Duke and Duchess of Cambridge Current Events Thread 2: December 2011-April 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
William and Harry have both said countless time that if you do something wrong or the Queen doesn't like a decision you have made she will ring you up and tell you that you've made a mistake. So therefore I'm pretty sure if this decision bothered the Queen she would have voiced her opinion by now to William and Catherine.

I know I'm not a member of the royal family but I don't attend every memorial service of every deceased family member. So I don't get the big fuss about this.

Not to mention, that despite the royalty/heir business, it is just plain rude to quiz people about when/if they are going to have children. I guess I'm old fashioned but frankly I think it's just plain tacky to bring that up to a young couple when they have just announced their engagement. But then, people continue to feel it is THEIR right to know everything.

Yes, they're madly in love - but, whisper it, have Mr and Mrs Wales got just a tad middle-aged?

Some quotes from the article:
The couple have spent the past week in the French Alpine ski resort of Meribel, along with Kate’s parents and her younger brother James. Sister Pippa and her friend George Percy were reportedly there, too – all sharing the same chalet.
To make the most of this life, William has insisted that his and Kate’s diaries are cleared of Royal engagements for the coming months. He is especially keen that his wife, who has been thrust into the spotlight in his absence, should have some time to herself. A courtier confirmed: ‘You will not be seeing the Duchess now for some time.’
Their only excitement is playing tennis together at the Harbour Club in Chelsea, where Kate has been taking lessons from a coach. They are fiercely competitive on the court, which is one of the few times they do occasionally bicker, but Kate is determined to maintain her game, which is stronger than William’s.

Not to mention, that despite the royalty/heir business, it is just plain rude to quiz people about when/if they are going to have children. I guess I'm old fashioned but frankly I think it's just plain tacky to bring that up to a young couple when they have just announced their engagement. But then, people continue to feel it is THEIR right to know everything.

Yeah, when you think about it the interviewer is basically saying - "so, do you guys intend to have unprotected sex sometime soon?".

Let's get back on topic.

Now we are speculating on their body language, if Kate is hesitant in regards to having kids, etc.

Back to the Current Events of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge....

Empress Merel said:
Like I said, the Queen approved. Who are we to judge? You don't have to attend that particular service in order to pay your respects or remember the deceased for what they were.

Did she approve? We don't know that. We don't even really know how much real authority she has to influence his actions.. We still aren't even 100% that they are on holiday. I was raised that attending funerals, wakes, memorials etc were also a sign of respect for the primary mourners as well.

Is there a way I can get someone to send me a message when the topic of this thread is changed and this holiday debate ends?
I've never been one to push W&K to have children but if she states she's pregnant maybe people will get over this non-issue.

Yes, they're madly in love - but, whisper it, have Mr and Mrs Wales got just a tad middle-aged?

Some quotes from the article:

The couple have spent the past week in the French Alpine ski resort of Meribel, along with Kate’s parents and her younger brother James. Sister Pippa and her friend George Percy were reportedly there, too – all sharing the same chalet.

To make the most of this life, William has insisted that his and Kate’s diaries are cleared of Royal engagements for the coming months. He is especially keen that his wife, who has been thrust into the spotlight in his absence, should have some time to herself. A courtier confirmed: ‘You will not be seeing the Duchess now for some time.’

Their only excitement is playing tennis together at the Harbour Club in Chelsea, where Kate has been taking lessons from a coach. They are fiercely competitive on the court, which is one of the few times they do occasionally bicker, but Kate is determined to maintain her game, which is stronger than William’s.

It is a bit odd. For him. Maybe for her is understandable. But William? During the Jubilee Year - isn't that odd? Given who he is. What was Charles doing at William's age - wasn't he doing major Royal stuff?

It is a bit odd. For him. Maybe for her is understandable. But William? During the Jubilee Year - isn't that odd? Given who he is. What was Charles doing at William's age - wasn't he doing major Royal stuff?

Prince Charles has been doing royal duties since a very young age; he was certainly a lot younger than William is now.
However, Charles was the Heir, whereas William is only the son of the Heir; their situation cannot be compared.
Once Charles becomes King - then it is a different question altogether.

I think this is just an April Fools joke but thought it was funny regardless
Wills and Kate among celebs expected to enjoy Titanic Two's maiden voyage - Mirror Online

Is there a way I can get someone to send me a message when the topic of this thread is changed and this holiday debate ends?
I've never been one to push W&K to have children but if she states she's pregnant maybe people will get over this non-issue.
I so second that motion. At the end of the day it's their decision and nothing we say right now will change it, so I really think it's time to drop it.

Last edited:

Where in the world do these 'journalists' come up with half the stuff they manage to get published? I find it hard to believe that during the Jubilee Year William would clear his and his wife's diaries for a several months. They're involved in the Olympics as well, so it sounds highly unlikely that will haul themselves off to Wales and stay there until he is done with his RAF duties. I guess only time will tell, but I'm just a bit skeptical here.

William is working full time as a SAR pilot. That means doing 12 hour shifts in what can be a very intense and dangerous environment. I don't blame him for not wanting to do lots of engagements in his down time. Also, he's determined to be made a Captain and if he's taking lots of time away from work that's going to take even longer.

It seems they want to keep the spotlight on the Queen, and Charles as her heir, as much as possible in the lead up to the Jubilee celebrations. It didn't go unnoticed, for example, that when Kate went to Leicester with the Queen and DoE, all the papers put Kate on their front pages the next day, without the Queen. If Kate is performing public engagements all the attention goes to her no matter what the other royals are doing.

I understand that William is full-time pilot but Kate is free so she could help senior members of BRF with engagements during Jubilee and after that. She seems enjoy meetings with people and conducts her duties well. I don't understand why her husband want to keep her in palace. For Kate it's time to gain some experience, get used with royal life, something what give her benefits in the future.

I take that article with a huge grain of salt. Katie Nicholl (or her "source") can't get even basic details right. The article states, "William doesn't really go out anymore and Kate never did'. In what alternate universe did Kate never go out? :lol:

And those two have stop going out (to clubs) a few year before the wedding

Did she approve? We don't know that. We don't even really know how much real authority she has to influence his actions.. We still aren't even 100% that they are on holiday. I was raised that attending funerals, wakes, memorials etc were also a sign of respect for the primary mourners as well.
She could have commanded their a.sses back home if she felt like it. Atleast, it's what I would think.

And those two have stop going out (to clubs) a few year before the wedding

IMHO they stopped going out the moment Catherine was accepted at William's former home Clarence House by Charles and Camilla. From then on they didn't need a club to meet with their friends but could invite them to their own apartment.

The Queen holds considerable authority. Need we forget that she basically told William what he would be wearing on his wedding say? He wanted to wear something different but she put her foot down and William admitted himself, when the Queen tells you to do something, you do it.

We also heard all sorts of stories about William and Kate not wanting to have a big wedding, or wanting to limit guests to strictly friends and family. They didn't get their own way on that one either.

William is stubborn, and prefers to be in control of his own life, as he's admitted himself. But, as we say here, he knows what side his bread's buttered on.

The Queen holds considerable authority. Need we forget that she basically told William what he would be wearing on his wedding say? He wanted to wear something different but she put her foot down and William admitted himself, when the Queen tells you to do something, you do it.

We also heard all sorts of stories about William and Kate not wanting to have a big wedding, or wanting to limit guests to strictly friends and family. They didn't get their own way on that one either.

William is stubborn, and prefers to be in control of his own life, as he's admitted himself. But, as we say here, he knows what side his bread's buttered on.

Exactly. If the Queen had wanted the entire family to be there, it would've been mandatory--and they all would've been there. I don't know what exactly William's rationale was for not going and really neither does anyone else. It's pure speculation. Just like no one knows for sure why Zara wasn't there.

I have my doubts that William ever thought his wedding would be the relatively small affair that Zara's was. He might have wanted a small wedding, but I doubt he ever thought it would be. I suspect he always knew it would be an "event". Probably the debatable points were the exact magnitude of it.

I have yet to see or read anything that suggests that his relationship with his father's side of the family is anything other than good. He seems quite close to them, but that doesn't mean he'll be present for every family occassion either.

For a recent discussion, I think, that HM gave W and K her Malta time with DoE, and WK has one very important duty for Monarchy to have a heir, this is IMHO big engagement more important than jubilee or service...

Empty and off topic posts have been deleted.

The topic generates too much money to remain without pictures. I never had any doubt they were on yet another holiday. It just suits their mindset.
Most of the british public will be like *sigh* and whatever Kate has done in the six weeks without William will be swiped away by the lazy & workshy image she's got and wont get rid of, poor girl, must be exhausted from her royal part-time job, showing up on a handful of occasions, partly headed by her hardworking in-law family.

Before I head off to bed, here's a bigger picture of the magazine cover .
Twitpic - Share photos and videos on Twitter
HELLO! Magazine ‏ @hellomag Good morning and happy @hellomag day! This week we have world exclusive photos of William and Kate skiing..
If I've got this right they went on honeymoon in May came back June things began to start up July/August they were on tour came back spent a weekend in Balmoral in August I think and the rest of the year had appearances. They spent the rest of Christmas/ New year's with the Middletons. I think they spent about a week in the Carribean with the Middleton's around that same time. Wills was deployed in late January early February. Kate worked for 6 weeks doing solo engagement and getting to know her charities as well as spending time with Wills family. Wills came home in late March and they spent one week on the slopes. William goes back to work tomorrow I believe and they still have the Jubilee and Olympics to deal with plus their other normal engagements.

Last edited:
Please note that off topic and speculative posts about a Cambridge pregnancy have (and will continue to be) deleted as off topic.

Let's stay on topic with the Cambridge current events.

Yes, the Queen informed William that he had to wear the umake niform of the Colonel of the Irish Regiment for his wedding.

Well that decision makes me go :ohmy: because the uniform wasn't that great. Queen Grandmama needs to have a talkin to by the fashion police.

So after the appearance at the Each hospice we were told it would be about a month before we'd see the Duchess again(no word on whether she'd be with the Duke on her next appearance) Some talk about it this morning

I'd expect based on what I've heard and what we've been told to expect something mid April.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom