting to do good in the world and wanting to make a difference for people in need. But those are two different things.

I seem to recall that there was a video making the rounds of what (I think) was a birthday party for Meghan when she was a little kid and we saw her wearing a crown. This is not unusual for little girls who like to pretend they're ballerinas or fairy princesses or even Wonder Woman.

I'm sure that Meghan was aware of who Diana, Princess of Wales was (who wasn't??) and knew of Diana's charitable works and wished to emulate her in her own life but to suggest that she wanted to become a Diana 2.0 or even want the lifestyle that Diana had or marry into the royal family is really, really stretching things to a convoluted fantasy level.

Growing up we all have people that we admire and want to be "just like" when we get older. I still have pictures of me as a wee one sitting at my toy piano with an elaborate candelabra on it. I wanted to grow up to be just like Liberace. Needless to say I grew out of that but he did inspire in me a love of music. :D

:previous: Yes, I agree. As I said, since I can't access the article, I'm only discussing what I feel based on the little I do see. It's certainly nonsense for anyone to hold up video of a young girl playing Queen for a Day, as some kind of evidence of wanting to be 'Diana,' or for that matter, 'Queen Elizabeth.' For a child, pretending to be 'Your Royal Highness,' is like dreaming of being a beauty pageant queen or a princess or a ballerina. There was even a television show called, Queen for a Day, when I was growing up. It's very silly to even bandy that video about as evidence of anything in particular. It's just a moment captured on video of a young girl playing with her friends. We used to play Hopscotch, Tag, and London Bridge Is Falling Down when I was a child. So what.

I can't really imagine what it must feel like for Meghan, since it's hard to fully grasp what her royal lifestyle is like with all of the access to luxuries that come with a price. The thing is, Meghan had access to a luxurious lifestyle in her former life pre-Harry, but she still chose along with some pleasurable indulgences, to mostly live simply, graciously, elegantly. Her main focus has seemingly always been on work, friendships, travel, giving back to others, advocating for women, honoring her parents, taking care of and advocating for dogs, and living her best life to the fullest each and every moment.

It's a strange thing about life. Most likely whatever Meghan experienced as challenges at every point of her life, are what prepared her for the ins-and-outs of what she's facing today. She really strikes me as someone who learns, absorbs, and applies what she's learned. Meghan also seems to be a strong, determined woman who does not suffer fools gladly or otherwise. Harry and Meghan both appear to be strong in their love, trust and commitment toward each other and in the depth of their passion for doing good in the world.

I would imagine that Meghan is not so much concerned about the continual negativity and tabloid noise as much as she's anxious that the lies about her do not grow out of proportion. Especially not to the point of obscuring and detracting from the work that she and Harry are trying to do on behalf of the royal family to help benefit their patronages, charities, the Commonwealth, and communities across Great Britain.

Last edited:
Oh dearie me...

MANY enemies will be made by this nakedly political stance..I realise non-caucasians hereabouts will approve, but a foreigner barging in on the way education is run, in a country she's been resident in for very little time, will alienate more people than it pleases.
She needs to learn/be TOLD that anything that can be construed as political is OFF limits for a member of the BRF...
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/...k0EZhSfV2KqwLc37-KQEEyB-0XxterAa5BFL3se_AjTGk

Last edited:
Drats. I can't read the full article unless I subscribe. Perhaps someone can answer a question for me. If Meghan is supporting this movement, wouldn't it have been cleared ahead of time? Somehow, I just can't imagine Meghan going rogue and jumping in on something without putting thought into it.

Oh dearie me...

MANY enemies will be made by this nakedly political stance..I realise non-caucasians hereabouts will approve, but a foreigner barging in on the way education is run, in a country she's been resident in for very little time, will alienate more people than it pleases.
She needs to learn/be TOLD that anything that can be construed as political is OFF limits for a member of the BRF...
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/...k0EZhSfV2KqwLc37-KQEEyB-0XxterAa5BFL3se_AjTGk

Scorching earth policy. RR and the media brought sexist, misogynistic, and racial undertones with their innuendos. Let just go full blown, lance the abscess and bring all issues to the open. Whatever she says she is going to be criticized. At this point if it s an issue students at the ACU want to address, bring it on, tired of the silent hypocrisy

One sentence did jump out for me from that letter that was made public and that is "The only thing that helps me sleep at night is the faith and knowing that a lie can’t live forever."

*She* knows they are lies. *She* knows the aims of those that put this kind of thing out there and *she* knows eventually the truth will win out in the end.

