The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 05:24 AM
Heir Apparent

Oh dear! I don't know who those people on the coins look like, but they don't look like William and Kate!

Old 03-13-2012, 07:23 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacknch View Post
Hmm, lovely to have these coins minted, but really, the art of getting people's faces right in coin minting seems to have been lost!
To be fair, Ive seen some coins from ancient civilizations and the renaissance period that looked like crap. I believe this is the second time an attempt to put Will*Kate on coins was made, and the second time it failed. They don't look horrible, but they definitely don't look like themselves.

Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 03-13-2012, 09:03 AM
Royal Highness

The worst thing is: we look at coins from the past and believe that people shown on them were idealized. So one day in the future people might actually look at these coins, believe them to be idealized and try to figure out how W&C really looked like. Go figure!
Old 03-13-2012, 10:38 AM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

That has to be one of the worst likenesses ever. If I didn't know who the people on the coins were supposed to be, I wouldn't have guessed.
Old 03-13-2012, 12:38 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost_night554 View Post
Coins to commemorate William and Kate's wedding anniversary.

Two Coins, Two Anniversaries for Britain
Lord have mercy . Those are quite atrocious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post
Nor William. He has the look of someone who's forgotten to put his false teeth in.
I do have to agree here. Very awkward likeness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemisia View Post
That has to be one of the worst likenesses ever. If I didn't know who the people on the coins were supposed to be, I wouldn't have guessed.
True, with the way the likenesses are, it could be anyone. I'm just happy that when they make the likeness of Her Majesty they're able to get it pretty close.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 03-13-2012, 01:05 PM
Heir Presumptive

Not liking the coin depiction either!
Old 03-13-2012, 01:53 PM
Heir Presumptive

I agree that the likenesses are, shall we say, questionable. But, then again, we can't exactly expect the tiny British Virgin Islands to be producing photograph-like depictions.

It'll be interesting to see if Royal Mail / Royal Mint are planning anything for their 1st anniversary.
Old 03-13-2012, 03:30 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost_night554 View Post
Coins to commemorate William and Kate's wedding anniversary.

Two Coins, Two Anniversaries for Britain

Quote:
Nor William. He has the look of someone who's forgotten to put his false teeth in.
Prince Charles, or Prince Phillip?
Kate looks like a Greek/Roman Goddess, who needs her hair washed.
Old 03-13-2012, 05:01 PM
Heir Apparent

Not a good depiction at all, and has Kate ever parted her hair in the middle?
Old 03-13-2012, 05:41 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Personally,I think it kinda looks like William but,I agree but about the teeth!
Old 03-13-2012, 08:30 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kataryn View Post
The worst thing is: we look at coins from the past and believe that people shown on them were idealized. So one day in the future people might actually look at these coins, believe them to be idealized and try to figure out how W&C really looked like. Go figure!
that is hysterical! I don't see how anyone approved those coins - never in a million years would I recognize them as the Cambridges
Old 03-13-2012, 09:17 PM
Heir Apparent

Hopefully, their portraits will still be extant in the future so people will know what they really looked like.
Old 03-13-2012, 09:45 PM
Nobility

When does Prince William arrive back in the UK from his assignment in the Faulkland?
Old 03-13-2012, 11:24 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseroyal View Post

Prince Charles, or Prince Phillip?
Kate looks like a Greek/Roman Goddess, who needs her hair washed.
Actually, I thought she looked like the lady from the Starbucks logo . Well, all the same, terrible, terrible likeness.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 03-13-2012, 11:33 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by csw View Post
that is hysterical! I don't see how anyone approved those coins - never in a million years would I recognize them as the Cambridges
If they were approved just imagine why? Perhaps the one's that weren't approved were much much worse. As for looking at past coins, maybe Cleopatra really was good looking and that coin with her likeness was made by the ancestor of the guy who created this coin of Will*Kate.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 03-13-2012, 11:33 PM
Serene Highness

I'm having to agree with all of you. Whoever did the coins did not even come close to hitting the mark. There is no resemblance at all. Its kind of like those scary wax figures. I would be so embarrassed to even have gone forward with those things. Surely they will do them over right? Or have they already been approved? Shame.
Old 03-14-2012, 04:30 AM
Moderator Emeritus

Commemorative coins from the smaller British territories are often designed and sold by private mints without any direct involvement by the territorial government. The British Virgin Islands don't even have a circulating currency (the US dollar circulates exclusively, and I believe the only BVI coins in the usual circulating denominations were issued in proof sets in the 1970s or 1980s). Quality isn't exactly a huge concern. The coins will be sold for a value well over any possible future resell value (which isn't a problem in and of itself, but the private mints often grossly overstate the degree to which these pieces are valued on the collector's market, fooling people into believing they're some sort of investment), and the territorial government will get a little bit of money from the mint.
Old 03-14-2012, 12:17 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by debrann View Post
When does Prince William arrive back in the UK from his assignment in the Faulkland?
I believe its around the 20th March
Old 03-14-2012, 12:26 PM
Serene Highness

The two coins being made to commorate their anniversary look nothing like them especially william's coin. It would have been nicer if it was their actual likeness on the coins.
Old 03-15-2012, 04:54 PM
Serene Highness

Are there any other commemorative items coming out for the anniversary? I would love to purchase something other than those awful coins.

Closed Thread