The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #521  
Old 03-22-2012, 06:33 AM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: alpine village, Germany
Posts: 1,868
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Easter isn't that special. It's just a holiday.
If you are a Christian, then Easter is at the absolute center of believe. Christmas is just about that the messiah was born - Easter is when he fulfilled his promise and died for us to take on our sins and to save us. After three days he was resurrected. So while on Christmas christians celebrate that with the birth of jesus hope was born, on Easter they celebrate the fulfilling of the promise: that death can be conquered and that the Lord is forgiving and willing to save those who believe in him.

I'm not saying that this makes Easter anymore important - and yes, I know it was just taken over from the pagan spring festivals in honour of the Nordic goddess Ostara. But still, if you are religious minded, then Easter is more important than Christmas. That's why a lot of people still are aware there is a Lenten Season for fasting before Easter but have mostly forgotten that the days of advent were fasting days, too.
__________________

  #522  
Old 03-22-2012, 06:35 AM
muriel's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: London / Guildford, United Kingdom
Posts: 6,375
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Easter isn't that special. It's just a holiday.
I take it that was just designed to be provocative?
__________________

  #523  
Old 03-22-2012, 06:36 AM
muriel's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: London / Guildford, United Kingdom
Posts: 6,375
Quote:
Originally Posted by agami.pearl View Post
But it looks like they don't care too much.
To whom does it "looks like they don't care too much"?
  #524  
Old 03-22-2012, 06:38 AM
Duke of Marmalade's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Posts: 11,563
Re the Easter discussion: It should be important not only for the Head of Church of England but also for those who will follow her in that position.
  #525  
Old 03-22-2012, 06:39 AM
EIIR's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Somewhere, United Kingdom
Posts: 2,658
Of course Easter is important for Christians. What it is not, however, is a holiday whereby families get together in large numbers. Certainly not anymore. At Christmas families come together to celebrate and spend time with one another. The same cannot be said of Easter - at least not in modern Britain. My family come together at Christmas and we have a big dinner etc. At Easter this is just not the case.
  #526  
Old 03-22-2012, 06:42 AM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: alpine village, Germany
Posts: 1,868
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
Re the Easter discussion: It should be important not only for the Head of Church of England but also for those who will follow her in that position.
I'm sure Catherine and William will attend a church service, wherever they are.

But I understand your point. In our family, Easter has always been as important as Christmas. We all come together at my mother-in-law's house and have a wonderful day there before travelling on to visit my mother and my side of the family on monday. But of course, here in the South of Bavaria a lot of old religious traditions are still kept very much alive, such as decorating the Easter fountains where the whole village joins in, baking special bread for Easter sunday, to eat fish or vegetarian dishes on Good friday, when dancing and music is not allowed in public etc.
  #527  
Old 03-22-2012, 07:17 AM
CharlotteAmalia's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: in the south of Germany, Germany
Posts: 143
It probably depends on your religion and your tradition. We do not know if W. and C. are really relgious.

At least in my family easter is still a huge event.

It all starts with the thursday before easter, when we are not allowed to eat meat. We don't fast between carneval in Feb. and easter, but we kept the tradtional way of foods for easter and the few days before.
On friday everything in the house is quite. You are not allowed to do anything (like laundry, sweeping). It happened once that the neighbors yelled at me, when i teared weeds out.
We usually have an regional food for lunch ("maultasche" similar to ravioli Maultasche - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia which contains meat but it is okay somehow because the meat is concealed under the pasta dough and cannot be seen by God. I know it is pretty strange, but it's tradition).

Saturday is pretty normal, but on Sunday and Monday we usually have a hugh lunch with our relatives. The kids will do an egg hunt after breakfast. And the children get lots of presents (like a bike or rollerblades, and of course chocolate and easter eggs).
  #528  
Old 03-22-2012, 07:28 AM
Duke of Marmalade's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Posts: 11,563
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kataryn View Post
I'm sure Catherine and William will attend a church service, wherever they are.

But I understand your point. In our family, Easter has always been as important as Christmas. We all come together at my mother-in-law's house and have a wonderful day there before travelling on to visit my mother and my side of the family on monday. But of course, here in the South of Bavaria a lot of old religious traditions are still kept very much alive, such as decorating the Easter fountains where the whole village joins in, baking special bread for Easter sunday, to eat fish or vegetarian dishes on Good friday, when dancing and music is not allowed in public etc.
Well, its all about the image. I guess the BRF attend lots of events that they - if they were Joe Bloggs - would never ever go to. Whether they value Easter in private or will visit a church in private is irrelevant.

What is important is what they do in the public eye, for everyone to see. The future Heads of the Church of England not attending for whatever private reasons is not acceptable to me. Its their function after all, those who represent insist that Britain is a Christian country and it goes without saying that those representants should visibly lead by example.
  #529  
Old 03-22-2012, 07:56 AM
EIIR's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Somewhere, United Kingdom
Posts: 2,658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
Well, its all about the image. I guess the BRF attend lots of events that they - if they were Joe Bloggs - would never ever go to. Whether they value Easter in private or will visit a church in private is irrelevant.

What is important is what they do in the public eye, for everyone to see. The future Heads of the Church of England not attending for whatever private reasons is not acceptable to me. Its their function after all, those who represent insist that Britain is a Christian country and it goes without saying that those representants should visibly lead by example.
There's a big difference between not spending Easter at Windsor with the rest of the family, and not celebrating Easter at all. I'm sure Charles and William will attend Church somewhere at Easter, or perhaps celebrate it privately by visiting one of the RF's private chapels, which is their right. The fact that they don't choose to be in Windsor at Easter doesn't mean they don't care that it's Easter. There's no need to extrapolate that fact out to their somehow being unfit to be titular head of the Church of England. Are you a member of the CofE? You seem to be very agitated about this.
  #530  
Old 03-22-2012, 08:08 AM
Duke of Marmalade's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Posts: 11,563
Quote:
Originally Posted by EIIR View Post
There's no need to extrapolate that fact out to their somehow being unfit to be titular head of the Church of England. Are you a member of the CofE? You seem to be very agitated about this.
The church of England is not of my personal concern but I feel that represenatives of such an institution (or any other, for that matter) should lead by example. As I said before, personal preferences of those representatives are irrelevant when it comes to represent the core values of what the institution stands
for. Easter is a big deal here, indeed.

Feel free to disagree.
  #531  
Old 03-22-2012, 09:00 AM
EIIR's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Somewhere, United Kingdom
Posts: 2,658
Charles and William are not representatives of the Church of England, they might be one day if the church is not either disestablished or broken apart by its ongoing disagreements on female bishops and homosexuality. We see them going to church services often enough for people to realise that they're part of the CofE communion. Given that the vast majority of people in the UK don't attend church of any hue, they're actually rather exceptional in going to church as often as they do.
  #532  
Old 03-22-2012, 10:25 AM
KittyAtlanta's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: KittyLand Junction, United States
Posts: 3,126
This seems to have turned into a vent regarding the validity of the Church of England. For those who are not religious, so be it. No need to grind on and on. For those of us who are religious, same thing. I find it amusing that non-religious people celebrate Christmas with such gusto. Easter is the most important observance in Christendom.

I'm finished with this "discussion."
  #533  
Old 03-22-2012, 10:35 AM
Dierna23's Avatar
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: -, Germany
Posts: 3,589
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
The church of England is not of my personal concern but I feel that represenatives of such an institution (or any other, for that matter) should lead by example. As I said before, personal preferences of those representatives are irrelevant when it comes to represent the core values of what the institution stands
for. Easter is a big deal here, indeed.

Feel free to disagree.
I agree. Completely.

And if it is true that they will be just on holidays and that's the reason why they will not attend the memorial service for the Queen Mother (Will was her favorite great-grandchild after all) and Princess Margaret, then I find that a pretty sad thing to be honest...
  #534  
Old 03-22-2012, 10:40 AM
EIIR's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Somewhere, United Kingdom
Posts: 2,658
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta View Post
This seems to have turned into a vent regarding the validity of the Church of England. For those who are not religious, so be it. No need to grind on and on. For those of us who are religious, same thing. I find it amusing that non-religious people celebrate Christmas with such gusto. Easter is the most important observance in Christendom.

I'm finished with this "discussion."
Where were we discussing the validity of the CofE? We were discussing the relationship of certain members of the BRF with the CofE, which is entirely appropriate in the British forums.

Although given that you've announced that you're "finished" with the discussion, there's probably no point in my asking.
  #535  
Old 03-22-2012, 01:14 PM
ghost_night554's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 3,785
Diamond Jubilee: Kate Middleton and Prince William to join Queen on carriage ride | Mail Online
  #536  
Old 03-22-2012, 01:51 PM
CrownPrincess5's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Beverly Hills, California, United States
Posts: 2,555
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade

While I agree that they will be out of the focus in order to shift priority to the Queen & her jubilee, I had to chuckle when I read Well she's been going hard for 6 weeks. Poor girl if this has stressed her out. I am so tired of people giving Kate some credit for being six weeks without her husband and doing a handful of events herself, partly babysitted by her in-laws.

Its always stressed that William is a full time air rescue pilot and that they lead an army life. "normal" army wives have their husbands away for much longer, have to raise kinds on their own, and a heavy workload every single day of the week.

Obviously its part of the plan that W&K dont do more at this stage therefore its pointless to critizise how little they do but at the same time I dont get the hype or praise for what Kate does - or is expected to do, its her job to get out and about as she defo is to be counted among the senior royals, along with Queen & Duke and C&C.

If she does well, I can only say, what else is she supposed to do with so much time on hand to learn & practise?
Well said!

I'm personally tired of people treating Kate like shes some fragile glass. Greeting people and shaking hands is not what I consider "going hard". Who knows, Perhaps she'll take this time off to work on her public speaking skills...she desperately needs to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG
I beg to differ. To Her Majesty and millions of Christians around the world, both Protestant and Roman Catholic, Easter is the culmination of Lent, starting with Maundy Thursday, Good Friday's Crucifixion and then Easter. Historically, the celebration of Our Lord's Resurrection is a time of joy, hymns, celebration, and light.

Most churches repeat the proclamation taken from the gospels and standard from the early second century of the church:

He is Risen!

He is Risen indeed!J

. . . just a holiday? I think not!
My words exactly.
I'm a Christian and besides Christmas, Easter is extremely important. It's definitely not just a holiday!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EIIR
Of course Easter is important for Christians. What it is not, however, is a holiday whereby families get together in large numbers. Certainly not anymore. At Christmas families come together to celebrate and spend time with one another. The same cannot be said of Easter - at least not in modern Britain. My family come together at Christmas and we have a big dinner etc. At Easter this is just not the case.
That's because Easter does not involve the giving of gifts like Christmas. If gifts were given out during Easter many a family would gather together IMO.
__________________
I don't dream at night, I dream all day. I dream for a living.
-Steven Spielberg
  #537  
Old 03-22-2012, 02:23 PM
LadyGabrielle's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: kapaa, United States
Posts: 1,190
Thank you ghost night for the article. Will be nice to see William and Catherine in the carriage with the Queen and Duke. As for the Easter discussion, I think it might be getting a little heated. Lets all breathe. :)
  #538  
Old 03-22-2012, 02:50 PM
Patra's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Southern, United States
Posts: 2,215
I love that Kate and William will be riding in the open carriage with the Queen and Duke, reminds me of their blissful wedding day last year!
__________________
Patra
God is in the Details.....
  #539  
Old 03-22-2012, 02:52 PM
Dierna23's Avatar
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: -, Germany
Posts: 3,589
Isn't it likely that all royals, also the minors, will ride in carriages for the celebrations?
Right now I don't remember how it was back in 2002...
  #540  
Old 03-22-2012, 02:54 PM
MichelleQ2's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Los Angeles, United States
Posts: 1,038
Quote:
Originally Posted by corazon View Post
why this days don't are like in the 80`???? I remenber when all the royal family go to easter. the queen is only with the wessex, yorks sometimes and anne.

Maybe I have missed something but I didnt take this as they weren't celebrating/honoring Easter - only that they would not be attending Easter services with HM at Sandringham. William has had a lot of special requests on his time in service and will continue with the Olympics and the Jubilee celebrations. I took this announcement that the Cambridges would be in Angelesy. Maybe Kate's parents will visit them, maybe they will go to local or base church services. But William working a holiday and allowing another man in his squad to have the time off with their family is a good thing and not disrespectful of the holiday.
__________________

Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Popular Tags
ascot 2016 best gown best gown september 2016 best hat best outfit catherine middleton style coup d'etat crown prince haakon crown princess mary crown princess mary fashion crown princess mette-marit current events duchess of cambridge dutch state visit e-mail fashion poll grand duke jean greece journalism kate middleton king abdullah ii king felipe king felipe vi king willem-alexander margrethe ii member introduction monarchy new zealand nobel gala norway november 2016 october 2016 opening of parliament picture of the week prince bernhard prince charles prince joachim princess charlene princess eugenie fashion princess laurentien princess marie princess mary princess mary daytime fashion princess mary fashion princess mary hats queen letizia queen letizia casual outfits queen letizia daytime fashion queen letizia fashion queen letizia style queen mathilde queen mathildes outfits queen maxima queen maxima casual wear queen maxima daytime fashion queen maxima fashion queen maxima hats queen maxima style queen rania royal fashion september 2016 state visit state visit to denmark succession sweden the duchess of cambridge the duchess of cambridge casual wear the duchess of cambridge daytime fashion the duchess of cambridge fashion the duchess of cambridge hats


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:00 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2016
Jelsoft Enterprises