Oh dearie me...

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/...0EZhSfV2KqwLc37-KQEEyB-_0XxterAa5BFL3se_AjTGk

Is it possible for someone who can access the entire article to summarize whatever it was that Meghan actually said?

I would be surprised if Meghan said anything overly political without having cleared it, on the other hand, she wouldn't be the first royal caught off guard and saying something that drew strong criticism. I'd just like an idea of what she said specifically.

Is it possible for someone who can access the entire article to summarize whatever it was that Meghan actually said?

I would be surprised if Meghan said anything overly political without having cleared it, on the other hand, she wouldn't be the first royal caught off guard and saying something that drew strong criticism. I'd just like an idea of what she said specifically.

Sunday Times is using Meghan for clicks & manipulating the public! The excerpt below is from The ACU website about The Duchess of Sussex first official visit as ACU Patron. She met with a number of students who presented various topics to her.

“We were proud to bring together a diverse group of individuals who represent the ACU's core activities, including the scholarship schemes we manage on behalf of the Commonwealth Scholarship Commission, the Marshall Aid Commemoration Commission, and the Foreign and Commonwealth Office, and the Blue Charter programme, funded by the Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy”.

https://www.acu.ac.uk/news/view?id=294&x[0]=news/list

I *hope* this is lisable...

"The Duchess of Sussex has supported a campaign by Black Academics and Students to 'decolonise the curriculum' and confront the legacy of Empire and racism on University campuses in her first apparently political intervention since joining the Royal family.

The movement to add black and female thinkers and writers -rather than focusing on the 'pale,male and stale' has been hugely controversial since campaigners tried to topple a statue of the Victorian Imperialist Cecil Rhodes at Oxford three years ago.

One of her first engagements at ACU the duchess encouraged scholars to 'open up the conversation' about what is taught at universities. She added that the existing way of doing things 'can be really antiquated'. Just open up that conversation so we are talking about it, as opposed to continuing with that daily rote.. sometimes that can be really antiquated and needs an update'

The rest of the front page article continues with details of the baby, and biographical details of the Duchess prior to marrying into the BRF.
The entirety of the article is on the inside pages which [alas] I cannot access , but I hope this gives you a flavour?

Attachments

• meg.jpg
    meg.jpg
    165.7 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:
but why write to him? Given that he is erratic, it would probably be better to pick up the phone. I suppose he might not have talked to her, but It would be safer than writing him a letter he has now publicised..
I think that before the wedding he was quiet and did not use his relationship with her to get media interest..but she didn't AFAIK try to visit him before her marriage.. when surely that would be the right time to talk to him and advise him that he would have to be very discreet from now on, if he didn't want to hurt her image.

It shouldn’t surprise anyone that emotions would run high at that point. How do you explain 5 pages in a phone conversation without being interrupted and possibly derailed? Sometimes none live interaction is the only way to get through what you need to say. And do you honestly think a phone call can’t be recorded? Even if it wasn’t, I don’t know if that’s a good or bad thing given the situation. It won’t stop him from telling the media and mischaracterize the conversation.

This is an extract from the article but it contains everything she is supposed to have said:

----------------------------

When the Duchess of Sussex visited City University in London on one of her first outings as patron of the Association of Commonwealth Universities (ACU) this month, her enthusiasm for change became clear. After hearing a presentation from Meera Sabaratnam, who is leading a push to decolonise the curriculum at the School of Oriental and African Studies (Soas), the duchess responded animatedly.

“Just open up that conversation so we are talking about it as opposed to continuing with that daily rote . . . sometimes that approach can be really antiquated and needs an update,” she said.

On the same visit she was visibly surprised to learn about the lack of black and female professors in British universities. She reportedly said “Oh my God” when she was shown a sheet of data showing that UK professors were overwhelmingly white men.

------------------------

The article sounds like a storm in a teacup to me but it's yet another thing she must be on her guard against because any political comments she makes will be jumped on.

Oh dearie me...

I read the article. How is anything she said REMOTELY political? First there is a lot of conclusion drawn by the author, some incorrectly, that has nothing to do with what Meghan actually said. She simply expressed shock at the stats regarding the lack of diversity in the faculty and said we should open a conversation rather than just accept things as how they’ve always been. Last I checked, none of this involved government policies. This is the type of thing that bothers me. Anything to do with racism or sexism is considered political by some. Reality is times have changed. Policies are in place that is supposed to protect from discrimination. It’s the practice that hasn’t changed. So no, it’s not about politics anymore.

Update: so now we’ve been told her comment on anything other than shock at the stats and asking Amy to take a picture might not be true. And considering how long it took for that comment to be reported when she has RRs on her every moment, I tend to believe that unless I see physical evidence to the contrary.

Last edited:
but why write to him? Given that he is erratic, it would probably be better to pick up the phone. I suppose he might not have talked to her, but It would be safer than writing him a letter he has now publicised..
I think that before the wedding he was quiet and did not use his relationship with her to get media interest..but she didn't AFAIK try to visit him before her marriage.. when surely that would be the right time to talk to him and advise him that he would have to be very discreet from now on, if he didn't want to hurt her image.

What do you want her to do? If the people magazine is to be believed, she tried to reached him by phone to no avail. She even stated in her letter that her phone number is the same which implies that he has not tried to reached her. She found out about his health issues via TMZ on the week of her wedding

She didn't utter those words. There is an entire video of that engagement and all Meghan did was ask Amy to take a picture and expressed surprise of the numbers. The papers is doing what is always does and once again put words in her mouth to cause this reaction. And they have the nerve to get defensive when people call them out? They straight up lying now to sell papers.

As for Meghan writing her father? Why shouldn't she? Sometimes talking to someone face to face or even on the phone is out of the question. She wanted to get her thoughts to him without him interrupting her. It is not her fault this man can not be trusted whatsoever and gave her letter away. She has nothing to be ashamed about in her words. All he did was prove her point.

She tried. He failed. Now she can move on with her life. It has been months. Clearly she has.

Last edited:
The fact is that for some parts of the British media & society, Meghan has committed the crime of becoming a royal Duchess while not being white.

:previous:
Shouldn't the expectations of her life be what she expects of herself and not what the rest of the world expects of her? She should live up to her own standards first and foremost before even thinking what the world wants of her.....who comes first in her life, Meghan or the world? And that goes for each of us also.

In a fantasy world, maybe. But reality is more complicated, especially her. It’s not as if she would just be left alone to deal with any mistakes on her own. Constant misconstrusion of her actions and speculation of devious intention are a reality in her world. Anything that can remotely be misconstrued means RRs will come at her with pitchforks.

And like Clooney’s comment, my pitchforks comment is figuratively speaking.

For the diversity in university staff I think it's a good subject to discuss. The BRF should be seen to be supportive of issues of concern for ALL citizens of the United Kingdom not just the majority. Meghan is not lobbying members of Parliament to enact legislation or working with the head of Education in the UK to change things. That's where royal and political lines cross.

One sentence did jump out for me from that letter that was made public and that is "The only thing that helps me sleep at night is the faith and knowing that a lie can’t live forever."

*She* knows they are lies. *She* knows the aims of those that put this kind of thing out there and *she* knows eventually the truth will win out in the end.

Of course she knows it is lies. Most these publications can't even keep their stories straight from one week to the next. It would do her well to just ignore it but it is clearly hard when it is your own father spewing it.

The fact is that for some parts of the British media & society, Meghan has committed the crime of becoming a royal Duchess while not being white.

If wanting to see more diverse educators is seen as too political then that is just a sad state of affairs and just confirms why people have such issue with Meghan's existence in the BRF.

I read the article. How is anything she said REMOTELY political? First there is a lot of conclusion drawn by the author, some incorrectly, that has nothing to do with what Meghan actually said. She simply expressed shock at the stats regarding the lack of diversity in the faculty and said we should open a conversation rather than just accept things as how they’ve always been. Last I checked, none of this involved government policies.

The only thing I am surprised about is that she was surprised about those statistics. It is common knowledge - and if she didn't know, she should have been informed about such a core issue that was to be discussed on this visit beforehand as part of her prepartion for this visit.

In addition, I don't agree that this is an a-political issue. Especially as many universities are public universities, so the government is quite involved. That's not to say that Meghan should not support a movement from within that challenges the status quo, so an outcry is unwarranted imo, but suggesting that it is in no way a political issue is the other extreme.

As for the letter to Dad, his releasing it to the Fail proved he has lied about no contact from Meghan for months and was getting paid for the lie. The threat about releasing more of the letter was stopped in its tracks with KP considering legal action against Tom Sr and the Fail for publishing the letter without her permission. So far nothing. In the DM interview Dad showed the reporter he had Meghan's number and dialed to prove he couldn't reach her. Showing personal information of a member of the BRF to a reporter proves Tom Sr is a security risk. Once that got out the security teams probably changed Meghan's number immediately.

Last edited:
This is an extract from the article but it contains everything she is supposed to have said:

----------------------------

When the Duchess of Sussex visited City University in London on one of her first outings as patron of the Association of Commonwealth Universities (ACU) this month, her enthusiasm for change became clear. After hearing a presentation from Meera Sabaratnam, who is leading a push to decolonise the curriculum at the School of Oriental and African Studies (Soas), the duchess responded animatedly.

“Just open up that conversation so we are talking about it as opposed to continuing with that daily rote . . . sometimes that approach can be really antiquated and needs an update,” she said.

On the same visit she was visibly surprised to learn about the lack of black and female professors in British universities. She reportedly said “Oh my God” when she was shown a sheet of data showing that UK professors were overwhelmingly white men.

------------------------

The article sounds like a storm in a teacup to me but it's yet another thing she must be on her guard against because any political comments she makes will be jumped on.

Just note: that Meghan reacted "animatedly" is an interpretation, we know she is always animated when confronted with things at one of her outings. It's not proof she reacted to a certain political aim.

The direct quote is not complete - leaving somethin g out is an easy way to manipulate the readers.

She reacted "visibly surprise" is another interpretation. "She reportedly said" does not claim that someone known herad her say that, but that it was reported. Probably in the Daily F. How believable is that all in all? Not at all!

It shouldn’t surprise anyone that emotions would run high at that point. How do you explain 5 pages in a phone conversation without being interrupted and possibly derailed? Sometimes none live interaction is the only way to get through what you need to say. And do you honestly think a phone call can’t be recorded? Even if it wasn’t, I don’t know if that’s a good or bad thing given the situation. It won’t stop him from telling the media and mischaracterize the conversation.

I agree that Meg's father is a bit of an oddball and its hard to trust him. But I'd say he was less likely to tape a conversation than to release a letter..
the best thing IMo would have been for her to visit him before she got engaged.. not left things to just before the wedding which is when he seems to have become a bit flakey, and then ended up not able to go...

I have got one question
He was provided with the same things in term of assistance that Doria was provided with. Why is it that Doria and her side of the family know how to behave, and Thomas' side can't behave.
Granted they did not meet in person, but they communicated regularly over the phone. Proof he shared with the press the supposed topics of his conversation with Harry. Harry met Doria at the Invictus Games but back then, they were not engaged, they were just dating.

From the date of the engament on, they were on the same footing.

I agree that Meg's father is a bit of an oddball and its hard to trust him. But I'd say he was less likely to tape a conversation than to release a letter..
the best thing IMo would have been for her to visit him before she got engaged.. not left things to just before the wedding which is when he seems to have become a bit flakey, and then ended up not able to go...

How you know that? He literally called Meghan's number with a reporter right there. Knowing what we know of this man he is clearly capable of anything. There was rumors he was trying to record her call on Father's Day with that entire secret GMB interview. I wouldn't put it pass him.

Also this man took a picture of the letter he sent to Meghan *just in case* he needed to show his reply.

And I will throw this out there.... I doubt this behavior of Thomas is anything new. I will go as far as say this has probably been happening for years. It was just easier for her to deal with pre royalty when ridiculous amounts of money wasn't flashed in his face. Giving him money herself seemed to grant her some relief per her letter. He doesn't even deny taking money from her.

The fact that Thomas has never met Harry says a lot about their relationship. Harry met her mother and all her close friends. This people are important to her. And Meghan meet the people important to Harry. They all made that effort. So the fact that Thomas wasn't included speaks volumes.

Meghan loves her father but I get the feeling this relationship has been problematic long before Harry arrived. And little comments made by the half siblings, the ex BFF, and Thomas himself highlight that.

Last edited:
What a gross article! Putting the onus on Meghan, when it’s the students who are attending and paying tuition who want a more diverse, more truthful curriculum. People talk about America facing its racial past, but neglect to look in the mirror at their own.

I’ve always said that there’s more to the story about what happened before the wedding. Thomas Markle has been playing the sympathy card for a while, along with the help of Piers Morgan - who we all know have an axe to grind. Him releasing the letter did him no favors. Not only did he deepen Meghan’s pain over this situation, it brought some of the truth to light. Something he wasn’t telling in those interviews in the papers and with Morgan. I’m sure Thomas will pop up on tv again.

Btw, all of this is making Samantha Markle very happy.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom