Duke and Duchess of Cambridge Current Events Thread 2: December 2011-April 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Richard Palmer ‏ @RoyalReporter The March 30 service at Windsor will mark the 10th anniversary of the deaths of the Queen Mother and Princess Margaret.
When asked about William and Kate's attendance
So there you have it folks. I guess time will tell whether or not they will be able to attend. And also found out they are not allowed to disclose the times.

Also when asked whether or not there are any pics of the Duke and Duchess being reunited.
Richard Palmer ‏ @RoyalReporter @OurLovelyDofC Er, if they were, they haven't given it to us yet. I know the MoD and palace weren't planning to put out any new photos.
Just got word:
Rebecca English ‏ @RE_DailyMail Duke& Duchess of Cambridge only senior royals not to attend service for Queen Mum and Princess Margaret next week.charles,Camilla,Harry will

Rebecca English ‏ @RE_DailyMail St James's Palace: the couple have prior commitment -but surprising they will miss Windsor Castle service to mark 10th anniversary of deaths

Last edited:
It wouldn't surprise me a bit if they were headed up to Balmoral (William's little house) for a bit of R&R.

It bugs me a bit like I kinda think they should be there. I dunno. I know that William had a few days off and then he was scheduled to go back to work.

Yes, they should be at the memorial. Especially as they are being described as senior royals.

Last edited:
I am sure the prior commitment must be super important if they can't make it. Hopefully we will find out what it is.

ghost_night554 said:
It bugs me a bit like I kinda think they should be there. I dunno. I know that William had a few days off and then he was scheduled to go back to work.

I really hope it's not a vacation that will keep them from the thanksgiving service.

Last edited by a moderator:
Royal reporters right now are betting their money that the prior commitment is prob a pre-planned mini holiday. From what I read Wills is scheduled to have some time off then back to work along with royal duties.

Yes, they should be there. Especially as they are being described as senior royals.

They are being called senior royals by the Daily Mail. Says everything.

This service is not mentioned on the Royal website at all but currently it states that Prince Edward is away on royal duties and so he won't be attending.

All we know for certain is that Prince William is due back on duty in a few days and will be on his normal shift and they have already organised something else.

And this thread is full of wishes that they spent time together. It isn't a terrible thing if they can't attend.

:previous: Agree to disagree. I see it differently. And, every once in a while, the DM gets it right.

:previous: that's ok KittyAtlanta - that's what makes the forums go round

Yes, they should be at the memorial. Especially as they are being described as senior royals.

I suspect that the queen has approved them not being present. And if you ask me, if it's ok with the Queen, it should be ok with everybody else. After all, they was HER mother and her sister. Evidently, the queen is satisfied with the work William and Kate are doing for their country.

I am sure the prior commitment must be super important if they can't make it. Hopefully we will find out what it is.

Making the next heir? :D

And hey: it's just a church service in memory of great-grandmother and great-aunt. It should be up to the family to see who wants to attend. Here in Germany we often have services where nobody or only one member of the family attends, just the priest was asked to pray with the congregation for the late family members. It's a very personal thing, IMHO. No need to make a duty out of it. Especially after being away for 7 weeks and the wife still in need to become a mother to produce heir and spare. Because that is her dynastic job, not attending church services and keep the limelight (even though it's not by purpose) on her instead of the late ladies.

But my, I am glad that Catherine has Camilla and HM as her closest In-laws and not some of the members here.....

Last edited:
Hmm. Wonder why. Maybe everyone is doing some official appearance somewhere or has some prior engagement? Odd.

Hmm. Wonder why. Maybe everyone is doing some official appearance somewhere or has some prior engagement? Odd.

Or they're just spending Easter with themselves. It's not like Christmas.

And hey: it's just a church service in memory of great-grandmother and great-aunt. It should be up to the family to see who wants to attend. Here in Germany we often have services where nobody or only one member of the family attends, just the priest was asked to pray with the congregation for the late family members. It's a very personal thing, IMHO. No need to make a duty out of it. Especially after being away for 7 weeks and the wife still in need to become a mother to produce heir and spare. Because that is her dynastic job, not attending church services and keep the limelight (even though it's not by purpose) on her instead of the late ladies.

But my, I am glad that Catherine has Camilla and HM as her closest In-laws and not some of the members here.....[/QUOTE]

We try not to insult one another in the threads. You may say anything you like in private messages.

We try not to insult one another in the threads. You may say anything you like in private messages.

I don't see where I insulted anyone here. If so, I apologize. It wasn't meant that way. But I believe it has been made clear by quite some posters that they as well as I think that some of the critizism heaped upon the Duchess is not deserved. I don't know how much critizism and/or "strict guidance" Catherine receives from HM or Camilla, but judging form the way she interacts with them and acts in public, she seems to be confident that what she does is according to the senior ladies in the family's wishes. Otherwise she would stop and change her ways, as I'm sure she would never do anything to displease Willaim and to offend his family. She knew what she was getting into when she married, she was old enough and I think she is not the sort of woman to change her opinion once she commited to something. Just my view of her, of course. :flowers:

They are being called senior royals by the Daily Mail. Says everything . . . .
But are they being call senior royals by the BRF?

But my, I am glad that Catherine has Camilla and HM as her closest In-laws and not some of the members here.....QUOTE]

How ironic, given that you accused me of being Kate's cousin the other day. Oh, and comical too.

But are they being call senior royals by the BRF?

I haven't seen them quoted as senior royals by BRF but I'm not as wide-read as some on this thread. I'd be surprised though because they are not full-time royals and we have been told that Prince William's service committments are the priority.

They are not full time royals, evident in the fact that William is still doing his RAF training. The simple reason Catherine has done engagements recently is to stop herself being bored. They are involved in the Jubilee and the Olympics later this year, again for obvious reasons. They do not have to attend every engagement the royal family does, William has been away for 6 weeks I imagine the couple want to spend some time together.

I take a pretty Presbyterian view of these things - we each remember and honour those loved ones we've lost every day in our own personal and private way. A big church service is not necessary, strictly speaking, for that to happen.

Last edited:
There must be some particularly important prior engagement that they all have. I certainly can't imagine Charles, in particular, missing a memorial service for his beloved grandmother lightly.

Hang on. It was said that Charles, Camilla, William, Catherine and Harry wouldn't be spending Easter at Windsor. It is only William and Catherine who are not attending the service on the 30th.

Oops, misread it. Fixed.

It's not just a memorial service, it's important service in memory of William's great-grandmother and his granny's sister. He and Kate should be there. If William really has to be in Wales I can understand it, but Kate has nothing else to do, hour or two in London won't hurt her. She can spend long hours at hairdresser so why not at the service? What commitment? They just said that they won't have any engagements soon and now they organized something? Nice holidays with Middletons I suppose.
About not spending Easter in Windsor, I'm not surprised. Last year I have only seen Yorks and Wessexs with EII&DoE. There is no traditions as in Christmas case.

Not attending a memorial service doesn't mean that you didn't appreciate those people or that you don't think about them. I remember my grandmother in my own way and in my own time, I don't need to go to a formal service to do so.

We don't have any concrete evidence that they are not going just some tweet! :whistling:

Just a tweet? I don't even acknowledge tweets!!!! We'll know soon enough. Some posters just can't let stuff go.

What it looks like and what it really is are two different things. As others have said, if the Queen is fine with them not attending then who are we to get upset about how it looks? It was her mother and sister, not ours.
I'm happy Kate has her husband back but it's rather sad that her outings will probably cease; it was nice to see her doing engagements.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom