Duke and Duchess of Cambridge Current Events Thread 2: December 2011-April 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Verbier report in the DM was not (for a change) negative but the response was really surprising. The comments made by EIIR are correct - bad PR will take some time to reverse.

I agree. I've read some of the posts on the DM site today as the paper is saying that they are going to Verbier. There is a great deal of anger and dislike for Catherine which is now also being directed at Prince William and even comments about him and Harry "milking" their mother's death. Appalling I know.

William and Harry both like to wind-up the press and lay false trails but this can easily backfire and the DM is not going to print an article saying that they printed incorrect information.

The Duke and Duchess need to rethink their strategy, take advice from the Queen and if the current workload is all Catherine is going to do, then that needs to be made more clear and preferably by the Queen.
I should just ignore DM comments.

I don't think their has been an article in the DM about royalty and non-royals were commentators have been anything but negative.

You're quite right. The comments section of the DM is really not the best barometer of public opinion. Most of those people are a few sandwiches short of a picnic, they're often making comments that are potentially libellous, and often in really bad taste. The 'best rated' comments I find are more reflective.

I want Catherine to succeed; I think when she's been out in the public eye she's done a wonderful job, from quadrupling the amount of hockey equipment sold to helping EACH sell out their fund raising bracelets. But, they need to keep the balance right - giving her time to be in Angelsey, able to spend time with William when he's not on a 12 hour shift, but also putting in the hours. I mean, we're told we now won't see any engagement from Kate for at least a month. That's just too long a gap, particularly if there's a luxury holiday in the middle of it.

The Verbier report in the DM was not (for a change) negative but the response was really surprising. The comments made by EIIR are correct - bad PR will take some time to reverse.
I bet you a majority of the public don't even know about it. I bet you most of them don't care. Some of them comments on DM are like they have committed a crime.

Last edited:
:D:D:DA little joke, may be now after 7 weeks to separation in the snow their are marking the hair! ha ha ha:D:D:D

Lumutqueen said:
It's nice that they get to spend some time together, but the couple have only gone through what all military families go through on a more regular basis and even worse when they are sent to the front line.

Completely agree. I know it's hard to be separated but some couples go much longer than 6 weeks.

When did the palace announce they were going skiing? That was just speculation. What was offiially said is that William would have a little time off before he goes back to work. Not one word about what he was going to do. I suspect all the men get the same amount of time off before returning to duty. People are jumping the gun again.

Agreed! Whenever an article has the word "speculation" in it and no pictures or word from the palace to back up their claims, it's probably not true. We have to be careful of our sources.

Also, any time military families and spouses, or any families or spouses for that matter, spend away from each other is rough regardless. Yes other people have had longer spans of times when their loved one was away with the military, but still it's not fun either way and it shouldn't be downplayed.

Last edited:
I don't think the comments to the articles are awful...just peoples opinions. However, in these difficult financial times, I see how the average person COULD wonder about 2 luxury vacations in 7 weeks.

I don't think the comments to the articles are awful...just peoples opinions. However, in these difficult financial times, I see how the average person COULD wonder about 2 luxury vacations in 7 weeks.
But they are not the average person. They have there own money as far as I am concerned they can do whatever they like.

But they are not the average person. They have there own money as far as I am concerned they can do whatever they like.

While I agree with you, Bert, unfortunately if William and Kate head off abroad the taxpayer has to pay for the travel and accommodation costs of their bodyguards. I'm assuming they'd have at least 2 or 3 when together. The costs of that can be significant, so royals need to be careful with where and how often they travel abroad for personal reasons.

Problem is: it wont go down well with the public and like any other RF, the BRF is very image-concerned. True, Kate has done a few events in the past weeks but yet another holiday could get her back fast track to the lazy and workshy image (not that she has gotten rid of it already anyway).

Yes, I understand your point of view. Do you understand mine and those of others?

The press is scrambling to get the scoop on whether William and Kate went to Mustique or Verbier (both have been reported as fact), so it would be funny to find out that they've actually been holed up at Balmoral or Anglesey all weekend. :lol:

When did the palace announce they were going skiing? That was just speculation. What was offiially said is that William would have a little time off before he goes back to work. Not one word about what he was going to do. I suspect all the men get the same amount of time off before returning to duty. People are jumping the gun again.

I was wondering that too. According to a spokesperson, William only had a few days off. That doesn't sound like much time to take a proper vacation.

Last edited:
It seems to come from reports that Kate was seen in a ski shop.

