Duke and Duchess of Cambridge Current Events Thread 2: December 2011-April 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's nice that the Duchess of Cambridge took longer to talk to the military representatives. I heard that on her Canada tour she also took longer at the meet and greets. I'm sure it makes people feel like she really cares

Catherine has a very caring spirit it seems. She tends to take her time talking to people and I like that about her. She makes people feel like they are important and not her schedule. Now I dont know how it will be in the future but right now I think its good that she take her time and let the people enjoy her presence.

great pics Duke of Marmalade...thanks for posting...

Last edited:
There are reports on Twitter saying that Kate needed kleenex because she was crying during the movie! I'm not surprised I was moved to tears myself:) Wonder if William was moved by the film.

I had remarked before that I read the book and knew this would be a tearjerker, so I'll have to be equipped with a box of tissues myself. This wasn't just about the atrocities of warfare that affected only the soldiers, but also the horses used in the military.

I also liked the fact that Catherine took her time to talk to the servicemen/women and their families. It shows that she cares about those that she meets. I noticed that she does this almost always (as the time allows of course) during walk-abouts. William I think tends to rush a little (maybe because he wants to get to everyone, or just wishes to be out of the spotlight a little quicker). I hope Catherine never loses that about herself. It adds such a warm touch.

As to the film, I'm hesitant about seeing it because I really won't want to sit in a movie theatre and bawl my eyes out. Would be a little awkward. However, I'm very interested in seeing the film, and knowing that I cry at a drop of a hat, I will be sure to have some kleenex ready nearby.

Now, some articles/videos that were posted on my twitter.

Video: Kate Middleton and Prince William attend War Horse premiere - Telegraph

Kate wept at War Horse, says Spielberg | Showbiz

As to the film, I'm hesitant about seeing it because I really won't want to sit in a movie theatre and bawl my eyes out. Would be a little awkward. However, I'm very interested in seeing the film, and knowing that I cry at a drop of a hat, I will be sure to have some kleenex ready nearby.

That's why I'll wait for the DVD at my library and watch it at home, if I do; I'd need the theater seat next to me for the amount of tissue boxes I'd have to bring!:sad:

Last edited:
Members of the cast were invited....

...to the champagne reception at BP. Was Joey included?:)

If the horse dies then there is no way I'm seeing this movie. Scratch that if "any" horse dies or gets shot then I'm not seeing it; animals that are hurt should be banned from the world.

^^^^
Its a movie not real life. In real life, in a real war, both men and animals die or are maimed.

Last edited:
Personally, I like the fact that Kate became emotional, it shows her human sensitivity, im.

Its a movie not real life. In real life, in a real war, both men and animals die or are maimed.

But the realism of the filmmaking, special effects, intense plot and so on that depict real events is what grabs at the gut. And Steven Spielberg excels at that, which makes me always susceptible.

Last edited:
I also liked the fact that Catherine took her time to talk to the servicemen/women and their families. It shows that she cares about those that she meets. I noticed that she does this almost always (as the time allows of course) during walk-abouts. William I think tends to rush a little (maybe because he wants to get to everyone, or just wishes to be out of the spotlight a little quicker). I hope Catherine never loses that about herself. It adds such a warm touch.

I am with you,whenever she talks to people it shows her warm,caring personality and it´s always great to be a good communicator when you are in a public role like her.Prince William has always seemed to be more introverted and didn´t talk to the press as much and as easy as other royals.It is just speculative but I believe it has a lot to do with the fact that he had seen his mother being "hunted" mercylessly by the paparazzi and so he is trying to talk to them only when it is necessary.Dorothy Rowe,a well-known psychologist and author assumes that a good relationship is formed of someone who is extroverted (outgoing) and an introvert (introspective)-they complement each other and build a succesful union!Just judging from what I have seen/read in the media,I believe William and Catherine show every sign of a happy couple and I wish that they will stay so for a long time:flowers:

Btw,I also cannot see horses (or any animal) being harmed,they are so innocent and can´t run away or defend themselves like we can.I get very emotional when I see films that are sad and/or show a lot of violence,I also need a handy tissue when it gets very intense...

I am with you,whenever she talks to people it shows her warm,caring personality and it´s always great to be a good communicator when you are in a public role like her.Prince William has always seemed to be more introverted and didn´t talk to the press as much and as easy as other royals.It is just speculative but I believe it has a lot to do with the fact that he had seen his mother being "hunted" mercylessly by the paparazzi and so he is trying to talk to them only when it is necessary.Dorothy Rowe,a well-known psychologist and author assumes that a good relationship is formed of someone who is extroverted (outgoing) and an introvert (introspective)-they complement each other and build a succesful union!Just judging from what I have seen/read in the media,I believe William and Catherine show every sign of a happy couple and I wish that they will stay so for a long time:flowers:

Btw,I also cannot see horses (or any animal) being harmed,they are so innocent and can´t run away or defend themselves like we can.I get very emotional when I see films that are sad and/or show a lot of violence,I also need a handy tissue when it gets very intense...

I think your assumptions about William are correct. I remember reading biographies of him that were published in late '90s and early 200s, and what they all had in common was the statement of how much William detested the press. I can understand why he doesn't like them and why he would want to avoid them. I think he has struck the right balance though by talking to them just enough to keep them off his heels.

Catherine is definitely the extroverted one in the relationship. It's very obvious when she talks to the public (though William seems to really light up when he's talking to children). Their dynamic reminds me of a married couple of theatre actors; the wife is very extroverted and can handle the public (I'm sometimes baffled by how similar her and Catherine are when dealing with their admirers; their smiles light up the room), but her husband is very quiet, and almost content to walk in his wife's shadow. He's very mellow, while she's very animated (and that can be very intimidating to someone like me, who's very shy). I think that type of balance works in marriages between public figures. Both parties can be of help when it comes to working the crowd; there's the appeal to all types, shy and animated.

Maybe she is a reserved extrovert because she doesn't seem like the obnoxious kind of extrovert like Miley Cyrus. She seems more to be the type of person who is comfortable with herself and in her own skin; either that or she is a great actress.

Maybe she is a reserved extrovert because she doesn't seem like the obnoxious kind of extrovert like Miley Cyrus. She seems more to be the type of person who is comfortable with herself and in her own skin; either that or she is a great actress.

Catherine is definitely not a cheerleader-type extrovert. However, she's definitely lively, and thankfully not to the point of jumping up and down when meeting someone. That would definitely make me want to go and run for the hills.

I agree. Catherine is quite comfortable in her own skin. She carries herself with total confidence and enjoys herself doing so.

She certainly seems very comfortable easily meeting and mixing with a number of people which is a valuable social skill for anyone to have, let alone for someone in her position. This could be daunting for many people.

Last edited:
...Btw,I also cannot see horses (or any animal) being harmed,they are so innocent and can´t run away or defend themselves like we can.I get very emotional when I see films that are sad and/or show a lot of violence,I also need a handy tissue when it gets very intense...

Are you vegetarian or vegan? If not, I suggest you visit an abbatoir. Not picking at you, because I like you, but it must be one way or the other.

I don't plan to see the movie or read the book, as I am very sensitive to animal welfare, while still understanding the necessity of the war horse in times past, and war dogs in the present.

Since this is a children's book, it wasn't graphic but anyone can use their imagination based on the description of horses on a battlefield. I think it would be impossible for me as well to watch this movie since animal welfare is a hot topic for me, despite the reality of using animals in wartime situations. I couldn't even watch the movie "Water for Elephants" based on the novel, and that was mild in comparison to what this movie depicts.

Last edited:
I`m all for treating animals well, but it sometimes seems as if people care more about the treatment of animals than they do about their fellow human beings, as in death of animals in a movie seem to have more impact that the death of men in the same movie. JMO

I`m all for treating animals well, but it sometimes seems as if people care more about the treatment of animals than they do about their fellow human beings, as in death of animals in a movie seem to have more impact that the death of men in the same movie. JMO

Yes, you are correct, to a point. (Without going into the food chain of wild animals...Man perpetrates death on other men AND animals.) We are a bloodthirsty species. JMO

I'll not comment further as we're already way off topic.

Are you vegetarian or vegan? If not, I suggest you visit an abbatoir. Not picking at you, because I like you, but it must be one way or the other.

I don't plan to see the movie or read the book, as I am very sensitive to animal welfare, while still understanding the necessity of the war horse in times past, and war dogs in the present.

I have decided to eat no meat & fish,but I believe that buying meat from organic farms is also an acceptable alternative to the mass production where animals are suffering and treated with no respect...
Caring about life should include all living creatures,humans and nature.There´s a quirky saying:"I am an advocate for animal´s rights,therefore I am campaigning for treating humans with respect and dignity."

But it´s getting off topic,just wanted to answer your question :)

I have no problem with your views. In fact, they are admirable.

Alright.

Let's move on...back on topic with the Current Events of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom