Duke and Duchess of Cambridge Current Events Thread 2: December 2011-April 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zonk

Administrator
City
Somewhere in
Country
United States
WilliamDuke300.png
catherine-300.png

Arms of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge

Welcome to the Duke & Duchess of Cambridge current events thread 2
commencing 1 December 2011

The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge Current Events thread 1, can be found here http://www.theroyalforums.com/forum...urrent-events-1-29-april-2011-a-30833-55.html

Topics related to the wedding of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge can be found in the royal wedding subforum.

Last edited:
Hey Zonk, they have 2 coats of arms. Can you enlighten this Yank as to why? Russo surmises that William belongs to one of them and he and Catherine are the second. Am I close? Thanks!

:previous:

Almost correct Russo - William's coat of arms is the one on the left, with the Garter belt wrapped around the shield. Catherine's coat of arms is the one on the right, which has a shield comprising of William's CoA on the left and her CoA on the right. A combined CoA is customary for a female who has married into a royal family - a merge with her husband.

I know some people don't like the design, but I still think Catherine's CoA is one of the nicer designs for a Royal Bride joining the Windsor clan. I think it's the colours and how well they go together.

I was having problems accessing TRF last and this week, so have only now learned of William's part in the rescue of those sailors. Congrats to him and the rest of his crew/fellow Officers on getting those men to safety and home.

Pippa Middleton's sure to be a hit with the Royals at Christmas | Mail Online

Meanwhile Prince Charles and Camilla are hoping William and Kate will see in 2012 with them at Birkhall in Scotland. It will depend on whether William has to work over New Year but Charles and Camilla love having them to stay and hope they will be able to make it,’ says a source.
‘Charles has installed a woodchip boiler which he’s keen to show off.’
Last year Camilla had to cancel her New Year with Prince Charles when her daughter Laura gave birth to twins Louis and Gus on New Year’s Eve.

I know some people don't like the design, but I still think Catherine's CoA is one of the nicer designs for a Royal Bride joining the Windsor clan. I think it's the colours and how well they go together.

I agree. I think that fact that it is plain makes it blend very nicely when combined with Williams. I like it a lot.

I think its great that Pippa has been invited for Christmas. It would probably be very comforting for Catherine. I was kind of wondering about how the holidays would go now that Catherine is part of the BRF. What about her mom and dad? Wont they be invited as well?:flowers:

So tomorrow is the concert by Gary Barlow in aid of the Princes Trust as well The Foundation of Prince William and Prince Harry and now even though not in name The Duchess of Cambridge. So William Catherine,Charles and Camilla will be in attendance. I'll be awake so I'll tweet any info I manage to get.

Last edited:
So tomorrow is the concert by Gary Barlow in aid of the Princes Trust as well The Foundation of Prince William and Prince Harry and now even though not in name The Duchess of Cambridge. So William Harry Catherine,Charles and Camilla will be in attendance. I'll be awake so I'll tweet any info I manage to get.

I'm looking forward to seeing your updates. You keeps us all in the loop. Thank you so much :flowers:.

Any minute now....
RegalEyes Mark Stewart

Mass ranks of photographers await the arrival of Prince of Wales, Duchess of Cornwall & The Cambridges out on their first joint engagement

3 minutes ago https://twitter.com/#https://twitter.com/#https://twitter.com/#
Retweeted by victoriaarbiter

RoyalReporter Richard Palmer

We're all outside the Royal Albert Hall, where William, Kate, Charles and Camilla are due shortly. Laura Lopes and Sara Parker Bowles too.

23 minutes ago https://twitter.com/#https://twitter.com/#https://twitter.com/#https://twitter.com/#

so, we don't will see the first christmas card of william and kate? this is confirmed???

Yes, their spokesman from St James's Palace said that William and Harry have never sent out Christmas cards and don't intend to start. So no official Christmas card from William and Kate.

Yes, their spokesman from St James's Palace said that William and Harry have never sent out Christmas cards and don't intend to start. So no official Christmas card from William and Kate.

oh so saddddd, I really want to see the firt christmas card from cambridge cuople, and in the future the cambidge family. william and harry's last christmas card was in 2005, it's correct?

So what is the reason for not wanting to send out cards with his new wife? I would think he would know that the people would love to see that. Their own Christmas card as the Cambridges, wouldnt that be nice.:flowers:

Hmmm. I thought there was maybe some important reason. The fact that they never have doesnt mean William wouldnt want to. Well maybe he will change his mind, maybe not. It would be nice to see. :flowers:

Hmmm. I thought there was maybe some important reason. The fact that they never have doesnt mean William wouldnt want to. Well maybe he will change his mind, maybe not. It would be nice to see. :flowers:

Well if he wanted to, surely he would have. It isn't just William who would be in the Christmas card, guessing as he's married it would be a joint decision between him and Catherine. With a statement released from a royal palace regarding a card I don't see him going back on it. It would make St James' look foolish.

:previous:
Interesting precedence to establish early in their marriage. Just wondering if/when they would consider changing their view on sending Christmas cards or are they just emailing their friends. :flowers:

I'll go with when they have children. This might sound strange for royals but perhaps the Cambridges and Harry are too 'young' for a christmas card on their own.

I wonder if the reason they aren't going to send christmas cards it more environmentally related. After all, where do most cards end up? In the trash.

However, if I ever received a christmas card from a member of the royal family, I would frame it and put it on display in my house.

I suspect most of the christmas cards go to other royals and close friends. Am I right in thinking that?

I wonder if the reason they aren't going to send christmas cards it more environmentally related. After all, where do most cards end up? In the trash.

However, if I ever received a christmas card from a member of the royal family, I would frame it and put it on display in my house.

I suspect most of the christmas cards go to other royals and close friends. Am I right in thinking that?

I would imagine, as you said you would, most would keep the cards longer than other Christmas cards, and since Charles sends out Christmas cards I doubt the environment is the reason. Perhaps they just don't want to and won't even in the future.

The cards are also sent to their staff. :flowers:

Oh, most definitely. What a treat that would be. I do however agree with you about other people and cards. I know I don't keep them for a long time (though there are some from close friends that were given to me for events like graduations that I don't want to throw out for sentimental reasons). I certainly hope that William and Catherine will send out Christmas cards later in their marriage, but would understand completely if they don't. It's their choice.

A story in Monday's Times, which is unfortunately paywalled so I won't link to it, suggests that Buckingham Palace will this week announce the destination of the overseas visit which William and Kate will make on behalf of HMQ in the second half of next year as part of the Diamond Jubilee celebrations.

To quote the article:

'In common with other members of the Royal Family, the couple are expected to visit a number of overseas realms while the Queen is expected to confine her travelling to the UK.'

In addition, the article goes on to state that Kate is likely to undertake solo engagements while William is in the Falklands in the early part of the year. The piece states that Kate has, as we've seen, visited and been in touch with several charities in order to decide which ones she wishes to support. The arts and art therapy are highlighted specifically. The article is quite direct about the fact that it is very much Kate who is driving this process and that she's very confident. William has been supportive, but this is all Kate. With regards to her first proper solo engagement an aide is quoted as saying:

“It is not going to be one of those other duties that the Royal Family dip in and out of all the time. She knows that she can bring profile to subjects. If they are issues close to her heart, that gives her all the more confidence. She has been trying to work out those fields where she can most make a difference”.

The Times is paywalled as I said (and I, for my sins, choose to pay the subscription) so I thought a summary would be helpful. The Times has had very good sources of late. It was of course their sister paper the Sunday Times who had the scoop on Sarah Burton way ahead of everyone else.

Last edited:
A story in Monday's Times, which is unfortunately paywalled so I won't link to it, suggests that Buckingham Palace will this week announce the destination of the overseas visit which William and Kate will make on behalf of HMQ in the second half of next year as part of the Diamond Jubilee celebrations.

To quote the article:

'In common with other members of the Royal Family, the couple are expected to visit a number of overseas realms while the Queen is expected to confine her travelling to the UK.'

In addition, the article goes on to state that Kate is likely to undertake solo engagements while William is in the Falklands in the early part of the year. The piece states that Kate has, as we've seen, visited and been in touch with several charities in order to decide which ones she wishes to support. The arts and art therapy are highlighted specifically. The article is quite direct about the fact that it is very much Kate who is driving this process and that she's very confident. William has been supportive, but this is all Kate. With regards to her first proper solo engagement an aide is quoted as saying:

“It is not going to be one of those other duties that the Royal Family dip in and out of all the time. She knows that she can bring profile to subjects. If they are issues close to her heart, that gives her all the more confidence. She has been trying to work out those fields where she can most make a difference”.

The Times is paywalled as I said (and I, for my sins, choose to pay the subscription) so I thought a summary would be helpful. The Times has had very good sources of late. It was of course their sister paper the Sunday Times who had the scoop on Sarah Burton way ahead of everyone else.

I'm looking forward to seeing what she does as her first solo engagement. It's wonderful to see that she's getting involved with causes that she's passionate about, and is the one in charge of choosing what she wants to support and represent. She'll be doing some great things during her lifetime (well, she has the potential, and it would be marvelous to see it realized to the fullest).

Thank you for the summary, EIIR, it sounds like Kate is ready to go at the starting gate. It will be interesting to see her out and about on behalf of the patronages she'll be sponsoring and what the results will be due to her high profile. I wish her the best of luck in her endeavors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom