The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 11:44 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by EIIR View Post
While I agree with you, Bert, unfortunately if William and Kate head off abroad the taxpayer has to pay for the travel and accommodation costs of their bodyguards. I'm assuming they'd have at least 2 or 3 when together. The costs of that can be significant, so royals need to be careful with where and how often they travel abroad for personal reasons.
Well I read somewhere that when members of the RF go on holiday they pay for all their expenses themselves and no taxpayer money goes towards it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
Problem is: it wont go down well with the public and like any other RF, the BRF is very image-concerned. True, Kate has done a few events in the past weeks but yet another holiday could get her back fast track to the lazy and workshy image (not that she has gotten rid of it already anyway).
Well after 6 weeks William deserves a break with his wife. This is just a one off. I'm sure the RF won't allow it to become a trend. If this story is true at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta View Post
Yes, I understand your point of view. Do you understand mine and those of others?
Yes of course I understand.

Old 03-26-2012, 11:52 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by EIIR View Post
It seems to come from reports that Kate was seen in a ski shop.
I did see a tweet from one of the royal reporters mentioning that sighting, but he later went on to say that it was all speculative - he wasn't really sure if the sighting was valid.

According to PlanetSKI, they haven't been spotted in Verbier.

PlanetSKI | News | Prince William and Duchess of Cambridge in Verbier

Old 03-26-2012, 12:30 PM
Serene Highness

The DM just loves to create controversary. For instance, just Catherine walking Lupo and trying to train him (which any responsible owner would do) THEY say he is being trained as a hunting dog, merely because she is using a whistle (which many people use to train their dogs) and then spend the rest of the article writing (probably straight out of a manual) about all the signals used with hunting dogs. Of course this brought out all the anti hunters in force making really obnoxious remarks. AND ALL BECAUSE CATHERINE WALKED LUPO AND USED A WHISTLE FOR TRAINING. I have to say that there are many really vicious, jealous people who post remarks at the DM ... and I'm sure the DM love it. That paper comes very very close to being irresponsible. They rate along with the National Enquirer in this country, IMO.
Old 03-26-2012, 12:51 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by soapstar View Post
I did see a tweet from one of the royal reporters mentioning that sighting, but he later went on to say that it was all speculative - he wasn't really sure if the sighting was valid.

According to PlanetSKI, they haven't been spotted in Verbier.

PlanetSKI | News | Prince William and Duchess of Cambridge in Verbier
No pictures just repeating what the tabloids are saying.
Old 03-26-2012, 12:54 PM
Heir Apparent

Wills and Kate are probably rolling around laughing at these media reports while at their vacation retreat in Anglesey or Balmoral.
Old 03-26-2012, 02:20 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by royalistbert View Post
Well I read somewhere that when members of the RF go on holiday they pay for all their expenses themselves and no taxpayer money goes towards it.
That's incorrect. The security officers' travel and accommodation plus expenses are paid by the tax payers. This came up during Eugenie's gap year:

Quote:
Although Eugenie, who is paying for her own travel, has booked economy airfares and is bunking down with friends in £15-a-night beachfront hostels, her security officers are travelling business class and staying in upmarket hotels. Expert sources have calculated that the cost of their flights, expenses, accommodation and overtime will amount to around £50,000 for the six-week trip.That includes the cost of paying for two officers - at the rank of inspector or sergeant - to accompany her, both of whom claim more than £150 a day in subsistence allowances while they are abroad.
See:
Just why are we paying Princess Eugenie's £100,000 gap-year security bill? | Mail Online
Old 03-26-2012, 03:24 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by royalistbert View Post
No pictures just repeating what the tabloids are saying.
Oh no, I agree that the majority of the article is a rehash from the tabloids. I only posted the article because they specifically mention that no one has seen William and Kate in Verbier.

IMO, it sounds like the tabloids got it wrong. I mean, unless they are hiding in Verbier, someone would have gotten pictures of them out and about or at least on the slopes.
Old 03-26-2012, 05:12 PM
Heir Apparent

I'm thinking they're def not in Verbier we would have heard something by now. I did hear something about them maybe being in Mustique so maybe that's where they went. Or maybe they all have it wrong and they're just spending the week in Anglesey.

Here's the mustique tweet
Quote:
Richard Palmer ‏ @RoyalReporter @sofia09870 @Mariebeth21 I'm speculating, clearly. I know of a couple of people who've been told they'll be in Mustique at the same time.
Old 03-26-2012, 05:29 PM
Serene Highness

William is very adept on vacation avoidance tactics... wasnt it New Years Eve it was announced he was going to Scotland - then went to Bucklebury. No confimations, no photos...... my guess the Cambridges are enjoying a few days of some R&R quietly and alone - prob in Wales, or at a friend's estate... somewhere away from photographers. Living in a fishbowl must be terible.

good for them.
Old 03-26-2012, 08:19 PM
Heir Apparent

If they went to Mustique or Verbier, I would think there would have been a sighting now - spotted at the airport or some one tweeting. What is funny all the newspaper articles just reference the initial Daily Mirror article. I feel sorry for the poor photographer that has Anglesey supermarket duty. If Wills is going back to RAF Valley, this week -surely Kate has to hit the supermarket since she seemed to spend most of her time in London while Wills was gone.
Old 03-26-2012, 10:19 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Depends what you class as "together". It is their first Easter as a married couple, but most definitely not their first Easter together.
I meant "as a married couple." I thought that part of my statement was fairly obvious. Naturally, they have each lived through other Easters and, presumably, had a chance to be together (although possibly not - since they may each have spent it with their own families).

But this is definitely and without question their first as a married couple (and possibly their first, entirely, we don't know that).
Old 03-26-2012, 10:42 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
If they went to Mustique or Verbier, I would think there would have been a sighting now - spotted at the airport or some one tweeting. What is funny all the newspaper articles just reference the initial Daily Mirror article. I feel sorry for the poor photographer that has Anglesey supermarket duty. If Wills is going back to RAF Valley, this week -surely Kate has to hit the supermarket since she seemed to spend most of her time in London while Wills was gone.
They could have somebody shop for them and load their car with food to take with them... No need for a supermarket sighting then for the first few days.
Old 03-27-2012, 01:17 AM
Heir Apparent

Well Beatrice is/was in Verbier. I'm wondering if maybe the original source just got the wrong royal

ETA: Guys I just got an update
Quote:
Richard Palmer ‏ @RoyalReporter So those who thought Courchevel for William and Kate seem right. The Middleton family is there and now one paper reports so are the couple.We've not seen Will and Kate in Courchevel but Carole, James and Pippa were sighted and now there are reports that the Cambridges are there.
Old 03-27-2012, 01:40 AM
Commoner

The newest information is that Prince William and Catherine are with her parents and brother, James, skiing in France. This sounds like much more fun than sitting around in underwear watching tv, and I hope they have a wonderful time together.

William and Kate holiday with the in-laws: Couple hit ski resort with Duchess' parents - OPRAH NYC CELEBRITY NEWS IN REAL TIME
Old 03-27-2012, 01:51 AM
Royal Highness

And again we won't be sure if it is true, as there are even pics from the past to show them with the Middletons in Courchevel: from 2010...

Kate Middleton's game of hide and ski with Prince William | Mail Online
Old 03-27-2012, 02:03 AM
Heir Apparent

Tbh unless we get pics we can't ever be 100% certain but Richard says apparently the Middletons have been spotted.
Old 03-27-2012, 07:35 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Apparently they have been spotted at Meribel Trois Vallees ski resort in the French Alpes.

William and Kate holiday with the in-laws: Couple hit ski resort with Duchess' parents | Mail Online
Old 03-27-2012, 07:58 AM
Heir Presumptive

I would take everything Richard Kay says with a pinch of salt. His 'insider knowledge' on the BRF ended when Diana was killed. Everything he writes seems to be coloured with resentment that the RF is not all about Diana anymore.

I'll wait until I see photos / confirmation from other reporters before believing him.
Old 03-27-2012, 08:03 AM
Courtier

I am now convinced they are not there. The paps would of had a picture by now.
Old 03-27-2012, 09:06 AM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Not necessarily.
The paparazzi actually very rarely get pictures from royal holidays, unless the royals want or are careless enough to be snapped.

I do hope William and Kate haven't taken another holiday though; that's one certain way to alienate British public in times of economic woes.
William and Harry have enjoyed a lot of goodwill from not only their countrymen, but people across the world, mostly because of the tragedy that happened with their mother; however, William in particular may find that good will is not endless.

Closed Thread