The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-07-2019, 08:23 AM
Nobility

My question is why do they care?
They are not mainline, they are irrelevant, they are so low on the totem pole, They are not senior royals, they have been sent to Frogmore; a graveyard, their children should not be HRH. This is the usual mantra even here. So really why do they care since they are so irrelevant.

Old 02-07-2019, 08:33 AM
Nobility

CT was the RR who broke the news of their relationship in The Star of all places IIRC and has been nasty in several other articles.

Whether or not this was a good idea or will be of any help remains to be seen but none of these journalists has any leg to stand on.

Old 02-07-2019, 08:56 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavs View Post
CT was the RR who broke the news of their relationship in The Star of all places IIRC and has been nasty in several other articles.

Whether or not this was a good idea or will be of any help remains to be seen but none of these journalists has any leg to stand on.
Camilla Tominey worked for Sunday Express at that time. In terms of her story accuracy, I’ve always believe her sources outside of the palace was more accurate than the sources within. I could tell by some of the stuff she got right that it was from other places, and she’s certainly well connected in her government connections. She has been far less friendly since Meghan worked with Hubb Community Kitchen.

I don’t have time to address the People article now. I’ll talk about that later. But this is the first time I’ll be buying the magazine in years for the entire article.
Old 02-07-2019, 09:13 AM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I'll stand there and give cow eyes to the horse from whose mouth speaks what is really going on before I believe media "stories".

Sorry for calling Meghan a horse.
No law can be sacred to me but that of my nature. Good and bad are but names very readily transferable to that or this; the only right is what is after my constitution, the only wrong what is against it.

~~~Ralph Waldo Emerson~~~
Old 02-07-2019, 09:25 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
I'll stand there and give cow eyes to the horse from whose mouth speaks what is really going on before I believe media "stories".

Sorry for calling Meghan a horse.
Horses are beautiful and sentient creatures, so it's really a compliment to Meghan.

But you will obviously never hear anything from DoS horse's mouth directly on this topic.
Old 02-07-2019, 09:49 AM
Heir Presumptive

I'm not a fan of Camilla Tominey, and didn't click to read the article, but did read the bit that was published in People, and I have to say that if this information leaked by "friends" was done with the permission of the DoS, I think it is a mistake. I don't think it's a Diana-level feeding the press error, but I do think it amps up a story (the estrangement from her father) that had largely died down, and it doesn't do much to change the overall arc of the story. A dignified silence would have served her in the long term a lot better than giving friends permission to talk about something that happened, and it sets a precedent that may be harder to control in the future than it may seem on the surface.
Old 02-07-2019, 10:14 AM
Royal Highness

"Never complain...never explain" no longer works in this social media and 24 hour news cycle age...especially with a biracial woman marrying into the BRF and the latent racism that obviously still exists.

LET ME BE CLEAR..I don't think that they should respond to EVERY tabloid nonsense because most people can see through those. But the level of cyber and media abuse has been at a horrendous level and I think some sort of a response was warranted.
Old 02-07-2019, 10:29 AM
Heir Presumptive

The main lesson in this age of digital media is that you are never going to be able to completely control the narrative, and it's useless to try. For people who like Meghan and Harry, that is frustrating, but the best thing the Sussexes can do is what they have been doing, and doing well in the last few months: do their jobs, give their full effort to supporting the causes that matter to them, and preserve a discreet silence on their private lives. Anything else just feeds the frenzy.

The people who despise Meghan and Harry are not going to be swayed by any amount of leaked inside stories, and there is a real downside to allowing "friends" to become part of the narrative.
Old 02-07-2019, 10:43 AM
Royal Highness

I would agree with you if Harry and Meghan had their friends talking every 5 minutes and coming out and refuting every tabloid story.

I don't think this is about swaying anyone who already had established opinions. This is her friends now giving their views just like the other side has been free to do.
Old 02-07-2019, 10:44 AM
Commoner

I hate comparing women but really she should have taken a page from Beyonce's book who in my opinion exemplify perfectly the 'never complain, never explain'. She has it 100x worse than Meghan for those who know... and she always rise above. It has served her well. I remember the time around her pregnancy.. Meghan truly has heard nothing compared to her...

The DoS clearly decided to take the high road and not discuss those issues publicly, her friends should have respected that decision and follow her lead.
And she has an event tonight. Poor girl.
Old 02-07-2019, 10:58 AM
Heir Apparent

While I agree in some situations the don't complain, don't explain strategy still works, we are living in a different time here. With the way and speed of which information travel these days, ALL has to be nimble and agile enough in strategy. This isn't just the royal PR machine, but rest of the world as well.

The biggest problem with today is the 24/7 news cycle and need for clickbait. Once someone has a story, all other publication repeats it. For a lot of people, if it's repeated enough, then it's true. The Palace can't always be so passive about everything.

Don't get me wrong, I understand why they believe in it as it is tried and true strategy. I just think you can't stick to one method only in this day and age.

I think this is a risky move to an extent, and can only be used rarely.
Old 02-07-2019, 11:22 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvaH View Post
I hate comparing women but really she should have taken a page from Beyonce's book who in my opinion exemplify perfectly the 'never complain, never explain'. She has it 100x worse than Meghan for those who know... and she always rise above. It has served her well. I remember the time around her pregnancy.. Meghan truly has heard nothing compared to her...

How ironic that the very person who did not want to be victimised in the media by her father is now being victimised in the media by her friends. The DoS clearly decided to take the high road and not discuss those issues publicly, her friends should have respected that decision and follow her lead.
And she has an event tonight. Poor girl.
There actually is no comparison at this stage of DoS Meghan's life. Beyonce is a living legendary diva in the public eye, and she wants to be. When it comes to OTT celebrity frenzy, Beyonce knows how to take the good with the bad and to use it skillfully for her own ends. The breaches of privacy Beyonce has been able to weather and survive is due to her inner strength, her family's unity and support, and her own deep self-knowledge. But this worldwide, larger-than-life fame is a life Beyonce sought after since she was a child. It is a life Beyonce wants and basks in. She lives large, and she has enough power accumulated to control her image at will. Beyonce can speak out publicly and via her music.

As a member of the British royal family, DoS Meghan has no such leeway, and no such full-on carefully accumulated power and public authority to independently craft and protect her own image, although Meghan too possesses deep inner self-knowledge and strength. She also has her mother, Doria's, love and support and the love and protection of her husband and her dearest friends. But Doria lives in California, and Meghan is pregnant with her first child while facing a firestorm of negativity, even as she adjusts to a peculiar life inside one of the most ancient and high profile families in the world. That's unusual and incomparable.

As Meghan said during the engagement interview, while she was a working Hollywood actor, she was not being written up in entertainment publications and tabloids during her career. Even after her modicum of success with Suits, the public notice and recognition was very gradual and limited.

You are correct that there is no comparison. The lack of substantive comparison is deeper than you think.
Old 02-07-2019, 01:12 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalriada View Post
Looks like Meghan is using her friends to feed the media without the use of KP Press staff, not unlike Diana:
https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/m...-a4059536.html
She has new PR guy. I'm sure it is his idea
https://www.cosmopolitan.com/enterta...-pr-secretary/
Old 02-07-2019, 01:12 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
If this is indeed true and these friends have had Meghan's tacit consent to speak to the media, then I think Meghan has made a real error of judgement, and probably made the situation a lot worse for herself. I can only hope that this is not the case.
This same thing happened leading up to the Cambridge engagement announcement. It was done through Hello Magazine.

I was waiting to see, Harry and Meghan, make a move on all of this. They had to.

A.W. TOZER
Old 02-07-2019, 01:35 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
This same thing happened leading up to the Cambridge engagement announcement. It was done through Hello Magazine.
I don't quite remember the Hello magazine story prior to the Cambridge engagement, but I do remember that, not long before the announcement, they had arrived together at a friends wedding. This was a break from their habit, at the time, of arriving and leaving separately, and had got the media chatting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ista View Post
I'm not a fan of Camilla Tominey, and didn't click to read the article, but did read the bit that was published in People, and I have to say that if this information leaked by "friends" was done with the permission of the DoS, I think it is a mistake. I don't think it's a Diana-level feeding the press error, but I do think it amps up a story (the estrangement from her father) that had largely died down, and it doesn't do much to change the overall arc of the story. A dignified silence would have served her in the long term a lot better than giving friends permission to talk about something that happened, and it sets a precedent that may be harder to control in the future than it may seem on the surface.
I completely agree with you! The story about Meghan's Markle relatives was dying out, and was hardly getting any airtime. All this intervention (if it is indeed that) has done has brought the story back alive again. Bad move, IMO.
Old 02-07-2019, 01:40 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

I've deleted a number of posts. As a mod noted earlier, this thread is not about the media and their treatment of Meghan. So please don't turn this latest article from People Magazine, into a discussion about the tabloids/media.

I've also deleted comments about Meghan's relationship with her father, comparisons between Kate and Meghan and a discussion about Camilla Tominey's work and her access to the royals.

And just as a reminder, the Markles are off-topic.
Old 02-07-2019, 02:36 PM
Heir Presumptive

I don't like it when royals or their "friends" allow things like this to appear. To me royals should embody "never complain, never explain" because they do have a relatively privileged life compared to so many others.

Do we know when Meghan begins her maternity leave as such? Are there any more engagements upcoming?
Old 02-07-2019, 02:40 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
Do we know when Meghan begins her maternity leave as such? Are there any more engagements upcoming?
They have an engagement tonight.
Old 02-07-2019, 03:48 PM
Super Moderator

Please note that off-topic posts / posts that add nothing substantive to the discussion have been deleted. If members are in doubt as to whether to make a post or not, please contact any of the relevant Mods who will be please to give guidance. Thank you.
Old 02-07-2019, 03:52 PM
Majesty

Judging by some comments on Twitter etc one would think that Meghan had sat down and written the People article herself! This is very far from the Diana stuff that came out in the War of The Wales, which is what Meghan has been virtually accused of in some quarters.

I think that Meghan's friends are genuinely appalled by the vitriol aimed at Meghan and so several did agree to speak publicly to People, sticking up for her. This was not a particularly good idea, IMO.

However, in a 24 hour news cycle in an era of continuous Clickbait, I'm not sure that being a sitting duck and never responding to anything written, works either any more. It would have been more helpful to Meghan if a couple of her friends had agreed to be named, in this article, IMO.

I don't believe that Meghan was in charge of releasing this article, (something else she's been accused of!) IMO it was the idea of the new assistant KP communications manager.

Closed Thread