The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #401  
Old 02-23-2012, 07:09 PM
Osipi's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 6,629
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Newbie View Post
Yes, it got the press's back up for no reason. IMO, the press look like a bunch of babies throwing their toys out of the pram because they didn't get their way.

I can't believe the press chose something so insignificant to get worked up about. They should have left it alone.
It is very possible too that it really wasn't a matter of keeping the pooch's name a huge secret but seriously trying to maneuver the press into realizing that William and Kate prefer that the press focus on the things they do that are of importance rather than turning them into celebrities. I'm also starting to think perhaps this has an influence on how Kate dresses. What she is doing is far more important than what she is wearing. Trying to create a notable rift between royal reporting and celebrity reporting can't be easy.

If this is the case, it increases my respect for this couple.
__________________

  #402  
Old 02-23-2012, 07:45 PM
Lumutqueen's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Carlton, York, United Kingdom
Posts: 18,121
Quote:
Originally Posted by EIIR

Where did I state they have to tell the press everything? I don't appreciate the tone of your post.

If you'd read my previous posts on this topic you would see that I completely understand their desire to keep certain things private, like the cause of Kate's scar for instance. This issue is so trivial, however, as to make a mountain out of a molehill. Kate had no problem giving this information to a class of children unprompted, and yet they had previously refused point blank to even confirm the breed of their dog. Certain things are worth fighting to keep private, this just got the press's backs up for no apparent reason.
I have read your posts, yes this issue is trivial and made a mountain by the press. Catherine was probably told that telling the class full of children the name of the dog would get he media off their backs without actually telling them. It got the press back up because it was kept a secret when they wanted to know, they want to know everything. If they had the opportunity to know which underwear Catherine wore they'd take it. This issue comes with the wider problem of the definition of what the Cambridgeshire are in the royal sense. They claim to lead normal lives, no staff etc. But the parade themselves in front of the cameras, attend the hyped up royal event and release information that just shouldn't be in the public domain. Either be public or be private. You can't expect to get privacy whilst being in the public eye.
__________________

__________________
We Will Remember Them.
  #403  
Old 02-24-2012, 06:31 AM
EIIR's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Somewhere, United Kingdom
Posts: 2,658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
I have read your posts, yes this issue is trivial and made a mountain by the press. Catherine was probably told that telling the class full of children the name of the dog would get he media off their backs without actually telling them. It got the press back up because it was kept a secret when they wanted to know, they want to know everything. If they had the opportunity to know which underwear Catherine wore they'd take it. This issue comes with the wider problem of the definition of what the Cambridgeshire are in the royal sense. They claim to lead normal lives, no staff etc. But the parade themselves in front of the cameras, attend the hyped up royal event and release information that just shouldn't be in the public domain. Either be public or be private. You can't expect to get privacy whilst being in the public eye.
I'm sorry, but I haven't heard William or Kate claim anything of the sort. Where have they stated that they lead normal lives? They employ several staff at St James's Palace and are open about doing so.

How can they possibly complete royal duties without, as you put it, parading themselves in front of the cameras? All their duties, even as simple as visiting Centrepoint with whom William has had a long relationship, becomes 'hyped up' because the press know that they make good copy. They sell newspapers, so everything they do at the moment becomes big news.

I think it's pretty sad that you feel being in the public eye means they have no right to privacy. I felt the dog issue was a stupid one to pick a fight with the press over, but they have as much right to privacy as any other public figure, as the Leveson Inquiry is pointing out.
  #404  
Old 02-24-2012, 06:41 AM
Lumutqueen's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Carlton, York, United Kingdom
Posts: 18,121
Quote:
Originally Posted by EIIR

I'm sorry, but I haven't heard William or Kate claim anything of the sort. Where have they stated that they lead normal lives? They employ several staff at St James's Palace and are open about doing so.

How can they possibly complete royal duties without, as you put it, parading themselves in front of the cameras? All their duties, even as simple as visiting Centrepoint with whom William has had a long relationship, becomes 'hyped up' because the press know that they make good copy. They sell newspapers, so everything they do at the moment becomes big news.
.
Before the marriage there were dozens of articles saying Catherine and William would remain in Anglesey and lead the life of a military couple. Several articles used the "stay at home wife" expression for Catherine. It was also said Catherine wouldn't do engagement without her husband by her side. I don't see the reasoning behind releasing such information then going back on it less than a year later. Either be a military wife, or be a royal wife. I wasn't talking about St James' I was talking about their home in Wales. And IMO if you're in the public eye, they are only certain issues you can moan about.
__________________
We Will Remember Them.
  #405  
Old 02-24-2012, 07:21 AM
EIIR's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Somewhere, United Kingdom
Posts: 2,658
So there were 'articles' stating that they will lead a normal life. We all know that such articles are worth less than the paper they're written on. The fact is, William and Kate have never stated that they lead a 'normal life'. I'm sure they're not so stupid as to believe that such a thing is possible for them. They certainly try to live as quietly as they can when in Anglesey, and succeed most of the time, but they've never claimed to be normal. Accusing them of saying so is unfair and untrue.
  #406  
Old 02-24-2012, 07:30 AM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: indianapolis, United States
Posts: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Before the marriage there were dozens of articles saying Catherine and William would remain in Anglesey and lead the life of a military couple. Several articles used the "stay at home wife" expression for Catherine. It was also said Catherine wouldn't do engagement without her husband by her side. I don't see the reasoning behind releasing such information then going back on it less than a year later. Either be a military wife, or be a royal wife. I wasn't talking about St James' I was talking about their home in Wales. And IMO if you're in the public eye, they are only certain issues you can moan about.
i totally agree with you. wouldnt that be defined as the 'price of fame'?
  #407  
Old 02-24-2012, 07:43 AM
Patra's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Southern, United States
Posts: 2,215
Sorry, but I disagree with the ultimatum either be public or private, and choose royal or military life. William & Kate are methodically proving to the world that they CAN and WILL strike a heathly balance. For that, I admire them both.
__________________
Patra
God is in the Details.....
  #408  
Old 02-24-2012, 07:48 AM
Lumutqueen's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Carlton, York, United Kingdom
Posts: 18,121
Quote:
Originally Posted by EIIR
So there were 'articles' stating that they will lead a normal life. We all know that such articles are worth less than the paper they're written on. The fact is, William and Kate have never stated that they lead a 'normal life'. I'm sure they're not so stupid as to believe that such a thing is possible for them. They certainly try to live as quietly as they can when in Anglesey, and succeed most of the time, but they've never claimed to be normal. Accusing them of saying so is unfair and untrue.
We'll just have to agree to disagree my dear. :)
__________________
We Will Remember Them.
  #409  
Old 02-24-2012, 08:20 AM
muriel's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: London / Guildford, United Kingdom
Posts: 6,360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Before the marriage there were dozens of articles saying Catherine and William would remain in Anglesey and lead the life of a military couple. Several articles used the "stay at home wife" expression for Catherine. It was also said Catherine wouldn't do engagement without her husband by her side. I don't see the reasoning behind releasing such information then going back on it less than a year later. Either be a military wife, or be a royal wife. I wasn't talking about St James' I was talking about their home in Wales. And IMO if you're in the public eye, they are only certain issues you can moan about.
Sure there were a number of articles, but there were no official statements. YOu can't hold the Cambridge couple accoutable for what a third party chooses to write about them in the press.
  #410  
Old 02-24-2012, 05:40 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Durham, United States
Posts: 1,300
The point, it seems to me, is that how could they even remain "private" if they wanted to ... people have been loud enough accusing Catherine of doing nothing, then when she does she is "parading" herself. She is in a can't win situation, IMO. As to the right to privacy ... it seems in recent years the attitude has grown that if one is in the public eye then there is no right to privacy ... it's a trade off. I don't agree with this. Whether a person is well known because they are royalty (by birth) or because they are in the entertainment industry (by choice) does not mean, IMO, that they do not have a right to privacy. There are public "issues" and private "issues" but the press and a great many of the public seem to think that because of birth or choice profession a person loses that right. I don't happen to agree.
  #411  
Old 02-24-2012, 07:50 PM
XeniaCasaraghi's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: 1729 Noneofyourbusiness Drive, United States
Posts: 2,702
I agree that William and Kate never said they lead normal lives, attributing newspaper articles written by people who have probably never met them, does not equate to them "saying they will or are going to do something". And even if they had said this, the fact that they do their jobs by supporting the monarchy does not mean they aren't living as normal lives as they can. Nor is their doing their royal duties "parading" themselves! Are Charles, Camilla, Philip, Elizabeth, and the other family members parading themselves when they do their royal duties? Or is this just a special description for William and Catherine?
__________________
Princess Grace, April 19, 1956
Princess Margaret Rose, May 6, 1960
Crown Princess Mette-Marit, August 25, 2001
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
  #412  
Old 02-25-2012, 09:45 AM
cinrit's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Deep South, United States
Posts: 391
Everyone, no matter who they are or how well-known they are, is entitled to personal privacy. Unless what they do in their personal lives affects others to a great or detrimental degree, we don't have a "right" to know everything about them. Not their dog's name, not what Kate buys at the grocery store for their dinner, not what they watch on television. Neither William nor Kate has ever said that they want to have a "normal" life. (What is defined as a "normal life", anyway?) It has been said, probably by Clarence House, if I remember correctly, that they would not employ household help at Anglesey. They initially made use of the office staff at Clarence House, and now they've got office staff of their own. I don't see where they've contradicted themselves in anything that they've said or done. What I do see is that they're trying to live their private lives without major interference from the media and paparazzi.
  #413  
Old 02-25-2012, 01:41 PM
Daria_S's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: My own head, United States
Posts: 8,109
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinrit View Post
Everyone, no matter who they are or how well-known they are, is entitled to personal privacy. Unless what they do in their personal lives affects others to a great or detrimental degree, we don't have a "right" to know everything about them. Not their dog's name, not what Kate buys at the grocery store for their dinner, not what they watch on television. Neither William nor Kate has ever said that they want to have a "normal" life. (What is defined as a "normal life", anyway?) It has been said, probably by Clarence House, if I remember correctly, that they would not employ household help at Anglesey. They initially made use of the office staff at Clarence House, and now they've got office staff of their own. I don't see where they've contradicted themselves in anything that they've said or done. What I do see is that they're trying to live their private lives without major interference from the media and paparazzi.
Very well said . I agree with you one hundred percent. Yes, they will never have a 'normal' life (whatever 'normal' is, mind you), but I think that they deserve some normalcy, such as their right to keep certain things private. Things such as their purchases at grocery stores, names of pets, favorite TV programmes (though I love the fact that they watch 'Downton Abbey') are not details that the public needs. They don't effect us one way or another, so I say, keep us informed of their charity works, public appearances, and anything else that is 'professional'. Let them keep their private life exactly that, private.
__________________
"My guiding principles in life are to be honest, genuine, thoughtful and caring".
~Prince William~


I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
  #414  
Old 02-25-2012, 02:05 PM
Lumutqueen's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Carlton, York, United Kingdom
Posts: 18,121
Just watching the Diamond Queen Ep3 and Prince Philip says in regards to a documentary made about the RF back in the 70s, "It's better to tell them than to let them speculate". Maybe Catherine and William took a leaf out of DofE's book?
__________________
We Will Remember Them.
  #415  
Old 02-25-2012, 03:55 PM
cinrit's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Deep South, United States
Posts: 391
Do you mean the documentary that was made in 1969? The Queen is said to regret that she allowed it. In this clip, Princess Anne says she thought it was a mistake:

  #416  
Old 02-25-2012, 04:06 PM
Lumutqueen's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Carlton, York, United Kingdom
Posts: 18,121
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinrit View Post
Do you mean the documentary that was made in 1969? The Queen is said to regret that she allowed it. In this clip, Princess Anne says she thought it was a mistake:
That's the one, it was talked about in the last episode. But slightly off topic, my point was that that little comment from Philip kind of summed up the Lupo incident.
__________________
We Will Remember Them.
  #417  
Old 02-25-2012, 08:51 PM
Daria_S's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: My own head, United States
Posts: 8,109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Just watching the Diamond Queen Ep3 and Prince Philip says in regards to a documentary made about the RF back in the 70s, "It's better to tell them than to let them speculate". Maybe Catherine and William took a leaf out of DofE's book?
This is a very astute way to be, I think, especially when speculation and rumours get out of control.
__________________
"My guiding principles in life are to be honest, genuine, thoughtful and caring".
~Prince William~


I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
  #418  
Old 02-28-2012, 02:26 PM
LadyGabrielle's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: kapaa, United States
Posts: 1,190
Wow great documentary. Thanks for that.
  #419  
Old 02-29-2012, 05:29 AM
muriel's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: London / Guildford, United Kingdom
Posts: 6,360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Just watching the Diamond Queen Ep3 and Prince Philip says in regards to a documentary made about the RF back in the 70s, "It's better to tell them than to let them speculate". Maybe Catherine and William took a leaf out of DofE's book?
In what respect would you like W&C to take a leaf out of the DoE's book?
  #420  
Old 02-29-2012, 06:45 AM
Lumutqueen's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Carlton, York, United Kingdom
Posts: 18,121
Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel

In what respect would you like W&C to take a leaf out of the DoE's book?
If you read what I wrote, I never said they should take a leaf i suggested they may have. Philips comment about telling the press a piece of info rather than letting them speculate was perfect regarding the Ludo situation.
__________________

__________________
We Will Remember Them.
Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Popular Tags
ascot 2016 best gown best gown september 2016 best hat best outfit best outfit june 2016 catherine middleton style coup d'etat crown prince haakon crown princess mary crown princess mary fashion crown princess mette-marit current events duchess of cambridge e-mail fashion poll grand duke jean greece harald kate middleton king abdullah ii king felipe king felipe vi king willem-alexander may 2016 member introduction monarchy new zealand nobel gala norway november 2016 october 2016 opening of parliament picture of the week prince bernhard prince charles princess madeleine princess marie princess mary princess mary daytime fashion princess mary fashion princess mary hats princess stéphanie's fashion & style queen letizia queen letizia casual outfits queen letizia daytime fashion queen letizia fashion queen letizia style queen mathilde queen mathildes outfits queen maxima queen maxima casual wear queen maxima daytime fashion queen maxima fashion queen maxima hats queen maxima style queen rania royal fashion royal visits september 2016 state visit state visit to denmark state visit to france succession sweden the duchess of cambridge the duchess of cambridge casual wear the duchess of cambridge daytime fashion the duchess of cambridge fashion the duchess of cambridge hats


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:46 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2016
Jelsoft Enterprises