Duke and Duchess of Cambridge Current Events Thread 2: December 2011-April 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Tbh unless we get pics we can't ever be 100% certain but Richard says apparently the Middletons have been spotted.

I would take everything Richard Kay says with a pinch of salt. His 'insider knowledge' on the BRF ended when Diana was killed. Everything he writes seems to be coloured with resentment that the RF is not all about Diana anymore.

I'll wait until I see photos / confirmation from other reporters before believing him.

I am now convinced they are not there. The paps would of had a picture by now. :lol:

:previous:
Not necessarily.
The paparazzi actually very rarely get pictures from royal holidays, unless the royals want or are careless enough to be snapped.

I do hope William and Kate haven't taken another holiday though; that's one certain way to alienate British public in times of economic woes.
William and Harry have enjoyed a lot of goodwill from not only their countrymen, but people across the world, mostly because of the tragedy that happened with their mother; however, William in particular may find that good will is not endless.

I do hope William and Kate haven't taken another holiday though; that's one certain way to alienate British public in times of economic woes.

At first I thought the same like you, Artemisia.:flowers: But when I thought about it I started to feel that it is not my place to tell other people how much holiday to take and where to go. William is at the moment a full working pilot still in education to become a commander of his aircraft and he has scheduled time off and time for holidays.

besides in his free time he and his wife work for charities. They have an enormous correspondence and as far as is known, they do read their mail and they do respond, even with the help of a secretary.

Both William and Catehrine come from families with money in the background, so have enough means of support.

In the future, they know they will have to work for the people nonstop till they drop dead or are due to their health situation no longer able to do their workload. There won't be any form of retirment in which to travel the world, enjoy their time spontaneously etc.

When in the Uk they are fair play for the paps.

So why should they not go on holidays as long as they can? Their situation is simply not comparable to that of other people, their economic situation is not affected by the crisis, their future is relatively secure. What they need is children. Any change of scenery is good for that aim (my son was conceived in the wilderness of the Duoro valley in Portugal, of all places! Just when I started to believe I might be barren...)

They will have to feel the bad situation lots and lots of people in the UK live in regularily in the future, as they are truly compassionate people and working for charity means to meet those affected any time they step out in their Royal roles. Isn't it a tough job to be wanting to help but having to know that it's just a drop of water on a hot stone? That you can't really change something substancially, only aide and show support?

I believe Catherine has experienced some really unique situations and feelings these weeks when she did Royal duties without William. So she has the need to share this with her husband and partner in her personal team. Isn't a change of scenery and staying in private in a quieter place in the mountains a good place to clear the head and start working on evalutae her experiences? :flowers:

Every word you say is true and usually, I would agree with you. I wouldn't expect anyone to tell me how many vacations I can take because that's my business.
However, the British Royal Family is very dependant on public opinion; they are not like the rest of us. With great power and means comes also great responsibility and, unfortunately, limitations.

The last thing William and Kate want or need are comments like this (from DM comment section):
- What, another holiday?
- Now we know why Kate waited for so long; she got the good life.
- Kate wants to rest from all the hard work, all the dressing up, waving and shopping must have been exhausting.
- Long break from his wife? It was just a couple of weeks: soldiers risk their lives and don't see their families for months!

Now, DM is hardly the source to quote, and most of the comments are unfair and quite bitchy, but they tend to stick.

Last edited:
So why should they not go on holidays as long as they can? Their situation is simply not comparable to that of other people, their economic situation is not affected by the crisis, their future is relatively secure.

Like having one's cake and eat it :eek:

I guess the reason why QEII & DoE are enjoying this enormous respect is because of their sense of duty and service to the country - dedicating one's life to it - and not because they made use of their position by holidaying around the world various times a year, because they can afford it (thanks to the public that is). There is a certain modesty to them together with the sense of duty - something that William & Kate have lacked so far in their life apart from attending events.

My guess is that because William got so much credit for who he is, who is mother was and what the circumstances of his childhood were, he feels entitled to all of this. I doubt the patience and goodwill of the public will be endless. After Queen & Duke are gone, these two will have to fasten their seatbelts, and at this point the holiday & workshy image will backfire big time.

I hardly call being a search and rescue pilot "workshy". When The Queen and The Duke are gone well William would be heir and will do his duty. :flowers:

My guess is that because William got so much credit for who he is, who is mother was and what the circumstances of his childhood were, he feels entitled to all of this. I doubt the patience and goodwill of the public will be endless. After Queen & Duke are gone, these two will have to fasten their seatbelts, and at this point the holiday & workshy image will backfire big time.

Neither William or Kate have ever come across to me as being people with a grandiose sense of entitlement. From what I've come to believe is that William has always been made aware of who he is and what his life is destined to be but he's also been made very much aware of the world around him that didn't include candy coating. Kate over a period of roughly 10 years before her marriage had also become well educated into the life in the Royal Fishbowl and chose to share that life with Willam. At this point in time in their lives, they are not full time working royals but yet the constant fish eye lens scrutiny this couple undergoes is such that they will have for the rest of their lives regardless of where they go and what they do.

On the subject of holidays and where they go and what they do, really I don't think is anyone's real concern. If they can afford to do it, they absolutely should. Y'know, the thought of them being criticized for spending on a trip away somewhere when the times are rough for so many all over kind of reminds me of the logic behind my mother telling me to clean up my plate and think of the starving children in China. The way I saw it, what I ate or didn't eat really didn't do a dang thing for a kid 1000s of miles away from me. Yes they do have protection officers with them 24/7 and there are expenses to be met for that but my logic is that there would be expenses incurred no matter where Wills and Kate were.

These two are doing exactly what they're supposed to be doing. Where they're doing it is still a whole lot of speculation and seems to me they've done a good job of staying under the radar.

Like having one's cake and eat it :eek:

After Queen & Duke are gone, these two will have to fasten their seatbelts, and at this point the holiday & workshy image will backfire big time.

I really don't see it this way, though I understand your concern as a Royalist. But - I don't think people have change so much during the last centuries and the Royals always got away with that kind of lifestyle, as long as their realm was intact and people were not really left to starve. Most of the British people believe they can "afford" to have their monarchy still intact, IMHO.

Yes, papers write article to bring forward the "envy factor" (German: Neidfaktor) and lots or readers answer to that. But they do it anonymously. I bet if the same people are invited by their church congregation or a charity or their town to greet the Royals on a walkabout, they'll gladly come and wave their Union Jack.

It is always the feeling that some are better and some have more, that brings out the envy factor. OTOH mankind would not be there where we are today (be that positive or negative) if there wasn't envy and personal greed. Greed tends to be a force that builds (even at the cost of others) and envy is a force that destroys or tries to destroy but it's just different sides of the same coin. To grant others something and to indulge yourself is the other pole to that. As long as people are able to live within these poles, nothing will bring them to actually do something to change things radically. So let them rant!

If you have as much staff as these two and a position of power, you can always influence the public opinion. Not when you have an antagonist and morality against you, like in the Charles-Camilla-Diana-triangle but when you are in a unique position like William & Catherine, you get away with anything besides homicide out of greed.... IMHO, of course.

"The Duke and Duchess need to rethink their strategy, take advice from the Queen and if the current workload is all Catherine is going to do, then that needs to be made more clear and preferably by the Queen."

I wrote that as part of post #653 when discussing some of the exceedingly negative comments about the Duke and Duchess and I still think it is needed.

I agree with all the balanced reasonable comments on here about costs, being apart, etc., and I particularly like Osipi's comparison, but the drip drip drip of poison has an impact.

Holiday is a tactical error. New strategy required.

Holiday is a tactical error. New strategy required.

They can't win anyway. If you play for the public you die by the public. If you don't play for the public, but for you, you at least have more fun in life before you die... And who says William wants to be king anyway? :D

I think your last point is very interesting. Crossed my mind more than once.

"The Duke and Duchess need to rethink their strategy, take advice from the Queen and if the current workload is all Catherine is going to do, then that needs to be made more clear and preferably by the Queen."

To my knowledge, there's been official statements to the effect that for the duration of time that William is a full time SAR pilot, the couple would be focused on that lifestyle and do limited engagements as time permitted.

Odd fact to realize too is that so far in 2012, Kate's official royal engagements surpasses William's.

An update up March 22nd 2012 - the number in brackets is the figure from last week:

HRH The Duke of Cambridge - 2 (2 no change)
HRH The Duchess of Cambridge - 26 (24 up 2)

(Thanks to Iluvbertie who has been tracking this in the Number of Duties by the BRF thread.)

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f23/number-of-royal-duties-by-brf-2012-a-32798.html

I agree Osipi about what was said at the beginning - it was mentioned at both the engagement and marriage I think. But it does need reinforcing. Preferably by someone very senior and not the Duke or Duchess of Cambridge (edited)

This so called holiday is pure speculation. William has been back a week. I bet he is already back to work. :flowers:

I hardly call being a search and rescue pilot "workshy". When The Queen and The Duke are gone well William would be heir and will do his duty. :flowers:

I agree, but I think there are some out there who would love to see William do his shifts with SAR, then go directly home, get cleaned up, put on a suit and tie and attend some 'worthy' function (and it can't be a film premiere, because you know, too much glamour, even if the money spent on tickets will be going to charity). No matter what, these people cannot and most likely never will satisfy everyone around them. However, they're doing what works for them right now, and in the first years of marriage, that's paramount. They'll be doing enough duties to fill up their diaries a lot sooner than we all think, but then there will be something else people will gripe about :bang:.

Neither William or Kate have ever come across to me as being people with a grandiose sense of entitlement. From what I've come to believe is that William has always been made aware of who he is and what his life is destined to be but he's also been made very much aware of the world around him that didn't include candy coating. Kate over a period of roughly 10 years before her marriage had also become well educated into the life in the Royal Fishbowl and chose to share that life with Willam. At this point in time in their lives, they are not full time working royals but yet the constant fish eye lens scrutiny this couple undergoes is such that they will have for the rest of their lives regardless of where they go and what they do.

On the subject of holidays and where they go and what they do, really I don't think is anyone's real concern. If they can afford to do it, they absolutely should. Y'know, the thought of them being criticized for spending on a trip away somewhere when the times are rough for so many all over kind of reminds me of the logic behind my mother telling me to clean up my plate and think of the starving children in China. The way I saw it, what I ate or didn't eat really didn't do a dang thing for a kid 1000s of miles away from me. Yes they do have protection officers with them 24/7 and there are expenses to be met for that but my logic is that there would be expenses incurred no matter where Wills and Kate were.

These two are doing exactly what they're supposed to be doing. Where they're doing it is still a whole lot of speculation and seems to me they've done a good job of staying under the radar.

Well said :flowers:.

You're correct. William is very aware of what goes on around him. If he wasn't, he won't have picked the charities that he picked, and won't be such a hands-on patron. If he choses to take a holiday with his wife, that's pretty much his business (especially if he has the private funds to do such with). His going on a holiday or not going on a holiday is not going to either drop or boost the economy at home, so why is it all of a sudden his problem? He serves his country by working as a SAR pilot, and if that's acceptable to his Grandmother, then who the he** are any of us to judge him?

William and Catherine made it pretty clear that they wanted to live as a military couple for the first few years of their marriage, and make few appearances (as his schedule will allow). They're doing exactly that, and I say, let them. I have no doubt that when push comes to shove, both of them will step up to the plate and do what is expected.

:previous: Let's hope you are right. And, yes, I expect William to come home from a hard day of navigating, put on a tux and do a charity event...and Kate should be with him, prepared to give a 2-hour speech and then do circus tricks for another 1-1/2 hours.

:previous: Let's hope you are right. And, yes, I expect William to come home from a hard day of navigating, put on a tux and do a charity event...and Kate should be with him, prepared to give a 2-hour speech and then do circus tricks for another 1-1/2 hours.

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: I love your sense of humor. I really do :D. I think once in a while it's perfectly acceptable to go from his shift to an engagement (he did just that when they visited Royal Marsden this past fall), though I'd pass on circus tricks from Catherine while she's in a fancy dress and high heels. There may be some very drastic consequences (though the idea is certainly a good one to use for a charity fund raiser :D).

Kate can always walk the tightrope; she's doing it anyway so she should be well-accustomed to it!:D

Last edited:
Not necessarily.
The paparazzi actually very rarely get pictures from royal holidays, unless the royals want or are careless enough to be snapped.

Once upon a time that may have been the case, but now the royals (specifically the younger ones) are papped quite often on vacation. In fact, this year alone there have been photos of William and Kate on vacation with her family, Beatrice and Dave in Mustique, Harry and Eugenie's ski vacation and Eugenie and her boyfriend on holiday.

Now, that's not to say that the royals haven't been able to have private vacations, but this new age of social media has really made it quite difficult for them (and even celebs) to go anywhere without having photos appear.

As for William and Kate's vacation, who knows? First they were in Mustique, then they were seen in Verbier and now it's France. Unless photos appear, I don't know if we'll ever find out where they actually went.

Last edited:
Kate can always walk the tightrope; she's doing it anyway so she should be well-accustomed to it!:D

Don't you realize that they've not been on vacation all this time but actually teaching Lupo the royal ropes of jumping through hoops and how to properly bark at appropriate times? OH.. almost forgot... learning NOT to dig up Grampa Charles prize flowerbeds when he's visiting Highgrove too. :lol:

Don't you realize that they've not been on vacation all this time but actually teaching Lupo the royal ropes of jumping through hoops and how to properly bark at appropriate times? OH.. almost forgot... learning NOT to dig up Grampa Charles prize flowerbeds when he's visiting Highgrove too. :lol:

The image I have of this in my head is priceless (especially the one of Lupo diligently digging up Charles' plants :D).

The image I have of this in my head is priceless (especially the one of Lupo diligently digging up Charles' plants :D).

Dogs visiting vegetarian households don't dig up flowerbeds - because they have no bones to bury... :D But I'm sure he will love a good chew on the pillows...

Oh for God's sake...The man's been away on duty in the Falklands for six weeks and we all know what Kate's been doing. If they went on Holiday to both unwind a wee bit and also reconnect after a stressful two months for them, then Good For Them!!

It's not a mistake or a miss step in strategy. It's a blinking holiday for crying out loud for two people who obviously would not have gone if they thought it would be looked at negatively. Especially after the last two months and that William literally got home little over a week ago. More than likely he's on leave, so..!?!

Good Grief!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom