The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 05:48 PM
Heir Apparent

Well, when they get back, we'll have at least one photo of them on the "speculated" holiday(s).

Old 03-27-2012, 05:48 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
If you notice, I said "with this holiday thing". Whilst we don't know that they have gone, we don't know they haven't. Newspapers can get bored, but this holiday in Verbier has been picked up by 5 different newspapers, and I've read the Mustique visit next month in 3 of the same papers.
They're supposedly not in Verbier though. The papers are now saying they are in France. And before they were "spotted" in Verbier, the talk was that they were in Mustique. The press really have no clue.

Old 03-27-2012, 05:51 PM
Heir Presumptive

I think the attempt at a 'combined' royal and normal life is understandable, and obviously has the support of the Queen and Charles otherwise I doubt it would be happening. The pressure on Kate is intense, the press interest is off the scale and the expectations on her, from the RF, the courtiers, the press, the public and I'm sure herself shouldn't be underestimated. I know she lived with William for a long time before they married, but it's still bound to be a massive shock to the system to go from private individual with a royal boyfriend, to a part of The Firm, public property, whose ability to have any kind of private, normal life is gone forever.

Trying to ease Kate into it all is generally a good plan, and it's more or less succeeded so far, in large part due to the fact that Kate has performed so well. But it's a delicate dance, and they shouldn't spend all the PR capital they've earned so far on an ill-advised luxury holiday. If that's actually what they're doing.
Old 03-27-2012, 06:10 PM
Heir Apparent

Well, if they actually are on vacation I have to give them points for being able to pull it off without anyone getting a picture, because without pictures its all just speculation and the usual "unnamed sources" but it does fill space in some "news"papers.
Old 03-27-2012, 06:18 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
Well, if they actually are on vacation I have to give them points for being able to pull it off without anyone getting a picture, because without pictures its all just speculation and the usual "unnamed sources" but it does fill space in some "news"papers.
Funny thing is we haven't seen any pictures. Do think they are hiding in Balmoral?
Old 03-27-2012, 06:21 PM
Heir Apparent

Latest "information" is: Duke and Duchess of Cambridge have joined her parents, Carole and Michael, plus her younger brother, James, in Meribel in the Trois Vallees ski resort.

Seen a picture but now can't find it (will search further and check when taken but may have been removed) and DM is leading the pack:
William and Kate holiday with the in-laws: Couple hit ski resort with Duchess' parents | Mail Online

Lets just say typical Richard Kay. The opening line is a classic!
Old 03-27-2012, 06:28 PM
Heir Apparent

Well the DM pics are all file pics, I would expect someone to have snapped a pic of this ski trip especially since the paps have been hunting for the couple for a few days now.
If they are there, I hope they have had a good time together with her family. Nice that he seems to have a good relationship with his inlaws.
Old 03-27-2012, 06:52 PM
Heir Apparent

Picture I have seen is one from a previous holiday. So still speculation as no current pics
Old 03-27-2012, 07:17 PM
Courtier

Wherever they are I wish them a good time. William and Catherine are a lovely couple and do not deserve all this criticism. They haven't done anything wrong.

Kate has been brilliant on her solo engagements.

I think everyone needs to give them a break.
Old 03-27-2012, 07:18 PM
Heir Apparent

CNN world exclusive:
CNN exclusive: Prince Harry moves next door to Wills and Kate - CNN.com

I thought this also fit in here since it has partially to do with the Duke and Duchess.

Honestly? For me if William and Kate wanna go on vacation that's they're choice, that's they're business and quite frankly in my opinion I don't think we should sit here and criticize them for it. They should be allowed the same rights everyone else have without being crucified for it. William just came back from the Falklands, Kate's been doing solo engagements for 6 weeks. I don't blame them if they wanted some alone time somewhere nice. Heck I prob would have done the same thing with my husband if I had the opportunity.So I say William , Catherine go and enjoy yourselves have a good time. It's clear to me from all we heard the past 6 weeks how much they miss each other. Plus they have the Olympics and the Jubilee later this year so don't worry they'll make up for any lost time. I honestly think some people just seem to want to pick on the smallest details. It's not like they're doing anything wrong for gods sake all they did was go on vacation yet I feel like some people are acting as if they committed a crime or something.
Old 03-27-2012, 07:49 PM
Gentry

As for Kate not being a fulltime royal, when they got married it was announced that HM wanted them time to be a low-key couple like her and the DoE did when they first got married. Probably a smart move!
William and Kate have every right to go on holiday if they wish. If they have the time & money, go for it. Having said that, if I was a british taxpayer I might gripe over the cost of the security arrangements for the second holiday in 3 months...

The supposed holiday? I think they are in Wales rolling their eyes at all the rumors...besides their walks on the beach and if she stays away from the grocery store, who bugs them there? Perfect, a royal stay-cation! :-)
All just mho; where-ever they are I hope they are enjoying some quiet time.
Old 03-27-2012, 08:59 PM
Nobility

I wouldn't read anything into it.
Wills is fond of kate s parents.
Old 03-27-2012, 09:55 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta View Post
My psychic abilities tell me Wills and Kate are on vacation. Kate's parents keep taking them on vacation...could there be trouble in paradise?
You jest, surely. Shouldn't it be at least a year before any major issues begin to develop?

On a serious note, I highly doubt that it's anything like 'trouble in paradise'. William appears to have good rapport with his in-laws, so it's only natural that they want to go on a joint holiday.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 03-27-2012, 10:08 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kataryn View Post
If you have as much staff as these two and a position of power
Several people have mentioned this - a 'position of power' - do they? I didn't think there was any power in the BRF. I mean just the hint that Charles may have exercised an ancient ducal right of review of his dukedom (Cornwall) and there were rumbles of breach of constitutional boundaries. What 'position of power' does William and/or Kate have?
Old 03-27-2012, 11:55 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta View Post
Let's hope you are right. And, yes, I expect William to come home from a hard day of navigating, put on a tux and do a charity event...and Kate should be with him, prepared to give a 2-hour speech and then do circus tricks for another 1-1/2 hours.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daria_S View Post
I love your sense of humor. I really do . I think once in a while it's perfectly acceptable to go from his shift to an engagement (he did just that when they visited Royal Marsden this past fall), though I'd pass on circus tricks from Catherine while she's in a fancy dress and high heels. There may be some very drastic consequences (though the idea is certainly a good one to use for a charity fund raiser ).

Well, I think they are doing fine - vacations and all. They are young marrieds - handsome and beautiful (everyone is that when they are young) - in love - wealthy - and trying to have a baby. That's enough to fill the days. With some weekend outings. They need to relax and have fun. But that's me.
Old 03-28-2012, 03:31 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
Did I miss something, when did the Middleton's get taxpayer funded security?
Of course they dont but when they holiday with William & Kate they benefit from the arrangements made for the royals because they share the same things with them (hotel, outside events).
Old 03-28-2012, 11:52 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
Of course they dont but when they holiday with William & Kate they benefit from the arrangements made for the royals because they share the same things with them (hotel, outside events).
Here in Germany any person who is in danger can ask for police protection, not only politicians etc. Of course there are several levels of danger - in some areas police patrols often during the night because it is considered necessary, in others they don't appear at night. Etc.

Obviously in the UK it is assumed that due to their position in life Catherine and William are always potentially endangered and thus have constant police protection. So when Catherine's family joins them, they, too, are endangered, no? Not as much as the Royals, but at least there is some dangers they share. Eg There is a higher probability that a gunman shoots at William and Catherine than targeting Catherine's parents when he has the chance to shoot one shot only at the group. But if someone plans to bomb their table at a restaurant, the Middletons are endangered, too, because they sit on the Royals' table. TThus the Middletons have a right to share in such a situation William and Catherine's protection.

Same on an official engagement: police will not only protect a Royal there, but take care of all those as well, who by consorting with the Royals are endangered. That's why the taxpayers pay for police: so that they are all protected, Royal or not, according to their individual level of danger.
Old 03-28-2012, 11:57 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyger View Post
Several people have mentioned this - a 'position of power' - do they? I didn't think there was any power in the BRF. I mean just the hint that Charles may have exercised an ancient ducal right of review of his dukedom (Cornwall) and there were rumbles of breach of constitutional boundaries. What 'position of power' does William and/or Kate have?
Social position? Information they can give or give not, which is very valuable to a editor, so they have a position of negociation. Behind closed doors Royals can veto honours for journalists.. All kind of influence because people want more from them than they need these people.

Remember when Lady Annabel Goldsmith threatened to give Camilla "the cut direct"? And? Did you see anybody follow her? Camilla and her family is still very much at the bosom of society.
Old 03-28-2012, 12:04 PM
Courtier

Yet if there was any incident the public would complain, why weren't they properly protected. The public moan no matter what. I think it's just this country's character. It's a lose lose situation.
Old 03-28-2012, 03:11 PM
Heir Apparent

In other news...
Prince William and Kate Middleton's Anglesey invite | Mail Online

Closed Thread