The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 04:46 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyger View Post
Several people have mentioned this - a 'position of power' - do they? I didn't think there was any power in the BRF. I mean just the hint that Charles may have exercised an ancient ducal right of review of his dukedom (Cornwall) and there were rumbles of breach of constitutional boundaries. What 'position of power' does William and/or Kate have?
The royals have all kinds of 'soft power'. For example, when David Cameron was just a posh young chap fresh out of Oxford and about to attend an interview for a job at Conservative Party Central Office, a telephone call was made 'from within Buckingham Palace' to Conservative Party HQ saying "I understand you are to see David Cameron. I am ringing to tell you that you are about to meet a truly remarkable young man." David Cameron was very quickly employed by the Conservative Party and eventually rapidly rose to become an advisor to the Chancellor of the Exchequer. He would, of course, go on to lead the party and is now First Lord of the Treasury and Prime Minister.

It's not known who exactly made the call from BP, but you can make your own mind up. When the senior royals say something publicly it's listened to and more often than not acted upon. See Prince Charles managing single handedly to get the Chelsea Barracks development cancelled. All it took was a single letter from him to the Qataris involved.

Old 03-28-2012, 06:38 PM
Serene Highness

I've been surprised, since I joined these forums, at the vigor and enthusiasm with which people attempt to critique or construct what the BRF does with its time. Many of these enthusiasts are listed here as being from inside the UK/Commonwealth, I am an outsider. So it seems strange to me that people want to criticize/micromanage the lives of the very people who are supposed to symbolize regency and power within the Kingdom.

It seems like an attempt to maintain the job title of "Queen" or "King" or "Prince" while at the same time, every ordinary person feels they have the right to tell the BRF what to do, at least on forums and in comments on newspapers (or newspaper headlines). If the BRF actually listened to all this advice and criticism, they'd been even less powerful than they already are (is that the point of the criticism? are the critics generally folks who simply don't want any monarchy or aristocracy at all?)

I'm getting used to all the debate about the issue, but at first it surprised me. To me, it seemed as if Royalty are supposed to symbolize some sort of power, if only the power that an ordinary person can exercise over their own lives (but at a Royal level). The rest of us get to go on holiday when we can afford to and when we choose to do so; there are lots of people more rich than I am who get to have much nicer holidays, but it never occurs to me to find someplace where I can go on and on about it.

So Royalty is special - but not in the sense I had originally thought, really. They are specially singled out for scrutiny and values applied to them (many of which seem to say that being wealthy and able to exhibit wealth or leisure..is a bad thing). I shouldn't be surprised. One sees a little grumbling when American celebrities are perceived to get any legal advantages in their battles at court, but other than that, most wealthy people in America aren't scrutinized the way the BRF is scrutinized and most wealthy people do their charity work (if they do it) in a much less public way.

The BRF really stands out as a singular example, in the world, of how the rich and powerful live - complete with a very large contingent of critics among their countrymen. They are born into it, have little choice about it, and it seems like a difficult row to hoe, to me.

Old 03-28-2012, 06:50 PM
Heir Apparent

What is difficult about their lives? As you say, "they" are born to it. They do have a say in how to live their lives. They can withdraw into private life if they desire it enough...hardly any do.

I think the criticisms from without and within UK mostly are disappointments in the BRF, whether it be Kate's fashions, Anne's frugality, Andrew's troubles (Fergie and other), Harry's red nose, etc.

In the end, it doesn't matter one wit what any of us say about it. Forums are vents and, generally, vents tend to be critical.
Old 03-28-2012, 07:33 PM
Courtier

PrincessKaimi I think you are over analyzing things. I think members on here are overprotective. The BRF very popular at the moment. 10 years ago they were talk of the Golden Jubilee being a flop and of course it wasn't. 10 years on there is no such talk in fact local councils are surprised how enthusiastic people are for street parties that they planing months in advanced. For the Royal Wedding a lot of people waited until the last minute. Many think the street parties will outdo the Royal Wedding and even the Silver Jubilee.

The press has been quite kind to them over the last 2 years. I haven't noticed too many negative stories. The comment section on sites like the DM I think you find the positive comments get green arrows and negative comments get red arrows. When I see a lot of red arrows on the DM comment section I have quick read and they all nasty. So I would not take DM comments too seriously.

I think you find it is easier to be critical and more difficult to praise.
Old 03-28-2012, 08:15 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kataryn View Post
Remember when Lady Annabel Goldsmith threatened to give Camilla "the cut direct"? And? Did you see anybody follow her? Camilla and her family is still very much at the bosom of society.
Oooh, this sounds like delicious gossip. Do tell - where might I read about this 'the cut direct' - I don't even know what 'the cut direct' means.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EIIR View Post
The royals have all kinds of 'soft power'. For example, when David Cameron was just a posh young chap fresh out of Oxford and about to attend an interview for a job at Conservative Party Central Office, a telephone call was made 'from within Buckingham Palace' to Conservative Party HQ saying "I understand you are to see David Cameron. I am ringing to tell you that you are about to meet a truly remarkable young man." David Cameron was very quickly employed by the Conservative Party and eventually rapidly rose to become an advisor to the Chancellor of the Exchequer. He would, of course, go on to lead the party and is now First Lord of the Treasury and Prime Minister.

It's not known who exactly made the call from BP, but you can make your own mind up. When the senior royals say something publicly it's listened to and more often than not acted upon. See Prince Charles managing single handedly to get the Chelsea Barracks development cancelled. All it took was a single letter from him to the Qataris involved.
Thank you, EIIR. I guess it boils down to - in a class society, they are at the top of the class (pyramid). In that, there is power, power to influence, etc. Social power as Kataryn said. Thank you both for the insight.

EIIR, who do figure the call was from inside BP?
Old 03-28-2012, 08:39 PM
Heir Apparent

I believe a cut direct is a very public and obvious snub to someone.
Old 03-28-2012, 08:58 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Oooh, this sounds like delicious gossip. Do tell - where might I read about this 'the cut direct' - I don't even know what 'the cut direct' means.

Thank you, EIIR. I guess it boils down to - in a class society, they are at the top of the class (pyramid). In that, there is power, power to influence, etc. Social power as Kataryn said. Thank you both for the insight.

I say the US is more a class society nowadays.
Old 03-28-2012, 09:07 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by royalistbert View Post
I say the US is more a class society nowadays.
Not if you mean 'class' as in the European sense. Definitely not a class society as in the British sense. Are we drifting off-topic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baroness of Books View Post
Thank you. So it didn't work, huh.
Old 03-28-2012, 09:48 PM
Heir Apparent

Seems not, Camilla is at the top of the class echelon nowadays and going strong.
Old 03-28-2012, 10:27 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:

I actually went back to a biography on David Cameron that I read several years ago to have a look. Apparently the caller was male, but I think it's very possible that one of the RF could have asked that the call be made, so they could say that the RF had noting to do with it.

David Cameron, and his wife Samantha would be considered upper class in the UK, Samantha is the daughter of a Baronet and her mother is now married to Viscount Astor (a descendant of William Waldorf Astor after whom the Waldorf Astoria hotel is named). David Cameron is also a distant relative of the Queen. So, it's likely that the royals had some social contact with the Camerons before he became PM.

This could all be way off. Maybe one of the Queen's courtiers knew David Cameron personally and put in a good word from him. But it's always been couched in the phrase 'from within BP' so it's not impossible that it was a courtier acting on behalf of one of the RF.
Old 03-28-2012, 10:51 PM
Heir Presumptive

Won't quote the entire post but shout out to PrincessKami for your analysis and comments. Especially when coming to a message board you will see constant complaint from people about how this royal dresses, wears her hair, goes about doing their job, how much they drink, how many jewels they do or don't wear or who they fall in love with. There are just tons of people who build the BRF and other royals up and try to live through them, and when the reality doesn't match with the fantasy whether it be something as serious as adultery or as trivial as the naming of their child, the criticisms start flying. On the Internet you tend to forget there is a human being behind the pretty pictures and they are living their life as they see fit.
I guess that is the price for modern royalty, they don't have real power and their job is to look pretty, represent the country, give a speech here or there. You can't criticize them for policy so the only thing that's left is their lives and how they live them.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 03-28-2012, 10:55 PM
Administrator

Lets stay on topic....the Current Events of the Cambridges.

Thanks!

Old 03-29-2012, 04:04 AM
Heir Apparent

Was about to head to bed, not feeling too well but saw this and thought I'd post before I head out for the night.
Quote:
British Royals ‏ @britishroyals Harry moves in, & soon a new court will be established at Kensington Palace for Will, Kate & Harry, by @RoyalReporter.. http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/311154/Guess-who-has-moved-in-with-Wills-and-Kate
Nudists want a beach close to Prince William and Kate Middleton's home - Telegraph
Old 03-29-2012, 04:22 AM
Serene Highness

OMG. Leave it to nudists. Hey ghost night you seem to not feel well alot. Are you o.k. ? Just wondering. Hope you feel better. A little concerned. :)
Old 03-29-2012, 10:53 AM
Heir Apparent

Are they in Ski vacations now?Some magazines are saying yes...but no photos...
Old 03-29-2012, 11:03 AM
Heir Presumptive

We don't know. Some journalists are saying they're skiing in France, but then again some journalists said they were skiing in Verbier and still more journalists said they were in Mustique.

Long story short - the press haven't a clue what they're talking about.
Old 03-29-2012, 11:11 AM
Heir Apparent

The Telegraph re the Cambridges and the QM Memorial Service tomorrow
Duke and Duchess of Cambridge miss Queen Mother's memorial service to continue skiing - Telegraph

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 03-29-2012, 11:18 AM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

I think it's safe to say that since they will not be attending the service, while every other senior member of the Royal Family will, they are not in the UK. Plus, the Telegraph actually quotes a St. James Palace spokesman who confirmed that "the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge are unable to attend".
Not a very good PR for the couple.
Old 03-29-2012, 12:00 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost_night554 View Post
Was about to head to bed, not feeling too well but saw this and thought I'd post before I head out for the night.

Nudists want a beach close to Prince William and Kate Middleton's home - Telegraph
Good grief . No words for this one, really. I hope you feel better. Take care of yourself and have some tea and rest .

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 03-29-2012, 12:36 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baroness of Books View Post
That's it. Literally, it is looking directly at someone, failing to acknowledge their presence...that is the cut direct.
- - - - - -
As for the nudists, "It's not the nudists who are really the problem but the people who go and watch them from the trees."

Closed Thread