While I agree with you, Bert, unfortunately if William and Kate head off abroad the taxpayer has to pay for the travel and accommodation costs of their bodyguards. I'm assuming they'd have at least 2 or 3 when together. The costs of that can be significant, so royals need to be careful with where and how often they travel abroad for personal reasons.
Well I read somewhere that when members of the RF go on holiday they pay for all their expenses themselves and no taxpayer money goes towards it. :flowers:
Problem is: it wont go down well with the public and like any other RF, the BRF is very image-concerned. True, Kate has done a few events in the past weeks but yet another holiday could get her back fast track to the lazy and workshy image (not that she has gotten rid of it already anyway).
Well after 6 weeks William deserves a break with his wife. This is just a one off. I'm sure the RF won't allow it to become a trend. If this story is true at all. :flowers:
Yes, I understand your point of view. Do you understand mine and those of others?
Yes of course I understand. :flowers:

The DM just loves to create controversary. For instance, just Catherine walking Lupo and trying to train him (which any responsible owner would do) THEY say he is being trained as a hunting dog, merely because she is using a whistle (which many people use to train their dogs) and then spend the rest of the article writing (probably straight out of a manual) about all the signals used with hunting dogs. Of course this brought out all the anti hunters in force making really obnoxious remarks. AND ALL BECAUSE CATHERINE WALKED LUPO AND USED A WHISTLE FOR TRAINING. I have to say that there are many really vicious, jealous people who post remarks at the DM ... and I'm sure the DM love it. That paper comes very very close to being irresponsible. They rate along with the National Enquirer in this country, IMO.

Wills and Kate are probably rolling around laughing at these media reports while at their vacation retreat in Anglesey or Balmoral.:D

Last edited:
Well I read somewhere that when members of the RF go on holiday they pay for all their expenses themselves and no taxpayer money goes towards it. :flowers:

That's incorrect. The security officers' travel and accommodation plus expenses are paid by the tax payers. This came up during Eugenie's gap year:

Although Eugenie, who is paying for her own travel, has booked economy airfares and is bunking down with friends in £15-a-night beachfront hostels, her security officers are travelling business class and staying in upmarket hotels. Expert sources have calculated that the cost of their flights, expenses, accommodation and overtime will amount to around £50,000 for the six-week trip.That includes the cost of paying for two officers - at the rank of inspector or sergeant - to accompany her, both of whom claim more than £150 a day in subsistence allowances while they are abroad.
See:
Just why are we paying Princess Eugenie's £100,000 gap-year security bill? | Mail Online

No pictures just repeating what the tabloids are saying. :whistling:
Oh no, I agree that the majority of the article is a rehash from the tabloids. I only posted the article because they specifically mention that no one has seen William and Kate in Verbier.

IMO, it sounds like the tabloids got it wrong. I mean, unless they are hiding in Verbier, someone would have gotten pictures of them out and about or at least on the slopes.

Last edited:
I'm thinking they're def not in Verbier we would have heard something by now. I did hear something about them maybe being in Mustique so maybe that's where they went. Or maybe they all have it wrong and they're just spending the week in Anglesey.

Here's the mustique tweet
https://twitter.com/#!/RoyalReporter
Richard Palmer ‏ @RoyalReporter @sofia09870 @Mariebeth21 I'm speculating, clearly. I know of a couple of people who've been told they'll be in Mustique at the same time.

Last edited:
William is very adept on vacation avoidance tactics... wasnt it New Years Eve it was announced he was going to Scotland - then went to Bucklebury. No confimations, no photos...... my guess the Cambridges are enjoying a few days of some R&R quietly and alone - prob in Wales, or at a friend's estate... somewhere away from photographers. Living in a fishbowl must be terible.

good for them.

If they went to Mustique or Verbier, I would think there would have been a sighting now - spotted at the airport or some one tweeting. What is funny all the newspaper articles just reference the initial Daily Mirror article. I feel sorry for the poor photographer that has Anglesey supermarket duty. If Wills is going back to RAF Valley, this week -surely Kate has to hit the supermarket since she seemed to spend most of her time in London while Wills was gone.

Depends what you class as "together". It is their first Easter as a married couple, but most definitely not their first Easter together.

I meant "as a married couple." I thought that part of my statement was fairly obvious. Naturally, they have each lived through other Easters and, presumably, had a chance to be together (although possibly not - since they may each have spent it with their own families).

But this is definitely and without question their first as a married couple (and possibly their first, entirely, we don't know that).

If they went to Mustique or Verbier, I would think there would have been a sighting now - spotted at the airport or some one tweeting. What is funny all the newspaper articles just reference the initial Daily Mirror article. I feel sorry for the poor photographer that has Anglesey supermarket duty. If Wills is going back to RAF Valley, this week -surely Kate has to hit the supermarket since she seemed to spend most of her time in London while Wills was gone.

They could have somebody shop for them and load their car with food to take with them... No need for a supermarket sighting then for the first few days.

Well Beatrice is/was in Verbier. I'm wondering if maybe the original source just got the wrong royal:lol:

ETA: Guys I just got an update
https://twitter.com/#!/RoyalReporter
Richard Palmer ‏ @RoyalReporter So those who thought Courchevel for William and Kate seem right. The Middleton family is there and now one paper reports so are the couple.We've not seen Will and Kate in Courchevel but Carole, James and Pippa were sighted and now there are reports that the Cambridges are there.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom