Duke and Duchess of Cambridge Current Events Thread 2: December 2011-April 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What's next are they going to want to know what kind of underwear Kate wears?

Imagine if they discovered it was La Perla or Ann Summers? :ROFLMAO: Or perhaps the opposite and Catherine favours the more comfortable "granny pant" style like in Bridget Jones. :p:p

:previous:I can't stop laughing!!! I'll bet Kate does prefer grannies.

Might tip off the press, tell them I know a secret about Catherine's underway and ask how much they'll pay. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Might tip off the press, tell them I know a secret about Catherine's underway and ask how much they'll pay. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

OOOH what if we throw out the hint that William goes "commando"? :ROFLMAO:

They might smell a rat if you go for both Kate and William at the same time. Also Bridgette had to hold in her stomach, I don't even know if they make granny panties in Kate's size.

I'm sure Kate could get grannies in her size. I don't want to know anything about William's undies.

Goodness, I can't believe I would even discuss Kate's underwear. That really is personal. My apologies (but it was fun for a moment).

Last edited:
Goodness, I can't believe I would even discuss Kate's underwear. That really is personal. My apologies (but it was fun for a moment).

But it does go to show how inane topics of conversation becomes a big deal to reporters.

Kate has no need for granny pants, she's got no lumps and bumps which require keeping in check. Wish I could say the same!

Obviously, the press became focused on the dog's name because it was a secret so more than likely they got obsessive about digging up the name.

Obviously, the press became focused on the dog's name because it was a secret so more than likely they got obsessive about digging up the name.

Exactly, Baroness. The only reason it became such a big deal is because Will and Kate refused to confirm the name. Had they just released the name when first asked it would have been a single sentence at the bottom of some hack's article never to be brought up again.

Last edited:
Again, it was a stupid dog name; it's not newsworthy and not everything about their lives is a headline. Constantly talking about it and even caring about it is beyond stupid! And my taking part in constantly talking about in in this thread is stupid.

Again, it was a stupid dog name; it's not newsworthy and not everything about their lives is a headline. Constantly talking about it and even caring about it is beyond stupid! And my taking part in constantly talking about in in this thread is stupid.

I agree, which is why I don't understand their intransigence in this instance. The Queen has no problem telling us the names of all her corgies; why would Will and Kate particularly want this kept secret? They just added fuel to the fire.

I too feel a bit silly spending so much time and energy on the name of someone else's puppy.

why would Will and Kate particularly want this kept secret?

Seriously? They have to tell the press everything? This brings in, although amusing as it was, the discussion about the royals underwear. Where is the line drawn between what they're allowed to keep secret and what they aren't. The Queen shares the names of her Corgis? So what? Doesn't mean Catherine and William have to share the name of their dog.

Seriously? They have to tell the press everything? This brings in, although amusing as it was, the discussion about the royals underwear. Where is the line drawn between what they're allowed to keep secret and what they aren't. The Queen shares the names of her Corgis? So what? Doesn't mean Catherine and William have to share the name of their dog.

Where did I state they have to tell the press everything? I don't appreciate the tone of your post.

If you'd read my previous posts on this topic you would see that I completely understand their desire to keep certain things private, like the cause of Kate's scar for instance. This issue is so trivial, however, as to make a mountain out of a molehill. Kate had no problem giving this information to a class of children unprompted, and yet they had previously refused point blank to even confirm the breed of their dog. Certain things are worth fighting to keep private, this just got the press's backs up for no apparent reason.

Where did I state they have to tell the press everything? I don't appreciate the tone of your post.

If you'd read my previous posts on this topic you would see that I completely understand their desire to keep certain things private, like the cause of Kate's scar for instance. This issue is so trivial, however, as to make a mountain out of a molehill. Kate had no problem giving this information to a class of children unprompted, and yet they had previously refused point blank to even confirm the breed of their dog. Certain things are worth fighting to keep private, this just got the press's backs up for no apparent reason.

Yes, it got the press's back up for no reason. IMO, the press look like a bunch of babies throwing their toys out of the pram because they didn't get their way.

I can't believe the press chose something so insignificant to get worked up about. They should have left it alone.

Yes, it got the press's back up for no reason. IMO, the press look like a bunch of babies throwing their toys out of the pram because they didn't get their way.

I can't believe the press chose something so insignificant to get worked up about. They should have left it alone.

It is very possible too that it really wasn't a matter of keeping the pooch's name a huge secret but seriously trying to maneuver the press into realizing that William and Kate prefer that the press focus on the things they do that are of importance rather than turning them into celebrities. I'm also starting to think perhaps this has an influence on how Kate dresses. What she is doing is far more important than what she is wearing. Trying to create a notable rift between royal reporting and celebrity reporting can't be easy.

If this is the case, it increases my respect for this couple.

EIIR said:

I have read your posts, yes this issue is trivial and made a mountain by the press. Catherine was probably told that telling the class full of children the name of the dog would get he media off their backs without actually telling them. It got the press back up because it was kept a secret when they wanted to know, they want to know everything. If they had the opportunity to know which underwear Catherine wore they'd take it. This issue comes with the wider problem of the definition of what the Cambridgeshire are in the royal sense. They claim to lead normal lives, no staff etc. But the parade themselves in front of the cameras, attend the hyped up royal event and release information that just shouldn't be in the public domain. Either be public or be private. You can't expect to get privacy whilst being in the public eye.

I have read your posts, yes this issue is trivial and made a mountain by the press. Catherine was probably told that telling the class full of children the name of the dog would get he media off their backs without actually telling them. It got the press back up because it was kept a secret when they wanted to know, they want to know everything. If they had the opportunity to know which underwear Catherine wore they'd take it. This issue comes with the wider problem of the definition of what the Cambridgeshire are in the royal sense. They claim to lead normal lives, no staff etc. But the parade themselves in front of the cameras, attend the hyped up royal event and release information that just shouldn't be in the public domain. Either be public or be private. You can't expect to get privacy whilst being in the public eye.

I'm sorry, but I haven't heard William or Kate claim anything of the sort. Where have they stated that they lead normal lives? They employ several staff at St James's Palace and are open about doing so.

How can they possibly complete royal duties without, as you put it, parading themselves in front of the cameras? All their duties, even as simple as visiting Centrepoint with whom William has had a long relationship, becomes 'hyped up' because the press know that they make good copy. They sell newspapers, so everything they do at the moment becomes big news.

I think it's pretty sad that you feel being in the public eye means they have no right to privacy. I felt the dog issue was a stupid one to pick a fight with the press over, but they have as much right to privacy as any other public figure, as the Leveson Inquiry is pointing out.

EIIR said:
I'm sorry, but I haven't heard William or Kate claim anything of the sort. Where have they stated that they lead normal lives? They employ several staff at St James's Palace and are open about doing so.

How can they possibly complete royal duties without, as you put it, parading themselves in front of the cameras? All their duties, even as simple as visiting Centrepoint with whom William has had a long relationship, becomes 'hyped up' because the press know that they make good copy. They sell newspapers, so everything they do at the moment becomes big news.

Before the marriage there were dozens of articles saying Catherine and William would remain in Anglesey and lead the life of a military couple. Several articles used the "stay at home wife" expression for Catherine. It was also said Catherine wouldn't do engagement without her husband by her side. I don't see the reasoning behind releasing such information then going back on it less than a year later. Either be a military wife, or be a royal wife. I wasn't talking about St James' I was talking about their home in Wales. And IMO if you're in the public eye, they are only certain issues you can moan about.

So there were 'articles' stating that they will lead a normal life. We all know that such articles are worth less than the paper they're written on. The fact is, William and Kate have never stated that they lead a 'normal life'. I'm sure they're not so stupid as to believe that such a thing is possible for them. They certainly try to live as quietly as they can when in Anglesey, and succeed most of the time, but they've never claimed to be normal. Accusing them of saying so is unfair and untrue.

Before the marriage there were dozens of articles saying Catherine and William would remain in Anglesey and lead the life of a military couple. Several articles used the "stay at home wife" expression for Catherine. It was also said Catherine wouldn't do engagement without her husband by her side. I don't see the reasoning behind releasing such information then going back on it less than a year later. Either be a military wife, or be a royal wife. I wasn't talking about St James' I was talking about their home in Wales. And IMO if you're in the public eye, they are only certain issues you can moan about.

i totally agree with you. wouldnt that be defined as the 'price of fame'?

Sorry, but I disagree with the ultimatum either be public or private, and choose royal or military life. William & Kate are methodically proving to the world that they CAN and WILL strike a heathly balance. For that, I admire them both.

EIIR said:
So there were 'articles' stating that they will lead a normal life. We all know that such articles are worth less than the paper they're written on. The fact is, William and Kate have never stated that they lead a 'normal life'. I'm sure they're not so stupid as to believe that such a thing is possible for them. They certainly try to live as quietly as they can when in Anglesey, and succeed most of the time, but they've never claimed to be normal. Accusing them of saying so is unfair and untrue.

We'll just have to agree to disagree my dear. :)

Sure there were a number of articles, but there were no official statements. YOu can't hold the Cambridge couple accoutable for what a third party chooses to write about them in the press.

Last edited:
The point, it seems to me, is that how could they even remain "private" if they wanted to ... people have been loud enough accusing Catherine of doing nothing, then when she does she is "parading" herself. She is in a can't win situation, IMO. As to the right to privacy ... it seems in recent years the attitude has grown that if one is in the public eye then there is no right to privacy ... it's a trade off. I don't agree with this. Whether a person is well known because they are royalty (by birth) or because they are in the entertainment industry (by choice) does not mean, IMO, that they do not have a right to privacy. There are public "issues" and private "issues" but the press and a great many of the public seem to think that because of birth or choice profession a person loses that right. I don't happen to agree.

I agree that William and Kate never said they lead normal lives, attributing newspaper articles written by people who have probably never met them, does not equate to them "saying they will or are going to do something". And even if they had said this, the fact that they do their jobs by supporting the monarchy does not mean they aren't living as normal lives as they can. Nor is their doing their royal duties "parading" themselves! Are Charles, Camilla, Philip, Elizabeth, and the other family members parading themselves when they do their royal duties? Or is this just a special description for William and Catherine?

Everyone, no matter who they are or how well-known they are, is entitled to personal privacy. Unless what they do in their personal lives affects others to a great or detrimental degree, we don't have a "right" to know everything about them. Not their dog's name, not what Kate buys at the grocery store for their dinner, not what they watch on television. Neither William nor Kate has ever said that they want to have a "normal" life. (What is defined as a "normal life", anyway?) It has been said, probably by Clarence House, if I remember correctly, that they would not employ household help at Anglesey. They initially made use of the office staff at Clarence House, and now they've got office staff of their own. I don't see where they've contradicted themselves in anything that they've said or done. What I do see is that they're trying to live their private lives without major interference from the media and paparazzi.

Everyone, no matter who they are or how well-known they are, is entitled to personal privacy. Unless what they do in their personal lives affects others to a great or detrimental degree, we don't have a "right" to know everything about them. Not their dog's name, not what Kate buys at the grocery store for their dinner, not what they watch on television. Neither William nor Kate has ever said that they want to have a "normal" life. (What is defined as a "normal life", anyway?) It has been said, probably by Clarence House, if I remember correctly, that they would not employ household help at Anglesey. They initially made use of the office staff at Clarence House, and now they've got office staff of their own. I don't see where they've contradicted themselves in anything that they've said or done. What I do see is that they're trying to live their private lives without major interference from the media and paparazzi.

Very well said :flowers:. I agree with you one hundred percent. Yes, they will never have a 'normal' life (whatever 'normal' is, mind you), but I think that they deserve some normalcy, such as their right to keep certain things private. Things such as their purchases at grocery stores, names of pets, favorite TV programmes (though I love the fact that they watch 'Downton Abbey') are not details that the public needs. They don't effect us one way or another, so I say, keep us informed of their charity works, public appearances, and anything else that is 'professional'. Let them keep their private life exactly that, private.

Just watching the Diamond Queen Ep3 and Prince Philip says in regards to a documentary made about the RF back in the 70s, "It's better to tell them than to let them speculate". Maybe Catherine and William took a leaf out of DofE's book? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom